Menu

Are there any Stephen King books fairly appropriate for a 12 year old boy?

I can't remember.

Ds likes thriller stories, and he's been asking incessantly about S.K. I used to like the way he writes, he's got great vocabulary and sentence structure (from what I can remember). However, I don't want anything too horribly disturbing, too sexual, too...anything, really. Cujo? Salem's Lot? Pet Semetary?

If it helps, the last books he's read that really kept him interested were the Gone series by Michael Grant. I'm okay with those (and frankly, I liked them enough to suggest them to him :tongue_smilie:).

I'm too old to pre-read them because I just don't want to spend my time reading that kind of story again. Any Stephen King lovers out there who want to weigh in?

I'd say no. I wouldn't let mine read him at that age. Or at the age they are now as a matter of fact. He always seems to have a nasty sexual side thing going. Could be as mild as an affair, or really graphic stuff. The only one I can think of might be Silver Bullet, but I've only seen the movie, not read the book. Some of the movies leave out his nastier stuff, but it's still in the books.

I heard an interviewer ask him once if he ever went longer than 30 seconds without thinking about sex.

How about The Hunger Games?

The Eyes of the Dragon, but it's not typical Stephen King (it's classic fantasy) so he may not like it as much. If I remember correctly, King wrote it when his daughter (?) wanted to read one of his books and he didn't think any of them were age-appropriate for her.

According to wikipedia, it takes place in the Dark Tower world, but I enjoyed it as a standalone book and so have my kids.

I'm pretty sure Stephen King wrote Shawshank Redemption. I didn't read it, but I saw the movie and don't remember anything objectionable in it. But you can't always tell with movie adaptations: it's possible the book is harsher than the movie. On the other hand, I think it's either a novella or a short story, in which case it would be easier to skim than a novel.

Gosh, it's been a long time since I read these, so I can't be sure there's nothing too objectionable in them, but... I would say The Talisman (fabulous!), maybe The Stand (end of the world, some rough stuff, but so great!), the Gunslinger series (my husband loved these), or Misery (totally creepy and awesome, but not in a horror way). Again, I wouldn't swear to these being entirely appropriate, but I think these might be a good place to start for the tamer (graphically speaking) side of King.

hmmm, I'm thinking back... I've been reading SK for a loooong time. I'd probably start him with The Talisman or Eyes of the Dragon; those are books about boys. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is good, no sex or gore there. The ones you mentioned are disturbing (gore, some sex), but you know what your son can handle. I think I started reading SK with Salem's Lot but I was 15 or so, and then I just went through them at a clip. He's gotten a lot nastier with time, imo.

The only one I can think of might be Silver Bullet, but I've only seen the movie, not read the book.

Silver Bullet is based on Cycle of the Werewolf, which might not be too bad. There is gore, of course; it's a werewolf, after all. :D

Edited by Mejane

No. Absolutely no! I knew a guy who got hooked on SK at a young age.... This is purely anecdotal, of course, but...

Shudder. I will spare you.

Run the other way!

That's what I'm concerned about!

I don't think he can handle really disturbing stuff. But he's on an SK kick lately (probably because I told him he needs to wait). I'll look into the suggestions, for sure. And also the medical mystery guy mentioned.

Any other suggestions?

Not "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" (it's a short story). There's a prison "e-p.a*r" scene in that (I reversed the letters and added some symbols).

"The Long Walk" is a probably 12 year old acceptable short story - it's largely psychological, but it is about boys about that age, so it could go either way.

I don't remember if there's sex in Firestarter. I kind of like King's stories that involve a good government conspiracy. Salem's Lot is about vampires, Pet Sematary deals with pets (and then later a young boy) coming back to life (so sort of zombies, but not exactly).

Gerald's Game is about an abusive husband, so I'd skip that one initially.

IT deals with children being killed (and then children killing the evil clown, who isn't like "John Wayne Gacy" - guy dressed up as a clown, but the clown is supernatural), so that could go either way. Someone else described it thusly

In both It and The Talisman, adults are oblivious to a danger only the kids are able to see, and therefore, they have the burden of saving the world. They feel hopelessly inadequate, but they know they have no choice, so they do it. These are wonderfully realized characters, and again, we are fully immersed in their sense of righteous grievance with the world.

"Stand By Me" (the movie) is based on King's novella "The Body" - another story that has teenagers as the protagonists. That's part of the Different Seasons collection that also includes "Shawshank" described above and "Apt Pupil" which is about a teen who sort of befriends a Nazi in hiding and then starts killing people himself. So, while that one story ("The Body") might be okay, the rest of the book probably isn't.

For what it's worth, you can find pretty detailed descriptions of most of King's books on Wikipedia. You could check individual books and short stories there and see what you find acceptable. I've been reading his stuff since I was a young teen, and I am still a functional member of society.

A similar author is Robert McCammon. His older stuff is very King-like. His most recent books are set in the US at the time of the Revolution and feature a serial killer being tracked by a law clerk.

If you decide to let your child read The Stand by King (post-apocalyptic), you could make it a literary lesson by comparing it to McCammon's Swan Song. DH is a big McCammon fan. He's also mentally healthy :)

Not "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption" (it's a short story). There's a prison "e-p.a*r" scene in that (I reversed the letters and added some symbols).

"The Long Walk" is a probably 12 year old acceptable short story - it's largely psychological, but it is about boys about that age, so it could go either way.

I don't remember if there's sex in Firestarter. I kind of like King's stories that involve a good government conspiracy. Salem's Lot is about vampires, Pet Sematary deals with pets (and then later a young boy) coming back to life (so sort of zombies, but not exactly).

IT deals with children being killed (and then children killing the evil clown, who isn't like "John Wayne Gacy" - guy dressed up as a clown, but the clown is supernatural), so that could go either way. Someone else described it thusly

"Stand By Me" (the movie) is based on King's novella "The Body" - another story that has teenagers as the protagonists. That's part of the Different Seasons collection that also includes "Shawshank" described above and "Apt Pupil" which is about a teen who sort of befriends a Nazi in hiding and then starts killing people himself. So, while that one story ("The Body") might be okay, the rest of the book probably isn't.

For what it's worth, you can find pretty detailed descriptions of most of King's books on Wikipedia. You could check individual books and short stories there and see what you find acceptable. I've been reading his stuff since I was a young teen, and I am still a functional member of society.

A similar author is Robert McCammon. His older stuff is very King-like. His most recent books are set in the US at the time of the Revolution and feature a serial killer being tracked by a law clerk.

If you decide to let your child read The Stand by King (post-apocalyptic), you could make it a literary lesson by comparing it to McCammon's Swan Song. DH is a big McCammon fan. He's also mentally healthy :)

The Body has a short story within a the story about a boy & his gf & she loses her virginity.

Apt Pupil is one of the most disturbing I've ever read. The whole premise of it is something I still think about years later.

Oh gosh, I loved Swan Song so much when I read it many, many years ago. Maybe I should look at re-reading both of these again myself! :D

Not only that... but the protagonist is a woman who's handcuffed to the bed after her husband dies during a sex game. I read it in college and found it disturbing.

I read The Stand in high school and enjoyed it (although it's still creepy).

On Writing would be generally safe (apart from language) :D

I started reading Stephen King when I was 8...and from what I remember there were often sexual situations, swearing and other things I shouldn't have been reading about. I was terrified of my own shadow for many many many years.

Neil Gaiman writes some things for kids.

As a few people around here probably have noticed, I'm much more open-minded about stuff like this- especially sex- than the average person, and even I'd have some reservations about letting a 12yo read Stephen King. I love his books, absolutely adore them, but they just aren't appropriate for that age group.

Except for the Tom Gordon one. And that one was so godawful boring that it might be a good one to let him read- he'd probably stop asking for King books for awhile.

Someone mentioned "It" previously, and I'd say definitely cross that one off the maybe list. I read it as a child, and it creeped me out for YEARS. Seriously. I still get nervous when I'm alone in bathrooms because of that book. I wish I was kidding.

If I had to pick one to recommend, I'd say "The Green Mile." I don't recall there being too much gore, I don't remember any sex, and the story was beautiful. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on any of that. "Lisey's Story" was touching, but there's a lot of domestic violence in it, so you'd have to make the call on whether your son could handle that or not.

I also second Neil Gaiman's books. Some of his are much more age appropriate (although some definitely aren't) and they're every bit as good.

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon is good, no sex or gore there.

That's the only one I can think of.

I remember reading The Green Mile when it was first released. It was a serial originally, if I'm remembering correctly. I had to have been around 12, if not a little younger. I read some of the other books around that same time. It didn't scar me, or even scare me terribly. I probably did scan some passages instead of reading every word.

(Now the Anne Rice books that my mother let me borrow from her - those I found a little disturbing.)

That's the only one I can think of.

I remember reading The Green Mile when it was first released. It was a serial originally, if I'm remembering correctly. I had to have been around 12, if not a little younger. I read some of the other books around that same time. It didn't scar me, or even scare me terribly. I probably did scan some passages instead of reading every word.

(Now the Anne Rice books that my mother let me borrow from her - those I found a little disturbing.)

They weren't the ones she wrote under a different name were they?

I would encourage him to wait, and try to find interesting alternatives.

As another poster mentioned, his books often have a twisted sexual undertone, even when the scenes are far from graphic. Personally, I would prefer my 12-yr-old to read a more detailed but straightforward sex scene, rather than a shorter or vaguer one with that special SK flavor, y'know? Even when there's nothing overtly 'weird' about it, the characters often have a very ugly attitude toward sex in general.

I don't know if it's present in every title, but I would bet that it is to some degree. It has a group sex scene among the main characters, Carrie is of course famous for pairing emerging female sexuality with mass desctruction, and so on. I'm not arguing for or against the way he uses sex in his writing, but I think that one's early exposures to sex/sexuality can really have a strong, long-term imprint.

Oh gosh, I certainly hope not! :lol:

I remember reading all kinds of crazy things when I was younger, including Stephen King, V.C. Andrews and those siblings in the attic and the rat eating and such, and then, of course, Anne Rice (whom I adore, btw). But it is because I *do* remember that I don't want my kids reading those books!

Clive Barker (Hellraiser) has several books written for children that are pretty creepy. My favorite was Thief of Always. I read it many years ago but certain things make me mentally reference it. Mostly my cats. :001_smile:

Abarat was pretty good too

I think I've read them all and the only one I *might* suggest, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, is one of my least favorites.

There are SO many thrillers out there that don't have such mature content. I think that if he's surpassed all the youth fiction that interests him at age 12 (Alex Rider? Young James Bond? Young Repairman Jack series? Dreamhouse Kings series by Robert Liparulo? Tom Clancy's Net Force young adult series? Ridley Pearson's Kingdom Keepers or Steel Trapp books?) then you're going to have to do some previewing. One author that I like because he has less inappropriate stuff is Harlan Coben. His stand-alone novels ONLY, not his Myron Bolitar ones for a kid. There is still going to be some swearing and adult stuff, so you'll have to at least read the back covers.

Some adult authors have written teen/young adult novels based on their main adult character, like Robert Parker's "Spenser", but it's hard to know how much inappropriate stuff there could be without reading yourself.

Clive Barker (Hellraiser) has several books written for children that are pretty creepy. My favorite was Thief of Always. I read it many years ago but certain things make me mentally reference it. Mostly my cats. :001_smile:

That was always one of my favorite books!

I started reading SK in 6th or 7th grade but I had basically run out of books at the library in both the children's and young adult sections so my parent's jsut let me read whatever.

Orson Scott Card has some good books but you might have to preread some of them as I can't recall whether they'd be appropriate or not. Robin Cook was another I started on in junior high. John Saul as well.

Another author of medical thrillers (not sure of appropriateness for a 12 yr old) is Michael Palmer.

Oh gosh, I certainly hope not! :lol:

I remember reading all kinds of crazy things when I was younger, including Stephen King, V.C. Andrews and those siblings in the attic and the rat eating and such, and then, of course, Anne Rice (whom I adore, btw). But it is because I *do* remember that I don't want my kids reading those books!

:lol::lol:

I found those books at the library when I was 17. My mom took them with her on a work trip and accidentally placed them in a box that her boss took.

He brought them back to her and said "Ahem...I believe these must be YOURS??"

She said she wanted to die right there.

The Thief of Always was always one of my favorite books!

I started reading SK in 6th or 7th grade but I had basically run out of books at the library in both the children's and young adult sections so my parent's jsut let me read whatever.

Orson Scott Card has some good books but you might have to preread some of them as I can't recall whether they'd be appropriate or not. Robin Cook was another I started on in junior high. John Saul as well.

Another author of medical thrillers (not sure of appropriateness for a 12 yr old) is Michael Palmer.

I'm pretty sure Stephen King wrote Shawshank Redemption. I didn't read it, but I saw the movie and don't remember anything objectionable in it. But you can't always tell with movie adaptations: it's possible the book is harsher than the movie. On the other hand, I think it's either a novella or a short story, in which case it would be easier to skim than a novel.

He did. There is a prison r*pe scene in the movie--which no doubt was described in infinitesimal detail in the book.

The Eyes of the Dragon - Stephen King wrote it for his daughter, Tabitha so she could read one of his books. I read a majority of his books between high school and college as I am an avid reader. I tried to stay away from the horrors - IT still gives me the creeps, and I don't like clowns to this day. I did like The Stand, classic good vs evil and good overcomes evil but it's a very long book and creepy. Most of his books are creepy and I would not let my child (younger than 16) read any of them.

Edited by burleygirl
correction

I just looked them up. I guess they were the Mayfair Witch series? Looking through the plot summaries on Wikipedia, I am again awestruck that my mother let me borrow them from her.

I agree on Stephen King - Eyes of the Dragon is really the only one for kids, although Firestarter would also be okay IMO.

I agree about Clive Barker and Thief of Always but be careful you don't stray into his works for adults - he is one seriously creepy dude. I loved the book Cabal (and have a copy that I had autographed at a horror convention) but a lot of his books are more disturbing than SK, thought provoking and disturbing.

I also like Robin Cook and Dean Koontz. Both don't usually have any "adult" activity in them.

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

The Eyes of the Dragon

These are the two I told my 14yo and 12yo that they could start with. (Although as someone else mentioned, The Eyes of the Dragon is more fantasy and not typical thriller King.)

My first King book was Pet Semetary when I was 12. (I stole it out of my parents' room.) I loved it! Read it about 6 times in the next year. It's actually the reason I became interested in forensic science and religion. (Weird but true.) It's gory and gross, but if your son can handle it, it doesn't have the sexual content of many of his other books. My girls' personalities just can't handle that level of gore yet. :001_smile:

I read them at 12, but my mom was never one to restrict what we read. I think I was that age when I read 'Salem's Lot. It scared me so much that I had to sleep with my light on for a week! It's difficult for me to weigh in on what would be appropriate for a 12 year-old boy. What one parent considers appropriate, another parent wouldn't. I would let my kids read Stephen King novels at 12, but not everyone would. As far as fairly tame Stephen King novels go, The Eyes of the Dragon, Cell, or The Girl Who Loved Tom Gorden are decent. I don't think Cujo has anything horribly objectionable in it, nor does Christine as far as I remember. His short story, "The Body," which is found in his book Different Seasons is also good. The movie Stand By Me is based on it.

Gosh, it's been a long time since I read these, so I can't be sure there's nothing too objectionable in them, but... I would say The Talisman (fabulous!),

If you decide to let him try The Talisman, be sure to point out to him the connections to Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer (particularly Huck). I remember being VERY excited to notice those my first time through the novel.

Again, though, this one isn't really "scary." It's kind of a darkish fantasy, as I recall.

I used to be a huge King fan, and I remember really liking Christine, the book about the evil car. It's been years since I read it, so I can't comment on the appropriateness for a young reader. But I remember it as being milder than some of his other stuff.

I would not get a 12 year old started on SK books. They often have freaky, creepy sex stuff that comes out of nowhere.

I think people who have suggested some books or stories don't recall details of what they read. It has probably been 15 years since I read Shawshank and I remember how horrible that scene was. The main character guard in The Green Mile has an infection (UTI maybe?) and it goes on and on about his man bits.

I am positive I am more liberal in my choices than many here and I wouldn't encourage my kids to read them until they were older. I wouldn't allow it for a 12 year old.

There are plenty of great authors who write stuff for kids and young adults. I agree that Neil Gaiman would be a good choice. M is for Magic and The Graveyard Book would be my first suggestions.

I agree on Stephen King - Eyes of the Dragon is really the only one for kids, although Firestarter would also be okay IMO.

Huh. Yes, Firestarter might be okay. Again, it's been years since I read any King, but that one might work.

A couple of people have mentioned Neil Gaiman. I'll third that suggestion, although most of the stuff of his I've read hasn't been especially creepy. Maybe The Graveyard Book would be a place to start? Or Coraline?

I second whoever said to go to wikipedia for descriptions of the books. It might not tell you how detailed any sex/violent scenes are, but it gives you a really good, detailed, spoilers-included descriptions of the books.

I am a "constant reader". I love SK and own all of his books but I definitely would not recommend them to a 12 year old. Some of the most disturbing things I have ever read and that have stayed with me the longest were written by SK. I am way more liberal than many on this board and I think the youngest any of my kids read SK was about 16. I would probably let a mature 15 year old read them. There are a very few that can be read that young and for younger person starting out I would recommend them in this order:

Eye of the Dragon (for children)

The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon (boring)

Firestarter

Cycle of the Werewolf

SalemĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Lot

Carrie (some sexual suggestion - my kids hated the style; it turned them off to SK)

The Dead Zone (I don't remember any major problems here)

Christine (don't remember any problems here either)

Pet Cemetery (probably more disturbing to parents)

Of course, I would either pre-read or wiki and check out reviews on Amazon.

Actually that's a novella by King, found in the book Different Seasons. Another is the story Apt Pupil (about a kid fascinated with a Nazi war criminal neighbor -- NOT a happy ending!), also "The Body," which was turned into the excellent film Stand By Me (80s, Rob Reiner). Last one was Breathing Lessons, which I didn't read.

Still, I'd hold off on the King stuff. If he got really interested in him as a writer, the rest of it is still totally inappropriate.

How about Sherlock Holmes?

Not to mention that the crime that lands Mr. Coffee in jail is absolutely horrifying.

Yep.

And the execution is really disturbing.

Someone mentioned Orson Scott Card. I'd recommend very few of his books to a 12 year old - Ender's Game is about it. There are a few others are probably ok, but most of them contain sexual content. Sometimes it's between loving, consenting adults and is probably a good model. Sometimes.... not so much. Definitely pre-read.

I am a "constant reader". I love SK and own all of his books but I definitely would not recommend them to a 12 year old. Some of the most disturbing things I have ever read and that have stayed with me the longest were written by SK. I am way more liberal than many on this board and I think the youngest any of my kids read SK was about 16. I would probably let a mature 15 year old read them. There are a very few that can be read that young and for younger person starting out I would recommend them in this order:

Eye of the Dragon (for children)

The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon (boring)

Firestarter

Cycle of the Werewolf

SalemĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Lot

Carrie (some sexual suggestion - my kids hated the style; it turned them off to SK)

The Dead Zone (I don't remember any major problems here)

Christine (don't remember any problems here either)

Pet Cemetery (probably more disturbing to parents)

Of course, I would either pre-read or wiki and check out reviews on Amazon.

The Dead Zone has the pervy child killer.

I haven't read all the replies, but I'd probably stay away from it just because if he's anything like my son then he'll want to read more by the same author if he likes the first one. Seems kind of like a slippery slope and then always having to decide if one is appropriate, and him looking into what else he has written, etc. I think I'd just say "let's wait a few years and choose another author right now". Would it help to tell him how scared many adults are by these books, or would that tempt him?!