Menu

If you are opposed to abortion, what do you do for the unborn?

I see that quite a few people are concerned and praying for a stranger who is pregnant. Will it end if she decides to keep the baby?

Do any of you here in that other thread do anything to help these young mothers and their babies once they are actually born?

My aunt is the ONLY person I have ever met who is staunchly opposed to abortion AND does something for the mothers and their babies AFTER they are born.

I ask this question because I have had conversations with people who are opposed to abortions AND financial aid to unwed mothers.

Don't these people NEED foodstamps to keep their kids fed?

Far too often the unborn children are a priority but once they are born they are forgotten.

So I wonder if anyone here is like my aunt and puts their money, energy, or time where their mouth is.

Not being snarky - just curious to know.

I love my aunt dearly even though I am prochoice.

And I repect her because she works for her cause and doesn't just give voice to it.

She really helps the women who want to keep their babies but see no other choice.

Edited by Karen sn

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I completely agree that some people I know don't want it either way, abortion or help for the moms through food stamps, but there are many options when it comes to help.

The unwed mothers that I know are mainly teens so that skews my thoughts on the issue, because they are generally still living at home. All but one that know has been able to live at home, get a job, finish school while parents or friends baby sat, and ultimately they have gone on to have a stable life. One mother was even able to attend college with help from family. They did not have fancy clothes, lots of toys or drive thru restaurant food, but they did have what they needed. I am all for this, and it teaches the young mom how to care for her child and persevere through tough times, but she also understands that she chose a hard life when she chose to have s*x.

I am also all for adoption, because some of my best friends have adopted when they could not have their own babies. We know one mom that put her baby up for adoption, and she is glad that her baby is with a loving home and hope to meet her someday when the child is grown.

Certainly we help.

1. My oldest son, my 2 dd and I sew quilts for the local crisis pregnancy centers and donate them to their closets where they provide for those who have chosen life for their unborn babies.

2. I pick curbside and shop garage sales for inexpensive baby items, clean them up and donate them.

3. I have a lot of friends who give me their expired kids items, I clean them up and donate them to the cpc and to other local organizations that provide for underprivileged families.

4. Until this school year, b/c of lack of time, I volunteered at an organization for underprivileged children by cooking meals, teaching (bible, sewing, sex ed), cleaning, chaperoning. Now that I don't have the time, my oldest son now volunteers there and runs equipment, serves food, helps manage the younger kids.

Once per year, although we have zero extra money, my dh and I attend the local fundraiser that brings in the majority of the cpc's budget.

When I get rid of a few kids, I plan to volunteer at the cpc full time.

I minister to young moms every time I come across one by encouraging them there are other options. I put them in contact with members of the cpc staff and follow up. At times, dh or I will drive them to appointments and in our position as property managers, we work with local agencies to house people in difficult positions (which go well beyond pregnancy).

We offered to adopt a child last year and the mother decided to keep the baby instead.

We are only one of hundreds of people we know in the Tampa Bay area. Many, many people put their money, their time, and their hearts where their mouths are. Perhaps your circle just hasn't come across them yet?

Just want to add, for those who believe in the power of prayer, it is no small contribution either.

I am on the board of directors of a non-profit that is in my signature line. In addition to supporting adoptive and foster families, because of God's abundant provision, we have opened our services up to include support to single mothers and their babies. We provide all the tangible essentials a new baby needs free of charge to moms who are referred through an agency. We also provide maternity clothing, books on childcare, formula, etc. as it becomes available.

In addition, I volunteer once a month at a home for pregnant girls who have chosen to give their babies life and either raise them or place them for adoption. I make dinner and spend the evening with them providing love, support, encouragement and prayer. This home allows a mother to reside in their homes for up to 18 months after their baby is born as well as for the duration of their pregnancy. They provide training in life skills, financial management and job training during that period. They also help them find housing after their 18 month period is over if they are of age or find an appropriate family to provide foster care for both mother and child. I also provide financial support to both the non-profit I serve and the aforementioned girls' home.

Last but not least, I am the adoptive mom of two through foster care. Both of my children were abandoned at birth. One of my children sat in a shelter for her first 4 weeks of life after two failed placements because she was "too dark". Deplorable to say the least but I am thankful for their ignorance because now she is mine.

So, that's what I do. I do it because I love it and am called to it. Serving God's little ones and doing everything I can to make sure they are given a chance in life is my passion. We still continue to foster and I do hope that we can adopt again in the future.

Blessings,

Lisa

Do any of you here in that other thread do anything to help these young mothers and their babies once they are actually born?

My aunt is the ONLY person I have ever met who is staunchly opposed to abortion AND does something for the mothers and their babies AFTER they are born.

How could you possibly know that?

Most pro-life people that I know are involved one way or another in helping. Many would take a baby to adopt in a New York minute, or donate much time and/or money to CPCs. Now that I have made the appropriate disclaimer, I would like to ask a different question.

If I am against stealing, do I have to personally make restitution to every convenience store that is robbed by a disadvantaged teenager in order to not be considered a hypocrite? If an action is immoral, I may be against it whether I do anything about it or not. I think this is a red herring question designed to get those folks who believe abortion is immoral to be on the defensive. One does not have to be willing to personally raise every victim of child abuse to be against child abuse.

Most pro-life people that I know are involved one way or another in helping. Many would take a baby to adopt in a New York minute' date=' or donate much time and/or money to CPCs. Now that I have made the appropriate disclaimer, I would like to ask a different question.

If I am against stealing, do I have to personally make restitution to every convenience store that is robbed by a disadvantaged teenager in order to not be considered a hypocrite? If an action is immoral, I may be against it whether I do anything about it or not. I think this is a red herring question designed to get those folks who believe abortion is immoral to be on the defensive. One does not have to be willing to personally raise every victim of child abuse to be against child abuse.[/quote']

:iagree:

I would like to ask a different question.

If I am against stealing' date=' do I have to personally make restitution to every convenience store that is robbed by a disadvantaged teenager in order to not be considered a hypocrite? If an action is immoral, I may be against it whether I do anything about it or not. I think this is a red herring question designed to get those folks who believe abortion is immoral to be on the defensive. One does not have to be willing to personally raise every victim of child abuse to be against child abuse.[/quote']

Thank you. I was trying to come up with a way to express this....you summed it up well.

I was thinking, "No way. Don't all Christian give locally to relief organizations that directly or indirectly help struggling families."

Do you actually know what people give? Some people are very private in their giving and wouldn't want to tell you.

I was thinking, "No way. Don't all Christian give locally to relief organizations that directly or indirectly help struggling families."

Do you actually know what people give? Some people are very private in their giving and wouldn't want to tell you.

Exactly. That includes the giving of finances and other resources as well as acts of service.

Without going into specifics about my charitable giving, I will say that BOTH my husband and I have offered our legal services pro bono to facilitate adoptions of children who have been spared being aborted.

I further have to agree with the comments asking, "How do you know your aunt is the only one?" Perhaps you're learning by creating this post that your aunt is NOT the only one both staunchly opposed to abortion and willing to help out the mother who made the decision to keep her baby!

My personal thought is that *I* couldn't fathom ever having an abortion. I do think that the baby is alive and that abortion kills it, so therefore it is murder. However, I am also a Christian and I know that God did not set me here to judge others. I also know that God forgives - look at the theif on the cross beside Jesus, for example. So, while I would not perform or have an abortion, I do not judge others who have made this choice. My best friend made this choice. I don't think less of her - I don't dislike her or feel differently toward her because of it. I hurt for her becuase the choice haunts her.

I am, in no way, opposed to places helping unwed mothers who choose not to abort. There is a Crisis Pregnancy Center in my area that is supported by local churches and the sole purpose of this place is to help these mothers. They give them diapers, counsel them, help them put the babies up for adoption if they choose to go that route. They have case managers on hand to take the girls to and from appts with the doctor and to take them to appts with the welfare/WIC/food stamp offices.

I support their efforts 100%.

Edited by Tree House Academy

and sorted it for giving to new moms, went to yard sales and bought baby items to be donated, given away all my baby items when done, had a girl in a crisis situation live with us when pregnant, donated money and time to local charities, babysat for moms when they had Dr. appts or WIC appts, and last but not least, prayed for women that would have chosen to have an abortion and even some who did have one.

My best friend had 2 abortions (one when 15, the first time she ever had s*x, a boy got her drunk at a party), and another after her first child was born and she had gotten divorced. I didn't judge her, I loved her and tried to help her overcome the guilt she experienced as a result of those abortions. I lost contact with her about 3 years ago, and just recently I found out that she was killed in a car accident while drinking and speeding on the way to visit her oldest children out of town (her ex had custody). She couldn't get rid of those demons that haunted her from her childhood and the abortions. She tried to get over her addiction to alcohol but couldn't.

I don't see the question as a red herring at all. Many of us (myself anyway) that vote pro-choice might be willing to take a closer look at voting pro-life if we knew there were programs in place that offered help to both the mother and the child with the end goal in mind of helping the mother become a self sufficiant member of this society, regardless if they were offered by the government, private organizations, or charity.

I think if we as a society pass laws telling us what to do, it is very irresponsible to do so without considering and trying to negate the negative consequences of said laws. And trust me, being someone who grew up receiving social security checks and free school lunches and basically living off government support, it's much less costly to help someone be self sufficient than having them be a permanent financial drain on society.

For the stealing analogy, yes we do pay for it. We pay for it with high prices in the store which helps cover the costs of the stolen merchandise. We also pay with our taxes to put the criminals in jails, the upkeep of the jails, for their lawyers, etc.

How could you possibly know that?

FWIW, I know many, many people (including our family) who help these families involved in this situation. There are numerous pro-life agencies in many states and locales, including our own. We have a crisis pregnancy center in our community, and they help women and families not just during the pregnancy, but afterwards as well. Many of these women and their children have maintained long-term relationships with the people that work full-time at the CPC.

Edited by Michelle in MO

Currently, nothing, other than voting for pro-life candidates when the opportunity arises.

In the past, I worked at a CPC and we had a sheltering program. Any woman who found herself homeless or in a violent situation while pregnant was placed with a volunteer family. The stay could be as long as needed. Some families sheltered young women during their pregnancies and through them finishing college or training, even after the baby came. The terms really varied on the needs of the woman.

One young woman was molested by her uncle. Her father threw her out when he found she was pregnant. She was a minor and our agency had an attorney on the board who helped her become emancipated. A family took her in, and the agency helped her find an adoptive family for the baby. She was an inspiring young woman. She went through counseling for dealing with the molestation and all the after effects and, as far as I know, became a stable, well-balanced adult.

When I'm no longer homeschooling, I'd like to volunteer at a CPC again.

I don't see the question as a red herring at all. Many of us (myself anyway) that vote pro-choice might be willing to take a closer look at voting pro-life if we knew there were programs in place that offered help to both the mother and the child with the end goal in mind of helping the mother become a self sufficiant member of this society, regardless if they were offered by the government, private organizations, or charity.

I think if we as a society pass laws telling us what to do, it is very irresponsible to do so without considering and trying to negate the negative consequences of said laws. And trust me, being someone who grew up receiving social security checks and free school lunches and basically living off government support, it's much less costly to help someone be self sufficient than having them be a permanent financial drain on society.

For the stealing analogy, yes we do pay for it. We pay for it with high prices in the store which helps cover the costs of the stolen merchandise. We also pay with our taxes to put the criminals in jails, the upkeep of the jails, for their lawyers, etc.

Sure it is much less costly to just kill those who are inconvenient or allow people to steal other's property without consequence in the short run. But in the long run?

It would be less costly to just kill everyone who wasn't entirely self-supporting, but that really isn't a solution. :001_huh: The bottom line is that I don't have to justify being against murder by outlining exactly what I do to save every victim to those who would rather let the murder happen. I can be against it just because it is wrong.

http://www.hiscaringplace.org/

One young woman was molested by her uncle. Her father threw her out when he found she was pregnant. She was a minor and our agency had an attorney on the board who helped her become emancipated. A family took her in, and the agency helped her find an adoptive family for the baby. She was an inspiring young woman. She went through counseling for dealing with the molestation and all the after effects and, as far as I know, became a stable, well-balanced adult.

When I'm no longer homeschooling, I'd like to volunteer at a CPC again.

Oh, that story about makes me cry, for both what the girl had to endure, and the help she received.

Yes, I do some work with unwed mothers, not as much as I like because of hsing young boys and my DH's very busy schedule, but I have done quite a bit in the past and some now.

Dawn

PS: And I have an adopted son!

Most pro-life people that I know are involved one way or another in helping. Many would take a baby to adopt in a New York minute' date=' or donate much time and/or money to CPCs. Now that I have made the appropriate disclaimer, I would like to ask a different question.

If I am against stealing, do I have to personally make restitution to every convenience store that is robbed by a disadvantaged teenager in order to not be considered a hypocrite? If an action is immoral, I may be against it whether I do anything about it or not. I think this is a red herring question designed to get those folks who believe abortion is immoral to be on the defensive. One does not have to be willing to personally raise every victim of child abuse to be against child abuse.[/quote']

:hurray:

I don't feel the question is a red herring. While there are a great number of people who give money and service, esp on this board, there are some who toot both horns and do not. The OP is asking about those people who are opposed to both and if so what solutions do you have for the children if they keep them. Just being the Libra that I am..:coolgleamA:

I ask this question because I have had conversations with people who are opposed to abortions AND financial aid to unwed mothers.

I guess I don't understand why putting a baby up for adoption many times isn't an option for people considering abortion... Adoption is so much more a better option than killing an unwanted baby. Abortion is the most selfish act I can think of... and I just can't understand the pro-choice mentality. The baby didn't do anything wrong - especially nothing that would deserve death.

I, personally, would adopt in a heartbeat, no matter what the sacrifice, so that a baby could live.

I guess I don't understand why putting a baby up for adoption many times isn't an option for people considering abortion... Adoption is so much more a better option than killing an unwanted baby. Abortion is the most selfish act I can think of... and I just can't understand the pro-choice mentality. The baby didn't do anything wrong - especially nothing that would deserve death.

I, personally, would adopt in a heartbeat, no matter what the sacrifice, so that a baby could live.

I've been thinking about these abortion threads while stripping wallpaper in my bathroom.

I think one of the barriers to adoption is that not everyone who is pregnant with an unwanted pregnancy is an unmarried teenager or young adult. I think society in general frowns on a married mother, for example, giving up a baby for adoption, even though she may legitimately be at the end of her rope, so to speak, with handling her current kids. I think in cases like that, women often feel trapped and desperate, and an abortion is a way to deal with the issue in a far less public way than carrying the child to term and then placing it for adoption. It's not like a grown woman with young children and/or a job can go live with an aunt for 9 months. Adoption in those circumstances is hard to explain, to family, to friends, to existing children, to the adoptive child in 25 years when they track you down.

I'm not saying it's right. But I can see why the very public-ness of adoption in that situation would make the privacy of abortion attractive for women who feel they just can't handle another child.

There are programs in place to help young mothers and children. Crisis Pregnancy Centers help with counseling, clothes, cribs, diapers, formula (if necessary), etc. They also will help the young woman approach her boyfriend and parents. If kicked out of her home, they will help her find another place or another family to stay at/with. They will assist her with learning to budget and entering other programs that will help her gain self sufficiency. They also will help connect her with adoption services if she so chooses.

There are also group homes that assist a young mother with a place to live, an education, help her acquire proper medical care, offer child care once the baby is born, etc.

Most of these places get bashed by a good portion of the "pro-choice" movement, because they are supported by people of faith (most particularly Christian). However, that has been the history of the church. Most hospitals were initially started and supported by churches as well as group homes for teens, orphanages, elderly care, etc.

I've been thinking about these abortion threads while stripping wallpaper in my bathroom.

I think one of the barriers to adoption is that not everyone who is pregnant with an unwanted pregnancy is an unmarried teenager or young adult. I think society in general frowns on a married mother, for example, giving up a baby for adoption, even though she may legitimately be at the end of her rope, so to speak, with handling her current kids. I think in cases like that, women often feel trapped and desperate, and an abortion is a way to deal with the issue in a far less public way than carrying the child to term and then placing it for adoption. It's not like a grown woman with young children and/or a job can go live with an aunt for 9 months. Adoption in those circumstances is hard to explain, to family, to friends, to existing children, to the adoptive child in 25 years when they track you down.

I'm not saying it's right. But I can see why the very public-ness of adoption in that situation would make the privacy of abortion attractive for women who feel they just can't handle another child.

Thanks for the explanation... I never considered that. Though I disagree, I can certainly see how that would pose a difficult situation.

Of course! Most people I know do. A lot of them:

Volunteer and donate (money, items, and time) to the local crisis pregnancy center, which also provides equipment/clothing/etc. for babies, toddlers, and preschoolers, as well as free parenting classes.

Donate to another ministry here that helps the poor with their children's needs, and to our church clothing ministry (to the general public) for all ages. Plus, of course, the church has been very welcoming to single moms and their babies.

Give regularly to the local food pantry

Pay their taxes, some of which goes into supporting these children.

And do pretty much whatever else they can to help, from buying Christmas presents to helping with rent payments.

That said, I'm also against some of the welfare policies that our state used to have. I remember when I started my first job after college, I discovered that if I'd simply had a baby or two out-of-wedlock I would have been provided with a free apartment, free healthcare, food stamps, and more money in welfare than I was earning with a full time job requiring a college degree. I was glad when the state trimmed those policies from the budget -- helping in a crisis situation is one thing, but encouraging girls/women to go out and get pregnant so that they won't have to work is another. I once heard a single welfare mom opine that giving birth to children was her *job*, how she contributed to society, and so she deserved all that money.

Edited by HeatherInWI

We give money regularly to a crisis pregnancy center that provides medical care and a group home for unwed mothers to live in during their pregnancy and the first year after their child's birth. They are taught about eating healthy food during pregnancy, how to care for their dc, how to cook, how to care for a home, how to interview for jobs, how to balance a checkbook, how to make healthy relationship choices, and whatever else they need to be able to provide a stable home for their dc after birth.

I don't feel the question is a red herring. While there are a great number of people who give money and service, esp on this board, there are some who toot both horns and do not. The OP is asking about those people who are opposed to both and if so what solutions do you have for the children if they keep them. Just being the Libra that I am..:coolgleamA:

Actually, the OP implied that are very few, if any, pro-lifers who actually take action for their cause and that her aunt is an exception to the rule.

Hey, Ibbygirl....do you volunteer at His Caring Place? This is the organization that the non-profit I serve on supported until we moved. I am quite familiar with it. It is also supported by my church and is a wheel of the foster care agency I am licensed with (4Kids of South Florida). Just curious. We must live close. Small world!!

Many of us (myself anyway) that vote pro-choice might be willing to take a closer look at voting pro-life if we knew there were programs in place that offered help to both the mother and the child with the end goal in mind of helping the mother become a self sufficiant member of this society, regardless if they were offered by the government, private organizations, or charity.

Not being snarky, but honestly, have you looked? Everywhere I have lived there have been many agencies (usually religious in nature) that offer exactly these services. This is partly why in single mother or young women/girl situations, I just can't justify abortion. There are Endless opportunities (crisis centers, adoption agencies) that not only take care of baby but hospital costs, housing, education, aftercare, etc. There really is a LONG list of places that will help in order to save lives. If knowing these programs exist would encourage you to be pro-life, then welcome to the club. The programs are everywhere -- and they work! Death is not the answer, there is hope in life for a woman and her unborn child and plenty of people who will help bring that hope forward.

Don't these people NEED foodstamps to keep their kids fed?

She really helps the women who want to keep their babies but see no other choice.

If they can't feed their babies, they can't feed their babies, and what they NEED to do now is the right thing and place those babies with parents who do have the means to care for them. There are countless folks out there who can and want to take care of babies.

I, personally, have trouble believing that anyone with a soul could give their baby away without emotional distress. But it's wrong to keep a baby you cannot feed, or to kill that baby, in order to avoid the emotional distress of not raising it yourself. Both options are illogical, not to mention completely selfish.

Assuming a woman wasn't raped, she made an irresponsible decision to get pregnant (having unprotected sex is, effectively, making that decision). It's not my responsibility to support her with my tax dollars because she WANTS to keep the baby she made when she couldn't/didn't control herself one night. It's her responsibility to see that her child is taken care of by people who have the means.

I don't see the question as a red herring at all. Many of us (myself anyway) that vote pro-choice might be willing to take a closer look at voting pro-life if we knew there were programs in place that offered help to both the mother and the child with the end goal in mind of helping the mother become a self sufficiant member of this society, regardless if they were offered by the government, private organizations, or charity..

Almost all prolife/pregnancy counseling agencies that I have ever been in contact with offer MORE than "just don't abort". Many stock clothing & supplies for infants... network mothers with OB/Gyns and pediatricians.... seek to continue contact with the mother throughtout & after her pregnancy (by being available & introducing them to people who can help)... and even try to help with any spiritual counseling/prayer that might be wanted.

As for paying rent or buying groceries... that gets bigger than the actual agency focused on new Moms & unborn decision issues.... but it also depends on the new mom & how much she wants/asks/or expects. Often these young ladies vanish (even before the child is born) & do not want to maintain any relationship. Some of these programs may involve a church offering help (not worship, just help) but people shun the church. I have even seen resentment.

Also, adoption seems to be a dirty word. A 17 year old with little familiy support & no income, etc should consider this as a beautiful, life & love giving option... not as an evil or bad thing. I really am saddened by our society for discouraging adoption & encouraging fatherless homes, little to no income homes, and living with desperation... or encouraging abortions.

Our church keeps a food pantry with formula, cereals & often diapers in stock. My former community had "baby showers" for the clinics to help people who have not even come through the doors.

Just ask around & you will see. BUT, remember... it is a 2 way street. Gov't options are often more comfortable b/c they deal with anonymous "givers" (even if coerced or forced givers).... expect less accountability or interaction.... and require no worrying with schedules, relationships, and people.

I am rather shocked that OP doesn't seem to think pro-life people help or are willing to help. That is the premise of her questions & it was very sad to read it.

My church only has about 100 adults attending each Sunday. We have atleast 12 adopted children in our regular group! We have had as many as 24! Yeah, I say we practice what we pray for & preach!

Edited by Dirtroad

Karen,

I wasn't on the other thread, but wanted to chime in a bit.

Our family regular donates money, diapers, pullups, clothing in sizes beyond newborn, time/service to a local pregnancy center that also runs a house for the moms. It goes well beyond day of birth.

My oldest has been known to crochet items as gifts for the moms and babies.

Our friends baby sit the client's children when needed.

The agency is private run. Offers a range of services including health care, doula services, short term housing, life skills teaching (cooking, cleaning, how to pay bills, child care, work skills, etc.), parenting classes, counseling, and even help them to sign up for gov't resources as well such as WIC and other programs.

There are lots of groups in the US like this one and operated by lots of volunteers. Some volunteers even help with fund raisers to keep the agency open.

Your aunt is not alone. :)

-crystal

I work at the pregnancy care center in any manner necessary. My DH has made thousands of dollars worth of repairs for free. My Ds has organized his Boy Scout troop to come and work regularly. I walk in their fund raisers. I raise money for them when ever the opportunity arises. I have taught over 50 classes for young moms on basic care and budgeting as well as establishing them with mentors to help them through out the processes. More times than I can count in the past I have gone to someone's home and taken care of the baby for them so that mom can get rest.

I do put my time and my money where my mouth is.

Can I just say how impressed I am with those of you selflessly giving your time, money and resources? I do try, but I haven't been able to be involved to the extent that many of you are.

My church is VERY pro-life and supports many pro-life ministries. Our family also collects our change all year to donate to the local CPC, and I have donated our baby items and maternity things.

Anti-abortion here.

We:

1. Have taken in homeless mothers with their children before

2. Donate supplies to crisis pregnancy centers

3. Provide reduced cost childcare to single moms

4. Would be happy to do respite care for moms who need a break

That said... since I believe abortion is killing children, the question in the OP is entertaining, because it reads, "If you're opposed to killing children, what do you do for people who don't?" Not killing people should be the default option.

If you believe that abortion is a neutral choice and if you vote pro-choice, what do you do to help the women who are emotionally and psychologically damaged by abortion? Just wondering if you are aware of the trauma and stress that this causes many women and that in most cases, the women are not informed of this at the abortion clinic. Abortion is presented as an eraser; a simple plan - which it is most certainly NOT. Will the abortion doctor or clinic be there for the woman who is in grief and paralyzed with guilt over the loss of her child? If you are pro-choice, would you step up and help?

I volunteered for a while at a crisis pregnancy center. Two things stand out from that time. One is that the majority of the women who came in expressed that they could expect no help from their families. In fact I'd say that many indicated they weren't even in contact with their parents. This crossed age and racial lines. By far the biggest common factor that all these scared women had was that they didn't have a good relationship with their family. (I have no idea what sort of parents they had broken with. I'm sure there was a share of bad parenting there, as well as women who had decided that they just knew better than their parents.)

The second thing that stands out is that they didn't feel like they had a choice to do much other than have an abortion or struggle alone in poverty. I came away wondering what the phrase pro-choice really meant. It didn't seem to mean consider all the options available, including carrying the baby to term and then participating in an adoption. It didn't seem to mean providing group home settings for pregnant ladies who had little alternative. It didn't seem to mean providing reduced rate health care or layettes or diapers.

The cpc that I volunteered at did way more than just give a test and then suggest that abortion was a bad idea. They provided maternity clothes for the duration of the pregnancy. They gave a layette with baby clothes and diapers to the new mom. They often provided formula and other baby equipment. They helped women find housing. The cpc was located in a Catholic hospital that gave them space for free. The cpc did the pregnancy tests and then the hospital would provide reduced rate pre-natal care and delivery. The cpc also offered to connect women to adoption agencies or prospective adoptive parents.

So I guess I would turn the question around. What does it mean to be pro-choice if the only choice offered is abortion or single parenting?

It has been a while since I've contributed to a cpc since we've been overseas a lot over the past few years and I got out of the habit. The question was a good reminder that money and donations are needed too.

I think society in general frowns on a married mother, for example, giving up a baby for adoption, even though she may legitimately be at the end of her rope, so to speak, with handling her current kids.

Let's start with the obvious then, a married mother who is at the end of the rope with her current kids should be using some sort of birth control. Here, we use condoms because that's what we're comfortable with and aren't ready for another baby.

Should that birth control fail and a mother becomes pregnant, there are government programs that offer financial aid (medical assistance, WIC, food stamps, cash assistance, housing assistance, home energy assistance, childcare vouchers). There are churches with food pantries if you make too much for food stamps but still need help. There are people (like me) who are happy to watch your kids so you can get a break. There are Christian counseling places who offer counseling on a sliding scale if you are having trouble emotionally and need professional help.

If I am against stealing' date=' do I have to personally make restitution to every convenience store that is robbed by a disadvantaged teenager in order to not be considered a hypocrite? If an action is immoral, I may be against it whether I do anything about it or not. [/quote']

:iagree: If a person counsels a pregnant woman to have her baby, and in doing so saves that baby from being killed, I think that is a wonderful thing!! To imply that something further must be done for the act to be truly kind, helpful, etc.-- I disagree. That sounds to me like criticizing the man who rushes into the burning building to save a child because after the fire he didn't go back and provide food, clothing, etc. While that would be a kind thing to do, the fact that he didn't do a *second* good work doesn't take away from the first. And taking part in saving a child's life (whether born or unborn), I consider that the highest of good works!

I completely disagree that prolifers don't have an obligation to help those babies who will be born because the mother chose to give birth. Women have abortions because they don't know what to do with their baby. If you get them to birth their baby, you need to have a solution as to what to do with the baby. Sure, you could convince them not to abort and then just leave them to deal with the problem on their own. I guess, practically speaking, women are going to be much more likely to choose life if they have a plan and know they will be supported. So we need to support these women, if for no other reason than to be more effective in saving babies in the first place.

Other than that, the REAL question is, why the heck do you care so much about the baby before it's born, but not afterward, and not for the mother of said child? This is true selfishness, to use your words but not do anything that actually costs you anything.

On a personal note, my "contribution" is that I long to adopt some day. Unfortunately, I don't have $20,000 lying around for a child, and I am not able to care for the types of issues older children in the foster care system often have (and I'd be interested in a child up to about four, it's just that healthy children even this young aren't common). Talk about injustice. Only the middle class can adopt! Ugh.

Isn't there a certain hypocrisy in longing for a child through adoption, but only if he/she is "healthy" or "young"? Sorry, but you seem to come down hard on those of us who have a moral opposition to abortion, as if we need to back up that belief with actions you deem charitable. Yet, you want so desperately to adopt, but only a child who meets your exact criteria? There are many young children with special needs who desperately need homes.

Lisa

Hey, Ibbygirl....do you volunteer at His Caring Place? This is the organization that the non-profit I serve on supported until we moved. I am quite familiar with it. It is also supported by my church and is a wheel of the foster care agency I am licensed with (4Kids of South Florida). Just curious. We must live close. Small world!!

Your church must be Calvary Chapel right?? :) I don't serve in His Caring Place directly unfortunately. I have 2 special needs kids at home I have to care for, but I do donate money to the ministry. I think it is a wonderful ministry and they are literally changing lives 2 at a time. :)

I do serve in Calvary's 678 ministry on Wednesday nights teaching a small group of public school girls. It's not a huge service, but it is what I can do. :)

If you believe that abortion is a neutral choice and if you vote pro-choice, what do you do to help the women who are emotionally and psychologically damaged by abortion? Just wondering if you are aware of the trauma and stress that this causes many women and that in most cases, the women are not informed of this at the abortion clinic. Abortion is presented as an eraser; a simple plan - which it is most certainly NOT. Will the abortion doctor or clinic be there for the woman who is in grief and paralyzed with guilt over the loss of her child? If you are pro-choice, would you step up and help?

I disagree that there is necessarily so much trauma in having an abortion. I have been surprised at the projections onto people who have had abortions that they all suffer from terrible trauma the rest of their lives. It simply is not true and so no argument can be built on it. I am sure it is true of some, and I am sure some could do with help in getting over the guilt. But for many, they truly feel it was the best thing in the circumstances and accept that, sad as the decision makes them for a while, it was the right thing to do. Or, they regret it but forvive themselves and move on- a healthy response! A lot depends on the mindset of the mother and also the support she receives.

Not everyone has the same beliefs around the life of the foetus or embryo. My beliefs are that the soul of the small being is very real and alive but it will move on to be born elsewhere where it is wanted. Millions of babies are miscarried every year. I am more concerned for the mother, to tell the truth. I think abortion is pretty horrible, but I put the mental and emotional health of the mother ahead of the foetus, wheras pro lifers seem to always only put the baby first and just about discard the mother.

Isn't there a certain hypocrisy in longing for a child through adoption, but only if he/she is "healthy" or "young"? Sorry, but you seem to come down hard on those of us who have a moral opposition to abortion, as if we need to back up that belief with actions you deem charitable. Yet, you want so desperately to adopt, but only a child who meets your exact criteria? There are many young children with special needs who desperately need homes.

Most women don't have abortions because the child has a developmental disability. The topic was, what are we doing or willing to do to support women who choose not to have an abortion? This is what I am willing to do. Not related to the OP, but to address your comment/question, I don't feel not being led to adopt a child with autism, reactive attachment disorder, s*xual acting out due to abuse, etc. etc. means I have exacting criteria. I don't know you, so I have absolutely no idea how much you do or do not know about the foster care system. Forgive me if you already know this, but most children in the system are there because of extreme circumstances with extreme consequences, possibly life-long, for the child and the child's future family. This is not something ANYONE should enter into without quite a bit of research and serious thought.

I don't think anyone has to fit my idea of what is charitable. My point was simply that it is inconsistent to care about unborn children, but not newly born children or the women who bore them. How this expresses itself will likely be different for different people. There are a great many people who do much, much more than I do to help. I am only addressing intent.