Menu

OK...Fess up time...Which programs did you buy for this year that are still sitting..

on you shelf...flipped through by you...but undone!

I'll go first:

God and the History of Art (2 years now, actually...)

TOG Year 3 Classic (bought used, but it is my 3rd time trying this one out.

Beautiful Feet Classical Composers with ALL THE BELLS and WHISTLES and ALL the cd's (although we did use 3 of them in an AO/CM way and we did read the Story of the Orchestra after seeing the Firebird Suite at Christmas.

A Beka Phonics and Math K5 Homeschool manuals & readers. We did use the workbooks though.

IEW Fables, Myths & Fairy Tales & US History Lessons 1

I also re-purchased IEW Style & Structure DVD's and Poetry Program. We love the poems...hate the CD...

SOTW 3 Test book

Latina Christiana 1 (3rd year on shelf...sigh)

Assorted Readers and Bible studies...we used other ones.

I did buy and send back or sell other things that I just wanted to look at or try, but it would be really embarassing to list them.

So, make me feel better....what do you still have...untouched...

SO...Do you sell or do you hang on to those resources and try to figure out what went wrong and try to use them next year.

Thanks for commiserating,

Faithe

This is embarassing...

I have CLE Reading 3 Doors to Discovery, the readers for CLE Reading 2, and tons of other readers, none of which he has read.. he likes "real" books.

HOD Beyond Little Hearts, and Little Hands to Heaven.

I bought 2 My World Science sets.. blue and red...

Winter Promise SSB&B, (plus the sciences that we DID use)

Wisdom and Prudence with the Millers (We WILL use these! :D)

Keepers of the Faith character studies

Beautiful Feet History of Science

this only includes things I bought for this year and not used... I bought tons of stuff for next year (and beyond) that I probably won;t use.. If I'm realistic.

The good news is that threads like this one has convicted me to start selling, which is good.

I would like to be on the road to recovery.. my oldest is only SIX!!!!! :tongue_smilie:

Well, if we don't have to list what we bought to look at and then re-sold...I'll play! ;-)

I Can Do All Things. I think I'm going to try to find the DVD's used and see if that might help us work through this a bit better.

Writing Tales 1.

CLE Math 200

Ray's Arithmetic

Theme's to Remember

Spelling Power

Considering God's Creation

R&S Reading for grades 1-4.

Now, I just sold CLE math. I know we won't use it after going to the HS'ing conference and hearing a few math seminars.

I've also just read for about the 3rd time the Latin Centered Curriculum, so I think framing our day as he has laid out will help me implement the things that always get pushed to the side. I'll be keeping Considering God's Creation, I Can Do All Things art and Themes to remember to fit into the LCC framework. We will start Writing Tales this fall instead of the spring like I had thought. I'll keep spelling power since I got it for a good price and it might work better for one of my other children coming up. R&S Reading...I'm torn. I'll sell the workbooks and TM's, not sure about the readers.

Other things, I hold onto for awhile if it won't go become obsolete or if I know that it might work with one of the younger ones. I get a bit more ruthless if there is something else I have my eye on and need the money from sales to purchase it.

We've only been doing Kindergarten this year. I'm not using My Jesus and I, which is a Catholic catechism program. Doesn't work for us. They were very cheap, I think I spent $4-5 total for the books and teacher's guide.

I bought a Science Kit that's still sitting there. Anything hands-on seems to fill me with dread. For some reason when using the K-2 science program Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding (BFSU) I can do "science explorations" just fine (seems more relaxed, more "homey".) However, when it comes to doing what I think are full-fledged "experiments", I freeze. The worse part is that ds was actually enthusiastic about it. Now I think he's forgotten :tongue_smilie:

I'm determined to use it by the end of our school year! I rationalize that it would be good for review, instead of doing with in conjunction with our Solids, Liquids and Gases lesson ;)

I have committed to NOT doing this ever again. But I have had stuff half used and wasted from yrs past:

History Pockets were a huge flop

Calculadder

singapore math intensive practice book

Sonlight's horrible science

For this past year I committed to not buying anything I wasnt sure I'd use. It worked well.

Next year I want to add Rosetta stone and IEW and as both are very expensive Im a little worried because I know somehow the basics get done but the frills get axed. Neither will be a frill at this point for my ds in 6th grade and I hope I can make it happen.

I've done pretty well this year.

God & Christian Artists just hasn't gotten done.

Alfred's essential music theory book has been sitting around for two years.

A science experiment kit I bought has been locked away. I think (hopefully) we will do it over the summer.

Apologia Chemistry- 1st ds

We ditched it mid-year. Why do I keep torturing myself? I just do not like Apologia Science, but because it seems like everyone else uses it I keep trying.

Life of Fred Geometry- 2nd ds

It just looked so fun that I couldn't resist, but bottom line- We don't like talky-talky math! We didn't like having story-time while we were trying to get math done.

Moving Beyond the Page- 3rd ds

I thought I could just add this in to our other stuff and we did have a good time doing it; however, on top of everything else the little man was doing it was too much. Our day became just a wee bit too long and the little man started complaining about how long school was taking, so after one unit it went away.

So, each boy had one thing that just didn't work, but other than that it has been a really good year! We had 2 WP themes that were both used and enjoyed! The Peanut was almost entirely outsourced and this worked well. The Cashew had his 7th and best year at home. The little man went from reading CVC words to reading short chapter books.

This has been a stellar homeschool year.:D

Mandy

CLE Math 200

Now, I just sold CLE math. I know we won't use it after going to the HS'ing conference and hearing a few math seminars.

QUOTE]

OK...so now what is wrong with CLE Math????????????/

I was banking on it for my boys. My dd is finally having success with this program....UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Faithe

Rod and Staff English. We made it through Rod and Staff English last year but I couldn't put my dc through it again. It's a great curriculum but we needed a more gentle approach to grammar.

We have only completed two lessons in Latina Christiana this year but we will restart in the fall. We just couldn't fit it into our schedule.

This is embarassing...

I would like to be on the road to recovery.. my oldest is only SIX!!!!! :tongue_smilie:

Don't be too hard on yourself! I remember when I was just starting that VegSource's Sale & Swap Boards were so tempting for me! I would scroll through, see a title that looked interesting, do some fairly quick internet research, and then end up buying things that I didn't use or need. I think you'll find that you'll learn more about yourself and your kids as time goes on. :)

However, I still have some things that didn't get utilized as much as I thought they would this year --

~Latin Alive (used 1/4, but we'll continue Latin -- still deciding on details)

~ listening and reading comprehension materials (still used some, trying to help with a low test score in listening comprehension -- maybe I'll be more determined after this year's score, or maybe I'll find that we really don't need them?)

~ Singapore Math supplements (still used SM, but used some American supplements instead to help with standardized testing's terminology, etc.)

~ TOG lapbooks (enjoyed lapbooking, but didn't care for Knowledge Box Central's lapbooklets. We loved our own booklets, but this was time-consuming.)

Edited by profmom

CLE Math 200

I was banking on it for my boys. My dd is finally having success with this program....UGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Faithe

If it is working, then it will be fine for you!! After hearing the seminar and then thinking more about my children, I knew it wasn't what *I* wanted to use for my kids!

Poor Latina Christiana -- popular as an unused elective here! And I am really using mine next year, but after trying for two years, who would believe me!

Then there are the Artpacs, which sound like a great idea, but we open the pack, we make it to week two and we quit. And Child-Sized Masterpieces, which is now sitting on the shelf for the third time, bought for DD1 and still never used.

I also have Masterpac Calculadder and Math Facts Now, still in their cases. Two speech therapy CDs, used twice and discarded. A pack of classical music CDs and a workbook, bought at conference LAST year and still not touched.

I am sure there is more, but this is plenty of humiliation for now. Not enough to keep me from doing it again for this year, but plenty still.

I've actually done pretty good this year compared to years past. I'm learning to not purchase on a whim...which is what these dust collecters were:

Megawords- Used for about 2 weeks and promptly dropped. My son and I found it not worth the effort. :tongue_smilie:

Harmony Fine Arts- We just never have time for this. It's on my pile of 'to be sold' items if anyone's interested. ;)

Giggle in the Middle- This looks fun, but I haven't taken the time to implement it. I'll probably keep it on my shelf a while longer though...just in case.

SL K LA- Didn't like it from day one. Kept trying for about a month and it was finally ditched.

100EZ lessons-PP's worked much better for us.

Private Eye- The loop and books-Want to use it, just not sure how to fit it in my curriculum. I WILL get to this (I hope).

HWT's 1st grade book and manipulatives-Just couldn't keep teaching my dd all caps for half a year after a year of all caps in prek. It has taken ALL year just to get her to stop writing her name in all caps.

Oooh---I'll play too now that I know I am not alone! :tongue_smilie:

Abeka LA 7th AND 9th: It looked so good but just could NOT bring myself to use it.

Abeka spelling 6th: Sold the first go round, changed my mind, bought it AGAIN and still did nOT use it!

Latin for Children A: 2 sets of everything! TOO much work each day and can't STAND the DVD.

Apologia Biology: Got to Module 4 and HAD to drop it. I KNEW we would hate it---and yet I still bought it swayed by the sales pitches!!! :glare:

Memoria Press First Start French: Calvert French 1a is a WAY better fit. Will try this again next year.

IEW Ancient writing

Jensens Format Writing

Mystery of History I and II: Still may use it, but not as a spine.

Computer Science Pure and Simple---Books 1 AND 2 AND the cd!!! I can't believe there are any good reviews for this----my kids hate it with a passion.

TT Algebra 1: Yuck.

ACE Spanish with all VHS: Yuck.

RS Chinese: Version2 and now totally outdated........:glare:

Artistic Pursuits: The second go round---sold the first books, changed my mind, bought it again.........and still it sits........

Progeny Press guides: Well, I have about close to 10! I bought them at the site with the "Buy so many ,get 1 free" deal. WHY? I don't like the guides!!!

I know there is more, but it is downstairs and I am upstairs ;) I have gotten better about trying 'everything' over the years---so this is actually now a very short list!

Our failures:

Rod & Staff math - just too much and I didn't like the way the concepts were taught (drill & kill)

McRuffy K LA sat on my shelf until a month ago when I finally sold it. :tongue_smilie:

ETC books 2 & 3 plus the TM for 1-2.5. I bought the first 3 books and the TM thinking it would be a great. Turns out Ariel doesn't like workbooks so much.

Handwriting Without Tears K including all the wooden pieces and cards (plus an extra workbook I didn't mean to purchase)- did about 2/3 of the workbook and switched to a regular "ball and stick" copywork/wipe off practice book. DD didn't really care about using all the "extras" except the slate.

Okay, is any one selling these things, cuz I see lots of things on these lists that I want to buy....how's that for a addiction....trying to buy things that aren't even listed for sell.....ugh!

Seriously, whoever posted HWT for K, and Artistic Pursuits......I am buying if you are selling!

Okay things for this year that we didn't use:

Home Economics for Home Schoolers Vol 1 used first 3 lessons and then decided it was to young for my girls (sold it a month ago)

Opal Wheeler books for Bach and Handel. Again planned to use with MFW;, but I am collecting these anyway.

Daily Language Review 5 by Evan Moor

Abeka Health for 5th Grade (ended up selling that last month too)

Not sure if this one counts: Story of the Ancient World by Christine Miller, bought it to go with MFW CTG and changed to HOD Preparing (which is an oveview). I knew I wasn't going to use is this particular year but kept it after selling the MFW stuff because I like her books and thought I would use it this coming year. Amazing thing is that the new HOD CTC coming out uses it as it's spine, so it will get used this coming year!!!

I think that's it.

I've got stuff from prior years I still haven't used -- but I'm sure I will get to it in the future.:tongue_smilie:

This year, the only thing I bought and didn't get to was a lego education kit. I love the idea of it, but we just never had the time. I'm hopeful that we'll use it next year.

Lisa

This was our first year....and a lot flopped. :blink:

R&S God's Marvelous Works-bought it, opened it a couple times, tried CH 1, put it away.

Seton Phonics 5-ds hated it! Doesn't need it anyway.

R&S Math 5-After trying and trying to like it, we finally gave up and put it away.

Seton Religion 5-tooooo dry.

Seton Art 5

Latina Christina

100 EZ Lessons-my 4 yr old CRIED everytime he saw me get this book out.

I think I have a better handle on things for next year....hopefully. :D

Okay, is any one selling these things, cuz I see lots of things on these lists that I want to buy....how's that for a addiction....trying to buy things that aren't even listed for sell.....ugh!

Seriously, whoever posted HWT for K, and Artistic Pursuits......I am buying if you are selling!

I have HWT for K listed on the FS board.

Heather

CW Aesop B: I liked this, but DS did not. We'll do the writing in R & S 5 next year, and our usual writing in other subjects.

Latin Christiana: It was so dry! We replaced it with Latin Prep, and now we both love Latin.

I think that's all. We use everything else that I have bought.

My dh has got to see this thread. He can't understand why on earth I would buy something and not use it....:tongue_smilie:

Here is my list:

SL 1+2 guide, I realized that zipping through books is not for me, but I am keeping the books to use later

SL 4 guide (same thing as above)

SL 5 guide (ditto)

LC 2 sold this as I think I am going to use First Form

Life of Fred Algebra--saving, but using MUS now for a while

Handbook of Nature Study, internet has been easier

A World of Adventure and game, did one unit and dropped it for SL :tongue_smilie:

Remembering God's Awesome Acts, I knew I wasn't fond of CGC so why would I like this?

Real Science 4 kids

I am going to the GHEA conference tomorrow. I hope I can reign myself in. :)

Drawing With Children

I purchased and got rid of The Handbook of Nature Study (Comstock), The Harp and Laurel Wreath, and Prima Latina.

I also have a bunch of assorted generic workbooks for first grade that have just not been used because we're pretty busy with the actual curricula!

I also have a lot of ETC sitting on the shelves. I bought 1.5-3.5 and the TM for Becca and we dropped them after a short while. Then I went back and bought 1 for Sylvia.

Oh, and the tests for SOTW 1. :confused:

Saxon 1 is also gathering dust - we dropped it very early in the school year, but I used some of the worksheets and I keep thinking it might work with Sylvia so I haven't gotten rid of it.

I don't remember what all! But I sold over $700 worth of stuff last year (some of which was gently used/used, but some of which we'd never used), and around $500 this year, a larger portion (than last year) of which was never used stuff! I really need to stop doing that!

Frankly, it would be easier for everyone if I listed the Latin curricula that I DON'T own. Note, please, that neither I nor my children (the oldest of whom is not yet 7, mind you) speak Latin.

I'm so ashamed.

:D

:lol:, For us it's not Latin but everything else, and my oldest is not yet 7 as well!!

Oh, I forgot...

I Can Do All Things, and Art Adventures At Home. plus I have more craft and project idea books that I care to admit

Now I want Artistic Pursuits.. What is WRONG with me??!!

This sounds like me. I Can Do All Things (and others in the series) are currently sitting unused, and I have just sold Art Adventures at Home. But we have just started Artisitc Pursuits and, so far, I love it!!!! :)

This sounds like me. I Can Do All Things (and others in the series) are currently sitting unused, and I have just sold Art Adventures at Home. But we have just started Artisitc Pursuits and, so far, I love it!!!! :)

Oh, good! I'm glad you are liking Artistic Pursuits, I think I am going to buy it! :D

Well for THIS year....we've used a BIT of it, but Artistic Pursuits is not getting much use.

For several years I've had the Kincaide Art still in the box.

I have 2 kit packs from Hands of A Child for CA history - planning to do that in the summer.

We made it partway through Latina Christiana 2 but since it's not mine I'm able to return it. LOL

Otherwise that's it...

Oh - forgot. Meet the Great Composers hasn't gotten any use.

I bought workbooks to go with the R&S readers we already have but they haven't been used either.

Linguistic Development through Poetry Memorization from IEW has seen no use....

I bought Lightning Literature 7 & didn't use it this year. We were happy with Progeny Press & grammar.

I still think my ds would like having short stories in the mix. But I hate having something with a big "7" on it, when he'd be an 8th grader next year. Guess that lime green duct tape he has will be useful for something :)

A Beka...hated it. we started second grade Language, Spelling and Poetry, Letters and Sounds, and Math. the math wasn't so bad, because it's great for test prep, but we went back to MUS and used some stuff from A Beka as a supplement. This friend of mine who has a million kids has great system set up for her kids using a beka. i'm a sucker for a good system. didn't anticpate that i would hate the material. so did my son (except for the math) and after a few weeks ditched it all and completely retooled. i love what we ended up with.

We are 1st year homeschoolers so I bought EVERTHING I found (lack of confidence in my teaching ability). My 2nd & 3rd grade girls were coming out of PS and I thought I had to do everything so they wouldn't miss out.

Artistic Pursuits-did the 1st four lessons

Horizons Math

Professor B math

R&S Math

BJU Math (anyone see a trend here?)

R&S Readers & WBs

R&S Health & Manners

R&S Science

R&S Social Studies

R&A Penmanship (I hated this!)

4 shelves of various workbooks, how-tos, and supplimental exercises

I could go on, but I'm embarassed enough now.

Faithe

If something is working for your dc, then there is nothing "wrong" with the program. :)

Oh, y'all! I feel so much better after having read through this thread! This was our first year and I was quite sure we'd get to everything. HAHAHA :lol: Now that I know better, I'm sure it still won't change. Oops!

This year:

HWT Printing Power

The Stories of the Great Composers (plan to use next year)

BF Teaching Character through Literature

Prima Latina (plan to use next year)

Singapore CWP (didn't use as planned, but plan to use next year)

Apologia Astronomy plus Lapbook cd-rom

Sequential Spelling

Artistic Pursuits (already sold & was considering purchasing AGAIN to attempt next year - read through this thread & laughed!)

I'm sure there is something else, but I can't remember what. I need to go through what I have & list it on the FS board along with BJU Reading 3 that we've completed.

What a fabulous thread. Thank you all for making me feel normal. Well, more normal anyway!

I don't remember what all! But I sold over $700 worth of stuff last year (some of which was gently used/used, but some of which we'd never used), and around $500 this year, a larger portion (than last year) of which was never used stuff! I really need to stop doing that!

WOW! I need to look through my bookshelves and see what I can get rid of! How are you selling your used curriculum?

I just got Artistic Pursuits at conference this past weekend. It looks like it will be perfect, because I don't have to teach it.

:party:

Well, that is what the author says.:)

Great thread! It's interesting to see what other's haven't used. I like hearing the "why's" behind it too. It helps in making future choices. I'm not currently HSing, but I did in 2007-08 and am coming "home" again next year.

So, since I HSed a year ago, I'll tell you what I didn't use that year. The music and art portion of MFW 1st. Then, I bought Draw Write Now and it's sitting too, lol. Oh, we only used parts of the ETC books too, but I liked them. The boy's, not so much. They didn't like the writing part, lol. Who can blame them, they're boys after all, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

We couldn't get through MFW ECC...got stuck around week 8 and just never pushed through. I decided to let it go and sold it a few weeks ago. We have since moved on to MOH.

We were not too dedicated with formal science stuff this year and only made it to Chapter 4 of Real Science 4 kids biology. I am hanging on to it in hopes that we will eventually make it through the book!