Menu

s/o swine flu thread - would you let family go to Mexico right now?

My DH is slated to go on a cruise to Mexico this weekend. It's an annual 'bonus' cruise for work. I'm not going (not allowed to go, but that's another thread), but I'm worried since he's going to be closed up on a cruise ship with a ton of other people, heading to Cozumel, and of course most of those people (DH included) are going to be drunk most of the time and not exactly focusing on good hygiene.

The cruise line is working with the CDC to determine whether it's even safe to go to Cozumel or not; if not, the idea is that they'll just go elsewhere. I suppose that should settle me down, because I am supposed to trust the CDC to have a clue what's going on. I do... a little bit... but not that much. Part of me doesn't really care and just wants him to stay home anyway because I'm just not happy with the timing right now.

What would you do? Would you let him go if the CDC okays Cozumel or if the cruise line finds an alternate port?

I'm freaking out just a little here...

...and of course most of those people (DH included) are going to be drunk most of the time and not exactly focusing on good hygiene.

Well, based on what you said in your post, I can assure you that my dh would not be going on that cruise.

And it would have nothing to do with the flu. :glare:

But... in light of the current health concerns, it would seem prudent for your dh to skip the cruise and stay at home. Otherwise, who knows whether he will be ill when he gets back -- or even worse, be fine at first, and then end up infecting the entire family if he does get sick.

Cat

I'm sorry, but I'm just having trouble getting past the part about your dh going on a cruise sponsored by his employer that you are not allowed to go on and where everyone is expected to be drunk a good part of the time. The flu would be the least of my concerns.:confused:

:iagree:

I have a real problem with the drunken part. Forget the flu...that's a non-issue compared to the other stuff. I cannot imagine any responsible adult going on such a cruise with those expectations. It's really appalling to me.

Ria

Not a chance my dh would go on that cruise. Mexico is in a state of emergency and almost everything is closed. If it were me, I would say 'Thanks sweetie for all the hard work you do for us, but you ain't goin' to Mexico...'.

Ginger

I'm sorry, but I'm just having trouble getting past the part about your dh going on a cruise sponsored by his employer that you are not allowed to go on and where everyone is expected to be drunk a good part of the time. The flu would be the least of my concerns.:confused:

Both of these...

or is he looking for an excuse to get out of it?

My husband would be so dreading a cruise with work people (especially drunk ones) without me that he wouldn't need a swine flu to decline. But sometimes it's hard to decline. Sometimes the pressure can be pretty heavy, and in these difficult economic times, maybe it's hard for guys not to go along with what is expected of them at work.

Anyway, if my husband didn't really want to go anyway, I would be happy to strongly voice my worries about the flu. I wouldn't want him to go to Mexico. I actually don't like him going anywhere. Even if he wanted to go I would be asking him to get opinions on the safety of going to Mexico in particular.

Personally would have no problem with my DH going on a drunken cruise to Mexico. I would probably just remind him to wash his hands frequently and skip any close contact with locals... he has the sense to skip close contact with co-workers.

Not a chance my dh would go on that cruise. Mexico is in a state of emergency and almost everything is closed. If it were me, I would say 'Thanks sweetie for all the hard work you do for us, but you ain't goin' to Mexico...'.

Ginger

:iagree:

My dh wouldn't be going. And not because of the flu. And not because I would object to the drunkeness and other hanky panky that could be going on. Although I'd **** sure object to it. He wouldn't go because that would not appeal to him. I'm betting he'd take a firing before going on something like that.

And btw they have FLU down there............hello??

Any company that would insist on it's employees going along with something like that wouldn't be worth working for.

Edited by Remudamom

If he did go and got sick is he prepared for the possibility of not being allowed back into the country? US citizen or not, if the situation changes, he could end up stuck there. I don't know how likely that is, but it's something to check into.

Will he take a plane to the ship? Close quarters on a plane and the flu doesn't sound good. You can't tell if someone has a fever. All they have to do is take some tylenol and ibuprophen. Then again, if he gets the flu he can be the designated neighborhood nurse if it hits your neighborhood. :)

Ginger

Mostly only in and around DF.

I agree thoug that I would prefer my dh not go, but he is an adult and would ultimatly have to make that choice. All you can do is seak your mind, but it may come down to respecting his decision in the end. Youmay want to point out that you feel it's a decision you should make together and if he insists on going he should be resectful of you concerns and fears. Also,if he decides to go,you should talk about the precautions he, and maybe activities he should avoid. Good luck and please keep us udated.

Danielle

A Canadian health agency is warning against travel to Mexico, where there's an outbreak of human swine flu, unless absolutely necessary.

The Public Health Agency of Canada issued the warning late Monday, saying travellers should postpone any non-essential travel to the country until further notice.

A cruise is by no means "absolutely necessary" ...maybe point that out to him?

Well, based on what you said in your post, I can assure you that my dh would not be going on that cruise.

And it would have nothing to do with the flu. :glare:

But... in light of the current health concerns, it would seem prudent for your dh to skip the cruise and stay at home. Otherwise, who knows whether he will be ill when he gets back -- or even worse, be fine at first, and then end up infecting the entire family if he does get sick.

Cat

Absolutely what Catwoman said...especially the first part. That was exactly what my mind was thinking when I read your post.

Seriously...no way with the flu going on.

I am glad to know I'm not the only one who would want to nix this. I am still having mixed feelings. I don't have a problem with the drinking because he is a responsible adult and I trust him; it's just the confined space/destination/airplane flights to Miami and back. As for whether this is or is not "absolutely necessary," the VP of the company who heads this up only lets people on the cruise who have met certain criteria, so while it's not 100% required, it's 99% essential for him to see and be seen, especially in the current economy. I am going back and forth and will probably lay down the law based on what Carnival Cruise Lines decide to do with regards to desination and so forth. I hate being wishy-washy, and I hate waiting. I'll definitely keep you posted.

Putting aside the risk to himself, if that doesn't particularly concern him, has he thought about the possibility of bringing this disease home to his family?

I know Cozumel isn't that close to the outbreaks (but keep an eye on that!), and there are places here in the US that are probably more of a concern than Cozumel. But still, those circumstances (confinement of plane ride, cruise ship) . . . well I wouldn't be too thrilled if my hubby were planning it. But my hubby's pretty germ-phobic so he wouldn't go!

Personally I wouldn't want dh going on a cruise where there was going to be lots of drinking, but he wouldn't want to do that either.

Aside from the drinking aspect, I would nix the trip simply because of the flight. There's no way to know who else is going to be on that plane and where they've been. And I wouldn't want him going to Cozumel, regardless of how far it is from Mexico City.

If dh insisted on going on the cruise, he wouldn't be entering my house again until after the incubation period had long passed. He could stay in a hotel for a week after his return.

Maybe. Have a look at this map. Cozumel is a long way (looks like 600 miles or so) from the nearest cases.

That map could look very different in a couple days though.

True- but the news reporting has said that the student cases in NY and CA started with teens who spent spring break in Cancun, which is quite near Cozumel.

It seems odd to me that folks brought it back to the states from Cancun, but Mexico has no reported cases there. :confused:

True- but the news reporting has said that the student cases in NY and CA started with teens who spent spring break in Cancun, which is quite near Cozumel.

It seems odd to me that folks brought it back to the states from Cancun, but Mexico has no reported cases there. :confused:

Maybe they had to catch a connecting flight through Mexico City?

There's no way to know who else is going to be on that plane and where they've been.

So true. We have our own potential flight coming up in three weeks that I'm considering canceling and it doesn't even go out of Canada - but, it *does* make a connection through two BIG airports, with people coming and going from all over the world. It could easily end up being a flight with people who are coming back from Mexican vacations... my dh isn't gonna like it, but I think the trip is gonna get postponed. (He's not going, so it doesn't really effect him, but he'll be ticked that I postponed it cuz it'll prolly cost us to change the tickets or whatever, dunno how that works)

Would I 'let' family...well, none of my kids are old enough to travel independantly, so they're out...which leaves my dh. We're too broke for him to go anywhere, other than flights of fancy:tongue_smilie: Seriously, NO. Honestly, I would truly be in such fear for him, and our family, I would likely be in tears that he would be so self centred as to persist in wanting to go when there was such a potential danger as this. And my dh KNOWS that I don't cry as a weapon, ever. If it had gotten to that point in the discussion (which I sincerely doubt, because a) my dh wouldn't take a trip like that alone, b) when I said I wasn't going, he'd bail, and c) if he WERE going alone, the potential danger to his family would have him cancelling, ASAP) that would have him bailing immediately. If I'm scared to the point of tears....yeah, that's it.

Well the Mexican Gov. decided today to close schools nationwide. I live in Mexico and have been in contact with family in different areas (DF, Hidalgo, Cinaloa, Ensenada, Playas and Tijuana) and up until Monday only DF was in a virtual lock down. Some of the news has said cities near the border were as well, but that wasn't true until today. This leads me to believe that the officials in the know are a lot more worried about this now than we thought.

What I meant earlier was just that, it was in and around DF at that moment where the lock down was taking place. Clearly that has changed ad there must be a reason. I urge you to talk to your dh again. I live in Mexico in an area not yet affected, but plan on staying in the states, near American healthcare until further notice. I am not putting myself at unneeded risk and I own a house there. So your concerns are valid. I hope you are able to convince him so that you can feel at ease.

Danielle

At the moment, as posted, yes, Carnival has cancelled all cruises to any Mexican ports of call. The question now is whether they find another port (Nassau seems the most likely IMHO but they are slated to post later) or whether they spend another day at sea. If they find another port, I'm probably going to throw a fit and keep him here; if not, I'm still not sure. I *have* informed him that no matter what, if he comes home and ANY of his coworkers (or him) have so much as sniffle, he's quarantined until further notice. He said he'll go live at his boss's house. I said kudos to him and go for it. Will keep you updated. The fact that this is definitely being passed from person to person is making me look even harder at making him stay home. He still thinks I'm overreacting; I'm contemplating breaking out the tears. This could be an interesting standoff. USDGAL, thank you very much for a perspective from someone who has been there. I really appreciate you all.

My DH is slated to go on a cruise to Mexico this weekend. It's an annual 'bonus' cruise for work. I'm not going (not allowed to go, but that's another thread), but I'm worried since he's going to be closed up on a cruise ship with a ton of other people, heading to Cozumel, and of course most of those people (DH included) are going to be drunk most of the time and not exactly focusing on good hygiene.

The cruise line is working with the CDC to determine whether it's even safe to go to Cozumel or not; if not, the idea is that they'll just go elsewhere. I suppose that should settle me down, because I am supposed to trust the CDC to have a clue what's going on. I do... a little bit... but not that much. Part of me doesn't really care and just wants him to stay home anyway because I'm just not happy with the timing right now.

What would you do? Would you let him go if the CDC okays Cozumel or if the cruise line finds an alternate port?

I'm freaking out just a little here...

There are absolutely ZERO reported cases here in QRoo (the state of Mexico housing Cozumel). We've had 21 cases tested but none tested positive for A/H1N1. The Mexican government and local businesses have been amazingly responsive to the epidemic. Local grocery stores have bleach spray wipe downs of grocery carts, disposable gloves available at the entrances and wipes (Kirkland brand at Costco) available at all checkouts and entrances. We're taking the virus very seriously here but have had absolutely no cases. I don't know if you have had any cases in your state, but if you have, are your local businesses taking the same precautions that our local businesses are? And that is with zero reported cases!

I'd say he should come on down. Course, he might sit next to someone from California at dinner and get infected, or someone from Minnesota or someone from a US state with infections and get the flu.