Menu

Non-Religious Easter??

Was it one of those congregations that other churches of Christ call "anti."

That is anti-everything?

LOL--could be. Dancing, musical instruments, etc. were not allowed in the church building or to be set to religious themes. Secular themes, dancing, & music were fine, ironically. :lol:

I think it's a regional thing. All the CCs I've been to in Tx are that way. I mean, I've only been to 4-5, but it's so assumed that I had no idea other CCers thought differently until I was in college.

No, wrong pagan Goddess. It was Eostre (at least according to Venerable Bede, but whether there really was a well-known Germanic goddess of spring by that name is much disputed). The similarity between that and Ishtar is simply a coincidence of sounds, not a common origin of the word. The language basis for Ishtar is Semitic, not related to the origins of Germanic languages. It is only in German and English (which is heavily influenced by German) that it is referred to as Easter. In most other languages it is derived from the Hebrew word for Passover---Pesach--though some (like the Slavic languages) use some variation of another word.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/easter7.htm

In most of the remaining languages in countries with a Christian heritage, the name for Easter is derived from "Pesach." (פסח in Hebrew) the name for Passover: These include:

Afrikaans: Paasfees

Albanian: Pashkët

Amharic: (Fasika)

Arabic: عيد الفصح (Aīd ul-Figh)

Azeri Pasxa: Fish (pronounced fis`h)

Berber: tafaska (nowadays it is the name of the Muslim "Festival of sacrifice")

Catalan: Pasqua

Danish: PÃ¥ske

Dutch: Pasen or paasfeest

Esperanto: Pasko

Faroese: Páskir (plural, no singular exists)

Finnish: Pääsiäinen

French: Pâques

Greek: Πάσχα (Pascha)

Hebrew: פסחא (Pascha)

Icelandic: Páskar

Indonesian: Paskah

Irish: Cáisc

Italian: Pasqua

Japanese: Seidai Pasuha, "Holy and Great Pascha"), used by Eastern Orthodox members

Latin: Pascha or Festa Paschalia

Lower Rhine: German Paisken

Malayalam: പെശഹ (Pæsacha/Pæsaha)

Northern Ndebele: Pasika

Norwegian: PÃ¥ske

Persian: Pas`h

Polish: Pascha

Portuguese: Páscoa

Romanian: Paşte

Russian: Пасха (Paskha)

Scottish Gaelic: Casca

Spanish: Pascua

Swedish: PÃ¥sk

Tagalog: (Philippines) Pasko ng Muling Pagkabuhay (literally "the Pasch of the Resurrection")

Turkish Paskalya

Welsh: Pasg

Thanks for the clarification, not that it affects the whole matter of whether to celebrate Easter or not for me. I am fascinated by languages and understand the importance of getting it right. Thanks for posting this.:)

Again, I understand the significance of the crucifixion of Christ being at the end of Passover as He is the Passover Lamb sacrificed for the sins of believers and I rejoice over His resurrection daily. Easter, however, is not a Christian holiday and the current celebration of it by professing Christians is a result of mixing pagan elements with Biblical truth - the very thing God kept warning the Israelites to avoid all through the Old Testament. It has become a tradition, but it is not based on the Bible.

I've never heard anyone claim this in the face of the pagan histories of these holidays. I really don't understand your reasoning here.

"Reasoning"? Well, I can't help what kinds of celebrations pagans might have done. I don't do those. What I know is that there is historical evidence that Jesus was resurrected following Passover, which is a specific calendar date, and from the earliest recorded church history, Christians have celebrated that Resurrection, also at this time of year.

I'm not "claiming" anything. I'm just saying that it is irrelevant to me what pagans do.

I'm telling my sister this and she is making fun of me for being exactly what I said...naive.

Ok...I'm ready to be ridiculed!! :)

Liz in NC

I don't think this is a naive question - you didn't know, so you asked - that is a good thing. I asked myself this question the first few years after I left religion.

I never celebrated Easter as a Christian (JWs also consider it pagan) but we remembered Jesus's death. We didn't celebrate Christmas either for the same reasons, so I was unsure how to proceed. Fortunately, my husband grew up in a family that celebrated both, so he showed me the ropes so we could keep some traditions going.

Now that I not religious - we just do the fun "pagan" things - like paint and hide eggs, eat candy etc. If we are at my in laws, we do that, and have a nice dinner together. (They are religious, but I am not sure if they go to church for Easter - they didn't used to.)

This year, we will do the eggs, candy, and are meeting a bunch of non religious friends at a sushi restaurant for dinner. =)

That is irrelevant. *Easter* and *Christmas* are Christian holidays--more specifically, *holy* days.

Agreed. It is hard to take seriously the statement that CHRISTmas is not a religious holiday. Yes, other's were celebrating these times of year for other reasons long before. But at least for the US, these dates were made into National Holidays because they were, infact, important religious days for most citizens.

Everyone has their own traditions, beliefs, ways to mark time, etc. Why does everyone stress over what others do or believe?

The same reason some of us dealt with parents or other older relatives/friends who couldn't understand not circumsizing, breastfeeding, having our husbands in the delivery room, putting babies in carseats, homeschooling, and any other idea that is different from how they experienced similar situations. You can hear that whole 'we didn't do that and we turned out just fine.' And some see it as trying to invalidate their own beliefs, so they have to become defensive. Just IMHO, of course. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellie viewpost.gif

That is irrelevant. *Easter* and *Christmas* are Christian holidays--more specifically, *holy* days.

Agreed. It is hard to take seriously the statement that CHRISTmas is not a religious holiday. Yes, other's were celebrating these times of year for other reasons long before. But at least for the US, these dates were made into National Holidays because they were, infact, important religious days for most citizens.

Right -- I think most non-theists (if not all) would agree that "Christmas" is a religious term and holiday for Christians.

This is why our family, as non-theists, celebrate "Yule", complete with the Yule tree, etc., and say "Happy Yule", "Happy Holidays" or the like during that particular season. I don't mind if someone wishes me "Merry Christmas". I take it as an expression of goodwill.

What intrigues me is when a Christian confronts me and asks why we celebrate "Christmas" with my "Christmas tree", and gift giving, etc. :001_huh: I also am perplexed by those who insist that those who say "Happy Holidays" are somehow persecuting Christians by not saying "Merry Christmas" or, "taking the *Christ* out of Christmas". No, we are not taking anybody's *Christ* anywhere. We are simply celebrating our own holidays in our own way and trying to acknowledge that others might have something of their own to celebrate as well.

Right -- I think most non-theists (if not all) would agree that "Christmas" is a religious term and holiday for Christians.

This is why our family, as non-theists, celebrate "Yule", complete with the Yule tree, etc., and say "Happy Yule", "Happy Holidays" or the like during that particular season. I don't mind if someone wishes me "Merry Christmas". I take it as an expression of goodwill.

What intrigues me is when a Christian confronts me and asks why we celebrate "Christmas" with my "Christmas tree", and gift giving, etc. :001_huh: I also am perplexed by those who insist that those who say "Happy Holidays" are somehow persecuting Christians by not saying "Merry Christmas" or, "taking the *Christ* out of Christmas". No, we are not taking anybody's *Christ* anywhere. We are simply celebrating our own holidays in our own way and trying to acknowledge that others might have something of their own to celebrate as well.

Exactickly. :001_smile: It's the idea of one group 'owning' a season and that others have No right or reason to celebrate if they don't share the same beliefs, that is very off-putting. I'm definitely NOT saying that every christian or even every christian on this board, is that way. It is just something that is often encountered, IME.

This isn't true for every Christian holy day. You don't see a lot of ads encouraging buying Ash Wednesday kitsch, for instance, or at least I don't.

Thanks so much for planting this thought in my head. Now I'm going to be wondering if such things exist, and if I should try tracking them down.

I do know that you can buy Jewish-themed Christmas tree ornaments, which is not quite the same but still amusing.

Thanks so much for planting this thought in my head. Now I'm going to be wondering if such things exist, and if I should try tracking them down.

I do know that you can buy Jewish-themed Christmas tree ornaments, which is not quite the same but still amusing.

OK, now you made me look :D

http://www.zazzle.com/ash+wednesday+gifts

tshirts, buttons

http://www.familychristian.com/shop/product.asp?prodID=28080

a Coloring with Jesus coloring book that says it includes Ash Wednesday

That was pretty much all I could find, which is amazing.

Exactickly. :001_smile: It's the idea of one group 'owning' a season and that others have No right or reason to celebrate if they don't share the same beliefs, that is very off-putting. I'm definitely NOT saying that every christian or even every christian on this board, is that way. It is just something that is often encountered, IME.

"Easter" isn't a season; spring is. So, hey--all the folks in the world are welcome to do whatever they want to celebrate "spring," but only Christians celebrate *Easter* (even though some Christians don't celebrate Easter).

tshirts, buttons

To be fair, though, large numbers of Christians don't celebrate Ash Wednesday, particularly in the Bible Belt.

As far as Easter being named after a pagan goddess, that doesn't bother me at all. Today is Tiw's Day, after all. And as someone else pointed out, in most languages it is the Paschal feast.

The same reason some of us dealt with parents or other older relatives/friends who couldn't understand not circumsizing, breastfeeding, having our husbands in the delivery room, putting babies in carseats, homeschooling, and any other idea that is different from how they experienced similar situations. You can hear that whole 'we didn't do that and we turned out just fine.' And some see it as trying to invalidate their own beliefs, so they have to become defensive. Just IMHO, of course. :)

I don't see things that are matters of faith to some people, to be on equal footing with matters of opinion such as breastfeeding, carseats, homeschooling, etc. Matters of faith are much more emotionally charged. I doubt that there will ever be a war fought over, for example, putting babies in carseats, and having husbands in the delivery room. Kwim?

We have fought wars, and there have been genocides, and horrible crimes done in the name of, and in defense of, religious beliefs.

To equate matters of faith to those that you mentioned is, imo, a simplification.

"Easter" isn't a season; spring is. So, hey--all the folks in the world are welcome to do whatever they want to celebrate "spring," but only Christians celebrate *Easter* (even though some Christians don't celebrate Easter).

Okay, now I'm curious... what are non-Christians celebrating when they dye and hide hard-boiled eggs, create a basket of goodies, and sit their kids on the E-- er, big white bunny's lap?

Honest question, really. :)

Actually, I was kind of referring to the winter holiday season in that post. But there is definitely a spring holiday season too, which would include pagan, christian, and jewish holidays, as well as others that I may not be aware of.

Actually, I was kind of referring to the winter holiday season in that post. But there is definitely a spring holiday season too, which would include pagan, christian, and jewish holidays, as well as others that I may not be aware of.

Here in my neighborhood in addition to Easter (in both it's religious and secular forms) and Passover (widely observed), the big Spring holiday is coming to be Nowruz, which is Persian New Year and comes out of their Zoastarian heritage, and celebrates Springtime.

Bill

tshirts, buttons

I was so hoping someone would, *g*!

Now, see, at least these make sense - - an 'it's not dirt, it's Ash Wednesday,' t-shirt, gotta love it! And the button, oh how I am tempted by the button . . .

cool; where's your neighborhood?

I'm near New Orleans; we pretty much have . . . Easter. both secular and religious.

I'm sure there are a few other things going on, but that's the visible one.

I live in a suburb of Los Angeles. Nowruz is HUGE in my area. And it always involves good eating (Persian food is awesome) so I'll assimilate any cultural tradition that feeds me :tongue_smilie:

Bill (glutton :D)

Edited by Spy Car

But isn't that a little like renaming some other holiday--say Halloween--CHRIST-o-ween & then saying it's a religious holiday? Historically, that's all that Christmas is to Christians. Nobody even bothered to rename Easter.

Well. I hope I receive only positive replies!:D

This is a very interesting thread to read!

I'll only put down what we do. As a Christian I have often struggled with the commercialization of what we refer to as "Easter"- that is the suffering, crucifixion, and resurrection of Jesus Christ. I suppose I have the same feelings toward Christmas, although it's perhaps easier to rationalize some of the symbols and fit them into the framework of a celebration of the birth and life of Christ.:) We celebrate the beginning of Spring with egg dying, games, learning about new life, both animals and plants. The Easter week, beginning with Palm Sunday and going to Easter Sunday we are engaged in study and activities surrounding the final week of Christ's life.

There are many great insights throughout this thread. Somebody was complaining about a lack of deep discussion, I think this one fits the bill!

Perhaps the lesson learned here would be one of tolerance, and an acknowledgment that we are all on this awesome journey together, learning everyday!:grouphug:

Well, actually,they are whatever "you" or anyone want to make of them.

The past is the past, gone. You choose what to make holy in the present. If a previous culture had a celebration at that time (Spring in the northern hemishpere) long before the Christians took it over for themselves, which appears to be a fact, it doesn't really matter- anyone can make anything of any holiday they choose. It's personal. Like I can worship the sun every morning if i choose, anyone can choose to celebrate whatever they choose. So, they are Christian holidays for those who choose to identify with that, and to anyone who doesn't, they aren't used for that purpose. They are only especially holy if you subscribe to that belief system. Any day, any thing can be holy.

We dont think of it as especially holy...no more or less holy than any other day the sun rises, we wake up alive, breathing air, seeing with our miraculous eyes, hearing with our miraculous ears, able to experience this amazing world...but we try and minimise buying into commercial crap, and simply go along with the holiday out of convenience. We buy one small chocolate item for the kids- so they don't feel left out, but dh and I don't celebrate it ourselves. Yes, it's fairly shallow from one perspective. But just like there are some Christians who follow the rules and rituals mechanically, there are many non Christians who choose to celebrate the day, and any day, in their own, private way, and I feel that holiness is a quality you bring to the moment, a presence and state of mind based on gratitude, rather than necessarily adhering to an outer form.

But isn't that a little like renaming some other holiday--say Halloween--CHRIST-o-ween & then saying it's a religious holiday? Historically, that's all that Christmas is to Christians. Nobody even bothered to rename Easter.

THANK YOU, Aubrey!

Churches of Christ are not as rigid as they once were, in fact I'm not so sure that 50% of the people didn't just go ahead and celebrate Easter and Christmas the way other religious people did, anyway. Goodness didn't all the little girls' and boys' mothers pick that Sunday to make them wear their new clothes. Didn't they have big Sunday dinners? Didn't they sing "Up From the Grave He arose?" But for some reason they had to pretend it wasn't "celebrating Easter." LOL

Nowadays, people don't pretend much anymore. There is a much more relaxed attitude in a majority of congregations and some even embrace religious and cultural practices that would have been severely frowned upon in years past. Our congregation has an Easter egg hunt for the kids, which I do find odd, but I let my kids participate anyway.

My mother always left Easter baskets at the foot of our beds to find on Sunday morning, and my Father always gave us the talk about "pagan" holidays. Now, I don't do Easter baskets because I just don't see the need for more junk. And my kids get tons of candy from my mom and church. I would feel much more comfortable with the thought of a religious celebration of Resurrection Sunday than I do with other practices that are silly and leave kids expecting more stuff.

I grew up in fairly conservative congregations, so there wasn't even "pretending". No new clothes at Easter-time (there wasn't really much money for new clothing in my family anyway) or baskets of candy or anything. Though we did do Christmas tree/ Christmas music stuff.

In more recent years, dh & I have attended more Mainstream COCs (they call themselves "mainstream" but are called "liberal" by the non-institutional churches :lol:) and experienced more of what you mention...new clothes, lessons about the resurrection on Easter (though no actual mention of the connection :confused:) and so forth.

Our current congregation is more relaxed...several families definitely celebrate Easter, and others don't so much. It's not frowned on to mention the holiday whether secularly or religiously. :)

Oh, and the mainstream COCs do refer to the non-institutional COCs as "antis". :tongue_smilie:

Wow, Aubrey! I could have written that (exept for the Catholic college part.) :tongue_smilie:

Actually, we didn't do Easter at all. It's kind of funny, because my parents weren't really that extreme; I picked it up from the church "culture". Interesting to see a post from someone with a similar background to mine. :D

Isn't it funny! I am CofC and can't imagine not celebrating Christmas, Easter, or Halloween! I *know* that's what CofC has been known for, but I've never actually witnessed a C of C church who doesn't go all out for the holidays - all of them!

And Audrey, I'm in Dallas - there are lots of Cof C around here you probably wouldn't recognize as part of the same denomination. I hear about these churches where they don't allow kitchens and am horrified! My congregation is pretty conservative, but I'm sure we'd all be condemned to the hot place by some of the "anti-churches". It really makes me sad actually to have that as our heritage. It's a lot to live down. Not quite the Inquisition, but unpleasant all the same.

Edited by TXMomof4

Interestingly, it seems the Easter bunny is something that is primarily a tradition in Germanic-influenced cultures. In France (at least according to a very funny story by David Sedaris about cultural differences and language barriers) the church bells fly to Rome to visit the Pope and bring back chocolate.

The kids & I just read about the bells flying to & from Rome in our ChildCraft Encyclopedia yesterday, lol. (It's in the Holidays & Birthdays volume for anyone who is interested.) I'll have to look up Sedaris' essay about it!

Okay, now I'm curious... what are non-Christians celebrating when they dye and hide hard-boiled eggs, create a basket of goodies, and sit their kids on the E-- er, big white bunny's lap?

I dunno. :confused:

I dunno. :confused:

"The egg was a symbol of the rebirth of the earth in Pagan celebrations of spring and was adopted by early Christians as a symbol of the rebirth"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_egg

There is a foot note after this sentence to this link:

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/web/corporate/pages.nsf/Links/EA816EE5D35EB8258025714700320280/$file/History+of+the+Easter+Egg.pdf

Here is a snippet from that link:

"Before the egg became closely entwined with the Christian Easter, it was honoured during many rite-of-Spring festivals. The Romans, Gauls, Chinese, Egyptians and Persians all

cherished the egg as a symbol of the universe. From ancient times eggs were dyed, exchanged and shown reverence.

In Pagan times the egg represented the rebirth of the earth. The long, hard winter was over; the earth burst forth and was reborn just as the egg miraculously burst forth with life. The

egg, therefore, was believed to have special powers. It was buried under the foundations of buildings to ward off evil; pregnant young Roman women carried an egg on their persons to

foretell the sex of their unborn children; French brides stepped upon an egg before crossing the threshold of their new homes.

With the advent of Christianity the symbolism of the egg changed to represent, not nature's rebirth, but the rebirth of man. Christians embraced the egg symbol and likened it to the

tomb from which Christ rose."

Personally - we are celebrating the fact that we get to hang out with the kids, color things, hide them, the kids find them, and feast on candy.

I find all this muckity muck about who Easter "belongs to" quite silly. Look - when one culture spreads like wildfire through out the world, it is common for the local peeps to insert there previous rituals, etc., and combine with the new ones so they can keep some traditions going.

What I find extremely amusing is that here we are, on a message board where for a book that encourages making sure our kids know history - and we have some here denying any connection with pagan rituals, etc. (Not all of you, but some.)

As for me, I think I am going to celebrate Festivus this year. We didn't even bother putting up a Christmas tree this past December - and it was REALLY hard getting our Flying Spaghetti Monster on top of the tree the year before.

Festivus just seems so much more simpler.

What I find extremely amusing is that here we are, on a message board where for a book that encourages making sure our kids know history - and we have some here denying any connection with pagan rituals, etc. (Not all of you, but some.)

As for me, I think I am going to celebrate Festivus this year. We didn't even bother putting up a Christmas tree this past December - and it was REALLY hard getting our Flying Spaghetti Monster on top of the tree the year before.

Festivus just seems so much more simpler.

:lol:

:iagree:

I don't take my kids to see someone dressed up in a bunny suit and sit on their lap, I find that tacky and a bit creepy- just like Santa. ;)

When I give my kids baskets of goodies and we dye eggs and hide them (or plastic ones) I am celebrating life, the return of warmer weather, the passage of another year, the new abilities/strengths my kids have developed and will use during their Spring and Summer play, creativity, Tolerance, and anything else that I fancy. I'll also admit that while I do not believe in any gods/goddesses, fairies, sprites, unicorns, etc., it IS fun to celebrate seasons with some of the pagan rituals. :)

Guest Virginia Dawn

Oh, and the mainstream COCs do refer to the non-institutional COCs as "antis". :tongue_smilie:

I've never heard the phrase "non-institutional." What does that refer to?

I guess I've always gone to mainstream congregations. We have our own ideas about the meaning of "liberal." :)

I, for one, AM celebrating Spring when we dye the eggs pretty pastel colors (because I associate pastel colors with Spring), hide the plastic eggs outside because FINALLY it is not below freezing and the ice has melted, and sit the kids on the EASTER bunny's lap. Easter for me represents the true beginning of Spring.

I was raised Catholic and even though I do not follow that religion anymore, I still want to celebrate the changing of the seasons. I do associate many of the Easter traditions with celebrating the beginning of spring, just like I did when I was growing up. Stop trying to tell me not to.

Spring, community, tradition, etc.

For me, eggs and bunnies and all that stuff have more to do with spring than Christianity. Honestly, I never even thought much about the Christian implications of Easter until I was an adult, but I've come to think of the basket of goodies as a symbol of the abundance of the season.

Truth be told, I can't imagine what the Christian interpretations are of these things?

Probably a lot of families are still doing what their parents did without giving it much thought.

That's how it happened around here for a number of years.

I didn't grow up in a religious family. Easter morning was about baskets, bunnies, egg hunts and such. Then we gathered with extended family for a formal dinner.

Though I am a Christian now and celebrate the weekend differently, remembering Christ's death on Good Friday and celebrating His resurrection on Sunday, I still visit with my family and enjoy a formal dinner on Sunday afternoon.

After all, in the Pacific Northwest, it's not a terrible thing to welcome spring after all those months of snow and rain. ;)

Edited by Crissy

I don't see things that are matters of faith to some people, to be on equal footing with matters of opinion such as breastfeeding, carseats, homeschooling, etc. Matters of faith are much more emotionally charged. I doubt that there will ever be a war fought over, for example, putting babies in carseats, and having husbands in the delivery room. Kwim?

We have fought wars, and there have been genocides, and horrible crimes done in the name of, and in defense of, religious beliefs.

To equate matters of faith to those that you mentioned is, imo, a simplification.

Yeah, well, not to put too fine a point on it, but lots of self-identified religious folks seemed to feel just fine beating up on the pacifists (for many of whom nonviolence is a matter of faith) because they were defending their right to own guns over in "that other thread." And an awful lot of them seemed to have no problem equating their political opinions with my beliefs.

I think the door has to swing both ways.

The kids & I just read about the bells flying to & from Rome in our ChildCraft Encyclopedia yesterday, lol. (It's in the Holidays & Birthdays volume for anyone who is interested.) I'll have to look up Sedaris' essay about it!

It really needs to be heard for the best effect http://davis-cinema.blogspot.com/2008/06/french-lessons.html. I don't remember if it is totally child-safe or not, so listen first (my husband says there's definitely an instance of the f-word at the end;)).

Well, we are celebrating the American cultural holiday of Easter (we don't do the big bunny either) when we do those specific things. We pour libations, make offerings, etc for our religious celebration of the Equinox.

Frankly, I figure most Christians are doing about the same thing when they do those things. I always assumed that to celebrate their religious holiday they went to church and participated in a worship service---at least I did when I was Christian. Do some Christians consider the goody basket, sitting on the bunny's lap and egg hunt a form of worship? If so, perhaps therein lies the problem.

I've never heard the phrase "non-institutional." What does that refer to?

I guess I've always gone to mainstream congregations. We have our own ideas about the meaning of "liberal." :)

Non-Institutional (or NIs...which sounds kind of like "anits" depending on how you pronounce anti :lol:) COCs don't believe that it's the Church's job to support institutions (such as orphan's homes) or in preachers having a "sponsoring church" that handles all of their pay. So, for example, my Dad, who was a COC missionary and preacher for many years, gathered his own support from multiple congregations and received checks from them (and individuals). He also filed taxes as a "self-employed" person. NI churches typically also don't allow eating in the building for various reasons. There is a lot of discussion about what can be funded by the chruch v. what can be funded by individuals. I believe this split (over money usage/institutionalism) occured in the 1950s. Here is a very interesting book on the history of Churches of Christ: http://www.amazon.com/Reviving-Ancient-Faith-Churches-America/dp/0891125256/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239215461&sr=8-1

Now, back to the Easter discussion...:tongue_smilie:

Non-Institutional (or NIs...which sounds kind of like "anits" depending on how you pronounce anti :lol:) COCs don't believe that it's the Church's job to support institutions (such as orphan's homes) or in preachers having a "sponsoring church" that handles all of their pay. So, for example, my Dad, who was a COC missionary and preacher for many years, gathered his own support from multiple congregations and received checks from them (and individuals). He also filed taxes as a "self-employed" person. NI churches typically also don't allow eating in the building for various reasons. There is a lot of discussion about what can be funded by the chruch v. what can be funded by individuals. I believe this split (over money usage/institutionalism) occured in the 1950s. Here is a very interesting book on the history of Churches of Christ: http://www.amazon.com/Reviving-Ancient-Faith-Churches-America/dp/0891125256/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1239215461&sr=8-1

Now, back to the Easter discussion...:tongue_smilie:

I am always amazed when people start talking about anti-churches. I guess I'm just lucky that I've always attended mainstream churches. I know of "mean" congregations but it breaks my heart to have *my* church known for this kind of bickering and biting. Do you think C of C will ever be known for anything other than the church that "thinks they're the only ones going to heaven"?

I am always amazed when people start talking about anti-churches. I guess I'm just lucky that I've always attended mainstream churches. I know of "mean" congregations but it breaks my heart to have *my* church known for this kind of bickering and biting. Do you think C of C will ever be known for anything other than the church that "thinks they're the only ones going to heaven"?

I pm'd you. :)

and today is Woden's Day...tomorrow is Thor's Day, followed by Frey's (or Freya's, depending on who you ask) Day!

Yep! As a Christian, I also don't have a problem with August being named after the "god' Augustus Caesar, nor with a book of the Bible coming from the name of the goddess Ishtar (Esther). The name "Easter" just doesn't give me any heebie-jeebies at all. After all, God seems perfectly satisfied to have kept the name "Esther" as the title of the book in the Bible rather than calling the book "Hadassah".

I'm non-religious, and my family celebrates Easter. My mom's family is Catholic, so we grew up celebrating it with extended family, and have just carried on the traditions with our own children. We do a big brunch, have an egg hunt, and the kids get baskets. I don't see how bunnies and eggs have much to do with Jesus anyway, so that's the part we celebrate.