Menu

nine months and no crawling....

Is she mobile in any other way? Scooting on her butt? "Cruising" on two feet while holding onto tables, etc.?

Some kids just don't crawl, but seem to find their own alternate way of getting around until they're walking.

None of my four children crawled untill after they could walk. They did walk early, but did not crawl early. One dragged herself arm over arm like an army soldier.

My first daughter (fourth child) never crawled. She scooted around on her bottom. She was so good at this that she never tried to walk. We were concerned when she wasn't walking at 17 months and had a physical therapist come to our home to evaluate her. She ended up telling us that she had us all trained and she would walk when she had to. She was speaking in complete sentences and would just tell whoever was holding her where she wanted to go.

I was 7 months pregnant at the time and knew I was about to have an infant and she needed to walk. I simply sat her down, told her she HAD to walk - and she did!

We don't own a walker.

You know, 2 of my other children were considered "late walkers". One of them had a physical reason for it and the other one just didn't want to walk. I don't remember any of them being so slow to crawl, as all three olders were excellent crawlers. I have noticed with having a two year old around, this one is more in arms and doesn't get the floor time that the older three did. I'm working on making a point of giving her (little one) more time on the floor.

Thanks for the reassurance. To be honest, this one seems like my earliest communicator yet as she seems to actually mimic our words so closely that she almost talks. (She definately says Mama!)

She does manage to get around on the floor, it's more of an accidental moving than purposeful, but she can make her way around a room.

Thanks for the quick responses.

No. My youngest was walking before she ever crawled. She didn't learn to crawl until the age of 2. Even so she never really does it unless her sisters are on the floor crawling around. Her way to get around was scooting on her bottom. Now she doesn't walk , she runs!LOL.

9 months is too young to worry.

One dragged herself arm over arm like an army soldier.

That's what my nephew just started doing, he is 9 months and not crawling either. I don't think there is any problem, 2 of my kids did not start crawling until around 9 months, the first one crawled at 9 months and was walking before his first b-day, my last one didn't crawl until 9 months and didn't walk until 15 months, now at almost 18 months you would never know she did those things later, she is a running/jumping/going concern. Actually I miss her less mobile days ;)

I wouldn't worry yet.

I don't think mine were crawling by 9 months; they talked early and walked late. My youngest never did crawl--she could, but she preferred to scoot on her butt or do a sort of bunny hop thing. She was happy that way and didn't walk until 17 months. But they could both say words by 9 months. I have very lopsided children. :D

My oldest did not crawl until he was 10 or 11 months. He also refused to stand - if you lowered him to the ground, he would pull up his legs higher and higher to make sure that he would not be putting his weight on them, LOL. That chubby, roly-poly baby had no interest in being mobile. If there was something he wanted and couldn't roll to it, he would complain loudly until someone fixed the problem for him. Not only did he think movement was too much work, he was just too busy learning to be mobile. He eventually did crawl and learned to walk at about 15 months. He was speaking in sentences by 13 months, knew all his letters by 18 months, and taught himself to read before he was 4. Now he is 15 years old and a brown belt in Karate:).

My oldest didn't crawl until 9 1/2 months, but he still walked the day before his 1st birthday. He pretty much just sat there like a lump until he suddenly tipped himself forward and started crawling perfectly one day. We used to say he had an "If I can't reach it, I don't need it" approach to babyhood.

My son didn't crawl until almost 11 months. Walked at 14 months. I was freaked out. the Dr wasn't.

But then my friend years ago tells me her daughter wasn't crawling at 9mo. I told my story and she didn't worry. BUT something was wrong.

she didn't mention the child also couldn't pull to standing position at all. come to find out she had a weak muscle issue and is still in therapy years later for it.

SOOOO, my advice is to trust the Dr. Ask questions and let the Dr see the child and how it moves. Many kids don't crawl ever! But they should be able to stand with help or pull up at some point.

I ask because I see the ages of your other kids. My nephew was in this position, was a very late crawler, because the 3 olders always brought him anything he wanted or needed. They were being sweet and helpful, but they also removed any incentive he had to actually get around on his own.

For my come-lately fourth, I put her down, some favorite toys just out of reach, and made sure the older kids didn't intervene. It got her moving! Can't remember her age, exactly, but she was younger than 9 months (but not much, maybe 8 months, I think), and I was pretty sure she could move if she really wanted to.

FWIW, my first son did the army crawl/alligator crawl until he was in his 9th month. He could get around fast that way! I honestly figured he would bypass "real" crawling. Being around other infants who actually crawled on hands and knees seemed to spur his desire to finally get up and rock on his own hands and knees. Maybe your olders could play a crawling game and "demonstrate" for Miss Mousie? All in play, though, because I don't think you have anything to worry about at this stage! Oooo, I miss those firsts, they are so adorable! Pretty soon you'll blink and she'll be running all over the house!

ETA: I agree with another poster who mentioned checking her out if there are other symptoms. At this age, she should probably be able to stand at least briefly with you holding her hands for balance (you know, the stand on Mommy's lap game).

Edited by AuntieM

My first never crawled and was told by a mean lady at Gymboree that meant my child would never read. I believed her, home in tears over this, but my mom helped to settle me down. Now she is seven and has been reading for awhile now. Crawling is totally optional, some kids just don't ever do it.

It's nothing to worry now, but watch for fine motor delays later. The act of crawling strengthens those little arm and hand muscles. (which *could* be why some people think non-crawlers are non-readers...the fm delay + the dependance upon writing in the typical 1st grade classroom very well could = a non-reader)

My ds6 crawled at about 9mo and literally the next day was cruising around, holding onto furniture and never really crawled much ever after. If I could go back, knowing what I know now, I would have made an effort to play on the floor with him with the express purpose of getting him to crawl, even after he was walking. He was sent to an OT at 4yo for fm delay, but is writing *and reading* now.

My dd didn't crawl until she was over a year old. She rolled. I'm convinced that it's because the house we were in was so small that there was no need to crawl. She could roll twice and be from one side of the room to the other. :001_smile:

She did eventually learn how to crawl at about 13 or 14 months I think and then walked at 16 months. She's 6 now and perfectly normal - except that she can't do a cartwheel. ;)

My 7 mo old says hi, so I believe you that she is talking! :D

My DS said "milk" as his first word at 7 months! (But then again, apparently I lie about my children. *rolls eyes* Yeah, DS isn't in RS D, either. *snorts*)

And if she's talking a bit, I wouldn't worry at ALL. I wouldn't worry much until she's a year, honestly. Too many kids skip crawling.

My oldest didn't crawl until he was 10.5 months. He is also my highly gifted child. I think he was too busy learning how to speak, etc. to worry about dumb old motor skills. :o

I wouldn't worry just yet. In fact, I'd be grateful! Once they learn to crawl, they are into everything!

Crawling is an important developmental milestone and organizes the brain in many important ways. Many have kids that don't crawl, or they were told they didn't crawl themselves, and this is true, some do not. I would encourage crawling though, like you are doing with giving the opportunity. Mine all crawled late, but crawl they did-I made sure of it. IF they don't crawl before they walk, they can still crawl later, but it's worth doing.

Crawling is an important developmental milestone and organizes the brain in many important ways. Many have kids that don't crawl, or they were told they didn't crawl themselves, and this is true, some do not. I would encourage crawling though, like you are doing with giving the opportunity. Mine all crawled late, but crawl they did-I made sure of it. IF they don't crawl before they walk, they can still crawl later, but it's worth doing.

Could you please provide a source/link for this information? I'm just curious because I have always been told crawling was not an important developmental milestone. Thanks.

I wonder if maybe crawling is like skipping, not so much a developmental milestone but something children should be able to do at some point. (Currently teaching my seven year old how to skip. You should see the looks I get...crazy American lady with a baby strapped to her chest skipping down the road.)

I've had a child with some developmental delays and always regretted not getting earlier intervention than I did.

Of course that was years ago before a lot of the "warning signs" were public knowledge.

I will keep an eye out for any other delays, though. Any good websites on normal development for babies? I check baby center.

One thing is, we are attachment parents, meaning we breastfeed on demand, cosleep, and wear our babies. Usually around the house I don't wear her as much, but when we go anywhere I do. To be honest, she spends a part of every day in some sort of baby wearing device. This could be part of the later crawling as well.

Still, she does seem pretty alert. Her fine motor skills seem on track and besides the crawling, her gross motor skills seem on track as well.

We've been doing crawling games with her, though. The boys especially enjoy that.

Now, by standing, do you mean can they stand if you hold them up (like are the legs strong enough)? or can she pull up? She cannot pull up and is nowhere near that.

I appreciate all the input on this thread! I had been feeling sort of lonely having just moved to the UK from the US in December. :) It's nice to feel so supported.

that her legs could somewhat support her weight if you hold her at the waist. It would show she is developing strength in them. We always played it like a fun bouncing/jumping game on mommy's lap.

As for pulling up, I can't remember when mine did that in the crib, seems they were doing it by 8 months, but in your case with no crib rail to pull up on, this is something your baby would not do. My kids all became *really* good at pulling up and cruising along the furniture after they became locomotive... when they could move across the room, then they wanted to get vertical!

hhmmmm I didn't get past page 1. I do believe that crawling is a MUST have milestone!! Before my dd I would agree with it being optional. NOT NOW!! My dd didn't crawl at all. I found out when she was 2 that crawling is a must have in order to get past functions in the brain. She is autistic. Now I am not saying that her not crawling caused her to be autistic. No I am not saying that. The OT said that in most cases where a child didn't crawl at all has something wrong with them. In most cases these kids are ADD/ADHD or autistic. My dd went from rolling to walking. She skipped the crawling stage. So part of her therapy was to learn how to crawl. When she learned to crawl we could tell a difference in her. Things started to come easy for her. She was able to do things that she couldn't do before crawling. Now keep in mind that she is still autistic (high functioning) even though she learned to crawl.

After this I am a firm believer that crawling is a must have milestone. It is NOT optional.

Holly

Scmooey didn't crawl until 10-11 months. He could "levitate" though. I would turn around and he would be 3 feet across the floor, still sitting up. Once he started crawling, he was really good at it because he waited so long. He had a mom and 2 sisters picking him up at his every squeak, so he wasn't terribly motivated to move on his own, I don't think. :D

He walked at 12.5 months. Now he's running and trying to jump, which is so cute - he pretty much gets up on his toes but there's no doubt what he's trying to do.

I wouldn't worry about it. I have a friend whose dd didn't crawl until after she was a year and didn't walk until at least 15 months - I can't remember exactly. You could look at her and see that she was strong and healthy; there was nothing to worry about and her doctor told her that. So, as long as everything else is good, I wouldn't stress about it. I do know it's hard not to do that, though, and I was not good at taking my own advice. :)