Menu

You know you're a homeschool failure when...

your 13 year old asks if "nirvana" is spelled the same as the state.

The state of nirvana...hmmm. Time for some American studies perhaps? I said to her, "Do you mean NEVADA?"

Poor thing was pretty embarressed. I think this is probably the funniest homeschool faux-pas so far. Almost as good as my nealry 9 year old not being able to tell his Italian teacher what month he was born in (and yet the three year old knows his exact birthday).

Can someone console me with a similar story? Or do I get the worst homeschooler award for having a 13 year old who thinks there's a State of Nirvana?

My 7 year old ds knew this one but for some reason he was having a really tough time with it ROFL...

In front of my hubby's anti homeschooling family, my son couldn't come up with the answer to this question.. "What do 3 quarters equal?" he was stumped. When my dh told me that I felt so ashamed Noah couldn't answer that question. He knew it it he saw the actual problem on paper... but not in real life. It was odd, and totally embarrassing.

We moved just over 3 years ago. It was a horrid drawn seven month, eight hundred mile move. We seemed to be in moving mode forever.

So the next year when we were studying the states we got to one state and ds proclaimed it the state of U-haul. It was real slip-up, he wasn't trying to be funny, for a change. Obviously it was supposed to be Utah, but we had been in "the state of U-haul" for so long it was hilarious. We still laugh about it.

Recently he thought gonna was proper grammar. :glare: I guess I speak more casually than I teach.

Hahahah! Oh my...I had to laugh out loud at that one. Not really AT your 13 year old, but just at the "State of Nirvana." Hehe...I can see the confusion. I spent much of my teenage years in a state of nirvana. LOL

My 5 year old calls his fingers "thingers" because I was always telling him not to say "fuh" in words like bath and math. Now he has turned all "fuh" sounds into "th" sounds. :(

Tell your 13 year old not to feel bad. My ex HUSBAND who was 25 at the time he said this told me that he was moving to the state of New England on his next move. I asked him "where in New England?" and he said "I don't know which city yet." OMG. It was at that moment I realized that "New England States" had been lost upon the poor soul and he honestly thought New England was a state. 25...TWENTY-FIVE. A college graduate with a Masters in Business admin.

Well, my dc's do not know how to spell and I have my masters in English education. My dd is dyslexic so I totally understand her but my ds has great difficulty with spelling. He is in college now and is great with spellcheck but I remember when they were younger a friend who doesn't homeschool asked if they were going to compete in the spelling bee because she just thought all homeschoolers were good at spelling. I burst out laughing.

My 7 year old ds knew this one but for some reason he was having a really tough time with it ROFL...

In front of my hubby's anti homeschooling family, my son couldn't come up with the answer to this question.. "What do 3 quarters equal?" he was stumped. When my dh told me that I felt so ashamed Noah couldn't answer that question. He knew it it he saw the actual problem on paper... but not in real life. It was odd, and totally embarrassing.

I wouldn't have felt bad. It wasn't a clear question. Three quarters equals 3/4. What's the question in that? Or perhaps they were looking for 6/8ths? 9/12ths? Maybe he could have answered with a question: "Three quarters of what?" Or perhaps they were asking about the money kind of quarters?

Anti-homeschooling people really should learn to ask answerable questions with a clearly defined answer.

My 14 year old went to get her driver's permit and didn't know how to spell her middle name. Even worse, dh was with her and he didn't know either.

Oops.

Now this makes me feel better. :D I think it almost reaches state of nirvana status. Too funny that your dh didn't know either! Our middle names are pretty easy to spell but dh has a hard time remembering birthdays.

That is too funny! Poor girl.

My 8 year olds in my co-op art class kept saying the "Sixteen Chapel". They are a little young, so maybe it's just funny and not a real failure yet.:D

I think you can still classify that one as cute and funny. I just remembered that it took my ds until he was 8 to be able to tie his shoes...that's another notch on my "homeschool failure" belt. But it was amazing how fast he learned when he was offered money for it!

I wouldn't have felt bad. It wasn't a clear question. Three quarters equals 3/4. What's the question in that? Or perhaps they were looking for 6/8ths? 9/12ths? Maybe he could have answered with a question: "Three quarters of what?" Or perhaps they were asking about the money kind of quarters?

Anti-homeschooling people really should learn to ask answerable questions with a clearly defined answer.

That was my first thought too... 3 quarters = 3/4 or were they looking for .75 or 75 cents, 3 of 4? :confused: poor kid.

Edited by Jumping In Puddles

My homeschooled daughter IS a good speller, but at her first regional spelling bee, she did not know the name of our homeschool group. All the other children knew what to say when it was their turn introduce themselves by stating their name and school.

All she said was, "My name is _______, and I homeschool."

Well, uh, that was obvious.

At another bee she had to go to the bathroom right before it started. She could not find her way back to the stage. They had to start late because of her. Later she said, "That school is big! How do the public school students EVER find their way around?"

She ended up going to the National Bee twice.

GardenMom

Oh, I can top this one.

My 11 yr old (at the time) daughter was talking to her friend. The friend said "I have all these Kansas quarters." and my daughter said "Can you use those in the United States?"

Yes.

Really.

I almost had an accident...I was driving them to ballet at the time. We've never let her forget this one.

Another one (same daughter) is when I told her to find China. I think she was 10. She went over to the US map and was looking at Canada. Her brother still says "Well at least I know China isn't above the United States!" whenever they get into one of thsoe "who's smarter" arguments.

Last week my dd, age 10, and I were going over some map skills. Every time I pointed to the equator, she could not remember the name. We went over it several times as a review. The next day we went through map skills again and when I pointed to the equator she shouted out, "I know this one. It's the equation!" LOL!

Edited by Ferdie

Well, don't feel too bad. I was a public schooled kid all the way, and in a 9th grade biology class, I narrowly missed getting 100% on a (multiple choice!!!) test because I decided that we humans had to remember to breathe. It took me awhile to figure out why I didn't get the 100% either, when we got the papers back :rolleyes: All teenagers have their moments :lol:

Don't feel too badly--I had a 12-year-old student in Christian school last year who couldn't tell me how many quarters were in a dollar! I was trying to show him that he didn't need a calculator to divide 100 by 25, but evidently he did!

Almost as good as my nealry 9 year old not being able to tell his Italian teacher what month he was born in (and yet the three year old knows his exact birthday).

Can someone console me with a similar story? Or do I get the worst homeschooler award for having a 13 year old who thinks there's a State of Nirvana?

my son broke his arm and my husband took him to the hospital. my son couldn't remember his date of birth, neither could my husband. the nurse had to ring me to find out .:D

Too funny!

We had a pattern in math this fall that used letters- like AB, ZY, CD, etc. DD was really stumped, so I told her write out the alphabet and then look at it to figure it out. My 7 year old did not know the alphabet- like, the order of letters!! She can *read*, but apparently never learned the abc song or forgot it, because she didn't know past a,b,c,d. Not one of my prouder moments, LOL. The good news is, it took about a minute to learn the song, but...geesh.

Oh, I can top this one.

My 11 yr old (at the time) daughter was talking to her friend. The friend said "I have all these Kansas quarters." and my daughter said "Can you use those in the United States?"

Yes.

Really.

I almost had an accident...I was driving them to ballet at the time. We've never let her forget this one.

Another one (same daughter) is when I told her to find China. I think she was 10. She went over to the US map and was looking at Canada. Her brother still says "Well at least I know China isn't above the United States!" whenever they get into one of thsoe "who's smarter" arguments.

:lol::lol::lol:

This reminded me of my first year homeschooling...and I was showing my children a globe. I wanted to aquaint them with the continents, hemispheres and oceans...

Well...my 4th grade dd chiles in..."Where is Elvedal??" (a small creek that they used to play in. I slammed my planbook shut...put the globe away...sent them outside to play and cried.

Whever we look at a map now...especially when traveling, our joke is always "Where's Elvedal???"

They did eventually learn geography...oh, but I was so discouraged...

Faithe