Menu

What is your planned middle school math progression/programs?

JaniceO

I thought I had this figured out, but after reading comments, I'm not sure anymore. I don't want to mess my kids up in math because I feel math is extremely important. I have no clue if any of them want to go on to math/science intensive fields when they get to college (that's still a LONG ways off) so I feel it's better to go with the assumption that they will, until they get to high school and can decide for themselves.

I have no clue what my goals should be. Should they do Algebra I in 8th grade? I did Algebra I in 9th grade (and I'm NOT mathy at all) and my very mathy DH did Algebra I in 8th grade. My kids will be going to public school for high school, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

What are you planning to do for middle school math? Or if you have a high schooler, what did they do?

In fifth and sixth grade we will finish Singapore through 6B and supplement with Dolciani Modern School Mathematics, Structure and Method (kind of a pre-algebra program.) (I was also tempted by Russian Math 6 to supplement Singapore.) If we're far enough along and I feel the maturity is there, we'll start algebra in seventh. But eighth would be fine, too. And finishing Algebra I in ninth grade would be acceptable. I think my son is fairly strong in math, and I'd like to keep him on track for starting Calculus in high school. But If he just finishes pre-calc with a good foundation, I'll be happy.

I've been researching what professors have to say about their entering college students. I'm reading that they're disappointed with their facility with fractions and decimals. I've come to believe that it is best to make sure that the pre-algebra stuff is solid before moving on.

7th grade - Saxon 8/7 with Pre-Algebra

8th grade - Saxon Algebra 1

9th grade - Geometry - probably Saxon, maybe Holt

10th grade - Saxon Algebra 2

11th grade - Trig, Calculus or Physics

12th grade - Trig, Calculus or Physics

My neighbor is a high school math teacher (now homeschooling her toddlers and providing math classes to homeschool mid & high students) so I have the advantage of using her knowledge for the best homeschool programs and have a tutor right down the road. I'm so glad!

Algebra in 8th is our minumum here. It is the standard for college prep in our area. We are doing it sooner than that, but that would be my limit.

Same here. If I were to send a child to a traditional high school, they would be "behind" other college-bound students if they had not completed Algebra 1 by 8th grade.

Here's the plan for my dd10

5th grade Life of Fred Decimals and Percents, finish by end of year

6th grade Dolciani Structure and Use and Dolciani Structure and Method

These Dolciani books are pre-algebra and review a lot of Fred and she needs the review

7th or 8th grade Dolciani Algebra

When she begins Algebra really depends on when she can handle the work. I try to keep pushing. My daughter has great tendencies toward doing the least amount of work required. So I try to keep her challenged.

Aiming for Algebra in 8th is a good idea. Many public school systems do this now. However, don't be afraid to back off if your kid is floundering. It's better to understand Algebra in 9th than to struggle and not understand Algebra in 8th, then Geometry in 9th, etc. It's absolutely possible to start Algebra in 9th and still major in a math/science field, since 4 years of high school math should prepare one to take calculus as a freshman at university. If acceleration is still desired, this could be accomplished later through doubling up courses/taking summer courses.

Ways to back off could include: redoing Pre-Algebra in 8th grade, if child struggled in 7th Pre-Algebra. Doing half of Algebra I in 8th and half in 9th (schools sometimes call this Alg IA and IB). Repeating Algebra in 9th if child struggled.

Summary: Plan, but don't be afraid to modify the plan to best suit you and your child.

I am hoping to do Jacob's Algebra because it has Geometry built in. I am very interested in this thread.

I took Pre-Algebra in 7th and Algebra in 8th grade and then had to wait a whole year (in PS) before I could take any more math. They wanted me to walk over to the High School (10-12) from the middle school (7-9) for Geometry. I was an unusual case then (graduated in 1994) They are making kids learn things younger and younger and pushing them more and more aren't they?

In the DFW area, Algebra I is standard for 8th grade for college-prep students. However, you can start them in the 9th grade if you are going to follow a less rigorous high school program. For our children, they will start in the 8th grade. They will be attending private school for high school. For the schools that I'm interested in, the children are usually doing math one level ahead than the public school system. With that in mind, I'm going to start working with my oldest more aggressively in math so he can be ready for Pre-Algebra in 7th grade, Algebra I in 8th, Geometry in 9th grade, Algebra II in 10th, Pre-Calculus in 11th, and AP Calculus or AP Statistics in 12th grade

This is my plan so far.

5th: we are using Singapore with LOF fractions then LOF decimals percents

6th and probably 7th: LOF beginning algebra mixed with old Dolciani Modern School mathematics (pre-algebra) (I have no clue what this might look like or if it will work)

8th: Dolciani Structure and Method book 1 (Algebra)

9th: Geometry

10th: Algebra II

11th: Pre-calculus?

12th: Calculus?

I'd like to continue with the LOF sequence as a supplement &/or refresher throughout.

Well, we do Algebra 1 in 9th grade. This seems to be pretty standard in my area as it was 20 years ago when I was in school. I have no plans to do Algebra 1 earlier than 9th grade with any other kids either.

I have noticed in my experience as a classroom teacher that the proper math sequence changes about every 10 years. About 15 years ago it was Course 1, Course 2, and Course 3. I believe this was done to integrate geometry into the curriculum at each level. Now it is back to the more traditional Algebra 1, Geometry, Alegbra 2, etc.

Calculus was considered an AP class 20 years ago. Now it is more the expected 12 grade math class. I took precalculus. I couldn't tell you a thing about it.

Jennie

I took Pre-Algebra in 7th and Algebra in 8th grade and then had to wait a whole year (in PS) before I could take any more math. They wanted me to walk over to the High School (10-12) from the middle school (7-9) for Geometry. I was an unusual case then (graduated in 1994) They are making kids learn things younger and younger and pushing them more and more aren't they?

I didn't get pre-algebra, but I also did Algebra in 8th. My mother had to drive me twenty minutes to the high school every day to accomplish this. Why I got to do it, and not some of the other kids, I will never grasp. (And I still had to do 8th grade math on top of it! Ack!)

Then, they tried to enroll me in Algebra all over again in 9th. I camped out in the counselor's office for three days till they sorted it out. No way was I going to do that ALL OVER AGAIN!

Oh, and they ran out of math after Trig, so I had a year to kill at the end. They wanted us to drive forty minutes away (and back again) to take Calculus at another high school. What a waste of a school morning. My mom wouldn't let me. (And I don't blame her.)

I have no problem with kids who are ready doing algebra early. But I don't think all kids are really ready for it. At least with homeschooling, though, the logistics are a lot easier!

So, I was thinking of doing this for the middle school years. Does this plan sound ok? Is it rigorous enough?

6th Grade: TT7 with LoF Fractions

7th Grade: TT PreAlgebra with LoF Decimals and Percents

8th Grade: Algebra I (not sure on what program yet)

Like I said, I really don't want to shortchange my kids. It would appear, from what all of you are saying, that math has changed a lot from when I went to school. The college prep path when I was in school consisted of:

9th: Algebra I

10th: Geometry

11th: Algebra II

12th: Some other math course

This is what we have done so far and need to finish..

6th NEM1

7th Forester's Algebra (currently working through and really liking it)

8th Jacob's Geometry (though I'm waffling after reading some unfavorable reviews....:confused:)

We are a little ahead because we school year-round. Mac is an average student, not a math wiz.

I was in the first class when our school system made the move to 8th grade Algebra. We had to do the 8th grade math book to earn the right to do the Algebra book in the same year. We were a hearty group (we had been in honors classes together for years,) and we did it with relish. The class behind us had a changed sequence to prepare them to move into algebra in 8th without the 8th grade book, so we were the only class to do it. By the time we got to our senior year, they had come up with a calculus class for us. Our school was considered "ahead of its time" for this (they also implemented dual enrollment during my junior year, which was unheard of in our rural area.)

Now 8th is standard around here for college prep, and the accelerated sequence is algebra in 7th. With dual enrollment options, the students can end up in college calculus during high school.

my oldest (went to ps for 6th and 7th grades):

5th - Singapore 6A/6B

6th - prealgebra at ps

7th - "algebra" at ps, but was really "how to use a graphing calculator"

8th - Jacobs Algebra at home, since she hadn't learned it at ps the previous year

9th - Jacobs Geometry

10th - Kinetic Books Algebra II

11th - probably use Foerster's for precalc

my middle

5th - Singapore 5A/5B

6th - Singapore 6A/6B and one month aleks pre-algebra

7th - Math Smart Junior and chapters 1-8 in both Jacobs Algebra and Kinetic Books Algebra

8th - finishing Kinetic Books Algebra and will start Jacobs Geometry

9th - finish Jacobs Geometry and start Kinetic Books Algebra II

10th - finish Kinetic Books Algebra II and probably use Foerster's for precalc

youngest

5th - Singapore 4B/5A

6th - Singapore 5B/6A

7th - Singapore 6B, Math Smart Junior, probably also aleks pre-algebra for one trial month

8th - Kinetic Books pre-algebra (that's their next development project)

9th - Kinetic books algebra I

10th - Jacobs Geometry

11th - Kinetic Books Algebra II

12th - probably Foerster for precalc

My fifth grader is currently in MUS Epsilon. Next year we'll do Zeta, then in 7th grade I'm planning to switch to Chalk Dust pre-algebra, then CD Algebra I in 8th grade. At this point that is as far as I am willing to plan! Thinking about high school makes me terrified.

I agree with other posters; it depends on your student. Better that they understand the math than to try to rush ahead or worse yet, come to hate math.

Amy in Colorado

My son is 10-turning-11 this year, which I guess would make him 5th grade, but I'm considering him middle school. He finished our state's middle school math sequence through Florida Virtual School last year. He's now doing Algebra 1 using the University of California College Prep open access course.

From here, we're planning:

2009-2010: Geometry, Florida Virtual School

2010-2011: Algebra II, Possibly FLVS, although I'm not thrilled with their class

2011-2012: Precalculus, Probably FLVS

2012-2013: AP Calc, Probably FLVS

I should mention that my son is aiming at an engineering degree from a selective college. So, we're putting a premium on math and planning to have him do as much as possible with a recognized outside program so that he will have verifiable grades.

Also, I looked up our county's recommended math sequence. Basically, there are three suggested tracks. Students who begin with the standard math class in 6th grade will be ready to begin a two-year algebra sequence for 9th and 10th. Those who take the advanced math classes in 6th and 7th grade do pre-algebra in 8th and start the regular one-year algebra in 9th. Those who take the advanced version in 6th and do really well jump to the advanced version of the 8th grade class in 7th grade and then do honors algebra in 8th.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

It's the norm to do Algebra I in 9th in my area. We are required to have four years of math including one year of advanced math such as pre-calculus, calculus or trig. Our plans are to use Math U See all the way since we have been pleased with it.

Pre-Algebra 8th

Algebra I 9th

Geometry 10th

Algebra II 11th

Pre-Calculus (calculus + trig) and Stewardship (consumer math) 12th

Edited by sweetbaby
TYPO

Just a consideration....but Algebra is considered a high school course. You may want to see what, if any, hoops must be jumped through if your dc take Algebra in 8th.

When *I* went back to public school, I had to take a test and make a 90% on it. A LOT of kids would have trouble making a 90% on a cumulative test. That pretty much means that you can't make any silly errors and better completely know the work. Most kids that take the class at school don't need to pass (with a 90%!) a test like that nor could they.

Anyway, so check with the school about that. There is no shame in doing Algebra in 9th. It's pretty normal in most places.

Just a consideration....but Algebra is considered a high school course. You may want to see what, if any, hoops must be jumped through if your dc take Algebra in 8th.

When *I* went back to public school, I had to take a test and make a 90% on it. A LOT of kids would have trouble making a 90% on a cumulative test. That pretty much means that you can't make any silly errors and better completely know the work. Most kids that take the class at school don't need to pass (with a 90%!) a test like that nor could they.

Anyway, so check with the school about that. There is no shame in doing Algebra in 9th. It's pretty normal in most places.

I wouldn't just be checking with your local public school. You need to check with the colleges your child is interested in. Just because alot of kids in your area take Algebra in the 9th, doesn't mean that's the norm for those going to the colleges your child is interested in. Many of the colleges in our area do not recognize Algebra I as a high school math credit. If they say they want a student to have 4 years of high school math - they mean after Algebra 1. It's not just the private schools. Our state schools expect their students to take Algebra I in the 8th grade. They are looking for 4 years of high school math.

Heather

Check with the college my child is interested in???? He's in 5th grade. He has no clue what he wants to be when he grows up, much less which colleges he wants to go to.

I was responding to the poster who said there was no shame in doing Algebra I in high school because that's the way it is in her area. It's really more complicated than that. I think you really need to plan to do Algebra 1 in 8th because you don't know what he wants to do and where he wants to go. It's getting more and more widespread that colleges only count math credits beyond Algebra I so don't assume he'll go to one that is ok with Algebra 1 in high school.

Sorry I was unclear. Of course he doesn't know what he wants to be. That's exactly why you want to plan to cover all bases.

Heather

• 3 months later...
Wow, you guys must all be in stellar school systems. In my local school system many kids start high school in general math or Algebra 1. My ds, being 12 in 6th grade and using Saxon 6/5 (5th grade level) is beyond most public schoolers in our school system!

Hm... Dh took Algebra 1 in 8th at a public school in Abq quite some years ago. Yes, he was a bright student, but it wasn't a remotely unusual track.

My current thoughts (and they're still fluid :001_smile:)

5th (current): Singapore 5a/b

Summer: LOF Decimals/Percents and maybe Hands-on Equations

6th: Singapore 6a/b w/ CWP & Challenge Math

Summer: LOF Pre-Algebra w/ Biology (gosh I hope it's really done by then!)

7th: Singapore Discovering Mathematics 1a/b

Summer: ? If the 2nd LOF Pre-Algebra is done, maybe that, or maybe just start in on Algebra

6a/b is thin, and my kids got through 5a/b quickly too, so this might end up being condensed, but after that I'm thinking:

Algebra (Foersters w/ Math w/o Borders for dd1, LOF for dd2)

Minimum is to finish that by 8th. If we finish Algebra early, because of possible condensing mentioned above, I'd like to go deeper with Algebra with some AOPS Algebra to finish up 8th. Then:

9th: Geometry

And from there I'm going to see where we go - not all my dds are equally mathy, and I fully anticipate even the twins will be in different programs, even if they're taking the same subject.

Pushing students to do Algebra I in 7th grade is not even prudent in my mind. If a student is ready, that is great. But some students do not have the maturity for algebraic concepts that early.

My goal with math is mastery of the concepts not to be able to check off the box that the course has been completed. So my dc will start algebra when they are ready, not when the public school system says it should be.

Pushing students to do Algebra I in 7th grade is not even prudent in my mind. If a student is ready, that is great. But some students do not have the maturity for algebraic concepts that early.

My goal with math is mastery of the concepts not to be able to check off the box that the course has been completed. So my dc will start algebra when they are ready, not when the public school system says it should be.

Very well said. I am a bit confused about the idea that all children, or even many, will be even remotely ready for schedules such as have been suggested here.

I have learned that each of my children is different and mastery of skills comes at different rates no matter how thorough or tailored the instruction.

These schedules may leave casual lurkers to this forum scared to death!:confused:

I have chosen to use MUS with the intent that each child really understand and know concepts. Math and science can be expanded upon when understanding is there, but to try without a true foundation is setting the scene for disaster. It is very easy to supplement instruction that is working.

I love LOF too and plan to use his books also depending upon how each child responds, but again, it will be at a pace of true understanding. I doubt it will be in 7th grade for mine or other "average" children.

I'm thinking this schedule -

Daughter:

she's used CLE in 4th-5th

6th grade CLE 6

7th grade CLE 7 (includes enough pre-algebra)

8th grade Chalkdust Algebra

9th grade Chalkdust Geometry

10th grade Chalkdust Algebra 2

11th grade Chalkdust Pre-Calculus

12th grade Chalkdust Calculus

Son:

he will have used CLE math in k-5 a year ahead...

6th grade CLE 7

7th grade Chalkdust Algebra

8th grade Chalkdust Geometry

9th grade Chalkdust Algebra 2

10th grade Chalkdust Pre-Calculus

11th grade Chalkdust Calculus

12th not sure - maybe AP statistics

Any input? I'm thinking from the website that Chalkdust Pre-Calculus covers Trig....

Well, the "plan" is changing yearly, at this point, because DD was way ahead, but then algebra was just too abstract. Pre-algebra, she's ok on. But that "leap", well, it didn't happen last year. So we took a year and did all the MUS's from G-Z. And over the summer she will do CD Basic Math (Math 6?) for more review(maybe), and then CD pre-algebra *or* Algebra after that. But, I just don't know where she will be nor can really push a kid who is just not developmentally ready for algebraic thinking, IMO.

SO, the tentative plan is:

6th- CD Basic and/or pre-algebra (hopefully "and", not or, LOL, I need a good tutor/coop/etc for Algebra and want that to wait until we are back in the US!)

7th- finish CD pre-algebra, start CD Algebra, maybe also MUS Algebra added in there too because we really liked the different way of looking at math

8th- finish Algebra I, start Algebra 2, or start geometry*

9th- geometry or Algebra 2*

10th- trig/pre-calc/ish*

11th- Calculus*

12th- statistics/physics/who really knows*

* denotes classes I am hopefully going to have a tutor/class option for, otherwise probably use CD or even TT or something I don't have to totally teach. SO I don't have a program planned, because the "plan" is to have someone else teach these!!

Also possible and a-ok, in my book:

6th- CD Basic Math

7th- CD Pre-algebra

8th & 9th- Algebra 1

10th- geometry

11th- Algebra 2

12th- pre-calc/trig

This is what we have done

DS1:

7th-AO LifeOac Math 7

8th-AO LifePac Math 8

9th-VT Algebra (basically Alg. 1)

10th-VT Algebra (basically Alg. 2)

11th-Geometry

12th-Pre-Calc

DS2:

5th-AO LifePac Math

6th-AO LifePac Math

7th-Saxon Algebra 1/2

8th-TT Algebra 1 and LoF Beginning Algebra

9th-Finish LoF Beginning Algebra and Lof Advanced Algebra

10th-LoF Geometry (next year)

11th-Will Stick with LoF if he wants to and do LoF Trig.

12th-If he STILL like LoF he'll do the Calculus

DD:

2nd-AO LifePac Math

3rd-AO LifePac Math

4th-Saxon 76

5th-TT Pre-Algebra

6th-LoF Fractions, and LoF Decimals & Percents Books, Singapore & R&S Supplements

7th-LoF Beginning Algebra, CLE Math 8 (next year)

8th-Finish LoF B.A. and CLE 8? Start LoF Advanced Algebra?

Past that I don't know....

Edited by Brindee

How do you take Algebra 1 in 8th grade and count that on a high school transcript?

It is mandatory here to have Algebra 1, Geometry, and Algebra 2 to graduate.??

That isn't a big deal here. It is assumed that you have Algebra 1 if you have Geometry and Algebra 2. If the student takes Algebra 1 in 8th, then it means that another more advanced class is required in high school.

Which state is requiring that sequence already? I know some (including NC) are talking about requiring it for everyone, but I didn't know any had implemented it yet. I am interested to see how the graduation rates change.

Our plan:

5th--Singapore 5a/b

6th--6a/b

7th--NEM 1

8th--NEM 2

9th--NEM 3?

10th--NEM 4?

That is the order of what we are using. We may take longer, we may not. My younger dd will probably only make it through 3 by 12th grade year but I think it is a good plan to stick with what works well for my dc.:001_smile: