Menu

Nature Study, why isn't everyone doing this???

Trivium Academy

In two days, we've learned more than spending 10 weeks studying plants last year in first grade.

1. We walked around our yard for about 20 minutes yesterday.

2. I asked my dd7 what two things she saw that was interesting.

3. I asked her for two things she'd like to learn more about.

4. I found the answers to her questions and we've both learned a lot.

http://triviumacademy.blogspot.com/2008/02/green-hour-assignment-1.html

She's excited, my ds3 is excited and their neighbor friend that came along with us is excited. 20 minutes walking around the yard with 3 kids and they want to learn!

Total time? 40 minutes, 20 minutes for the walk and another 20 looking for answers to her questions.

Well......ummm.....hmmmmm.........I really don't like to use these words........ummmmm.......but I don't know how to say this any other way.........I told you so!!! :p

Absolutely just teasing Jessica. :) Really, natural interaction and teaching always produces the best result. I'm thrilled you guys had a great day!!!!

Well, if we walked around our yard for 20 minutes, we would be very dizzy. We live in a neighborhood that is less than 10 years old. The few trees that were planted aren't that big. We have one tree, a shed, and a play-yard out back and 2 trees with a little landscaping out front; it doesn't seem like there's enough there fore a nature study. It's one of the disadvantages of living in suburban neighborhood. Your pictures look wonderful though; I think if we had that out our door, I would be more inclined for a nature study too.

Suburbs:

Nature in the Neighborhood (Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students K-12 (Awards)) by Gordon Morrison

Linnea's Almanac (Linnea Books) by Cristina Bjork

The story of an urban girl exploring nature.

Kids Container Gardening : Year-Round Projects for Inside and Out

by Cindy Krezel

obtained from http://www.squidoo.com/cmnaturestudy

Teaching Nature in Cities and Towns: Urban Outdoor Biology and Ecology by Sonia Wolff Vogl and Robert L. Vogl , check your library

Take a City Nature Walk (Take a Walk series) by Jane Kirkland

A Walk in the City (Nature Detectives) by Jo Waters

Urban Nature Week by CNI

http://www.childrensnatureinstitute.org/unw/whatisunw/

Most kids nature activities books are geared toward backyard activities. I know I saw a book titled "Urban Nature ______" and it had a child on the cover kneeling, now I can't find it. Urgh.

and if you google "winter nature journal" you'll get more than enough ideas for the winter months.

• Like 1

Because in my case, it would take me 3 days to find the answers to the those questions. It would involve trips to two garden stores and a natural history museum. And I would not be sure that the answers were correct.

Too much time for too little result.

That's why I didn't do Charlotte Mason. I just don't know that stuff to begin with.

It's funny, too. One of my favorite things is to get out into wild nature. I just don't know the names of things, nor can I draw.

Why not?

I guess my curious boys, who spend alot of time outdoors, picking up every single creepy crawly, stick, rock and what have you, need no organized 'nature study' :D

I guess in some way you could call it nature study. If they ask, I teach, if I don't know, I look it up. If I see something interesting and they don't notice, I point it out, etc. I just call it playing outside! lol ;)

Sounds like your having fun! :D

I could have said, told you so, but I'm pretty sure I didn't. :) We live on a farm so the interaction with Nature is a given (at least it is for us). I can't say we do "formal Nature Study," but since he's been old enough to hold a crayon, ds has had sketch books and treasure boxes. He's taught himself with very little intervention from me, other than to help him look up things and read it to him when he was very small. Now that he's a strong reader, he looks up things on his own and spends a fair amount of time with his collections and sketch books.

I think one of the things that detracts people from doing Nature Study is the formalization of it. People feel like they have to make a "lesson" of everything they encounter. Nature is far more unpredictable than that. I've found that, at least on this subject, letting him just "go with the flow" of it has been far more productive than any lessons I could have ever created.

The One Small Square books (mentioned above) are great for little ones. Field guides, IMO, are even better, especially for older kids. It's the bitterest, coldest winter we've ever had, but still my ds has plenty to do with Nature. He's been trying to count birds from the windows, sketching them, looking them up in guides. He's also measuring the feed they're eating when it's coldest, more moderate, etc. When the waxwings came through he tracked them across the fields by the bright orange poops they left behind after eating all the mountain ash berries. Somewhere, there is a map tracing them across the whole farm.

Keep going. Your kids will amaze you with the things they discover. :D

Yeah, I'm with Beth...boring suburban yard. Yesterday, during our outside time (we do go out, just no nature study), I let them climb over the 6' block wall fence onto the path beside our house. Dh was not thrilled with that. He wouldn't let them play in that cool creek behind your house either, I'm sure.

In my homeschool-heart we're doing nature study...just got to get it into motion. :)

What? If I'm doing nature study it has to be all "ORGANIZED"? Huh, huh? :D

Barb said take a walk. We took a walk.

She said ask the kids what they think is interesting. I did.

She said ask what they want to learn more about. I did.

Of course my dd7 has to find something that I do have to look up! One book on the shelf, Eyewitness Tree and the internet provided the answers.

We haven't even started barely. My idea of organized nature study is having an idea of what to do before you go outside. What happened here was not organized at all. There was no field guides, no sunscreen, no bug spray, not even a book about poisonous/dangerous things to avoid. Me, dd7, ds3, neighbor kid and our dog...plus the camera.

Pah-chaw, like I would organize something! :rolleyes:

Yea!! I'm so excited for you and your kids!

I think those with suburban yards just need to look closer. Almost everyone has plants of some kind in their yard, and even dirt can be dug and brought inside to look for different rock pieces, little bugs (eewww), and types of soil.

There's TONS to do!

And, clouds in the sky, stars, snowflakes (how long does it take for a quart of snow to melt? Is it clean, or, what does the water look like when you pour it thru a coffee filter?), etc.

Nature isn't just woods, streams and animals, although that's what most of us think of first.

Love what you are doing!

Very inspiring.

And Hi Chris! Speaking of nature studies we missed you on the walk last week.

Chris was kind enough to invite me along on a monthly nature walk at a local park after I contacted her about buying some curriculum. It's been great for us. It's something I would intend to do more of, but it has been helpful to have a set time and place. Meeting other people has been a motivator for me to pack up the kids and get out there.

Hi Alice! Hey, you're a Worker Bee! We'll see you next month for sure.

Alice is referring to a "great idea" a good friend has--to do a monthly walk in the same park and notice the changes. We are blessed to live near a wetlands park with a great boardwalk. It really is different every month--and has beavers, egrets, geese, turtles, nests, cattails, etc., all in various states of growth.

Parks are great places to visit, esp. if you are not fortunate to live on "interesting property." (But I still think there is more than meets in eye, even in the not so pretty places! lol)

Oh, but we do!

In fact, it's the only sort of science we do until junior high.

Wonderful stuff, isn't it?:D

These days my 9 year old is creating a field guide of neighborhood birds. His sketchpad is a near-constant companion, and he has been checking out all of the birding magazines he can find from the library.

The sun has been out this week, so walks to the three near-by parks are much more pleasant.;)

We are going to take part in this. It slipped my mind (a lot is going on at our homestead) over the past couple days. But we will get this done in the next day or two. Hopefully before challenge #2 comes along. ;)

This is something I have wanted to do for YEARS. Can't really put a finger on why we haven't done it yet, but I chock it up to I just didn't have the drive to get going on it. Time would go by and I would think... Oh ya... I wanted to do that.

I love how Barb has set this up. I like the accountability, the idea's, and the support.

Jessica, I am looking forward to seeing what you all do in the coming weeks, as well as any one else that takes part in this challenge. :)

Thanks again for posting about this. :D

~Tina

but when I looked at CM we lived in the city against a highway and the only thing you saw on the ground were ummmm, well, not nature kinda things you know? When the third murder happened on our street we decided nature wasn't for us and went camping once a year instead.

I am glad you are enjoying your change of gears. When we had nice weather a few weeks ago the kids and I took evening nature walks and then morning nature walks to compare what we could see, hear and smell. they kids loved it! And we will do it again when it's warmer. I love the outdoors but it's got to be warmer.

Well I wouldn't say we aren't doing it but I can tell you why it isn't all we do. Primarily, because regardless of what all the Charlotte Mason-type lists imply, there is alot more to science than what you see wandering around your backyard. I am pretty casual about science as far as curriculum goes in the elementary years but we learn more than 'nature' stuff. The kids love to make things bubble and wonder what makes things move etc.

So I guess what I'm saying is when people say they do 'Nature Study' for science, I usually assume they are following the recommendations of those philosophies that focus elementary science on the plant and animal world. So I would say that no - we don't do Nature Studies.

Heather

We totally started this a couple of months ago. I had planned on trying it in the summer, but when we finished our science curriculum mid-year we started early.

I can not believe we didn't start earlier! My kiddos have learned so much just in our back yard. We plan on getting them nice sketch books and pencils just for this. Next year they will spend an hour in our backyard every day and (hopefully) an afternoon a week away from home. We are fortunate enough to have a nature center, parks, etc. very close by so we will use these weekly.

Days that are brutally cold we will research on the computer or look up things in nature books. I can't believe something so simple for me is so great for them!

When he was little, he might have been interested in wandering around examining things outside. He's 11.5 now, and "nature study" is definitely NOT on his list of things he wants to do!

I've tried, believe me. I think nature study might be one of those things that appeals most to girls, and little boys.

MichelleT

Having a versatile microscope is nice, but absolutely not necessary. If your kids really get into it, Jessica, you could think about getting one for them so they can get an up-close view of a drop of pond water, or a bit of dirt or mud or bits of pollen... anything.

We have this one. I like that it uploads to the computer. It makes viewing easier for people like me, who can't see in a microscope very well because of my glasses. Unfortunately, my ds inherited my cr*ppy eyesight. :( This thing helps though. Plus ds likes making movies out of the image captures.

Thanks for posting this. :) I am praying about going to a more Charlotte Mason-type of approach. Nature study sounds like a good way to start to work it in to our schedule. We live in FL in a rural area, so we really have no excuses for not getting out there and studying Creation.

We have done nature walks in the past, and dd has done some sketches, but I never kept up with it.:(

My dd has the Keepers At Home handbook, and there is a section on preserving flowers. Maybe I can talk dh into making a flower press for us.

Rita

1. I tried to incorporate drawing as CM suggests. It was a boring flop. When I take my dc outside they want to play, not draw.

2. Kids that are too young- I think with kids under six, you're better off just letting them explore on their own, and not trying to force any nature study.

3. Strange animal and plant life. The Handbook of Nature Study doesn't work in my neck of the woods. Even the Florida field guides don't work. I live in a gorgeous, 400 acre beautifully manicured development with a HUGE shimmering lake. Other than the birds (which are easily identified) I seem to have a complete lack of ability to identify trees, plants, shrubs, or just about anything else. THis is so frustrating. Finally I realized all the plants here are *not* indigenous to Florida. THe Florida field guides cover only indigenous plants.

4. While I don't try to do Nature study anymore, my kids learn a lot. I try to learn all the birds and we try to identify those. We had a squirrel feeder, and are getting a bird feeder. We grow our own flowers, and now we even have beans (yes dc planted beans right in the front flower garden and they grew), and we can identify several trees.

5. I like textbook learning because when I try to do the CM natural thing, I can never relax. I never know how much "nature study" and how much play my kids should be getting.

With that said, we haven't done formal textbooks yet either and won't until this coming fall. We read great books about science and watch Bill Nye and pick up dollar store science experiment books.

So that's my long winded version. It's just a big frustration for me and I finally just gave up and decided to enjoy our time outdoors in the same way that my mom did with me. Plant things and tend the garden when possible, and spend lots of time outdoors.

This is a good time of year to study birds. Set up bird feeders just outside a window and be patient. We have bird guides inside as well as binoculars for a really good look. I have downloaded coloring sheets for birds and dd6 is coloring them using the bird guide. We have also listened to bird calls on the internet for the various birds that we have seen.

I think the object for nature study is to give children a life-long love of nature. Since we set up the bird feeders, she is much more interested in the bird study (Apologia Zoo 1) than before. Observing nature draws them in.

We are thinking of starting a nature journal around here. Any advice? With temperatures in the 60's, we are getting spring fever.

Paula

I've accepted Barb's challenge, too, and if I could get blogger to work right now, I'd have pictures on my blog to prove it. We had a great time, and I'm excited to take a field trip over to my dad's property--actual woods--where I roamed and played as a child. Of course, now I might be too chicken to go out too far. :D

I have a Montessori background and think that Charlotte Mason has a lot in common with the Montessori method. As a homeschooler I love being able to take the good, toss the bad and mesh it all together for a program fitted for my dd. Although we are planning to do MWS next year, I am also planning to continue the Nature walks and study, if for no other reason than for us it is a lot of fun.

I didn't know a thing and just went outside with paper and pencil and told dd to draw something. Lol. We drew grass and didn't do it again.

I'm sorry Sandra for your frustration, and I didn't mean to make others feel bad by posting this. I really just wanted to put it OUT there, ya know? For those who want to do it but don't really know how or have doubts.

:) Forgive me?

I have ALWAYS found that when things are going a little haywire with the 'books', the BEST solution is to tell the boys to grab their Nature Notebooks, go outside, and find something to draw and or write about in their notebooks. It never ceases to amaze me how much we gain from a trip into our backyard.

Works like a charm EVERY time!;)

I have been inspired too, here on the site, to look into adding nature journals to our studies. I picked up some bird books at the library and my 9 year old son has been inspired (or maybe obsessed?) with learning about birds. One cool thing he is doing is using tracing paper to trace the birds from various books. Then, he uses color pencils to color them and add his comments at the bottom of the page of details he wants to remember. He does this any chance he can get and I love that he loves it! We also checked out bird calling books from the library that play bird sounds! Our house sounds like spring even if it does not feel like spring!

So I hope also to carve out time to make this a daily adventure of exploring nature studies.

Angie (home4fun)

Jessica, this is very inspiring for me. I started out my hs journey more like this: nature studies, focusing on the "core", and some other changes you are making. However, I'd gotten a bit side-tracked with a more bookish style after feeling as though I wasn't doing enough! With that came a lot more stress for me. Glad to say that recently I've been making some changes to our school as well!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Cheryl

Personally, I'm scared to death of my backyard. There have been more copperheads back there than I care to count. Sometimes we just look out the window at the snakes.

Actually, it's not that bad. But since the trees and land around us have been cleared we have a few snakes a year in various places. And they are copper heads.

Also, I've tried nature study. With 4 kids, 3 boys 8 and under, there was blood shed and tears all over. My two younger kids are a little unruly at this age, and they have to be closely monitored when outside.

So I leave the regular nature study to my dh. He takes them on walks and introduces them to things and does bird watching too. He's an outdoors guy. I'm an indoors kind of country gal. My kids are blessed to have him for a dad because if it weren't for him, they'd miss out on a ton of good dirty fun stuff.

Just last Saturday, he had them outside for about 8-12 hours playing in the dirt and making rivers. I'm more of a sit at the table and get a book or some crayons kind of a mom. But I'm learning to do better.

Kimberly

1. I tried to incorporate drawing as CM suggests. It was a boring flop. When I take my dc outside they want to play, not draw.

2. Kids that are too young- I think with kids under six, you're better off just letting them explore on their own, and not trying to force any nature study.

3. Strange animal and plant life. The Handbook of Nature Study doesn't work in my neck of the woods. Even the Florida field guides don't work. I live in a gorgeous, 400 acre beautifully manicured development with a HUGE shimmering lake. Other than the birds (which are easily identified) I seem to have a complete lack of ability to identify trees, plants, shrubs, or just about anything else. THis is so frustrating. Finally I realized all the plants here are *not* indigenous to Florida. THe Florida field guides cover only indigenous plants.

4. While I don't try to do Nature study anymore, my kids learn a lot. I try to learn all the birds and we try to identify those. We had a squirrel feeder, and are getting a bird feeder. We grow our own flowers, and now we even have beans (yes dc planted beans right in the front flower garden and they grew), and we can identify several trees.

5. I like textbook learning because when I try to do the CM natural thing, I can never relax. I never know how much "nature study" and how much play my kids should be getting.

With that said, we haven't done formal textbooks yet either and won't until this coming fall. We read great books about science and watch Bill Nye and pick up dollar store science experiment books.

So that's my long winded version. It's just a big frustration for me and I finally just gave up and decided to enjoy our time outdoors in the same way that my mom did with me. Plant things and tend the garden when possible, and spend lots of time outdoors.

Sorry-- I have to completely second this one. I just never worked for us either for the reasons Sandra listed and more. It is just way too loose for us.

You're welcome, I'm excited and scared too. I'm trying to shed the public school mentality and adopt a more developmental view but it's hard. I think I need to keep an arsenal of reminders on the fridge or something. I wrote about it a little in my post about Testing a CM schedule after today's lessons (Tuesday). Since we're using Tapestry, I can trust the books they have chosen a little bit more than if I was doing it on my own. They use living books for their primary resources but Ambleside/Mater Amabilis is tempting! I'm still figuring out a nice balance for 1-4 science, there are books I want to read but my comfort lies in what the WTM suggests. I hope I'll get to a comfortable place about it soon!

We are, we are! I find we learn more just piddling around the garden, going for long walks, and just discovering things as we come across them (in other words, we don't go out looking for something in particular). I don't do it in any organized fashion, but educating myself on different kinds of trees, plants, wildlife, etc. has enabled me to answer questions or help identify things 'on the spot', you might say.

I don't count this as 'science'. It's just *fun*. Making a lesson out of it would probably take the fun out of it for us. Well, at least it's not a lesson as far as the kids can tell. ;)

You sound so excited, Jessica! I'm glad for you. And you are going to looove The Handbook of Nature Study. I enjoy looking through that on my own, and I also like reading A Pocketful of Pinecones once in awhile, just for inspiration.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but my kids have enjoyed the Fun with Nature books.

I'm still figuring out a nice balance for 1-4 science, there are books I want to read but my comfort lies in what the WTM suggests. I hope I'll get to a comfortable place about it soon!

Would it help not to think of it as "science" but rather as another subject altogether? I mean, what kid couldn't use more time outside just grooving with Mother Nature? You could count it as ecology, or conservation or even phys. ed. in a way, too.

It's by far been our favorite thing this year. Having four children, the younger two being 2 & 3, nature study is something that we can ALL enjoy. Some days it's so hard to fit lessons in with the older two while the younger two want me to build train tracks with them. When they are physically pulling your pant leg in the direction that they want you to go, you have to go! But they love bug hunting. My youngest, who just turned two, comes running if anyone finds a bug yelling, "where? where's the bug?!"

I keep a nature backback fully stocked with clip boards, pocket microscopes, crayons, colored pencils, nature guides, magnifiying glasses, etc. That really helps with the me not have to organize.

I think that sometimes we are so disconnected from nature, in a way that our grandparents probably weren't. My grandfather could identify most any bird by sight or sound. He could predict the weather based on signs that he saw-- if the cows start to lay down, it's likely that it'll rain. I want to know all of these things. I want to teach them to my children. I'd love to find a good book about things like that. Anyone?

--Dawn

I think that sometimes we are so disconnected from nature, in a way that our grandparents probably weren't. My grandfather could identify most any bird by sight or sound. He could predict the weather based on signs that he saw-- if the cows start to lay down, it's likely that it'll rain. I want to know all of these things. I want to teach them to my children. I'd love to find a good book about things like that. Anyone?

--Dawn

Hi Dawn,

If you are in the UK there is a lovely bird song book with cds. It is quite pricey but we managed to order it from the library. I also bought one for my grandad when he was getting over a knee operation (he is a beekeeper and keen gardener so it was hard for him to be indoors for any amount of time).

Collins Field Guide: Bird Songs and Calls of Britain and Northern Europe (Contains 2 accompanying CDs) by Geoff Sample

Jessica,

You absolutely must look at the articles on this website http://freedom-in-education.co.uk/current_newsletter.htm

You will love them, I promise!

All the best,

Lorna

After a spell of bad weather, my kids need LOTS of time to re-acclimate to being outdoors. Last spring, I tried nature study on our first good day at the park. It flopped. Big. After a few days of getting some time outside just playing and running, they started to notice things themselves. They were much more willing to be pulled from playing to look at a little critter.

My kids are a little small for the drawing, but I point out what I knew. How many legs on the insect? What about the spider? Look at the buds coming out. I wonder what those will turn into (and actually come back to look again.) Have those trees changed (flowers, leaf buds, full leaves, flowers gone, seeds appearing, etc....) It helps to find one good place to go and to keep going back. I use a park that has a decent playground, a small creek, turtles, a pond (probably man-made, but oh-well), a few landscaped trees and flowers, and bathrooms.

I have found that plant nurseries (the real ones, not Wal-mart) have been delighted to help me identify a leaf we have bring in.

Mostly, I just want them to EXPERIENCE nature. If I don't know the name of the tree, we can still observe it. How does the bark feel? Do a bark rubbing or a leaf rubbing. How are these leaves different from that other tree?

'My Family and Other Animals' by Gerald Durrell is a wonderful autobiographical book which inspired me just to encourage and facilitate rather than dictate my children's interaction with nature.