Menu

Melatonin. Do you take it every night?

Do you take melatonin every single night?

Here is what I’ve read:

It takes less not more. Like, some recommendations are .3mg. Some recommendations are 1-3mg. 

It is supposedly for occasional use.

It is used to treat insomnia, to help shift workers, to treat jet lag, and is for older people who have melatonin deficiency. 

So…do you use it all the time? There is a lot of contradictory information out there. 

I am 60. I would like to take 1.25mg or  less per night. Maybe .6mg. Depending on what works. Melatonin is working for me, but I’m still adjusting the dose. 

I don’t read much about long term use, but I am assuming if one is older and needs more melatonin, they (“experts” who recommend it) are assuming that one will be taking it long term. 

In the summer I take one milligram each night for a couple of weeks and then I stop for a few days. If/when I start having trouble sleeping again I start the cycle over. I rarely need it in the winter.

My concern is mostly about the potential to worsen RA symptoms. Numerous studies have shown that melatonin can worsen RA, but a few newer studies have said it might be helpful. As far as I can deduce right now the jury is still very much out. But I need to sleep, so I use it with caution.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5htp is the precursor to melatonin, so it would be interesting to see if taking the 5htp (time release, Natrol) would get you there without the hassle. The studies on 5htp I read seemed to indicate on a percentage of people responded to it long term, which I think is because not everyone has a genetic deficit and needs it. I never used to get tired like a typical person at all but would just be up till all hours. With 5htp, I get tired, a total miracle. I take it twice a day. I don't tolerate melatonin because of my COMT issues, so taking the precursor makes more sense for me. I'm pretty sure when I checked the gene for the 5htp (tph2) I had an issue with it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KrissiK said:

If I take it for too long I get bad dreams. So, I quit for a week or so and then start up again. I alternate with Benadryl.

My mom did this for years, and I did, too. It worked! But then our kids’ allergist cautioned us against it. Benadryl is linked to developing dementia, especially past a certain age. She doesn’t even want us using it for kids. So we now use Benadryl only for allergic emergencies and not sleep. FWIW, my mom is now in memory care, though I’m sure it’s not all because of Benadryl.

If you’ve already heard of that issue and are not worried about it — no worries. But in case it’s new to you, maybe read a bit and see if you’re comfortable with the risk.

I started taking progesterone and that helps tremendously with sleep. Also, I have trazadone on hand (have only taken once!), and I use melatonin if having trouble falling asleep.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dudeling does.  He prefers sustained release/extended release.  If he doesn't have it, he will ask for it.  He's had periods he didn't use it, but it served more as an opportunity for compare/contrast to when he does within his own memory and how different he feels and functions.

He's been taking it since he was six.  The first time we had to threaten him - take it or we'll give it to you in a shot.  This was at his dr's office.  He slept two more hours than usual that night.
He's been asking for it ever since.  Even when he was little - if he couldn't go to sleep, he'd come ask me if I had remembered to give it to him.  He knew the difference.

I take 1 mg extended release every night and have for years.  I know people who have taken larger doses every night for many years without issues.  I guess I don't understand what the concern is.  

• Like 2

Melatonin produces no discernible sleepiness or relaxation for me; I may as well take a placebo.  Benadryl and trazadone and other prescription sleep meds do nothing for me, but trazadone does make me vomit.  Years ago I accepted that some nights I simply would not get adequate sleep, so I get up and start my day after a fruitless hour in bed.  It can be really rough at times, but it does relieve me of the stress about my insomnia.

• Like 2

I also take 5 mg every night before bed. Mainly for insomnia, but I also read at that dose it has antiviral effects and that's a plus as we are Covid cautious. it has helped my sleep for several years, no nightmares, no reduction in effect.

When I don't take melatonin, I miss it. I almost always notice that it's harder for me to fall and/or stay asleep. 

At first I tried taking it at 2 or 3 am when I had insomnia, but that seriously screwed up my sleep cycle. After I switched to bedtime, not the middle of the night, it's been all good. 

• Like 2

My dh's sleep cycles are all mixed up.  That started when he began having migraines.

He was hopeful that Melatonin would help put him on a better sleep schedule, but interestingly, all it does is make his migraine worse or cause a migraine. .

He's taken Melatonin three times with the same reaction each time.

I take 1mg nightly if I’m traveling. I like these. Sometimes I take it for a week or two after I’m finished traveling because I do seem to not sleep as well after I stop taking it. I dread that effect, so I tend to take it for a bit longer than I actually need it. And like @Pawz4me, I usually need it more in the summer—either due to more travel and/or daylight hours past my preferred bedtime. 

• Like 1

Get some trazodone. It’s not addictive. It’s not linked to dementia. Good safety profile. Start with 50mg. 

I’ve kinda learned how to work the system to get the meds I want. It really stinks that so many people suffer unnecessarily with poor sleep. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 2