Menu

Swedish dishcloths, sponges, Scrub Daddies, old-school dishcloths?

MercyA

Which do you prefer? I've used dishcloths my whole life. Recently my stock became low and I started using a dual-sided sponge I had put away. And now I'm reading about Swedish dishcloths and Scrub Daddies/Mommies...

I do like the way I can "feel" sticky spots or food particles through a dishcloth, but the sponge is kind of fun, too. 

What do you use for washing dishes and wiping counters and appliances and why?

I use dishcloths for most things. They're easy to scrunch up and fit in crevices, the hold soap well, and I feel like they cover more surfaces; I think sponges, with their texture, don't cover all the surfaces as well as dishcloths. I do have a sponge or two that I use for wiping out the kitchen or bathroom sink, but I also use the dishcloth (in the kitchen; I see the illogic of not having a cloth of some kind in the bathroom, but apparently I am ok with that, lol) to clean the whole surface more completely. I put out a new dishcloth each moring so it's always fresh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crocheted or knit dishcloths. They are bumpy for scrubbing off moderately stuck crud.

I also like the plastic mesh from produce bags (some kinds) for scrubbing—it’s free and can go in the silverware bin in the dishwasher.

Crocheted nylon scrubbies are great, but they tend to leave my kitchen and get used on the tub. In that vein, Norwex has smaller square part scrubby/part microfiber pads that would probably be awesome for dishes, but alas, they are used in our tub. Maybe they come in multiple colors, and we could color code and buy some for dishes, but they weren’t when we bought them originally.

Nylon scrapers and nylon brushes are also nice. They seem to help with getting stuff off of ceramic cookware that wants to stain easily.

We also have the coiled wire scrubbies for stainless steel pans.

Not a fan of anything sponge-like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A scotch-brite brush with a handle that can go in the dishwasher to be sanitized. The wood ones are aesthetically nicer but not as good at cleaning. If that’s not enough, a plastic scraper, a brillo pad (preferably the dollar tree ones because they’re smaller and feel less wasteful), or a flat blade razor scraper. 

I have a visceral hatred of sponges - they stink from bacteria. And if I must use a dish cloth I use it once, dry it out, and toss in the laundry to avoid the gross sponge smell. 

• Thanks 1

I abandoned sponges, which don't seem to stay clean and usable very long (humid environment), in favor of crocheted cotton dishcloths. These do fine in the washer and dryer and hold up for years. They're just a rectangle of single crochet.

I use a nylon-bristled brush for cast iron, and sometimes a stainless steel scrubber (not the kind with soap embedded).

Edited by 73349
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use bar mop dishcloths, similar to these. Inexpensive, easy to wash (and bleachable) and long lasting. Sponges of any sort give me the heebie jeebies.

ETA: I tried the Swedish dishcloths and didn't like them at all.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Knitted cotton dishcloths made by me or by my best friend. She makes them in colorful yarn. I make them boring white so I can put them in the bleach/hydrogen peroxide load. This is the brand of yarn we use; it is more absorbent than regular cotton yarn: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001683JHQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

12 x 12 bar mops from Walmart. I have several that are 23 years old and still going strong (though don't know if the new ones will hold up as long).https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-18-Piece-Kitchen-Bar-Mop-Dishcloth-Set-White/722790283?athbdg=L1600&from=/search 

Surgical cotton huck towels (new not reclaimed) instead of paper towels (you have to wash them twice first to get rid of the lint, then they are great for cleaning, super absorbent) for cleaning counters and appliances. Use three: soapy, wet rinse, and dry in succession for a beautiful clean. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CNWK816M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Small-link chain-mail cast-iron scrubbers. These are good for stainless steel or cast iron. Not good for ceramic. I have some with the larger links, but they don't seem to work as well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FKBR1ZG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Kalmia
  • Thanks 2

I stopped using sponges. They feel really gross to me now. 

I love my swedish dishcloth. It's basically a dishcloth that holds more water, which is great for me because I get water everywhere in my kitchen. For scrubbing I use a nylon brush and for the cast iron I've always used a stainless steel scrubber, even when I was using sponges.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use bar mop dishcloths from Walmart to wipe down the counters and other stuff.  I have a 12-inch high stack of them sitting in the kitchen.  I use them and toss them in with all the other whites (towels, bath rags, etc.) to wash them.

For doing the dishes to load into the dishwasher, I use a dish scrub brush.  To scrub the kitchen sinks, I use the dual-sided sponge. 

When the dishcloths start getting ragged, I relegate them to one-use things like wiping down really dirty stuff.  Then, I throw them away.  

• Thanks 1

I've always used rags.  Some double sided sponges, but  . . meh . . . 

recently had yt videos hit my feed of a woman who does free cleanings (she's a psych major and does it as a service for those seriously depressed/unable to function).  posts before and afters online.  she uses scrub daddies.  
I broke down and bought some.  I'm hooked.

eta: i still use my rags for wiping down counters, etc. (I also use a pastry scraper to scrape my counters before wiping). But for scrubbing . . . 

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

she uses scrub daddies.  

Yay! They're way better than regular sponges because they dry so quickly. It's also fun how they're hard when they're dry, and soft when they're in hot water.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

she uses scrub daddies.  

So I bought a scrub daddy 10+ years ago and I wasn't impressed in fact I felt like it didn't work at all... Did they improve am I missing something? It was scrubby when the water was cold but when the water is cold the dish soap doesn't work as well?? When the water is warm it didn't scrub at all. 

Interested because I'm getting nervous about cleaning the enamel cast iron with the OXO nylon brush... I'm nervous maybe the rigid plastic piece with making marks on it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

How do Swedish dishcloths differ from regular washcloth type dishcloths?

They're sort of rubbery. If you've ever used an Absorber or similar synthetic drying chamois, they're a whole lot alike. They drive very stiff, but soften up when wet. I use an Absorber when bathing dogs, but I don't find the Swedish dishcloths to be worthwhile. They're not that much more absorbent than bar mop cloths.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just used scrub daddy for the first time recently and love it.  I use it to scrub gross hardened things on the floor, cabinets, and other spots people miss when they make a mess.  But for most other things I just use the rags that bars use

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried Swedish dish cloths and wasn't impressed. I just use regular dish cloths with the occasional Dobie sponge when I need extra scrubbing. For non stick and enamel pans I use these Scotch Brite non-scratch scrubbies. If I need something stiffer I use scouring pads such as these - whatever brand I happen to grab.

I find bar rags to be too big and a bit cumbersome when washing dishes. Most of our dishes go in the dishwasher but with the exception of pots and pans, the items that don't go in are usually small - good knives, delicate glasses, etc. A bar mop is overkill for those items and a dish cloth is just the right size.

What I didn't like about Swedish dish cloths is that when wiping my quartz countertops the cloth leaves a lot of water behind. It doesn't matter how well I squeeze it out, the countertop is very wet when I'm done wiping. Not just normal wet but beads of water wet. Maybe the countertop material makes a difference when using Swedish dish cloths. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I use several different things.

We have sponges for washing the sink, counter, and some dishes, because dh likes them and he does a lot of cleaning, lol. If a sponge smells, it is not clean. 

I like thin dishcloths for wiping up spills, cleaning counter, lots of things.

Heavier dishcloths/rags for heavier cleaning. 

Some towels similar to bar mops but not as big, for bigger spills and messes. 

I don't like Dobie-style sponges that much because I find particles stick easily and they look dirty quickly. 

I don't like Swedish dishcloths; I don't find they work exceptionally well and the way they dry stiffly bothers me to no end. 

• Thanks 1

I generally use the yellow/green sided curvy sponges for everything.  (Scotch-Brite I think.)  

But, I've also used walnut scrubber sponges which I love (I've used two different brands).

I have a homemade yarn-crocheted cloth that I have on hand for random drip cleanups and such.

• Thanks 1