Menu

Is cornbread dangerous

MEmama

4 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

. Apparently the "obligate carnivore" part of their description didn't register. 

It’s also their nature to be contrary, so they are practically required to occasionally do things like this.   They have to keep the humans guessing.  

• Haha 7

26 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

I've had cats who would steal bread before. Apparently the "obligate carnivore" part of their description didn't register. 

I don't think it hurts them, although they might have to deal with an unhappy human 🙂

Our dog is a bread theif. Definitely his favorite people food. 

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

One of mine was helping herself to my oatmeal this morning. She will also steal a potato skin right off a plate and run away with it. Carnivores, bah! 

Ha ha! 😻

This one also loves to shred up corn husks from tamales. No idea why, but if we leave one out she'll find it (aka go digging in the compost bowl in the sink) and drag it around. She's crazy for them.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, MEmama said:

Ha ha! 😻

This one also loves to shred up corn husks from tamales. No idea why, but if we leave one out she'll find it (aka go digging in the compost bowl in the sink) and drag it around. She's crazy for them.

Many, many years ago when I was a brand  new homeowner I took in two large stray dogs. It took a bit of time (and saving) to get a fence put up, and . . sometimes they went walkabout. There was a cornfield behind the house. They'd pull up stalks, drag them into the yard, eat the corn and play with the stalks. The never got the carnivore memo, either. The farmer got a wee bit upset, even though I offered to pay.  

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Ha ha! 😻

We have to hide corn on the cob from one of our cats. He loves the husks! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Aslan just accidentally scratched my husband while digging in the bed for his beloved pipe cleaner. He looked like he felt guilty.  At least for a few minutes.  

Awww, what sweetie.

Frisco (above) gives the sweetest little kisses if she thinks she's hurt us. Cats are the bestest. 😻

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

Yeah, Ursula of blessed memory certainly never got the obligate carnivore memo.  She LOVED asparagus, broccoli, peanut butter sandwiches, and Doritos. 

My sister's kitty loves a similar list of foods. Broccoli is his absolute favourite, loves his peanut butter and honey, and also fries. With him you must put any chocolate behind closed doors or he would commit suicide by chocolate.

• Haha 3

My grandma's cat absolutely loved corn on the cob.

One of my cats is obsessed with frozen peas.

I really don't think the obligate carnivore thing is entirely accurate for cats.  They might well need meet to be healthy,  and maybe that is all it means, but I've never had a cat who didn't eat some plant foods by choice. I think the carnivore/herbivore thing is almost never 100% accurate--almost all animals are in fact omnivores, but some rely more heavily on plants and others more heavily on meat. I know someone who participated in research on deer that found them eating a surprising number of baby birds!

Edited by maize
  • Like 4

On 2/17/2024 at 2:28 PM, MEmama said:

For small feline thieves? 

IMG_4842.jpeg

IMG_4841.jpeg

IMG_4850.jpeg

Hopefully kitty didn't eat too much.  Surely he or she will be fine.  I didn't read the thread but jumping on also to say I love your backsplash!

• Thanks 1