Menu

Dr Hive: I’m ill but with weird symptoms

Ginevra

I don’t know what this is. I am not keen to go to urgent care because “everybody” has covid right now and I don’t want to go to that germy place. My son tested +for covid right after Christmas, and several work associates have either had covid or a different illness.  I tested negative for covid yesterday. (I also got boosted within the past month so I don’t think covid is the most likely thing.) 

I have a headache and “eye-ache” associated with it. If I have had any fever, it has been low enough that I didn’t bother to take my temp. I have had gastro issues since Christmas Day; I came home from relative’s house with a visibly bloated, crampy belly. Loose bowels but not full-blown D. Barely any appetite and everything I eat makes me burp and belch and causes me stomach pain. Last night I had a couple pickled cauliflower pieces and pomegranate seeds for “dinner”, after which my “stomach” (but high, like solar plexus region) hurt. 

I came home from work early yesterday and felt barely competent to drive; head felt fuzzy. (This is also why I didn’t go to UC yesterday. Weather was also terrible and I was afraid to drive any longer than absolutely necessary.) 

DH said when he had covid, he had that pain behind his eyes like that. But he had all the classic symptoms too. 

Dr Hive, what is your vote? Should I re-test for covid? Just chill here and drink a lot of fluids? 

I can get some version of all of those symptoms if my mast cells act up (I have mast cell activation syndrome), or as part of the migraine process (predrome to postdrome), but I rarely get all of it together. Weather does sometimes tip the balance toward all of that in one long episode though!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is a virus going around like that. Every person in my house (even those with no known allergies) has had those symptoms for  4-6 days in the past two weeks, some with diarrhea, others simply stomach pain, headaches, fogginess, crabby attitudes. We tested everyone for Covid and no one was positive. Everyone has complained their poop has a particularly gross metallic smell. DH thinks it started with him. A couple kids got sent home sick two days before Winter Break started. 

• Like 2

Given your son tested positive for Covid after Christmas, and that was only a few days ago, I’d still think Covid most likely assuming you’ve been around him (does he live with you?) I would definitely test again. It’s standard right now to test negative initially on first rapid test before turning positive on a subsequent test taken days later. If you have lots of tests, I’d test daily. Otherwise I’d do 48 hours in between tests. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

Given your son tested positive for Covid after Christmas, and that was only a few days ago, I’d still think Covid most likely assuming you’ve been around him (does he live with you?) I would definitely test again. It’s standard right now to test negative initially on first rapid test before turning positive on a subsequent test taken days later. If you have lots of tests, I’d test daily. Otherwise I’d do 48 hours in between tests. 

I don’t have lots of tests left, but yeah, I’m probably going to test again tomorrow unless I suddenly get better. My back hurts now, like in my kidneys, and that’s what my son said he had too. 

This son does not live here but was here for Christmas. If it is covid, though, I don’t think he was the vector; it was more likely the people I work with given the timing. 

My super healthy eating and constant exercise routine has really reduced how often I’ve been sick but something has caught up with me.  Christmas I didn’t feel very well:  extremely tired, sore throat, headache, but today I feel awful.  Very, very achy and tired and just incredibly fuzzy headed, with a heck of a headache. Chills and a temp of 101. I didn’t sleep at all well last night. Really torn between just giving in and going to bed now or trying to maintain a normal sleep schedule. Just blah. I had all these plans I really wanted to get done.  

• Sad 8

8 minutes ago, Terabith said:

My super healthy eating and constant exercise routine has really reduced how often I’ve been sick but something has caught up with me.  Christmas I didn’t feel very well:  extremely tired, sore throat, headache, but today I feel awful.  Very, very achy and tired and just incredibly fuzzy headed, with a heck of a headache. Chills and a temp of 101. I didn’t sleep at all well last night. Really torn between just giving in and going to bed now or trying to maintain a normal sleep schedule. Just blah. I had all these plans I really wanted to get done.  

I feel that. I brought my thumb drive with some end-of-year business stuff over to the recliner, thinking I could work on that while I’m sitting around anyway, but I finally just took the thumb drive back to where I keep it in the office because - No. My back hurts if I try to sit in a position conducive to using the computer and my head feels too fuzzy to pay attention to math right now. So it will have to keep until I feel better. 

• Like 2

My husband just got over an E. coli infection that started like that.  The severe back pain you’re mentioning concerns me.    He had that first, too, before the UTI symptoms that finally got him to go to the doctor. He ended up spending several days in the hospital on IV antibiotics, and is not fully recovered yet.  I think you should take this very seriously, honestly.  He was lucky he finally went to the doctor before developing sepsis.

• Sad 10

46 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

My husband just got over an E. coli infection that started like that.  The severe back pain you’re mentioning concerns me.    He had that first, too, before the UTI symptoms that finally got him to go to the doctor. He ended up spending several days in the hospital on IV antibiotics, and is not fully recovered yet.  I think you should take this very seriously, honestly.  He was lucky he finally went to the doctor before developing sepsis.

Oh my gosh! 

5 hours ago, Ginevra said:

I don’t know what this is. I am not keen to go to urgent care because “everybody” has covid right now and I don’t want to go to that germy place. My son tested +for covid right after Christmas, and several work associates have either had covid or a different illness.  I tested negative for covid yesterday. (I also got boosted within the past month so I don’t think covid is the most likely thing.) 

I have a headache and “eye-ache” associated with it. If I have had any fever, it has been low enough that I didn’t bother to take my temp. I have had gastro issues since Christmas Day; I came home from relative’s house with a visibly bloated, crampy belly. Loose bowels but not full-blown D. Barely any appetite and everything I eat makes me burp and belch and causes me stomach pain. Last night I had a couple pickled cauliflower pieces and pomegranate seeds for “dinner”, after which my “stomach” (but high, like solar plexus region) hurt. 

I came home from work early yesterday and felt barely competent to drive; head felt fuzzy. (This is also why I didn’t go to UC yesterday. Weather was also terrible and I was afraid to drive any longer than absolutely necessary.) 

DH said when he had covid, he had that pain behind his eyes like that. But he had all the classic symptoms too. 

Dr Hive, what is your vote? Should I re-test for covid? Just chill here and drink a lot of fluids? 

This is exactly how my post Thanksgiving Covid started. I had no respiring symptoms for 2-3 days just what you describe. 

• Sad 1

Possibly norovirus:

First signsWhat are the first signs of norovirus?

What are the symptoms? Common symptoms of norovirus infection include vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramping. Less common symptoms can include low-grade fever or chills, headache, and muscle aches. Symptoms usually begin 1 or 2 days after ingesting the virus, but may appear as early as 12 hours after exposure.

Barely any appetite and everything I eat makes me burp and belch and causes me stomach pain. Last night I had a couple pickled cauliflower pieces and pomegranate seeds for “dinner”, after which my “stomach” (but high, like solar plexus region) hurt. 

I didn’t pick this up the first time, but re-reading, if you have some Pepcid/famotidine, try taking it and see if it helps. A fair number of people get gastritis associated with Covid, and fomotadine is usually really helpful. Your symptoms sound possibly consistent with that, particularly the way it’s associated with eating and you feel it high up and have the burping.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tap said:

Possibly norovirus:

First signsWhat are the first signs of norovirus?

What are the symptoms? Common symptoms of norovirus infection include vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramping. Less common symptoms can include low-grade fever or chills, headache, and muscle aches. Symptoms usually begin 1 or 2 days after ingesting the virus, but may appear as early as 12 hours after exposure.

I wondered about that but no vomiting. Zero vomiting. I just have a bubbling stomach and I burp everything I eat. 

My first thought was that the stomach issues sound like gastritis.

But I know someone who had diagnosed (via endoscopy) with gastritis and then got Covid (confirmed only via home test) a couple of weeks later. So . . was it a weird, slowly developing case of Covid, or were the two unrelated? I tend to think unrelated given the time gap. But it seemed maybe relevant, so I thought I'd share. FWIW, their gastritis symptoms were exactly what you describe.

• Like 2

I had a weird cold last week with what I would call sinus pain, throat tickle.  But I wasn't very congested?  I did also have gastro symptoms.  And just generally felt icky - tired, brain fog, etc.  I tested for covid twice.  Negative both times.  Lasted about 5-6 days from end to end.  Seemed like it changed a little every day.  

I would most certainly test for covid if it is up for your area.  Our covid waste water numbers are holding fairly steady and hospitilization is actually down here this month.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

The severe back pain suggests possible kidney infection to me.  Based on that, which can be quite serious, I suggest going to the doctor to at least rule that out.

I am keeping an eye on that, as that is how my sister died. I told my son to pay attention to that, too. It is not “severe,” though. I think my kidneys are not super happy right now but I do not think they are infected or could lead to sepsis. I promise I will not play around if I think that is what’s happening. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I am keeping an eye on that, as that is how my sister died. I told my son to pay attention to that, too. It is not “severe,” though. I think my kidneys are not super happy right now but I do not think they are infected or could lead to sepsis. I promise I will not play around if I think that is what’s happening. 

At least have someone go grab some UTI strips to test with. 

Many years ago, I started the day at work and ended it in the ICU with sepsis from a kidney infection. 

• Sad 4

My pain wasn' t severe when I had a kidney infection.  It was just achy.

Edited by TravelingChris
  • Sad 1

Your symptoms are similar to what I’m hearing from people I know who have had Covid recently. Many started with a headache, painful stomach ache, burbs, and loose stools. Then came lung congestion.

My husband and I have been using red and near infrared light to try to prevent Covid. A few months ago, our youngest adult son stayed with us for a few weeks and while here, tested positive for Covid. Dh and I did not test positive despite being around him much of his time here. We had only done the first series of Pfizer and one booster over a year ago. We do use our red/NIR devices almost daily, though, and think they help. Our son was using his device only occasionally. What these spectrums of light do is help to keep mitochondria healthy and in Covid, tamp down the (very) severe and damaging effects caused by the infection. If you are curious, Dr. Seheult has done some YouTube videos explaining the studies and how the red and NIR light works. This one here is technical but very informative. He has others as well.

If you want to try it, Hooga in Wisconsin makes reliable, sturdy, affordable devices. My husband and I own several of their devices and each of our adult kids has one as well.

For Covid, this wraparound belt by Hooga (Amazon link), about $100, would work very well. If possible, you’d want to use it twice a day, morning and evening, for about 10” per area. You could position it lengthwise on your skin from just below the collarbone all the way down where your intestines run. Then, you could position it lengthwise along your back so that light shines on the lungs and kidneys. Bra can be on or off.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Your symptoms are similar to what I’m hearing from people I know who have had Covid recently. Many started with a headache, painful stomach ache, burbs, and loose stools. Then came lung congestion.

My husband and I have been using red and near infrared light to try to prevent Covid. A few months ago, our youngest adult son stayed with us for a few weeks and while here, tested positive for Covid. Dh and I did not test positive despite being around him much of his time here. We had only done the first series of Pfizer and one booster over a year ago. We do use our red/NIR devices almost daily, though, and think they help. Our son was using his device only occasionally. What these spectrums of light do is help to keep mitochondria healthy and in Covid, tamp down the (very) severe and damaging effects caused by the infection. If you are curious, Dr. Seheult has done some YouTube videos explaining the studies and how the red and NIR light works. This one here is technical but very informative. He has others as well.

If you want to try it, Hooga in Wisconsin makes reliable, sturdy, affordable devices. My husband and I own several of their devices and each of our adult kids has one as well.

For Covid, this wraparound belt by Hooga (Amazon link), about $100, would work very well. If possible, you’d want to use it twice a day, morning and evening, for about 10” per area. You could position it lengthwise on your skin from just below the collarbone all the way down where your intestines run. Then, you could position it lengthwise along your back so that light shines on the lungs and kidneys. Bra can be on or off.

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon.

Now you’ve gone and sent me down a rabbit hole! 🙂 This looks interesting. 

My mother's whole household, from senior citizens down to a 5 month old baby, are sick with covid-like, flu-like symptoms.  They've been tested for covid, flu, and RSV and all the tests are negative.  They have no idea what they have.  It was spread around at a large Christmas gathering.  Most of them are feeling better or recovered now.  Still, what was it?  A bad cold???

On 12/28/2023 at 11:28 AM, Ginevra said:

I don’t have lots of tests left, but yeah, I’m probably going to test again tomorrow unless I suddenly get better. My back hurts now, like in my kidneys, and that’s what my son said he had too. 

This son does not live here but was here for Christmas. If it is covid, though, I don’t think he was the vector; it was more likely the people I work with given the timing. 

Some of my kids and I had a really bad back ache with covid last summer.  fwiw  It was a lower back ache that was so painful I couldn't sleep unless I took aspirin.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

My mother's whole household, from senior citizens down to a 5 month old baby, are sick with covid-like, flu-like symptoms.  They've been tested for covid, flu, and RSV and all the tests are negative.  They have no idea what they have.  It was spread around at a large Christmas gathering.  Most of them are feeling better or recovered now.  Still, what was it?  A bad cold???

An adenovirus perhaps? Adenovirus rates aren’t high right now, but symptoms can be like flu or Covid. Did they test for Covid more than once? Lots of people are only testing early on, when symptoms are bad, and assuming no Covid because it’s negative. But for many who test again several days later, it’s positive at that point. 

• Like 1

@Ginevra This is what happened to me the week of Thanksgiving. I had about 3-4 days of GI symptoms almost exactly like you are describing, but then I developed a really nasty cold/flu like illness. I ran a low grade fever with it. I tested for COVID twice—negative both times. 

Honestly, my gut still isn’t right. I think my IBS is back. 

I hope you are feeling better.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, popmom said:

@Ginevra This is what happened to me the week of Thanksgiving. I had about 3-4 days of GI symptoms almost exactly like you are describing, but then I developed a really nasty cold/flu like illness. I ran a low grade fever with it. I tested for COVID twice—negative both times. 

Honestly, my gut still isn’t right. I think my IBS is back. 

I hope you are feeling better.

I’m sorry it went that way for you. My energy came flooding back yesterday and my stomach is back to normal. It was a weird illness. I never did register as Covid. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Ginevra said:

I’m sorry it went that way for you. My energy came flooding back yesterday and my stomach is back to normal. It was a weird illness. I never did register as Covid. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I'm glad you are feeling better.

• Like 2