Menu

I'm in a reading rut. Does this book exist?

Kidlit

I want to read something interesting, character-driven, and somewhat complex.  What I'm imagining is something like an LM Montgomery novel, but not,  because I've read all of those (and almost all of them more than once or twice).  It can be a kids' book but only if it's for older kids/teens.  I'm thinking of something hefty, like maybe A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Recommendations, anyone? 

29 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Joy In The Morning, by the same author, is also good.

3 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Maggie-Now is also very good (by Betty Smith).  I thought it was just as good as A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

I have only read Tree in Brooklyn by Smith.  I'll be on the lookout for these!

• Like 1

Have you read Cold Comfort Farm? Brilliant funny and warm.

The Greenwing & Dart series is wonderful - warm, set in a similar Anne of Green Gables time, except it is fantasy and dragons. But there is a lot about poetry, which I just love.  Start with Stargazy Pie and don't do the 'extra novellas' until you're done with the main books.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

Have you read Cold Comfort Farm? Brilliant funny and warm.

The Greenwing & Dart series is wonderful - warm, set in a similar Anne of Green Gables time, except it is fantasy and dragons. But there is a lot about poetry, which I just love.  Start with Stargazy Pie and don't do the 'extra novellas' until you're done with the main books.

Both of these are new to me titles.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I recently read Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng.  It was a really good coming-of-age story that I happened to see on a display at the library.  

I read Little Fires Everywhere and Our Missing Hearts but not this one.  I really loved Our Missing Hearts. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kidlit said:

I want to read something interesting, character-driven, and somewhat complex.

I'll recommend The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold.

"A man broken in body and spirit, Cazaril returns to the noble household he once served as page and is named secretary-tutor to the beautiful, strong-willed sister of the impetuous boy who is next in line to rule. It is an assignment Cazaril dreads, for it must ultimately lead him to the place he most fears: the royal court of Cardegoss, where the powerful enemies who once placed him in chains now occupy lofty positions.

But it is more than the traitorous intrigues of villains that threaten Cazaril and the Royesse Iselle here, for a sinister curse hangs like a sword over the entire blighted House of Chalion. And only by employing the darkest, most forbidden of magics can Cazaril hope to protect his royal charge -- an act that will mark him as a tool of the miraculous . . . and trap him in a lethal maze of demonic paradox."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 4kidlets4me said:

East of Eden 

My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

The Hearts Invisible Furies by John Boyne

The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin- I will say I had a big problem with the plot of this one but overall the book is well written

I haven't read a single one of these titles!  I haven't read Steinbeck in YEARS.  I was actually trying to remember the name Ferrante earlier tonight, so thank you for that! 

Edited by Kidlit
  • Like 1