Menu

what does your 1st grader read? depressing

choirfarm

Relax. :grouphug: It's first grade! My eldest was an early and very advanced reader and then along came my second who didn't have a lot of interest. I was upset at first and put too much pressure on her and then I noticed her greatest leaps came during breaks from school. Coincidentally, when I was more relaxed and we were just reading for fun. Anyway just continue your ETC or what ever your using and don't forget to cuddle on the couch while your reading.

BTW- Outside of our school reading, my eldest will still spend her evenings reading fiction but younger (11) is spending her time doing things. She will read, and does read adult level manuals and non-fiction to help her with her projects. She's just a "doer"

I sometimes find those posts depressing, too! But then I save those booklists for when my kids are reading more, put my blinders on, and be happy with where my kids are at. I think my kids are doing just fine for where *they* are at (not compared to anyone else). If I compared them to our public schools, or these 1st graders that are reading chapter books, then I would be greatly disappointed and worried. But when I look at them and the progress they are making without comparison, I think they are doing quite well! I have to rejoice in those little things they do, remain patient, and keep plugging ahead in their lessons. By the way, I am NOT a *relaxed* mom. When I set out to homeschool, my kids were going to be geniuses, by golly! After suffering a lot of heartache, disappointment, frustration, and sleepless nights of worry, I finally just had to put those blinders on.

My ds19 was not reading in K. They did letter of the week, and he just didn't get it. He turned 7 in first grade (a montessori program), and didn't read until 2 months in--then it clicked! He took home the very first Bob Book, read it to me, then went to bed with it, reading it over and over. He was so proud! He grew up liking to read, did a Great Books curriculum successfully, and has an impressive literature list to take to college.

It takes some kids a while. You are not a failure. Your kid is not a failure. In our family, the "extreme" case is my brother in law, who didn't read fluently until he was 14. He went on to own his own printing business (always saw that as rather humorous! :D), then moved his family and started his own fireplace installation store--he likes to read now, and his dyslexia is completely remediated. Not saying AT ALL that your child has dyslexia or something wrong--just saying some kids are on a different time table than some other kids, and that's ok.

Hang in there.

I don't consider it real reading unless the can read all the signs around them, the menu at a restaurant, a chapter book, etc.

My oldest could do most of that in 2nd but only picked up chapter books in 3rd. My youngest is still learning to read in first grade. She is making great progress but not "truly" reading books right now although she does "pretend" to read chapter books.

It just takes time and some children read earlier and some read later and eventually they all end up in the same place--reading. Relax, take your time, have fun, enjoy this time and do not compare to other children it will only bring you down. We all have our own special unique gifts and talents. :001_smile:

I don't consider it real reading unless the can read all the signs around them, the menu at a restaurant, a chapter book, etc.

My oldest could do most of that in 2nd but only picked up chapter books in 3rd. My youngest is still learning to read in first grade. She is making great progress but not "truly" reading books right now although she does "pretend" to read chapter books.

It just takes time and some children read earlier and some read later and eventually they all end up in the same place--reading. Relax, take your time, have fun, enjoy this time and do not compare to other children it will only bring you down. We all have our own special unique gifts and talents. :001_smile:

This sounds similar to my experience too. I didn't even read the other "what does your 1st grader read" thread. It might have been depressing for me too! :tongue_smilie: Anyway, you're definitely not alone. Skills develop at such different paces - but by 4th grade or so most have caught up or evened out. Don't worry!

Another mom to later readers chiming in. I have 9 kids from 26-6. Currently I have 2 first graders and a K. None of my older kids read chapter books in 1st grade, and dare I say, even read alone for enjoyment. My two oldest completed college with ease, with one being an English major. All of the others are great students with the exception of one who struggles across the board academically. I don't expect my 1st graders to read fluently! We just continue working together. Studies have shown that later readers catch up to the early readers around 4th grade.

Relax and enjoy your children!!! Life is too short to sweat the small things.

ally

I have one of those early readers - and it wasn't really anything I did. It's just who he is - he catches on to things REALLY fast. Shockingly so sometimes. My Dd was a much more normal reader - working through th-e c-a-t w-a-s for a long time and then sounded c-a-t out every time she saw it on the page. She's a great reader now, but it was a whole lot more work with her. My point for writing all this is that I've learned that kids just "are". If we're doing are part - being consistent with lessons and practice - then at some point it will click. The click just occurs at different times for different kids. Be consistent, let them practice a lot, read a lot to them (I am convinced this makes a huge difference in their ability to progress with harder reading later on) and relax. God picked you to be your kids mom for a reason - so enjoy them!! :) They sound very blessed to have you!

My youngest still isn't *reading* yet. He can sound out short vowel words, but he's not *really* reading yet. My ds, now 12, didn't read anything that wasn't assigned until last winter. Last winter he found the Percy Jackson series, and it was the first time he ever read a book just for pleasure. I was thrilled!

Hope this lifts your spirits!

Hey--When my oldest was in first grade, he didn't read anything either, because he couldn't! Then when he was in second grade he didn't read anything outside of what I forced him to read for his reading lesson because it was too hard. When he was in third grade, he didn't read anything that I didn't force him to until the very end of the year when he discovered Boxcar Children books. He's been reading ever since.

Ok, this thread is completely depressing. Although my oldest two would have used that thread my youngest doesn't read anything unless forced and then it is incredibly painful. I'm such a failure.

Mine doesn't either and she's 8. Hates to read and pretty much forces herself to listen. I wanted her to love reading and I have an entire library at home and from day 1, she never was interested. That pains me.

Ok, this thread is completely depressing. Although my oldest two would have used that thread my youngest doesn't read anything unless forced and then it is incredibly painful. I'm such a failure.

Don't worry. Ds didn't start reading for enjoyment until between 3rd and 4th grade (and then it was only Captain Underpants...ugh!). Now, 12 yo, he loves to read and spends most of the day reading. He spends all the money he gets on books and begs me to take him to the library to read and to Barnes and Noble.

The secret: I quit pushing him back in 1st grade. I decided I wanted him to love reading so I modeled the bahavior I wanted. It worked for us.

That's my thread and that's why I asked! LOL:lol: We have to enforce no TV or games for the majority of the day and have the books displayed nicely... and I have to get "twaddle", which I don't believe in BTW.

I was trying to start out with SL and DD couldn't stand it!! Others have their children listening to novels in PreK.

I have also told her that her time on the Nintendo is going to be determined by how much reading I see her do during the week. (and we are going to enforce a scheduled time for reading, I haven't gotten to that yet.)

A lot of kids this age are used to reading with mom and dad. It is not as cozy or fun to read alone. That's why taking turns was advised in several posts.

My youngest is dyslexic, so I feel your pain. My two older girls are voracious readers like my dh and I. The only things my youngest reads outside of scheduled reading time are Foxtrot, Dilbert, and Garfield comic books. At least she loves audiobooks. She can also listen to me read for hours (if I have the time and inclination to read that long).

It's much better now that she actually has the ability to read the kinds of books that she's interested in. She just isn't interested in doing the work of reading outside of school. That's why she has scheduled free reading every day. My other kids never needed me to schedule free reading for them. They always read far more than I would have scheduled anyway.

Most of the time threads that are like:

What is your first grader reading?

What age did your child start reading chapter books?

When did you child take off reading on their own?

are filled with responses from people who have a first grader reading 3rd-4th grade level books and kids that were reading chapter books at age 4. The more people that respond as such, the less likely the parents of regular readers are to respond and eventually the thread is pretty meaningless as a barometer for what is average. JMHO

This sounds similar to my experience too. I didn't even read the other "what does your 1st grader read" thread. It might have been depressing for me too! :tongue_smilie: Anyway, you're definitely not alone. Skills develop at such different paces - but by 4th grade or so most have caught up or evened out. Don't worry!

Hey! That was not a brag thread!!! It was very helpful, since my first grader was balking at everything!! The books she is enjoying from the list were guessed to be 2nd grade level. Not much progress considering that she could read Bob books and all of the signs around her at 3! Closed captioning and all of Tanglewood's early readers at 4! Then her progress just stopped. It happens. We are less than 1/3 done with MUS alpha too. Like Wee Pip, I was determined to have a genius! I was going to use SL, have an advanced learner, etc. Had to take a reality pill and get used to average.:tongue_smilie:

One who took his time to learn to read and get into it, and one that learned early to read and was initially voracious. Ironically the one who took is time is now a more enthusiatic recreational reader and reads a lot of adult books (he's in 6th), and the one who read early now has to be prodded to do recreational reading although she's enthusiastic once she gets a book going (she's in 3rd/4th grade).

Why are you blaming yourself for this? Neither of mine were reading in 1st grade, and my oldest hated reading then. Not quite as much as he hated math, but almost! Today they are 9 & 11 and both read on their own for pleasure.

Your dd could have an undetected learning disability, or she might just not be ready yet. It doesn't have anything to do with her intelligence, and knowing how hard you work as a teacher, it doesn't have anything to do with you either. Give both of you time & don't read any more threads about 1st graders reading! We can't find our identity and worth in how well our kids do in school. Give yourself and her lots of grace on this.

Merry :-)

:grouphug:

Honey, my younger dd did not read at her age level until she was 9½. By the time she was taking community college classes at 14yo, it was a non-issue that she had been a late reader.

I did not ever force her to read. We did Spalding for two or three months each year, and R&S's "Unit O." Dd was a determined, stubborn little person, who wanted To Do Things Herself, so I just let her read--or not--and did other things with her.

Don't worry about it.

I have a question. Does your child like to be read to? If you keep it up, the child will learn to read. My delayed reader, I read to him and made him memorize his verses and poems consistently. Eventually he read. It clicked. When it clicked, he started reading books like crazy. It was nice. Your child can do it. I have a girlfriend that said her son did not start to read until he was in 5th grade, but once he did, he flew.

I hope that that is encouraging.

Merry Christmas,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

{{hugs}} You are not a failure. Children do not progress at the same rates. My oldest taught himself to read and is a voracious reader now. However, I was humbled by my next two children.

My 2nd son struggled in 1st grade. We got to lesson 70 in 100EZlessons and he dcould not read at all. He was fighting me. By 3rd grade he was on track. My now 3rd grade daughter really struggled in 1st grade. We did OPGTR and got about halfway through, but dd was in tears when she had to read the sentences. We put it away for a while, just played games and I read to her. We picked it up again in 3 months, still struggling. We split up the sentences so she would read one and then do something else, then read again. Eventually, she did get it. In March of last year, she struggled in reading. She was reading in the Pathway readers first grade book. By June, she had read all the way through the 3rd grade book. This fall, she decided that she had to read Brsinger (that thick book.) I told her it was too big. Well, she made a fool out of me - she read it herself!

My point is that if reading is that painful of a process, put it away, but keep up with other literacy rich activities: lots of read alouds, doing picture puzzles to help develop the visual discrimination, playing games, audio books. Some kids take longer to develop all the skills and put them together to read. With my younger two children, they struggled with visual tracking. With dd, it was a maturity issue. With ds, we had to do some exercises to help strengthen the eye muscles.

Keep the faith!!

MOST first graders are *not* reading chapter books, especially only in December! (hugs) Magic Tree House books are second grade level because the average kid reading them is in second grade!

Until 10 or 15 years ago, kids in school weren't even being taught to read or write until the beginning of first grade, right? I started reading really early but my younger sibs didn't. We are all fairly intelligent and you wouldn't know today that I was the one who read first. :)

Be encouraged if your 1st grader is progressing!!!! :001_smile:

My 10yo ds is FINALLY reading at a 2nd grade level. And one major thing that I had to cope with was guilt reinforced by every random person who suggested that it was something I was doing wrong. Even innocently but painfully added to by my older dc who I had already taught to read! We've discovered a number of special challenges that this intelligent ds has to work around and although it's been a long discouraging road, he's learning.

Try to relax, be patient, and just enjoy the ride! And I would try to be very careful that your frusturation that this dc is different doesn't come across to the dc. They're an individual and it's OK! I have a brilliant older brother and one of the best gifts my parents ever gave me was that they didn't assume that I would be like him. That my own giftings and abilities were just as valuable as his.

Hey! That was not a brag thread!!! It was very helpful, since my first grader was balking at everything!! The books she is enjoying from the list were guessed to be 2nd grade level. Not much progress considering that she could read Bob books and all of the signs around her at 3! Closed captioning and all of Tanglewood's early readers at 4! Then her progress just stopped. It happens. We are less than 1/3 done with MUS alpha too. Like Wee Pip, I was determined to have a genius! I was going to use SL, have an advanced learner, etc. Had to take a reality pill and get used to average.:tongue_smilie:

Sorry I misjudged your thread by its title :D!

Studies also show that later readers, typically have fewer eyesight problems:-) My homeschooled brother, didn't read until 7 yrs old. He caught up to grade level (and probably beyond) in 2 months. My daughter, in public school, didn't read well until I allowed her to read Harry Potter in 3rd grade. I don't count "reading" until it's like speaking. Who cares if a 1st grader can sound out words, but it takes forever? It's kinda like potty training....or anything else....will they be ok as an adult?? Will they put it on a resume??

I say, let them play with legos and listen to read alouds by you and on the cd player...with cds....You can listen to cds that are good for your mind.... and get the wiggles out too!

Carrie:-)

My 9 yr. old daughter wasn't reading beynd a second grade reading level in fall of '07. By the winter of '08 she was working through a 350 page fantasy novel.

I think a lot of people on this forum could really benefit by looking at some unschooling sites and articles on reading. In that community, late reading is often the norm and they often find that the child who couldn't read at 9 or 10 is reading well beyond grade level at 10 or 11. It seems to be a pretty natural thing.

It's so tied in to developmental things we have no control over that it's useless to blame ourselves. Fill them up with stories, talk a lot, listen to them tell stories and they'll find their way.

I don't think anyone believes in it, they just enjoy it! "D

I mean that I don't really believe that there is twaddle. I am happy that my child is reading, and I am pretty sure she is learning from it, no matter what it is. :)

Besides that, I think that the definition of twaddle is way too strict and highly suspect. So I think we agree, I just did not express myself correctly.

My 6yodd can read "cat." :) Yes, I'll admit that I worry about her, but I see progress.

My 10yodd was 8 before she started reading. It was hard! She has slowly progressed. She didn't experience any spectacular developmental jumps, and she doesn't understand how her older sister can love reading so much. She likes reading Magic Tree House Research Guides and attempts fiction. This summer with much effort she and I read The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.

I also have a nephew who didn't learn to read until he was 10. Within a year he was reading on target (example: Redwall series, Harry Potter).

I admit that some of the threads here leave me depressed too. Comparison can be the death of contentment. :grouphug:

I mean that I don't really believe that there is twaddle. I am happy that my child is reading, and I am pretty sure she is learning from it, no matter what it is. :)

Besides that, I think that the definition of twaddle is way too strict and highly suspect. So I think we agree, I just did not express myself correctly.

Or I didn't read carefully enough! I'm with you. We have tons of what some would call twaddle and we see a lot of value in it.

I hope your encouraged by the sharing of other's stories. When we began homeschooling my oldest son (now almost 17), he had just finished 1st grade at a private school. He was a struggling reader, and I was quickly frustrated. He and I would be in tears most days. Then for some reason, I decided to have his eyes checked. Well, after getting a pair of glasses his reading improved. The doctor said my son had 'weak' eyes that were being strained. He grew out of the need for his glasses in about a year. That was such a relief to all of us. We also did a lot of reading out loud.

HTH

:grouphug: I'm sorry. I do have an early reader and did post on that particular thread, but I read plenty of other things here that make me feel like a failure on a weekly basis. My DD6 taught herself to read when she was barely 4; I didn't do anything at all to teach her because I wasn't expecting her to learn so early and become fluent so quickly. However, we never covered even a smidge of phonics for that reason, and she'll never sit for it now. I'm so worried about what that might mean later on.

I agree with the others that you just can't allow yourself to make the comparisons. All kids are different! Some are early readers, some are late readers, some never develop a love of reading. It will all be OK. That's the beauty of HSing: You can meet them at their level, wherever that may be, and teach them according to their abilities without having to worry about what 25 other kids are able to do or not to. Slow and steady wins the race, mama :grouphug: Keep up the good work!

We can't find our identity and worth in how well our kids do in school.

Merry :-)

I think that says so much! Personally, I struggle constantly with remembering my identity has nothing to do with earthly things or others opinions. My identity is found in Christ alone.

I must remember this when I find myself comparing DS to "other" 1st graders. Especially my friends who have kids in public school where they're pushed like crazy to read and labeled if they aren't fluent by mid-year 1st grade. As a child I was an early reader and went on to constantly have my nose in a book. But it was a choice not something the school (I wasn't homeschooled) required or society expected. Children should be allowed to develop their love for reading in a comfortable, supportive environment not one that says here's the bar, reach it or else.

Two of my four kids 1) enjoyed reading anything in 1st grade, and 2) were able to read in 1st grade. Of the remaining two, one became a fluent reader in 2nd grade but did not enjoy reading until 3rd or 4th; one is halfway through 2nd grade and hates to read, reading is a struggle to him, and he's just beginning to read at all.

Don't sweat first grade ;-) My kid who didn't really read until 2nd grade and did not enjoy reading until 3rd or 4th is now in 7th and reading the Iliad and Shakespeare with ease!