Menu

My grand-fur-baby (pit bull) is having a leg amputated--second update to bring awareness to a good thing!

popmom

Technically today since it is 1am. I can't sleep. His name is Trooper. My dd is a nervous wreck. I feel so bad for both of them. She is the one who just married and moved to DC. This is her pit bull. He is older and most likely his lameness is from cancer. He started limping late last year. He has seen multiple veterinarians here. It was an extremely difficult decision to amputate. She knows that if it's cancer, it likely won't extend his life. She just wants him to have less pain. The consensus is that the surgery would make him feel better. They couldn't biopsy because the bone is too weak. She was such a big part of the rescue community here that a bunch of people chipped in to cover about half the cost.

She has had Trooper for 4 years. He was found in rural Georgia dragging a chain--emaciated, scarred from abuse, near death from heartworms and a respiratory infection. My girls would never turn away the worst medical cases, and Trooper was one of them. I remember the first time he came to my house. He was coughing up blood, and I thought--he's not going to make it. But true to his name, he did make it. And he thrived with dd. She decided she couldn't bear to adopt him out. There was just something about the two of them together. He is such a GOOD dog. Dd isn't ready to lose him yet. None of us are. 

If you have been through anything similar, what should we know?

Dd has nursed multiple dogs through orthopedic surgeries, but none were as old as Trooper. I think he is 9 now??? The vet is very impressed at how well he gets around already on the 3 good legs, so hopefully that will make recovery easier. He has been in good spirits. Good appetite. Seems to feel good as long as he gets his pain meds. He's on gabapentin, and  a couple of others--an anti-inflammatory. 

I'm so anxious--I can't imagine how dd feels. 

Edited by popmom
  • Sad 12

Not an expert, as I've only assisted in 1 amputation (7-ish year old border collie). The dog did really well. You'll be surprised at how quickly Trooper will bounce back! The challenge will be keeping him quiet and calm in the recovery. The surgeon will probably put a drain at the incision to help draw fluid away. I'm sure they will go over wound care with your daughter at discharge. Drain care is really easy; warm compresses a few times a day, keep the drains clean, don't let the dog lick the incision, etc. 

Draining is usually worse the first few days post op. They probably won't bandage the wound because the anatomy really don't lend itself to that. If the drainage is getting messy, you can try putting an old t shirt on the pet to absorb it a bit. Old towels for the pet to lay on, too. 

Have the doctors done a met check/xrays of lungs and abdomen? If they haven't, I'd really want that information before going forward with surgery. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Shoeless said:

Not an expert, as I've only assisted in 1 amputation (7-ish year old border collie). The dog did really well. You'll be surprised at how quickly Trooper will bounce back! The challenge will be keeping him quiet and calm in the recovery. The surgeon will probably put a drain at the incision to help draw fluid away. I'm sure they will go over wound care with your daughter at discharge. Drain care is really easy; warm compresses a few times a day, keep the drains clean, don't let the dog lick the incision, etc. 

Draining is usually worse the first few days post op. They probably won't bandage the wound because the anatomy really don't lend itself to that. If the drainage is getting messy, you can try putting an old t shirt on the pet to absorb it a bit. Old towels for the pet to lay on, too. 

Have the doctors done a met check/xrays of lungs and abdomen? If they haven't, I'd really want that information before going forward with surgery. 

Yes--he's had all the xrays. They don't see anything else concerning. It's interesting. I am trying so hard not to get my hopes up, but I am so anxious to know what is causing this. One vet thinks it is possible that it was something neurological because his eye on the same side is wonky. Possibly luxating just a tad. I'm not sure if there have been head xrays--actually. But there's nothing concerning in the neck/chest/ab areas. 

Thank you. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, popmom said:

Yes--he's had all the xrays. They don't see anything else concerning. It's interesting. I am trying so hard not to get my hopes up, but I am so anxious to know what is causing this. One vet thinks it is possible that it was something neurological because his eye on the same side is wonky. Possibly luxating just a tad. I'm not sure if there have been head xrays--actually. But there's nothing concerning in the neck/chest/ab areas. 

With his history, I have to wonder if he had some sort of injury or infection in the bone that weakened it. I wonder if he was hit by a car in his past.  Maybe they can get a section of the bone after amputation to send to pathology.  

The pets I've seen with brain masses usually present with seizures, so if he's not seizing, he's probably fine in that regard. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Shoeless said:

With his history, I have to wonder if he had some sort of injury or infection in the bone that weakened it. I wonder if he was hit by a car in his past.  Maybe they can get a section of the bone after amputation to send to pathology.  

The pets I've seen with brain masses usually present with seizures, so if he's not seizing, he's probably fine in that regard. 

We have been sort of secretly hoping for infection. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility, but my vet really seemed convinced the x rays looked like cancer. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, popmom said:

We have been sort of secretly hoping for infection. It's not completely out of the realm of possibility, but my vet really seemed convinced the x rays looked like cancer. 

I've got my fingers crossed for him! Keep us posted on how he does 🐕‍🦺

• Thanks 1

I had a 3-legged pit bull. He had to have a leg removed because of a cancerous tumor. He was about Trooper’s age, perhaps a bit younger. I was so, so worried about his surgery and how I would find him afterwards. When I went to pick him up, expecting a feeble and fragile dog, I was amazed to see him bounding out on his three legs, playful and happy to be relatively pain-free. The only thing that bothered him was the cone he had to wear. Dogs recover quickly. Trooper is already used to getting around on only three legs, so I am sure he will be just fine. My dog’s cancer wasn’t curable, but the surgery gave us a few more happy years together.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wish I could update with better news.

Trooper didn’t want to wake up this morning and his back legs weren’t working well. They did X-rays and the cancer spread to the spine.  Ataxia. So no surgery. They are recommending humane euthanasia. She took the day off work to snuggle with him. She is thinking tomorrow will be the day. She’s not sure. 

Please pray for her and Trooper. Pray for her dear sweet husband, too. She said he’s cried as much as she has. My heart breaks for them. We all adore this pup.

Edited by popmom
  • Sad 34

1 hour ago, bibiche said:

I had a 3-legged pit bull. He had to have a leg removed because of a cancerous tumor. He was about Trooper’s age, perhaps a bit younger. I was so, so worried about his surgery and how I would find him afterwards. When I went to pick him up, expecting a feeble and fragile dog, I was amazed to see him bounding out on his three legs, playful and happy to be relatively pain-free. The only thing that bothered him was the cone he had to wear. Dogs recover quickly. Trooper is already used to getting around on only three legs, so I am sure he will be just fine. My dog’s cancer wasn’t curable, but the surgery gave us a few more happy years together.

Thank you for sharing! Even though it isn’t working out that way for us, it makes my heart happy to hear such a sweet story! 

Just now, I talk to the trees said:

🥺I am so sorry! Why does doing the right thing for our fur kids have to be so sucky sometimes? 

Right??? It is enormously painful all around. I think it’s because compared to humans—-they have no guile. None whatsoever. Especially Trooper. There was never a purer heart. I have stories. I’m sure our whole fam will spend the next days and weeks remembering them. 

And it’s been exactly a year and 3 days since my other dd lost her shepherd lab mix. Darla. Another pure heart. 

• Sad 11

• popmom changed the title to My grand-fur-baby (pit bull) is having a leg amputated--sad update :(
2 hours ago, popmom said:

Thank you for sharing! Even though it isn’t working out that way for us, it makes my heart happy to hear such a sweet story! 

I’m so sorry Trooper won’t have the same happy outcome. Losing a dog is so hard. 😢 

• Thanks 1

I didn't sleep much last night. I prayed a lot. Dd and I texted back and forth a bit this morning, and then I didn't hear from her for several hours. They brought in a vet that does in home euthanasia. She explained how it went, and I am so grateful this option exists. I had no idea! It was so peaceful. His "little sister" chi mix was snuggled up to him during the entire process. He fell asleep licking a peanut butter cup. 

I wasn't going to post again, but I really want people to know this option exists. And if it doesn't exist where you live or where I live--I plan to make it known that there are plenty of us who would want this service when the time comes. 

Dd's twin (who lost her dog just over a year ago) posted the following today in honor of them both. We have a sweet video of the the two of them (Troop and Darla) playing. Dd said she believes that's what heaven looked like today when Troop got there. We have peace.

Also, my kids are better people than me. I don't even know how they came from me. 

"I keep thinking about Trooper’s story and how much it impacted everyone who worked with Pups on the Plains.
For those who don’t know, Trooper’s rescue story started with a freezing night in which it got so cold that the heavy chain he was on finally broke. He was so underweight that I’m shocked he even survived those cold nights leading up to his time at animal control.
Shelby took this dog and it was love at first sight. Through his recovery, to helping him feel like a dog again, to accommodating his anxiety around strange men, to helping him work through some mild aggression due to his past, and through all of his medical issues.
God put Shelby and Trooper together for a reason. He was foster dad to many puppies, brother and comforter to so many abused and neglected dogs that came through POP, and was perfect example of what rescue is all about. He lived the last half of his life being completely adored and loved.
The vet said his type of cancer is incredibly painful and he’s likely been toughing it out for awhile. I fully believe he was waiting to see Shelby through her next steps in life — marriage and moving away. He knew his job was done.
RIP Trooper. I know you and Darla are having a ball upstairs."

Please consider supporting your local rescues. And vets who offer in home euthanasia. Thanks for reading this. 
Edited by popmom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 11

• popmom changed the title to My grand-fur-baby (pit bull) is having a leg amputated--second update to bring awareness to a good thing!
35 minutes ago, popmom said:

I didn't sleep much last night. I prayed a lot. Dd and I texted back and forth a bit this morning, and then I didn't hear from her for several hours. They brought in a vet that does in home euthanasia. She explained how it went, and I am so grateful this option exists. I had no idea! It was so peaceful. His "little sister" chi mix was snuggled up to him during the entire process. He fell asleep licking a peanut butter cup. 

I wasn't going to post again, but I really want people to know this option exists. And if it doesn't exist where you live or where I live--I plan to make it known that there are plenty of us who would want this service when the time comes. 

Dd's twin (who lost her dog just over a year ago) posted the following today in honor of them both. We have a sweet video of the the two of them (Troop and Darla) playing. Dd said she believes that's what heaven looked like today when Troop got there. We have peace.

Also, my kids are better people than me. I don't even know how they came from me. 

"I keep thinking about Trooper’s story and how much it impacted everyone who worked with Pups on the Plains.
For those who don’t know, Trooper’s rescue story started with a freezing night in which it got so cold that the heavy chain he was on finally broke. He was so underweight that I’m shocked he even survived those cold nights leading up to his time at animal control.
Shelby took this dog and it was love at first sight. Through his recovery, to helping him feel like a dog again, to accommodating his anxiety around strange men, to helping him work through some mild aggression due to his past, and through all of his medical issues.
God put Shelby and Trooper together for a reason. He was foster dad to many puppies, brother and comforter to so many abused and neglected dogs that came through POP, and was perfect example of what rescue is all about. He lived the last half of his life being completely adored and loved.
The vet said his type of cancer is incredibly painful and he’s likely been toughing it out for awhile. I fully believe he was waiting to see Shelby through her next steps in life — marriage and moving away. He knew his job was done.

Please consider supporting your local rescues. Thanks for reading this. 

A beautiful tribute to a great dog ❤️ 

He was a real Good Boy. I'm glad he was surrounded with love and treats 🐕‍🦺

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, history-fan said:

Sorry for your families loss. We just lost our young rescue dog 6 days ago to intestinal cancer. The impact pets have on a persons life can hardly be measured it’s so great in so many ways.

Grieving with you. I’m so sorry.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, popmom said:

Please consider supporting your local rescues. And vets who offer in home euthanasia. Thanks for reading this. 

What a beautiful tribute. ❤️  I'm so glad Trooper got to experience all the love and care he deserved after such a traumatic start in life, and bless your wonderful DD for giving him that. Sending gentle hugs to you and your family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm so sorry! I just saw this, and am heartbroken for her. Bully breeds can be SUCH lovers - just so in tune with their humans and other animals. Hugs to your family. 

Also, I know it is a children's book, but the book "Dog Heaven" helped ME as much as it did my kids when we had to let one of ours go. I'd consider sending it to her. It's a lovely sentiment.