Menu

Things to do in Hunstville, AL and Nashville, TN

kbutton

Planning to be in both places in a few weeks and need ideas at various price points.

We are not eating indoors, and one of us has food issues. We do like museums. Some outdoor stuff is fine, but we're not into vigorous because of varying orthopedic issues and ages (something like a walking tour is fine, but not a big hike or anything with sketchy terrain). 

I went to a NASA type of place in Huntsville and really liked it, but I am not positive where I went.  From Google it looks like Marshall has a visitors center but I am not sure if that is where I went.  Whatever the NASA type place is there — we thought it was wonderful.  

• Like 2

The Botanical Gardens is wonderful, and it is very handicapped accessible. So it is easy to get around. It really is gorgeous. Huntsville

Buritt on the Mountain not too far from Huntsville.

Depending on what time of year you are there, Hobart tulip unlock farm north of Huntsville in New Market is lovely. 

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 2

Assembly Hall in Nashville has free concerts usually Wednesday-Sunday, I think. You'd have to check their schedule. It’s a multi-level food court with indoor, outdoor and rooftop eating areas and bars. It’s across the street from Ryman Auditorium.

Most of the honky tonk bars on Broadway have rooftop areas where you can sit, have a drink and listen to music. Some are quite nice and cozy. One has acoustic music at night, a different vibe than the rowdy and raucous neighboring bars. I want to say it’s Blake Shelton’s bar Ole Red but I’m not sure. You can park for free for 2 hours during the day on Korean Veterans Blvd, just a few blocks away near Springhill Suites. Music on Broadway begins around 2 pm.

There is an excellent tapas bar in Midtown not far from Vanderbilt and the Parthenon with a beautiful outdoor patio (that can fill up). Happy hour is from 4-6, M-F. Food is pretty good. Might be a fun way to relax after a busy day. Barcelona Wine Bar.

Frist Museum is very nice.

Franklin is a very cute town to explore.

• Like 2

Nashville- Walk through the atrium at the Opryland hotel-my suggestion on this is to park at the very back of the mall parking lot, near the hotel employee parking, and walk to the hotel, because parking is extremely expensive. It's beautiful. And, if you're there when it's hot, cold, or raining, it's nicely climate controlled. 

Bicentennial park and Centennial park are both worth visiting.  

I don't know if they're open to just walk through now, but there are a ton of neat historical markers and buildings on the HBCU campuses. I haven't been in Nashville since COVID, though. 

And, no homeschooler can visit Nashville without going to McKay's books. Save space in your car 🙂

• Like 5

We went to Nashville last year for spring break. It was absolutely amazing.  Highlights were:

Belle Mead plantation

Grand old Opry

Country music hall of Fame 

Mackay's used book store

Downtown Nashville and crossing the bridge etc.   

Those are not in order but I highly recommend all of it. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Pintosrock said:

US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville 

This is the way. 

Also nice in Huntsville: Monte Sano State park and hiking trails, Burritt museum, Early Works museum (if you have kids under 10), Cute restaurants and shops on the square. 

• Like 3

Nashville:

Cheekwood Botanical Garden
Belle Meade Plantation
The Parthenon
The Frist Center (art museum)

Country Music Hall of Fame and/or Johnny Cash Museum

Bluebird Cafe (if you can get tix)

The Ryman
Opryland Hotel/Grand Ole Opry

McKay’s is fun, though a bit of a drive west of town. Right off the interstate.

Enjoy Music City! I hope you get nice weather.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dmmetler said:

Nashville- Walk through the atrium at the Opryland hotel-my suggestion on this is to park at the very back of the mall parking lot, near the hotel employee parking, and walk to the hotel, because parking is extremely expensive. It's beautiful. And, if you're there when it's hot, cold, or raining, it's nicely climate controlled. 

Bicentennial park and Centennial park are both worth visiting.  

I don't know if they're open to just walk through now, but there are a ton of neat historical markers and buildings on the HBCU campuses. I haven't been in Nashville since COVID, though. 

And, no homeschooler can visit Nashville without going to McKay's books. Save space in your car 🙂

1 hour ago, busymama7 said:

We went to Nashville last year for spring break. It was absolutely amazing.  Highlights were:

Belle Mead plantation

Grand old Opry

Country music hall of Fame 

Mackay's used book store

Downtown Nashville and crossing the bridge etc.   

Those are not in order but I highly recommend all of it. 

1 hour ago, athena1277 said:

THIS!!!

39 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Nashville:

Cheekwood Botanical Garden
Belle Meade Plantation
The Parthenon
The Frist Center (art museum)

Country Music Hall of Fame and/or Johnny Cash Museum

Bluebird Cafe (if you can get tix)

The Ryman
Opryland Hotel/Grand Ole Opry

McKay’s is fun, though a bit of a drive west of town. Right off the interstate.

Duh! I forgot about McKays! Yes, op, do mckays! 

Nashville- as already mentioned, Country Music Hall of Fame (there's a joint ticket that buses you over to one of the recording studios and you can tour that as well), the Frist art museum whose,  exhibits IMO punch above its weight, the botanical garden, barbecue.  As a lifelong Yankee I can't say I understand Nashville's self declared status as Cowboy Boot Capital of the Nation (was there ever.... actual cattle ranching in the region??  the terrain seems implausible... ) but I did, in fact, actually find the boots that make my neighbors green with envy, there, so there you go.

And I'll put in a plug for the 21c Museum Hotel, a few blocks off the honky-tonk Broadway strip, which has (again, really excellent, and free) gallery exhibits on the first two floors and a really first class restaurant. It's a bit expensive, but even if you don't do a meal it's worth popping in for dessert or a drink.

I've never been to Huntsville but long to see US Space and Rocket; that's definitely on the bucket list.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

These suggestions are awesome, and the ones with parking/park and walk/combo things are especially helpful!

The kids are 15 and 19 and both love music, though one is not a fan of country music, lol! But he does like Johnny Cash and art, so there will be things for him. My parents are coming as well.

The last time we went to Nashville, they were little, and we mostly did things on the outskirts, including a walking history tour of Franklin (Franklin on Foot--it was excellent). 

19 hours ago, athena1277 said:

What kind of food issues are you dealing with? I can probably recommend some places.

Food issues--I am gluten free, and I don't tolerate citrus. I can finally eat tomatoes and peppers again within reason, so that makes a huge positive difference. 

19 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

Oh, I wouldn't have thought of that until it was likely too late (I don't have much time to plan this time around). Thanks! I actually have a list of history markers related to black history for the state from many years ago when we toured an AA history site in Franklin, but we didn't get to any in Nashville itself. 

18 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Me too! It will be early April. I have been in August, and that was really hot! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kbutton said:

These suggestions are awesome, and the ones with parking/park and walk/combo things are especially helpful!

The kids are 15 and 19 and both love music, though one is not a fan of country music, lol! But he does like Johnny Cash and art, so there will be things for him. My parents are coming as well.

The last time we went to Nashville, they were little, and we mostly did things on the outskirts, including a walking history tour of Franklin (Franklin on Foot--it was excellent). 

Food issues--I am gluten free, and I don't tolerate citrus. I can finally eat tomatoes and peppers again within reason, so that makes a huge positive difference. 

Oh, I wouldn't have thought of that until it was likely too late (I don't have much time to plan this time around). Thanks! I actually have a list of history markers related to black history for the state from many years ago when we toured an AA history site in Franklin, but we didn't get to any in Nashville itself. 

Me too! It will be early April. I have been in August, and that was really hot! 

My 20yo dd has Celiac disease, so I’m am well-versed in GF eating.  There is a great little place in Huntsville called Mason Dixon Bakery & Bistro.  Everything is GF.  They also have items without some other allergens.  Food is good and very safe.

Lawler’s BBQ has several locations and is really good.  Dd worked there last summer.  Even though there is bread, she never had a reaction.  She loves the stuffie tater or nachos with pulled pork.

If you need more eating out ideas, let me know.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, lauraw4321 said:

Also nice in Huntsville: Monte Sano State park and hiking trails

Although be warned that many of the Monte Sano park trails are steeper than they appear at first glance, lol. Maybe steep is not the right word;  lots of upping and downing that is hard on those from the flatlands. It's also a bit of a trek from Huntsville proper, about 20 minutes to the entrance, and the elevation, which most people would probably consider mild, was noticeable to us and had a bad effect on the blood pressure of the senior member of the party. 

Hunstville: 

• Lowe Art Mill; lots of things you'd expect, like stained glass, fiber arts, painting, and so on, but also stores that have stuff like huge adult coloring book collections, games, and RPG characters and landscapes. 
  • Pints & Pixels has a ton of retro arcade games if anyone is into that (and skee ball!). I know minors can be there at least some of the time, and possibly all of the time. 
  • Edgar's for takeout breakfast. Everything is good, and the challah french toast is amazing. 
  • Big Spring Park is downtown, right near the art museum and a lot of other things,  a great place to bring your take-out or just take a break. Pretty landscaping, fountains, small lake with ducks and koi. 
  • There are some fun Scavenger Hunts and Interest Trails. It's been a few years, but I will say that the shops on the Craft Coffee Trail that we tried had good coffee, but were really slow, with what I call a hipster-indifference to customer service, lol. If you just want a good cup of quick coffee, pick the places with a less artsy and/or hipster vibe. 

Downtown really has just about everything: good takeout food, museums, interesting shopping, outdoor plazas and parks. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, athena1277 said:

My 20yo dd has Celiac disease, so I’m am well-versed in GF eating.  There is a great little place in Huntsville called Mason Dixon Bakery & Bistro.  Everything is GF.  They also have items without some other allergens.  Food is good and very safe.

Lawler’s BBQ has several locations and is really good.  Dd worked there last summer.  Even though there is bread, she never had a reaction.  She loves the stuffie tater or nachos with pulled pork.

If you need more eating out ideas, let me know.  

We love Lawler's, too.

I have to add... if you want the OG north AL BBQ, make the drive over to Decatur and go to Big Bob Gibson's. The bbq baked potato is delish. Also, smoked chicken with white bbq sauce. Lawler's has those things, too. But Gibson's is the OG. 🙂 The Lawler's I go to doesn't have outdoor seating. Some locations might, but we always get it to go anyway. Not sure about Gibson's. 

Important note: Do NOT order ribs or brisket in N. Alabama. That is not what they are known for, and you will likely be disappointed. You want pulled (not chopped) pork and smoked chicken. Yes to slaw on the sandwich. 🙂 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1

Everything already mentioned about Huntsville and Decatur, plus if you're willing to drive about 60 miles north, you could also visit (among other cool things)

*the birthplace of Helen Keller (Ivy Green in Tuscumbia)

*the birthplace of WC Handy (Florence)

*the Rosenbaum Home, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (Florence)

*the birthplace of Jesse Owens (Danville)

These places are actually kind of between Nashville and Huntsville

Edited by Kidlit
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kidlit said:

Everything already mentioned about Huntsville and Decatur, plus if you're willing to drive about 60 miles north, you could also visit (among other cool things)

*the birthplace of Helen Keller (Ivy Green in Tuscumbia)

*the birthplace of WC Handy (Florence)

*the Rosenbaum Home, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright (Florence)

*the birthplace of Jesse Owens (Danville)

These places are actually kind of between Nashville and Huntsville

We are hoping to meet a friend halfway in addition to doing maybe two days in Nashville! 

• Like 1

The Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg, TN is really interesting--even if you don't drink whiskey. Just throwing that out there. It's actually very family friendly, too. Lynchburg is between Nashville and Huntsville--closer to Huntsville.

• Like 1

AccuWeather is showing mid-60s, give or take early April. It will probably be beautiful.

You can park for free at the Parthenon during the day but when we were there spots filled up (weekday) so maybe getting there around 10 am would be a safer bet.

About 1.5 miles from the Parthenon through Vanderbilt U is a Velvet Taco. You can get gluten free corn tortillas or a lettuce leaf instead of flour tortillas and they will customize if any allergies. Not sure if you’ve eaten at one but they have unique tacos, totchos and chips and dip. Velvet Taco has a hip, divey vibe and they play not-country music that would probably appeal to your sons. They also have an area outside where you can eat with maybe enough seating for 24 people. It gets busy around lunchtime and later at night. There is also a Velvet Taco at Assembly Food Hall but I think the Midtown one near the Parthenon has a better feel.

A warning about crossing streets: drivers do not seem to stop for people in the crosswalk! So be careful.

In Nashville the Sun Diner is right by the Johnny Cash Museum. It’s a popular place and might have good people watching as well. Probably not a ton of gluten free options but they might have something.

Whole Foods on the weekend has barbecued meats and other southern food. I’ve eaten at a lot of Whole Foods salad bars and the ones on the outskirts of Nashville, Hillsboro Pike in Nashville and McEwen Drive around Franklin, have been my favorite so far.

If you want to do a tour, I’ve read good things about the hop on and off trolley tours. They are about $40 pp, I believe, but are supposed to offer a lot of information.

• Like 1

Looks like no one's mentioned Hatch Show Print yet in Nashville...it shares a building with the Country Music Hall of Fame; we did and enjoyed both on our last trip (and you can buy a ticket that includes both), but like the Hatch Show Print tour more, I think. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2023 at 5:43 PM, kbutton said:

I don’t think this was mentioned, but if someone does a search, it’s worth mentioning Handel’s Homemade Ice Cream in Huntsville. Really tasty and good prices for the size of their products.

I messaged my ds to ask if he'd been there before. He messaged back that we had taken him 2 years ago. My memory isn't what it used to be. 🙃

• Like 1