Menu

March Well-Trained Bodies

Ali in OR

23 hours ago, Soror said:

Thank you for the article. The ibuprofen has worked the best of what I have tried. The tylenol alone didn't do much (nor did the Aleve but it gave me wicked heartburn). Tylenol with the Ibuprofen seems to increase the effectiveness of the ibuprofen when it's not enough- but perhaps that is in my head?

It's not in your head. My pain management doctor told me several years ago that combining the two is better than taking one or the other. I was surprised to find out how much relief I got when taking them together. Several studies have been done on the combination and many doctors are now recommending the combo. 

https://www.texasmedclinic.com/combining-tylenol-and-advil-to-reduce-fever-and-pain-in-children-and-adults/

From the article - (Re the last quote: It's probably cheaper to buy aceaminophen and ibuprofen separately. I haven't looked at the Advil brand combo but I wouldn't be surprised if it costs more per pill.)

"Often, those looking for pain relief assume they must choose one medication or the other when, in fact, it is possible to use both medications together as each is processed differently by the body—acetaminophen is processed through the liver while ibuprofen clears through the kidneys. Additionally, studies have indicated that, when combined correctly, acetaminophen and ibuprofen provide greater relief than when used independently of one another."

"Researchers have recently investigated just how powerful the combination of acetaminophen and ibuprofen are in managing pain in adults. Studies indicate that, when combined, the two offer an equal  level of pain relief as opioid narcotics."

"In March of 2020, the FDA approved the first over-the-counter acetaminophen and ibuprofen combination drug in the U.S. Labeled Advil Dual Action, the medication is currently available at drugstores and grocery markets and contains 125mg of ibuprofen and 250mg of acetaminophen per tablet."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

FB1.jpg.e282280f4e426f30c2ac8165bb8e518f.jpg 

This happened last week. 🙂 In my now two months of daily exercising, I've lost a whole 1 lb. 🙄 But I've also lost about 1" off the waist, so it's a start. The ever slowing metabolism as we age is so annoying. I was looking back at my FitBit stats of the last few years -- I wish I had stayed more consistent so I could have been maintaining now instead of just about starting over again. 

Just last week I changed up my weekly routine and this week will be my first full week of doing it. I'm doing C2 5k three days a week with a couple of dumbbell/ strength exercises. On the alternating 3 days, I've decided to go back to MuTu workouts. Every day is walking and a short bit of yoga stretching. Sundays I only walk and do some yoga. So far it seems doable. We'll see how March goes. I will probably changed things up again in 6 weeks or so since I tend to get bored with the same repetition. 😜

@Laura Corin I always love seeing your nature pictures!

@Lady Florida. Have fun in Greece! And thanks for the information about ibuprofen and acetaminophen. I never knew that and it might help some of dh's aches and pains.

Edited by Elfknitter.#
  • Like 11

I managed to get outside today, since I didn't have to drive to a radiation appointment this afternoon. We had a bit of snow last week, so it was a slog walking through six inches of heavy, wet snow. I think the effort it took to do that makes up for the shorter distance covered. 1.2mi in 30min. I am so glad treatment is done! I have radiation burn in my armpit and I think I will be holding off on weight lifting for a few days, at any rate. Any kind of stretching in the wrong direction is painful. 😕

• Like 11

Well, no, there was no additional walking or biking last night.

And I did not manage even my 4K morning goal this morning, let alone any strength and stretching or any meaningful evening walk. Honestly, this whole going-back-to-the-office thing is killing my routine. 

At the moment, while still trying to catch my breath following the vertigo recurrence and deal with the new work schedule and keep up with the middle-of-the-semester schoolwork, I'm lucky if I can walk 3K before showering and pulling myself together early enough to make it to work on time. 

It's driving me crazy -- tonight I nearly cried when I realized that I could no longer put off going to buy windshield wipers and had enough schoolwork to do that I wasn't going to be able to make time for more than a couple of times around the block with the dog after work -- but I'm trying to add it to my list of things I can't let myself focus on right now.

At the moment, my plan is to start backing up my alarm by 10-15 minutes every couple of days to gradually give myself more time in the mornings. It's not much, but it's all that feels manageable right now. 

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 446.3 of 500K
Activity Streak: 18

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

Whole lotta nothing yesterday, except walking across deep snow carrying pails of sap which was strenuous for about 10 minutes.  Today I've done my morning routine, will do a real pilates and walk some more.

• Like 9

February was mostly a loss for me. Being so overextended with college courses drained a lot from my muscle gains. And my housekeeping!

I did get some stretching/yoga/mobility stuff in here and there, so at least it’s not nothing.

Dh decided to start hitting the weights the other day, so I squeezed in a short lower body workout yesterday before my last finals. It’s technically not a competition, but I have to work 10x as hard as this guy. He can do 1 bicep curl and gain 5lbs of muscle. 😠 Not fair.

The scale has continued to move down, but I figure that’s mostly the lost muscle. Sigh.

I’m aiming to get back toward a manageable schedule for the second half of the semester.

• Like 10

It's Purim (Jewish holiday filled with obligations) and I scheduled two necessary doctor appointments for my DD and my DS2 has one so I'm driving like a chauffeur. And I'll be doing that throughout the day.

I squeezed in 15 minutes of running on the treadmill and a 10 minute lower ab workout that made me almost cry -when the halfway mark flashed on the screen I swear I'd been doing the exercises for decades already!  🤪

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

February was mostly a loss for me. Being so overextended with college courses drained a lot from my muscle gains. And my housekeeping!

I did get some stretching/yoga/mobility stuff in here and there, so at least it’s not nothing.

Dh decided to start hitting the weights the other day, so I squeezed in a short lower body workout yesterday before my last finals. It’s technically not a competition, but I have to work 10x as hard as this guy. He can do 1 bicep curl and gain 5lbs of muscle. 😠 Not fair.

The scale has continued to move down, but I figure that’s mostly the lost muscle. Sigh.

I’m aiming to get back toward a manageable schedule for the second half of the semester.

👏👏👏 I am in the same boat with you.

• Like 5

The cancer center has a 12 week program where they offer classes once a week. So, that is going to be my Tuesday thing for awhile. We spend about 30 min. doing cardio on some random machine (treadmill, elliptical, etc.), and then there is a class led by an instructor for stretching, some strength training,and whatever else he's showing us for 30 min. Every few weeks, I get a new routine to take home to do. We're supposed to bring in sheets marking down what exercises we did. I assumed they collected all this information because the cancer center is affiliated with a research school and it would be used in research, but apparently not. I guess it's just used to justify their existence, which I find somewhat disappointing.

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

It’s technically not a competition, but I have to work 10x as hard as this guy. He can do 1 bicep curl and gain 5lbs of muscle. 😠 Not fair.

I used to feel that way about losing weight. My husband would give up soda and drop 10 pounds while I cut every possible calorie and logged all my food and exercised like a maniac and maybe shaved off a pound or two. Maddening.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, knitgrl said:

The cancer center has a 12 week program where they offer classes once a week. So, that is going to be my Tuesday thing for awhile. We spend about 30 min. doing cardio on some random machine (treadmill, elliptical, etc.), and then there is a class led by an instructor for stretching, some strength training,and whatever else he's showing us for 30 min. Every few weeks, I get a new routine to take home to do. We're supposed to bring in sheets marking down what exercises we did. I assumed they collected all this information because the cancer center is affiliated with a research school and it would be used in research, but apparently not. I guess it's just used to justify their existence, which I find somewhat disappointing.

I'm sorry it's not more inspiring. Nonetheless, it sounds like an interesting way to break up the week, exercise-wise?

• Like 4

No better yesterday in terms of walking. I did a little over 2K in the morning with a very poky dog and another 1.5K in the evening with same poky dog.

I did go to yoga, which was nice, although I felt a little wobblier after the floor work than would have been ideal.

Walked just 2K again this morning, but today promises to be better because I'm doing a walking tour of one of the WDW parks as part of the training for my new job. They have warned us that they often walk as much as six miles on these days, so that should be nice. I will have to bow out of any rides they try to treat us to, because I don't want to risk getting things knocked out of whack in my head again, but I am definitely looking forward to the behind-the-scenes classes and the walking.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 451.6 of 500K
Activity Streak: 20

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I'm sorry it's not more inspiring. Nonetheless, it sounds like an interesting way to break up the week, exercise-wise?

My parents are both artists. Growing up, sports were definitely disdained. As an adult, that played out in my life in that I never exercised. I wasn't overweight. Why would I exercise? After I had dd13, I started jogging because baby weight was not coming off as fast as it did with my first pregnancy, but obstacles happened and I only sporadically kept up with it.

Enter cancer. I did enough research to convince myself completely that exercise is the very best thing I can do in terms of increasing the efficacy of treatment, as well as increasing my chances of it not coming back. I am also kind of a data nerd. So when I think about all the information the cancer center has on patients who don't exercise and those who do, and who does what and how much, it seems to me like it would be very useful for an ongoing study of some sort. And I really liked the idea of being part of a study that would help other convince other people that exercise correlates to better outcomes. Which apparently is not what they're doing with all that, so, oh well.

It is nice to have different equipment to use. The accountability is good for me, too. I tend to be all gung-ho for a good 5 months or so, and then peter out. But I do find the instructor less than inspiring. I'm sure his closest friends find him absolutely scintillating, but in the gym, he comes off as pretty bland.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, knitgrl said:

My parents are both artists. Growing up, sports were definitely disdained. As an adult, that played out in my life in that I never exercised. I wasn't overweight. Why would I exercise? After I had dd13, I started jogging because baby weight was not coming off as fast as it did with my first pregnancy, but obstacles happened and I only sporadically kept up with it.

Enter cancer. I did enough research to convince myself completely that exercise is the very best thing I can do in terms of increasing the efficacy of treatment, as well as increasing my chances of it not coming back. I am also kind of a data nerd. So when I think about all the information the cancer center has on patients who don't exercise and those who do, and who does what and how much, it seems to me like it would be very useful for an ongoing study of some sort. And I really liked the idea of being part of a study that would help other convince other people that exercise correlates to better outcomes. Which apparently is not what they're doing with all that, so, oh well.

It is nice to have different equipment to use. The accountability is good for me, too. I tend to be all gung-ho for a good 5 months or so, and then peter out. But I do find the instructor less than inspiring. I'm sure his closest friends find him absolutely scintillating, but in the gym, he comes off as pretty bland.

That's wonderful you have this exercise program to access! The cancer centre in my city doesn't. And you're so right, that exercise is proven to help increase the chances of it returning. 

• Like 4

I got my walk in today, but walking through snow that has started to thaw and then refrozen and then is presently thawing again is HARD. It definitely gives the ankles a workout. 1.1mi in 26min. I also did some exercises that the cancer center recommended.

• Like 7

Gyrotonics today. We worked hard! When I first started, we did a stool warmup, then arm circle thingeys, then legs. Today we did the warmup, plus the usual arm rotations, plus a set of movements with a "lollipop" insert in the bench, then legs, then abs. Sometimes we work on other apparatus in the room. There's definitely more to it than I knew. 

I keep meaning to really hit it hard with walking and biking and have not done so as I should. My goal is to do some walking or biking every day in addition to whatever else I do. I'm trying to ramp up to be as fit as possible for our trip in April.

• Like 8

On 3/8/2023 at 10:49 AM, Harriet Vane said:

@Soror Curious about your xray results and your pain?

Thanks for asking. I've just have a few minutes -- me having 2 insurances is causing issue but more I think it is because it is a NP. Sigh. First she told me we couldn't get approval because my x-ray didn't show anything ( PT told me after she left that wasn't true). Then she said she couldn't send the referral anyway because she's with my primary insurance. Then it was you just need the go to a neurosurgeon. Seems it was let's find any excuse. I'm sooo unbelievably pissed. I called my insurance and they say it is fine for her to do the pre-cert and send the orders, even though she isn't on my insurance. I need to call back to the clinic but I've got to cool off because I want to snap someone's head off. 

This week is much better than last. I think walking helps but I have to watch my stride. I have to take small steps.

(I thought I posted this yesterday but I guess I didn't hit submit)

• Like 4

I did a two hour hike over hard packed snow, plus morning routine. 

I have a question for those who know more about exercise.  When I'm hiking a mountain, why does stopping to catch my breath for longer help more, versus taking brief rest stops?  What I mean is, if I'm cruising along and stop for 20 seconds or so to breathe then keep going, I will have to stop again relatively soon.  If I stop and breathe until my breath is totally even and presumably my heart rate is more normal, then I can go for much longer until I need to do it again?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Soror said:

Thanks for asking. I've just have a few minutes -- me having 2 insurances is causing issue but more I think it is because it is a NP. Sigh. First she told me we couldn't get approval because my x-ray didn't show anything ( PT told me after she left that wasn't true). Then she said she couldn't send the referral anyway because she's with my primary insurance. Then it was you just need the go to a neurosurgeon. Seems it was let's find any excuse. I'm sooo unbelievably pissed. I called my insurance and they say it is fine for her to do the pre-cert and send the orders, even though she isn't on my insurance. I need to call back to the clinic but I've got to cool off because I want to snap someone's head off. 

This week is much better than last. I think walking helps but I have to watch my stride. I have to take small steps.

(I thought I posted this yesterday but I guess I didn't hit submit)

What she said is ridiculous. I’m sorry. The X-ray doesn’t show any bone injury. That’s what makes an MRI the next step. X-rays show bones and MRIs show soft tissue. There is no way to know about herniation without an MRI. That’s so very, very basic that I am questioning that doctor’s competence.

Can you take your X-rays to an orthopedic doctor and get the MRI set up? 

• Like 1

Wednesday was, indeed, a good day for walking. Between the behind-the-scenes stuff at WDW and pre- and post-work rambles with the dog, I actually met my step goal for the first time in nearly two weeks. Not sure whether to "yay" or "sigh" that one.

Did a little better yesterday than I have been most days recently. I at least broke 10,000 steps. Did no other exercise, however.

Today is my first official work-from-home day on the new job. (We're four days in the office, with Fridays at home.) I also didn't have to be on-site early for training. So, although it's not what I would have considered "done" for a regular morning before this transition, I feel good about having walked 3K with the dog and done a 20-minute upper body workout video before heading to my desk.

I have multiple assignments to finish for school before Sunday, including a couple of small things due tonight. However, I hope that without a commute taking time out of my day, I can squeeze in a solid second walk later.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 468.2 of 500K
Activity Streak: 22

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Wednesday was, indeed, a good day for walking. Between the behind-the-scenes stuff at WDW and pre- and post-work rambles with the dog, I actually met my step goal for the first time in nearly two weeks. Not sure whether to "yay" or "sigh" that one.

Did a little better yesterday than I have been most days recently. I at least broke 10,000 steps. Did no other exercise, however.

Today is my first official work-from-home day on the new job. (We're four days in the office, with Fridays at home.) I also didn't have to be on-site early for training. So, although it's not what I would have considered "done" for a regular morning before this transition, I feel good about having walked 3K with the dog and done a 20-minute upper body workout video before heading to my desk.

I have multiple assignments to finish for school before Sunday, including a couple of small things due tonight. However, I hope that without a commute taking time out of my day, I can squeeze in a solid second walk later.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 468.2 of 500K
Activity Streak: 22

Let’s go with YAY!!! You go, girl!!! I’m so glad the vertigo has improved so much. Glad also that you get a Friday re-set. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Weights and core at the gym today. I worked on two little additions today as well—adding in more 30-second aerobic bursts in between weight sets to keep my heart rate up, and also I worked a little more on lower body switching sides. So often when I work one side, then try to switch immediately to the other, I struggle with my balance. I think my hips or pelvis kinda swizzle over to the working side, and I’m able to correct it if I do a few squats before switching to the other side. So today I tried one exercise without the squats in between. It was way harder, but I feel like it will never get better if I don’t work on this.

• Like 7

Yesterday, it was in the upper 30s, so things were still melting, and walking was easier in a few spots, but mostly still hard. It was what I imagine walking through ankle-deep thick pudding might be like. I will miss it a little bit because it offers excellent resistance, and got my heart rate up much higher than normal. 1.4mi in 30min. Today we are getting a lot of snow. At least 4 inches so far. So that is what I was walking through today, which was easier, but I wasn't in the mood to work it, so 1.2mi in 30 min. If I can motivate myself, will do some cancer center exercises later this evening.

• Like 8

I am home after being at a conference the last few days. Friday was the only day I missed exercise completely. They had good food and nice salad options so I was able to keep my daily salad streak going and I skipped all of the tempting desserts. Wednesday through Friday were all long, hard days. Today I did a short-ish yoga. I'll catch up on home stuff this weekend and prep for next week which should be a lot less stressful than last week.

• Like 7

Okay, folks, I have a Really Great Plan but I am afraid I won't implement it, so I'm posting here first and will update later. Sometimes knowing that I proclaimed something to The Entire Internet helps me actually do what I said I would do.🤣

I am planning to ride the recumbent bike, then take a walk, then ride again. I find that at about 25 minutes on the recumbent bike, my legs are still going strong but my backside is falling asleep. The idea is to get a much longer stretch of aerobic exercise by varying it.

• Like 8

I did get out for a second walk yesterday evening, which was enough to push me just barely over 10,000 steps for the day. Still not my usual 15,000 goal, but more than I've managed a lot of days recently.

This morning, I got up with the best of intentions to take a nice, long walk and then do some exercise out on the patio. (My Saturday morning yoga teacher is still out of commission.) Doggo and I did walk about 4.25K, which seemed like a good start. However, I then did the math and remembered we had arranged to take our son out to lunch for his birthday, and I had neither made a card nor figured out a cute way to represent the money we had decided to gift him with. By the time I baked a big chocolate chip cookie (because I felt like baked goods were called for and he doesn't like cake), designed and printed a card and come up with a way to visually represent money . . . I almost had time to shower and get dressed.

Maybe tomorrow?

My husband and I are scheduled to go explore the Flower and Garden Festival at WDW tomorrow, which should net me a nice number of steps. Plan is to get up early enough to go for a decent walk (and maybe do some strength and stretching?) before we leave.

I have a little bit of schoolwork to finish up this evening so I can enjoy WDW tomorrow not worrying about the midnight deadline. After that, I'd love to walk some more while the excellent weather continues.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 477.1 of 500K
Activity Streak: 23

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Okay, folks, I have a Really Great Plan but I am afraid I won't implement it, so I'm posting here first and will update later. Sometimes knowing that I proclaimed something to The Entire Internet helps me actually do what I said I would do.🤣

I am planning to ride the recumbent bike, then take a walk, then ride again. I find that at about 25 minutes on the recumbent bike, my legs are still going strong but my backside is falling asleep. The idea is to get a much longer stretch of aerobic exercise by varying it.

Quoting myself to say I did it. 😎

• Like 7

Dh thought it would be a good idea to go hiking at a local park while we still have snow. So my walking today was a family hike. With kids in tow, we were not speedy, but the change of scenery was welcome. Almost 1.5mi in 43min. Also did some cancer center exercises.

• Like 8

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

Still getting daily dog walk in, and I'm playing mixed doubles 3 times this week - Fri, Sat and Sun. The first 2 went well, just one more to go!

@Laura Corin Great photos! You are so lucky to have all the green! The ground is still covered in a lot of snow here. 

It tried to snow this week, but all we got was tiny bouncing hail. Very cute.

Today - it will just be a quick walk. I need to finalise my job application so that one referee has time to put a letter in before shortlisting. 

• Like 7

20 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

You can do it!

On 3/9/2023 at 6:58 PM, Harriet Vane said:

What she said is ridiculous. I’m sorry. The X-ray doesn’t show any bone injury. That’s what makes an MRI the next step. X-rays show bones and MRIs show soft tissue. There is no way to know about herniation without an MRI. That’s so very, very basic that I am questioning that doctor’s competence.

Can you take your X-rays to an orthopedic doctor and get the MRI set up? 

IDK and at this point I'm worn out with everything.

I have a consult with my dr I see for my thyroid in a couple of weeks. 

I'm continuing to improve. I'm taking my little walks every day and 4 x daily ibuprofen. My mornings, which have been the worst have not been nearly as bad. I'm having nights without pain. I still can't reach my toes-- typically easy for me but when this started I could only reach my knees- I can reach near the bottom of my shins now. 

12 hours ago, knitgrl said:

Dh thought it would be a good idea to go hiking at a local park while we still have snow. So my walking today was a family hike. With kids in tow, we were not speedy, but the change of scenery was welcome. Almost 1.5mi in 43min. Also did some cancer center exercises.

What a wonderful idea. Kids do make it slower but it's worth it.

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

It tried to snow this week, but all we got was tiny bouncing hail. Very cute.

Today - it will just be a quick walk. I need to finalise my job application so that one referee has time to put a letter in before shortlisting. 

Best wishes on the job application.

@Jenny in Florida I'm glad to hear the vertigo is improving for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

As mentioned improvement keeps coming, slowly but surely. I'm trying to just keep moving and walking more (short steps).

I think PT honestly did me more harm and has prolonged this. I think she is used to workplace injuries. 

I'm very, very annoyed with them all. I'm still so pissed. Dismissive, worthless, POS. So, so pissed. 

Anyway, I'm aiming to walk every day and continue my ibuprofen until I am pain-free. I just ran out of gabapentin. My dad has some I can use if needed but I'm going to see how it goes without it. I don't think the NP can prescribe it for me. I can ask my thyroid dr as well if I find a major change without it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 4