Menu

March Well-Trained Bodies

Ali in OR

Headline: Florida Woman Meets Her Daily Step Goal

I required dropping the dog at home and going back out to walk on my own, and it didn't happen until nearly 9:00 last night, but I did it.

This morning, I walked a total of only 2.5K, with and without dog, but I'm not terribly worried about it, since my husband and I are headed out to EPCOT to explore the Flower & Garden Festival today. (You all know the joke about what EPCOT really stands for, right? "Every Person Comes Out Tired. It's notorious for requiring a lot of walking.)

I also did abut 15 minutes of random exercises. I noted when I tried to get down on the mat to start my usual routine that I started feeling a little woozy and decided it made more sense to stick to things I could do while standing up.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 485.5 of 500K
Activity Streak: 24

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Soror said:

As mentioned improvement keeps coming, slowly but surely. I'm trying to just keep moving and walking more (short steps).

I think PT honestly did me more harm and has prolonged this. I think she is used to workplace injuries. 

I'm very, very annoyed with them all. I'm still so pissed. Dismissive, worthless, POS. So, so pissed. 

Anyway, I'm aiming to walk every day and continue my ibuprofen until I am pain-free. I just ran out of gabapentin. My dad has some I can use if needed but I'm going to see how it goes without it. I don't think the NP can prescribe it for me. I can ask my thyroid dr as well if I find a major change without it. 

Soror, I’m so sorry to see you in such pain. I rejoice in the improvements and I pray for full healing and restoration. 

Be aware that gabapentin is one that needs a slow tapering off rather than an abrupt ending. You may experience some ups and downs this week both with your pain and with your emotions.

Gentle hugs for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Soror, I’m so sorry to see you in such pain. I rejoice in the improvements and I pray for full healing and restoration. 

Be aware that gabapentin is one that needs a slow tapering off rather than an abrupt ending. You may experience some ups and downs this week both with your pain and with your emotions.

Gentle hugs for you. 

Yes, I remember you saying that now. I'd asked the dr about that when she prescribed it. She said at the level she prescribed- 300 mg once a day- I wouldn't have to taper. I appreciate the reminder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Soror I'm so sorry you're going through this pain and frustration with your back and other body parts issues. I really hope you can get some relief and the health care professionals can descover the cause for your pain. 

I just finished off day 3 of my tennis. I have a day of rest, and then more tennis. It's spaced out a little better this week, thankfully! 

With the time change, it'll be lighter in the evening, so I'll be making a bigger effort to get out walking in the evening. 

• Like 6

Made my step goal again yesterday, with a combination of theme-parking and a short ramble with the dog.

The photo below is the best shot I got while exploring the butterfly pavillion at EPCOT.

I had to be on-site at 7:00 AM today, which made for a pretty early morning. Even getting out of bed at 4:30, I squeezed in only about 2K of walking and a 14-minute upper body workout video. Fortunately, the work day involved more walking around WDW, which meant I was close to 13,000 steps by the time I got home. A 30-minute wander with the dog was enough to put me over 15,000 for the day (third time in a row). 

So, that's good.

I backed up my alarm again in hopes I can extend the streak.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 499.6 of 500K
Activity Streak: 25

PXL_20230312_145226239.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Well, I did a little better this morning, walking 3.25K and doing 15 minutes of assorted dumbbell and stretching exercise. However, it was a relatively sedentary day at work, and even after walking a couple of kilometers with the dog when I got home, I'm only slightly over halfway to my daily step goal. I'm headed out to yoga in a few minutes and will try to squeeze in one more walk before bedtime, but it likely won't be enough to get me to 15,000 steps.

On the plus side, I met my seasonal distance goal this morning. Good thing, since the spring challenge starts on Thursday.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 504.2 of 500K
Activity Streak: 26

• Like 6

I've had a bit more pain the last 2 days (since I ran out of gabapentin) but I also had to ride/drive in the car over 3 hours. It's hard to tease apart. 

Yesterday I tried to bowl. I made it through one game with a lot of modifying but let the kids take my spot the next game. It's not an intense sport at all but the bending position is not good for me right now. I just did the best I could moving in ways that worked the best.

This morning I got in a walk (missed it yesterday due to having to leave early and getting home late). 

I have noticed my sleep has not been good since stopping the gabapentin. It had been so nice getting a good night's rest. Thank goodness it is spring break. I'm going to take some melatonin tonight. 

I did a 8 min core workout on Sunday- mostly deadbug stuff similar to what we'd worked on in PT. Deadbugs work fine. Bridges are a hit or miss. I can't lift very high and have to lower slowly. I just did a few of those. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

@Soror I'm sorry that you aren't able to get a good night sleep due to pain. Can you go back on the gabapentin if your OTC pain relief isn't enough. Glad you were able to get in at least a little bit of bowling and have some fun!!

My tennis this evening is cancelled due to the indoor courts flooded. We've got so much snow and it's melting quickly in certain places. At least I was able to get in a nice dog walk in the woods.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

@Soror I'm sorry that you aren't able to get a good night sleep due to pain. Can you go back on the gabapentin if your OTC pain relief isn't enough. Glad you were able to get in at least a little bit of bowling and have some fun!!

My tennis this evening is cancelled due to the indoor courts flooded. We've got so much snow and it's melting quickly in certain places. At least I was able to get in a nice dog walk in the woods.

Oh, I guess I wasn't clear. It isn't pain keeping me up. It's just that the gabapentin helps with sleep as a side effect. I have trouble with sleep off and on I'm pretty certain a lot to do with hormones because it's worse the second half of my cycle, which I'm in right now. I've had some increased pain in the day but as I said I also had a lot of driving yesterday. The pain is still not near as bad as it was previously. Last time I made the same trip I was in a terrible way for days, even with the gabapentin. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Soror said:

Oh, I guess I wasn't clear. It isn't pain keeping me up. It's just that the gabapentin helps with sleep as a side effect. I have trouble with sleep off and on I'm pretty certain a lot to do with hormones because it's worse the second half of my cycle, which I'm in right now. I've had some increased pain in the day but as I said I also had a lot of driving yesterday. The pain is still not near as bad as it was previously. Last time I made the same trip I was in a terrible way for days, even with the gabapentin. 

That's good your pain is much less. Hope your sleep improves!

• Like 2

I did end up meeting my step goal last night, but only by the skin of my teeth and by finishing up with pacing the living room. 

Pushed my alarm back to 4:50, which (even after being held hostage by a purring, attention-demanding cat for 10 minutes or so) allowed me to walk a little over 3K, do a 14-minute upper body workout video and still get to work by 7:45. Most of my co-workers in the new job are early birds, arriving in the office between 7:00 and 8:00, and skewing my work hours earlier does provide the benefit of minimizing commute time. 

I walked with the dog when I got home, hung out with the dog and cat for a bit while talking to my eldest (who had their first day on the new job today), then ventured out for another, solo walk to finish off today's step count. 

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 517.4 of 500K
Activity Streak: 27

• Like 6

Just had my thyroid Dr consult. I'm going to try the low dose naltrexone again - my markers are up and hopefully it will help with inflammation in my body. She also offered prozolone? Shots. I'll have to look those up. She will write me a scrip for the gabapentin if I want. I got a 30 day supply from my dad yesterday after 3 nights of not sleeping - pain was increased too (although still much better than it had been at it's worse to be clear). I'm not sure if that was due to so much riding or running out but I need sleep too so it's a win/win. Gotta walk in today and yesterday. 

• Like 8

I had to really put my mind to it, but I did make my step goal again yesterday, finishing off the Winter Warmup seasonal challenge. 

The Spring Start challenge began this morning.

The dog was just not into walking this morning, so I let her ramble slowly around the block, then dropped her off at home and went back out by myself. Able to move at my own pace, I logged a little over 3.5K in the time I had available. I also did a 15-minute walking with weights video.

So, still not back to what I was doing before the return to office life and the vertigo bout, but getting better.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 517.4 of 500K - Complete
Spring Start 2023 Challenge: 5.9 of 500K

Activity Streak: 28

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I had to really put my mind to it, but I did make my step goal again yesterday, finishing off the Winter Warmup seasonal challenge. 

The Spring Start challenge began this morning.

The dog was just not into walking this morning, so I let her ramble slowly around the block, then dropped her off at home and went back out by myself. Able to move at my own pace, I logged a little over 3.5K in the time I had available. I also did a 15-minute walking with weights video.

So, still not back to what I was doing before the return to office life and the vertigo bout, but getting better.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 517.4 of 500K - Complete
Spring Start 2023 Challenge: 5.9 of 500K

Activity Streak: 28

You go, girl! Steady progress is worthy of celebration. 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Still walking the dogs daily at the dog park and playing tennis about 3x/week. I had tennis last night and it was so much fun. Running around the court isn't as smooth as usual, though. My hips and hamstrings have been stiff and sore lately. I'm guessing it's from too much sitting at my desk and in front of the TV. I need to get in more movement throughout the day.

• Like 6

I had plans to do so well this month- join this thread and walk every day.  I failed- badly.  Not all my fault, I had a few issues and needed some Abx, and they have made me very lethargic and in a funk all week. I didn't eat well either- just haven't felt like it. Finally finished them, so hoping to turn this around the next 10 days.  

Today looks sunny- still kinda cold- so I'll try to walk this afternoon.   I've got to start my core stuff, too.  I need it for back pain relief!  

• Like 8

I had a work event yesterday that had me out walking a bit in the afternoon. I followed that up with the becoming-the-new-routine after-work walk with the dog, then finished off my steps with some shopping in the evening. 

This morning, the dog made it pretty clear she was not ready to get moving yet when I tried to rouse her. I ended up closing her crate and going out for a walk by myself, which was actually great, since I was able to get myself going and moving at a brisker pace. I logged about 3.25K, then came back inside. By that time, she was perkier and happy to go around the block with me. 

No clue whether this will continue to be her preference, but it was good for me. 

I didn't have time for a lot of additional exercise, but did the same 14-minute upper body video I did earlier this week before I had to settle into work. (My new job is Monday-Thursday in the office, Friday work from home.)

I'm on the hunt for another local yoga class, because my regular Saturday morning instructor is not ready to come back yet and I truly miss the twice a week thing. I still need a very gentle style and a teacher who understands and can accommodate my assorted limitations. But I'm starting to look around for options.

Today has otherwise been more sedentary than yesterday, meaning I have about half of my daily steps still to do. I'm about to head out (with pup, if she's interested) for the post-work walk, but I may need to do more to meet my goal before bedtime. 

Spring Start 2023 Challenge: 9.5 of 500K
Activity Streak: 29

• Like 6

I’ve decided to stop the Zumba & hip hop classes and return to the same night aqua fit classes instead. Dance is just too hard on my back. But I’m really going to miss them.

Now that spring is on the way I can get back to walking outside and biking.
Going to try yoga at the Y in addition to yoga at home. Since I’m a member all classes are free and drop in.
Might be brave and check out the Pilates and still haven’t forced myself to try spin yet 😉

• Like 7

I traveled for several days and walked all the time! Tons of steps. Yesterday I had my personal training session. I really am enjoying getting stronger. It does feel good. I had a hard time getting started with weights, but now I really do enjoy them and the rewards. 
The weather is cold here, might try a walk later. I’ve been pretty lazy with regular movement since I got back. 

• Like 7

It took the after-work, with-pup walk and one more solo to do it, but I made my step goal again yesterday.

Today's not looking promising, but we'll see how much energy and determination I can muster.

Did only a short walk this morning, because my husband and I had plans to go out and I had trouble forcing myself out of bed as early as I had planned. We did wander an art festival, which was fun but did not net me as many steps as I had hoped. 

Then I came home and took a nap.

I plan to head out for another walk soon, but I have more than half of my steps yet to go. So, that's not great.

Spring Start 2023 Challenge: 18.3 of 500K
Activity Streak: 30

• Like 5

It's been a long time since I checked in here. Life is very busy, stressful, and might include some big changes soon. Unfortunately, one of those changes is that the exercise videos I have used for 10ish will no longer be free to watch. 

So I am looking at other options. FWIW, I use BBM for strength training and cardio. I throw in The Body Project and walk at home type videos often enough to keep things from getting stale for me. Things I like about BBM include that the workouts are short (I just run through each one 2 or 3 times, depending on time/energy) and that it's planned out for me.

I very much like that it's explicit at the beginning of each workout what you will be doing (so 10 different exercises for 1 min. each, with 20 seconds of rest between, or 5 exercises for 1 min. each with no rest between, then a 40 second rest, and then repeat, and the specific exercises are listed.) I really like knowing exactly what is coming. 

Also, there is no music, which I also like. 

I haven't been able to find anything comparable. Any ideas from all the experts here?

• Like 5

I did make my step count yesterday, although it took an evening walk and some time on the stationary bike to make it happen. 

Started this morning with my first full 4K walk since the vertigo episode, then logged another couple of kilometers walking the trails at a local park with a friend. By the time I got home, I had about 4,000 steps left, which I knocked out by letting the dog take me for a walk. 

Back to the office tomorrow, so we'll see whether I can keep up the 4K+ mornings.

Spring Start 2023 Challenge: 35.6 of 500K
Activity Streak: 31

• Like 6

Still trying to get back to an even keel.  I'm managing to walk most days but everything else has been hit or miss. I have ten days until my 60th birthday,  and I need to take myself in hand so I feel good for that. 

Last night I hauled Mum's boxes out of my study - heavy symbolism alert - and did yoga before bed.

I managed sun salutations this morning and added in some balance  - my lack of yoga recently has really seen balance deteriorate. I walked first thing too, and am about to do some lower body weights work.

Healthy eating recently but just a bit too much.

• Like 7

On 3/18/2023 at 10:04 PM, barnwife said:

It's been a long time since I checked in here. Life is very busy, stressful, and might include some big changes soon. Unfortunately, one of those changes is that the exercise videos I have used for 10ish will no longer be free to watch. 

So I am looking at other options. FWIW, I use BBM for strength training and cardio. I throw in The Body Project and walk at home type videos often enough to keep things from getting stale for me. Things I like about BBM include that the workouts are short (I just run through each one 2 or 3 times, depending on time/energy) and that it's planned out for me.

I very much like that it's explicit at the beginning of each workout what you will be doing (so 10 different exercises for 1 min. each, with 20 seconds of rest between, or 5 exercises for 1 min. each with no rest between, then a 40 second rest, and then repeat, and the specific exercises are listed.) I really like knowing exactly what is coming. 

Also, there is no music, which I also like. 

I haven't been able to find anything comparable. Any ideas from all the experts here?

I like Caroline Girvan's workouts- she tells you sets/rests/times at the beginning and the description on YouTube lists the exericses in the workout. There is music but no talking. Workout times vary- a lot around the 30 min but some shorter and some longer. I've not done BBM so I can't compare. I've tried a few other YT'ers but I can't think of any that don't have music and since I've not done BBM I can't compare the intensity or style. Honestly, if you love the BBM I'd be looking for what else to cut out in the budget to afford it. I know it's hard when you get used to one person's style to switch it up. 

31 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Still trying to get back to an even keel.  I'm managing to walk most days but everything else has been hit or miss. I have ten days until my 60th birthday,  and I need to take myself in hand so I feel good for that. 

Last night I hauled Mum's boxes out of my study - heavy symbolism alert - and did yoga before bed.

I managed sun salutations this morning and added in some balance  - my lack of yoga recently has really seen balance deteriorate. I walked first thing too, and am about to do some lower body weights work.

Healthy eating recently but just a bit too much.

(hugs) Laura you've had a lot happen in the last several months. 

12 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

Yesterday I jumped on my rebounder, and then put on DH’s 30 pound weighted vest and ran in place on it. Not sure the point of that? But it was something different😀 Today I played indoor pickleball for a couple hours. 

I would think that would be great for bone strength and switching things up adds to the excitement.

On 3/18/2023 at 9:04 PM, Harriet Vane said:

I took a day of rest today (as regards exercise--not much rest on housework, though, LOL). Yesterday's workout was pretty heavy, and I am just sore today. My goal is to hang on the teeter board before bed and then tomorrow plan for one of my double sessions on the recumbent bike. 

LOL well a nice 'rest' day is good for you, especially with as hard as you've been working.

On 3/18/2023 at 7:45 PM, lynn said:

Just checking in for accountability.  Keeping up with walks and stretching.  Very cautiously getting back into my  lifting schedule with very light weights.  I'm hoping to work up to my normal weights in a few weeks.

Glad to see you are having improvement.

On 3/18/2023 at 7:44 AM, Hilltopmom said:

I’ve decided to stop the Zumba & hip hop classes and return to the same night aqua fit classes instead. Dance is just too hard on my back. But I’m really going to miss them.

Now that spring is on the way I can get back to walking outside and biking.
Going to try yoga at the Y in addition to yoga at home. Since I’m a member all classes are free and drop in.
Might be brave and check out the Pilates and still haven’t forced myself to try spin yet 😉

That stinks that the zumba and hip hop are too much for you. Try the pilates maybe it will be something new to enjoy!

On 3/17/2023 at 1:01 PM, BusyMom5 said:

I had plans to do so well this month- join this thread and walk every day.  I failed- badly.  Not all my fault, I had a few issues and needed some Abx, and they have made me very lethargic and in a funk all week. I didn't eat well either- just haven't felt like it. Finally finished them, so hoping to turn this around the next 10 days.  

Today looks sunny- still kinda cold- so I'll try to walk this afternoon.   I've got to start my core stuff, too.  I need it for back pain relief!  

Sorry you felt poorly 😞 It's a new week, full of p 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

As of yesterday, I have walked every day for 2 weeks, except for one (last Monday when I overslept due to the time change and was gone all day). I averaged 9k steps a day last week. At my worst, I probably only made it to 5k a day but I honestly didn't look much because I found it too depressing.

I'm tentatively adding back in exercise. I'm cautiously trying out different things to see what I can do.

Dh and I took a 2 mile hike yesterday. It was supposed to take an hour but took us 1.5 hours. It is a rough trail but a lot was just that I can't walk very fast (although 2 miles on the pavement is faster than that). It was very nice to get out and move my body and the scenery was lovely.

Today: walk - around 2ish miles

15 min biceps + 15 min core (deadbugs and variations)

I think I'll try pickleball this week if it lines up with my schedule. My pain is much lessened and my movement keeps improving, even if it is a long way from normal. I'm still being very slow and cautious with everything because I know I still have a ways to go and I dont' want to mess up my progress. So far I haven't had any setbacks.

My hormones are whack. The joy of perimenopause. When they checked them in Jan they were fine but this month I had a 20 day cycle. So fun. Some months it will be long, some short and then some back to regular. It's always a surprise. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Soror said:

I like Caroline Girvan's workouts- she tells you sets/rests/times at the beginning and the description on YouTube lists the exericses in the workout. There is music but no talking. Workout times vary- a lot around the 30 min but some shorter and some longer. I've not done BBM so I can't compare. I've tried a few other YT'ers but I can't think of any that don't have music and since I've not done BBM I can't compare the intensity or style. Honestly, if you love the BBM I'd be looking for what else to cut out in the budget to afford it. I know it's hard when you get used to one person's style to switch it up. 

Okay, I'll check her out. I am definitely trying to work BBM into the budget. I will almost certainly be taking advantage of her offer of 3 discounted months, but we will need to see after that. I truly do believe that people like her should be compensated for their work if that's what they want. Add in that I have enjoyed using it off and on for probably 10 years now, so it's only fair. But sadly, our budget might be extra, extra tight coming up and we will have to see.

• Like 2

The dog seems to be pretty insistent about not getting up and out the door as early as I need to in order to walk and exercise before work, which is working out fine. This morning, I headed out and left her contentedly dozing in her crate, walked about 3.5K on my own at my own pace, then collected her for a slow ramble for the remaining .5K. I still had time for only about 15 minutes of additional exercise, so I did the short upper body workout video I did a couple of times last week.

Lulu pup was extremely ready to go for a walk when I got home from work, however, and we logged a slow but pleasant 2.75K. This leaves me about 1500 steps to finish off my daily goal. I have some schoolwork I need to knock out, and I need to make it an early night because I have an early morning meeting tomorrow, but it should be achievable to do one more quick walk or some time on the stationary bike at some point before bedtime.

Spring Start 2023 Challenge: 42.5 of 500K
Activity Streak: 32

• Like 5