Menu

March Well-Trained Bodies

Ali in OR

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

It's been really nice weather the last few days, and I was getting in a lot of dogs walks and enjoying the sunshine and longer daylight in the evenings. I was also feeling much better mentally and seemed to be emerging from the "funk" or "mini-depression" I've been in since mid-Feb. Then right before heading out for a walk this evening we suddenly get hit with a snow storm with white-out conditions. 🥶  Luckily it didn't last more then an hour. It coated the ground with snow and iced up the roads and sidewalks, but I still managed to get my walk in.

I'm definitely going to change my user name. I just don't connect with the "winter" part of the name anymore. 😅

LOL I'm sorry to hear you've been in a funk. I hope this is the start of coming out of it for you.

10 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I'm a little behind in reporting in as my niece has been visiting this week. Busy-busy-busy! I was still recovering from my cough at the beginning of the week and have been easing back into exercise cautiously so as not to start coughing again. Yesterday niece and I went to a local conservatory and then walked around the park and grounds after. Today I started off at the gym with weights and core, then we went to the zoo. So much walking. My knees and feet are killing me, but it's good to be exercising properly once again. 

Enjoy the visit. I'm glad you are inching better.

1 hour ago, Eos said:

I did a HIIT video for the first time ever and I liked the way it made me feel.  I didn't like the presenter so might not do that same one again. Walking/hiking each day this week has felt great.

Hooray for trying new things. 

• Like 5

I don't remember when I posted.

I skipped one day of walking but have hit every day otherwise. 

I'm doing some yoga for sciatica. I can sit on the floor without a block and without pain so that is big progress. 

I'm doing some upper body strength training- aiming for 2-3 times a week.

I did a glute activation workout the other day and think I'll hit it again this week. It is about the level I need right now for lower body as still so much I can't do. I am doing some low impact cardio a few times a week too.

Today will be--

walk/ strength of some sort and short yoga for sciatica

I'm still rather stressed and anxious about work (having clients of my own and worrying about screwing something up and building rapport) but it will get better. Yesterday I got 2 new clients. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Soror said:

I'm doing some yoga for sciatica. I can sit on the floor without a block and without pain so that is big progress. 

I did a glute activation workout the other day and think I'll hit it again this week. It is about the level I need right now for lower body as still so much I can't do. I am doing some low impact cardio a few times a week too.

Today will be--

I'm still rather stressed and anxious about work (having clients of my own and worrying about screwing something up and building rapport) but it will get better. Yesterday I got 2 new clients. 

All your physical activity sounds excellent! Great work and patience getting to this level. It's been a long, hard winter for you.

Re: work anxiety. I've been at my job for 2 years and I still feel like I'm learning new things (that I can mess up) all the time. I've also never seen any of my work colleagues in person. It's all via Zoom or Teams. It's much tougher to build up rapport this way. The few in-person interviews I've done, I've noticed it's so much quicker to build that rapport with people. Hope you feel more confident as you gain experience. I'm sure you're doing great!! ☺️

• Like 4

We are back after a little spring break trip down to CA to see our two daughters living down there. We were in the Monterrey Bay area and also a very rainy day in San Francisco. Two long days of driving but walking for exercise on the other three days and I managed to keep my daily salad streak going. Back home now and will do some school prep work. Did my 33 min dumbbell workout this morning.

Monterrey Bay.jpeg

• Like 7

20 hours ago, wintermom said:

It's been really nice weather the last few days, and I was getting in a lot of dogs walks and enjoying the sunshine and longer daylight in the evenings. I was also feeling much better mentally and seemed to be emerging from the "funk" or "mini-depression" I've been in since mid-Feb. Then right before heading out for a walk this evening we suddenly get hit with a snow storm with white-out conditions. 🥶  Luckily it didn't last more then an hour. It coated the ground with snow and iced up the roads and sidewalks, but I still managed to get my walk in.

I'm definitely going to change my user name. I just don't connect with the "winter" part of the name anymore. 😅

I'm sorry about the funk, but glad to hear it's lifting a bit. Do you use a SAD light? Husband finds his useful. 

9 hours ago, Soror said:

Today will be--

That sounds like a lot of progress.

I woke early without trying and managed 25 minutes of yoga before work. That felt good. I noticed that planks were easier, presumably due to my weights work.

I feel as if something may have lifted a bit. I'm enjoying striding into my 61st year.

Only very minimal walking today, including an abortive trip to see if the Northern Lights would visit us.

• Like 7

Not sure when I last posted. It's been kind of a week for me -- busy with school and work, not sleeping well (or enough) and feeling like it's taking far too much effort to keep my head above water emotionally. 

I missed making my daily step goal both Monday and Tuesday, but did okay yesterday and am on track to make it today (fewer than 500 steps to go). I still haven't managed more than about 15 minutes a day of anything besides walking. This morning, I did only 10 and was still later than I wanted to be for work. 

In a burst of possibly unwarranted enthusiasm, I registered for a half-marathon at WDW in November. It's still walker friendly, but I have never done anything near that long at pace. (Oh, and, since I am apparently a glutton for punishment, I signed up to do the two-course challenge, meaning I will walk a 10K the day before.) And, having fallen off the exercise bandwagon as much as I have the last couple of months, I'm already noticing I have less stamina than I did not very long ago. I really need to get serious about training, but I feel like I'm only barely finding time to breathe right now. The only potential saving grace is that the event isn't until November and, since I will not be taking classes over the summer, I may have a couple of months (over the hottest time of the year here in fabulous Florida) to try and get prepped. 

In the meantime, it's just the new usual: trying for at least 4K of walking every morning, followed by as much strength/stretching as I can squeeze in before leaving for work. Yoga on Tuesday evenings. (My Saturday morning teacher is still on break.) A slow ramble with the dog after work and, when it is necessary to make my step goal and I have time and energy to do so, another walk or some time on the stationary bike in the evening. 

Spring Start 2023 Challenge: 126.9 of 500K
Activity Streak: 42

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I'm sorry about the funk, but glad to hear it's lifting a bit. Do you use a SAD light? Husband finds his useful. 

I haven't used a SAD light, though I did intentionally get daily outdoors during daylight hours all winter. I also take vit D daily. I'll have to take additional measures to counter-act the winter blues next year. I have plans and money saved for another vacation in Costa Rica!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I haven't used a SAD light, though I did intentionally get daily outdoors during daylight hours all winter. I also take vit D daily. I'll have to take additional measures to counter-act the winter blues next year. I have plans and money saved for another vacation in Costa Rica!!

Husband's trip to Barcelona in February energised him, for sure.

He gets out every day too but doesn't feel as if the low winter light quite works for him.

• Like 3

Ladies doubles tennis was a lot of fun yesterday, and I was playing well (and lucky)! I swear that there is some invisible "wheel of fortune" that determines when most of your tennis shots go in or most of them go out! 😅 I can see why some pro athletes are supersticious. There is always that wee bit of sport that can only be explained by chance. 

• Like 7

I was going to try to walk today for the first time since having covid- but got out of breath just going downstairs to do the laundry, so I think I’ll skip the gym. At least going to do done gentle yoga. Keep getting heart palpitations too (not new for me but increased by covid).

so annoyed.

• Sad 7