Menu

March Well-Trained Bodies

Ali in OR

@Soror That is so great to hear you're able to walk everyday and hike!! It must feel so good!

@Laura Corin  Happy 60th birthday!!! The years have flown by on this forum. I still had you at 57 in my mind and I was quickly catching up to you. 😉 Have a great day!!

I'm still getting daily walk(s) with the dogs, and playing tennis a few times a week. I can't wait for the snow to melt away. I'm finding it very depressing to have such high snow drifts, but at least we're getting lots of sunshine. It's only a matter of time know. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I got hit with a head cold last week. All I was mostly able to do was get my walking in. When I felt a little better I did some weights. I got a short run in and some yoga on Friday. But my schedule is all out of whack. It's going to rain for the next 2 days, so it looks like MuTu and yoga will be as much as I can get in with my walking. Hopeful that by next week I'll be getting back to regular c2 5k. It's always hard for me to get back into running after a week of not doing it.

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Ugh, half my class has covid and 3/4 adults in my classroom. Plus me, One of my own kids and now my husband too. 
I’m so aggravated. There go the rest of my sick days. Today is day one for me and I haven’t left the couch yet 😞

I'm sorry, that stinks.

I had a better day today - sun salutations and tree pose first thing, then a good walk at lunchtime.

• Like 8

Yesterday- short dog walk. 
Today I wore the weighted vest out for my long walk. Oh my! That was tough. I had to ditch it after three miles. Hoping no one steals it. I think it’s a little heavy for me and not fitted properly. So, I’ll have to figure something out before I try that again. 

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

my husband too

Sadly my dh also, after three years of warding it off.

Today was my morning routine then a long walk on roads since the woods are now just heavy slush.  I like seeing nature from town and roads, it's still here with us.  Saw a flock of young turkey hens, some turkey vultures migrating back in, and coyote scat.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

I finished off yesterday's "steps" with about 15 minutes on the stationary bike before an early bedtime. 

Woke up at 4:00 to have time for a walk (4K) and a short (15-minute) exercise session before leaving for an early work meeting. Work involved walking all over two WDW parks, including climbing up and down stairs in various backstage areas. I met my 15,000-step goal by about 2:00 PM.

The dog requested her regular after-work walk when I got home (another 1K+). And I'll finish off the day with yoga class in a little bit.

Spring Start 2023 Challenge: 51.4 of 500K
Activity Streak: 33

• Like 10

Still coughing and sick, but I did a gentle workout. 30 minutes on the recumbent bike at an easy/low pace, then some light arm weights, then another 25 on the bike. I kept it all low to not breathe hard and not cough, and I actually think the movement cleared my sinuses, so that’s a good thing.

• Like 9

@Harriet Vane and @Hilltopmom I'm sorry you are both sick 😞 Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Today: 40 min - 10 core/10 min low impact cardio/10 min upper body/10 min lower body (with bands) + 2 miles walk

I did some Heather Robertson videos this morning. She has a 30-day 10 min series. I could do most of the exercises in the workouts. Things that are one leg are mostly out- I can't hardly stand with all my weight on my bad side. A lot of yoga is out because it's so much bending over and/or stretching out the back of my legs. But I can do slow and controlled movements with lighter weights. I can do many things on my back and a whole lot standing up. I'm feeling better and better. 

My nerves are really on edge. I have started my first case. So I'm very, very nervous and it didn't help that the meeting time got changed 3 times and ended up being last minute yesterday and I barely had time to get the forms filled out and printed. One of the ladies has been saying for ages that she would show me the paperwork but she hasn't - she's finally meeting me today. Thank goodness one of the ladies had a sheet that told me all I needed and I was told last week how to find the forms. Our laptops are incredibly old and were set up by idiots. It is entirely way too complicated and painfully slow. One thing at a time and doing my best here 🙂

• Like 9

I managed 2 tennis sessions pretty well yesterday, and both were a lot of fun. I'm feeling a little more stiff and sore today, but nothing unexpected. More tennis tomorrow, and then on Sunday, so lots of rest in between.

The dog walks in the woods are getting slushy as the snow melts, but I'm thrilled to feel the sun and warm of springtime!

• Like 10

Took a decent walk this morning, following the new routine of letting the dog sleep while I head out alone first. I logged a total of a little over 4K. The only other exercise I had time for was a very short abs video

I allowed the dog to steer me to the dog park on our after-work walk, which brought me within a couple thousand steps of today's goal. I'll probably knock that out with some stationary bike time before bed.

Tomorrow is another day of wandering WDW parks for work, although fortunately not for quite as long -- and not starting quite as early -- as yesterday. That should be good for a decent number of steps, though.

Spring Start 2023 Challenge: 59.1 of 500K
Activity Streak: 34

• Like 9

Ugh. I barely did anything last week because A)Two days with medical appointments in the city. B)Dd13 had an award event on Saturday + activity afterward w/ extended family. C) Yet another medical appointment in the city on Monday. D) I am still plain old tired. And E) My stupid foot is still a bit swollen and I don't want to do a lot of walking that will make it worse. 😠 No medical appointments today, so I did manage to do some cancer center exercises. On the up side, I have felt fairly energetic all day.

Edited by knitgrl
  • Like 9
  • Sad 1

I decided I like the 20 min Fitbymik dumbbell workout I found on YouTube so I searched for a 15 min one today (guilty of taking too much quiet time over mocha this am) and found one by her for arms and abs. They aren't too tough or too long--I think I'll search out more by her.

• Like 10

Guess I got back into things after my unintended week off a bit hard with my Tuesday MuTu workout since my muscles were really sore yesterday. (Me and lunges just don't seem to mix. 😣) So I wound up sleeping through my exercise time before work this morning and figured that's what my body needed more. Today is looking like walks during my work breaks and maybe some yoga for sore muscles. Tomorrow will be back to c2 5k.

• Like 10

As planned, I rode the stationary bike for about 20 minutes last night to finish off the day's steps.

Started this morning with a 4.25K walk. I skipped additional exercise because I was tired and short on time. I logged some more steps at work this afternoon, let the dog take me for a walk when I got home and then topped off with 15 minutes on the stationary bike.

Spring Start 2023 Challenge: 76.2 of 500K
Activity Streak: 35

• Like 9

Still so sick with this wretched cough. Did nothing yesterday. Today I was lured outside by the fresh air and warmer temperatures, but I had barely gotten started when it rained and I had to hurry back. Hurrying was rough with the cough, so I gave up on exercising. Bummed because no gyrotonics either. It's a highlight every week and I hate to miss it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 7

I played ladies doubles tennis for 2 hrs after dinner. I got some good running in, as my partner didn't move after the ball. I covered a lot of the court, and she just hit the ball extremely well when it was within her reach. It worked out well, as I do enjoy running around. 😉 

It was raining all day, so no dog walk except for a very short one after tennis. 

• Like 8

It’s been an off few days for me. Other than dog walks, not much exercise unfortunately. I’m not feeling great and skipped my training session today. That’s not good. Hopefully I’ll do some home workout today though. My muscles need to work. 
I did do some more research on my weighted vest walk, and then into rucking. It does seem really good for leg muscles and resistance type training. I was surprised how my legs felt the next day. I think that could really be a great addition to my routine. I love to walk and getting some weight training type benefit out of it would be a big plus! So I need to get the vest thing worked out. I think I’d prefer that to a backpack personally. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Toocrazy!! said:

It’s been an off few days for me. Other than dog walks, not much exercise unfortunately. I’m not feeling great and skipped my training session today. That’s not good. Hopefully I’ll do some home workout today though. My muscles need to work. 
I did do some more research on my weighted vest walk, and then into rucking. It does seem really good for leg muscles and resistance type training. I was surprised how my legs felt the next day. I think that could really be a great addition to my routine. I love to walk and getting some weight training type benefit out of it would be a big plus! So I need to get the vest thing worked out. I think I’d prefer that to a backpack personally. 

Interesting info. I've only done a bit of backpacking. I looked into the rucking just a hair when we saw some people on the trail doing it. I also looked into a weighted vest as an easier way to do some resistance training (easier than having to hold dumbbells for some moves) but I've not used one.

13 hours ago, Eos said:

Today was horribly stressful and I did nothing to exercise but will jump back in tomorrow.  So glad this day is over.

Some days are like that. May today be a good day for you.

13 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Still so sick with this wretched cough. Did nothing yesterday. Today I was lured outside by the fresh air and warmer temperatures, but I had barely gotten started when it rained and I had to hurry back. Hurrying was rough with the cough, so I gave up on exercising. Bummed because no gyrotonics either. It's a highlight every week and I hate to miss it.

Ugh, I'm sorry, that sounds miserable.

12 hours ago, wintermom said:

I played ladies doubles tennis for 2 hrs after dinner. I got some good running in, as my partner didn't move after the ball. I covered a lot of the court, and she just hit the ball extremely well when it was within her reach. It worked out well, as I do enjoy running around. 😉 

It was raining all day, so no dog walk except for a very short one after tennis. 

Sounds like a good partner for you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

After several great days with lots of improvement in my sciatica yesterday was not a great day. Now, could that just be the ebb and flow of such things- the fact that I sat on the couch some (I'm kept off for 2.5 months), lots of stress and driving this week, or the 10 min lower body workout I tried--- who knows. It was not nearly as bad as previous bad days just not as good as it had been. I think I can expect it won't be entirely linear but I'm going to be mindful and not try the lower body workout again for awhile. (even though I took it very, very easy and kept it short)

Today is better-- it helps that I slept better than the last 2 nights (I was stressed about getting my first case). I'm still anxious but not nearly as anxious. I also have some easier days after way too much busyness. 

Yesterday-- just a quick walk -- took a break from exercise as I was incredibly busy and hurting more.

This am-- low impact cardio from Heather Robertson--- 22 min

This was pretty good I didn't have to modify very much. I'm trying to get my heart rate up but with my limitations it's hard BUT at least I'm moving.

Getting ready for a walk. It's icky out and after so much going and going I just want to hole up in the house so I'm going to get a short walk in and call it good. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 9

We're supposed to have a big snowfall later today, so I'll walk the dogs before that begins. Then I may actually dust off my skis and go for a ski. I haven't skied all winter. With the limited park time, that is prioritized for dog walking, and the poor skiing conditions, I've been doing other things. In all honesty, playing indoor tennis has been so delightful that I haven't missed skiing. It's nice to mix things up a little, too. ☺️

• Like 7

Yesterday: Walked a little over 4K in the morning, just a short jaunt with the dog in the afternoon, then a little over 5K of walking in the evening, followed by about 10 minutes on the stationary bike just to get me over the daily goal.

So far today: Walked about 3.75K before it started raining on us. Then did about 30 minutes of yoga via YouTube.

Not sure what the rest of the day holds. I'm meeting a friend tonight, which means I may not have time for much of an evening walk.

Spring Start 2023 Challenge: 92.1 of 500K
Activity Streak: 37

• Like 7

This has been a better week.  I walked almost every day, completed my weekly weights and managed Kegels,  sun salutations and balances around four times. I had a good brisk walk amid snow flurries today. I would like to fit in some yoga, but I'm tired and full tonight. I'll attempt an early bedtime and maybe do yoga first thing.

We are hoping to walk up our favourite glen this week, either on Wednesday or Saturday. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 7

So, yesterday evening was a loss. In the afternoon, I napped, made my lunches for the upcoming week, then went out to meet up with my friend. We ended up going out for a snack and chat time after the reading, which meant I didn't get home until after 11:00. I ended up with only about 9,000 steps for the day, but I'm trying not to beat myself up about it.

Managed only a short walk this morning, for a bunch of reasons, including a close encounter with the critted in the attached photo. The dog and I found him making his way across the street and decided to stand watch until he was more or less out of danger. And by the time I felt okay about leaving him on his own, I was warm and cranky and ready to be done with walking. 

I did go out on a tour of gardens in some historic downtown homes this afternoon, which was lovely but also honestly too warm for comfort. I'm currently a little over halfway to my daily step goal, but I need a good chunk of time relaxing in the A/C before I attempt another outdoor excursion today. Once it gets darker and cooler, I'll try for another walk. And if necessary, I'll hit the stationary bike for a bit.

Spring Start 2023 Challenge: 97.6 of 500K
Activity Streak: 38

PXL_20230326_140744308.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Almost back to my full weekly lifting schedule.  Kept up with my walking goal along with lifting schedule.  I know these simple basic workouts are all I need for when I try new things I always trigger my back issue......    I did some research  and found that there are a few exercises I should never do and why and what an alternative would work.   Hope everyone is getting to enjoy some beautiful spring colors and warmer days.  

• Like 7

I did a bunch of yoga, stretching and some core strength work yesterda, and today my hamstings were extra sore. I played tennis for 1.5 hrs and went for a few dogs walks. I'm doing a walk/run challenge on fb with my cousin, and it started today. We're supposed to do at least 3km daily. I did a 6km walk with the border collie this evening. My legs are pretty dead now. 😉 

• Like 7

My hiking bestie is coming up for a very brief visit so I can hike with her on Wednesday, hooray!  Which means today and tomorrow I need to do some conditioning! 

I've been doing my morning routine but I have "adopted" a family who lost their dh/dear papa last fall so we've been doing pysanky and talking which is great but takes a lot of time.

• Like 5

I walked 4 miles with my not so heavy weighted vest today. It’s 12 pounds. According to my Apple Watch, my pace, heart rate and calories were the same as without the vest which was surprising. I’m going to keep trying it and if I like it I’ll look into investing in a heavier one then. 

• Like 5

I got in a really nice and physically demanding walk last evening. I walked along the river with the dog, and the snow was soft and mushy requiring more effort. Got a nice photo of the pup. 

This morning I played some really fun mixed doubles. I'll also get in a few walks in the sunshine today!

20230327_190830.jpg

• Like 8

Yesterday I had my personal training weight session and then I walked 4 miles in my weighted vest. 
Today I walked 2.5 miles through wood trails in my weighted vest and then did 2 neighborhood miles with some hills, no vest. 
I’m really liking the vest so I ordered one that is adjustable to higher weights. 
I’m also trying to commit to 10 pushups and 10 Pilates roll ups every day. 2 days so far 🙂 

• Like 8

It's been really nice weather the last few days, and I was getting in a lot of dogs walks and enjoying the sunshine and longer daylight in the evenings. I was also feeling much better mentally and seemed to be emerging from the "funk" or "mini-depression" I've been in since mid-Feb. Then right before heading out for a walk this evening we suddenly get hit with a snow storm with white-out conditions. 🥶  Luckily it didn't last more then an hour. It coated the ground with snow and iced up the roads and sidewalks, but I still managed to get my walk in.

I'm definitely going to change my user name. I just don't connect with the "winter" part of the name anymore. 😅

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

I'm a little behind in reporting in as my niece has been visiting this week. Busy-busy-busy! I was still recovering from my cough at the beginning of the week and have been easing back into exercise cautiously so as not to start coughing again. Yesterday niece and I went to a local conservatory and then walked around the park and grounds after. Today I started off at the gym with weights and core, then we went to the zoo. So much walking. My knees and feet are killing me, but it's good to be exercising properly once again. 

• Like 7

Just popping in before the month is over.

I’m still not in a consistent workout routine, but I try to throw a few exercises in here and there. I just saw a tip on deadlifts involving a band across a rack that you walk into as a physical cue to keep focus on the hips and this morning my butt is burning from the huge improvement in form!

Ive been working on hip and knee mobility and having more success with the hips than the knees. My knees are so frustrating!

My neck injury is doing really well… comparatively. I don’t have my Ortho appointment until next week. I do have full mobility and no real pain, but there’s still the occasional ouch from sudden movements.  Most of those sudden movements come from having tween/teen boys and a large puppy in the house. 😛 

4 more weeks of an insane school schedule and then I think I can get into a manageable life routine!

• Like 6