Menu

Good news thread

mommyoffive

3 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Today is our 15th wedding anniversary and we are more in love than we could have ever imagined. I married my best friend and couldn't have asked for a better partner.

We are celebrating our anniversary with a trip to Puerto Rico just the two of us. We've been here since the 11th and get how late on the 17th. We are having a blast and already know we're coming back here next January with all the kids.

Happy Anniversary!!! Sounds like a great trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

I get a 3 day weekend this week!   A close friend is coming over for the day tomorrow.

We are finally going on a family vacation for the first time in a while due to a foster child we couldn't take out of state, covid, and dad's health.  

Yay for the long weekend. Where are you going on vacation?

• Like 1

Getting some positive results for ballet intensive auditions.

Took some of my kids to their first birthday party invite.  It was a wonderful day.   Super funny kids.  Sunshine.  Lots of fun.  I had a great time meeting a lot of other parents.

Got 2 hours of walking in.

Travel hacked our whole vacation.  Whoooo..  

Got a huge refund.  

• Like 14

DD's ear piercing went great. She's at a game night tonight and I love how confident she is going new places.

My canary likes me! It means a lot to me to win over a timid, wild little thing. 🙂 

Two of my Sunday School kids came back to the classroom and gave me a hug this morning. 

• Like 17

3 hours ago, MercyA said:

DD's ear piercing went great. She's at a game night tonight and I love how confident she is going new places.

My canary likes me! It means a lot to me to win over a timid, wild little thing. 🙂 

Two of my Sunday School kids came back to the classroom and gave me a hug this morning. 

Glad to hear you and Peep have really hit it off! 

• Like 2

I’ve driven past a particular house a million times in the last year, thinking, “if that house ever came up for sale or rent, I would totally want to live there.” It turns out my friend knows the owner, who asked if she knew anyone who would be interested in renting it. I talked to the owner tonight - it’s totally in my budget and I’m going to walk through it tomorrow. I think it’s very likely to work out and I’m probably going to get it! 

• Like 28

1 minute ago, PinkTulip said:

I’ve driven past a particular house a million times in the last year, thinking, “if that house ever came up for sale or rent, I would totally want to live there.” It turns out my friend knows the owner, who asked if she knew anyone who would be interested in renting it. I talked to the owner tonight - it’s totally in my budget and I’m going to walk through it tomorrow. I think it’s very likely to work out and I’m probably going to get it! 

Wow!!!  Sending some good luck your way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MercyA said:

So glad you are enjoying your new canary.

• Like 1

What a wonderful thread!

After I don't know how many months of seemingly endless training, the dog is starting to dimly understand that when people come to the house he has to SIT in order to get petted.  As opposed to JUMP! ON! THE! NEW! PEOPLE!, which is what he would much prefer to do.  We had guests on Friday night and for the first time i really noticed some progress.  Admittedly,  he was so excited to see the visitors that he peed on the floor, but then he remembered to sit!  Then he forgot, of course, and then he remembered again, and so on.  But we are getting somewhere, finally.

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 9
  • Haha 9

I invested in sheepskin slipper booties.  My feet could not be happier.  I'm wearing them with mohair socks, which don't grab onto the fleece.

We have cold, crisp weather at present - it's been a wet and grey winter, unusual for the east of Scotland, so seeing the blue sky lifts my heart.

Both my kids seem to be doing well at present.

I'm starting a new university module today: medieval history of the British Isles.  I'm very much at sea with it at present, but I'll get there.  My grade for last semester's module (Comedy in English Literature) comes out tomorrow.

• Like 13

I went with my BF to meet one of his sons that he hasn't seen in 5 or 6 years!!!! They look so much alike, it is astonishing!!  BF suspected the bio-mom was purposefully creating distance between them and we found out that it was indeed true. The son wasn't getting messages, and bio-mom changed son's phone number and didn't tell BF. BF was texting an old number for a very long time, thinking that son was pushing him with no responses. When bf would tell bio-mom that he wasn't getting replies to messages, she just made it sound like the son didn't want to talk to bio-dad....and was playing the reverse with the son. 

The good news....son is now 18. BF and son finally reconnected in person (they live 5 hours apart so it takes a bit of effort) and were able to compare notes on how the mom was purposefully interfering.  Son and BF absolutely want a relationship and now that the son realizes bio-mom was interfering, maybe they can build a father/son relationship without her in the middle!!!! 

• Like 16

I decided I would like to go back to work but didn’t think anything would come of it. I haven’t worked since oldest was born, so it’s been 23 years, and I only have an AA degree that I got while homeschooling them years ago.

I have three phone interviews this week already so I’m pretty excited! Two of them are in HR, which is what I did before kids, and one is a medical receptionist. I might not get any of them but at least I wasn’t completely ignored since I’ve been home all this time. 

• Like 17

1 minute ago, Joker2 said:

I decided I would like to go back to work but didn’t think anything would come of it. I haven’t worked since oldest was born, so it’s been 23 years, and I only have an AA degree that I got while homeschooling them years ago.

I have three phone interviews this week already so I’m pretty excited! Two of them are in HR, which is what I did before kids, and one is a medical receptionist. I might not get any of them but at least I wasn’t completely ignored since I’ve been home all this time. 

That is awesome!!! Good luck on the interviews.  You give me some hope.

• Like 1

Dudeling has returned to one of his providers to continue with her.  he is expressing how much better he feels, and to not let him stop this time.  Today, he even said he wished he could go back and tell his younger self not to quit with her.  There's more - but it is huge for him.

I appreciate the reminder to focus on positives.  right now - I need that.

• Like 11

14 hours ago, Tap said:

I went with my BF to meet one of his sons that he hasn't seen in 5 or 6 years!!!! They look so much alike, it is astonishing!!  BF suspected the bio-mom was purposefully creating distance between them and we found out that it was indeed true. The son wasn't getting messages, and bio-mom changed son's phone number and didn't tell BF. BF was texting an old number for a very long time, thinking that son was pushing him with no responses. When bf would tell bio-mom that he wasn't getting replies to messages, she just made it sound like the son didn't want to talk to bio-dad....and was playing the reverse with the son. 

The good news....son is now 18. BF and son finally reconnected in person (they live 5 hours apart so it takes a bit of effort) and were able to compare notes on how the mom was purposefully interfering.  Son and BF absolutely want a relationship and now that the son realizes bio-mom was interfering, maybe they can build a father/son relationship without her in the middle!!!! 

Dh's nephew just got a huge judgment against/ and payout from his ex-wife for her custodial interference.  And she's a lawyer!

I'm glad they've been able to reconnect.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Joker2 said:

You must be a resume rockstar. I am just ramping up my search and hope to be as successful as that!

• Like 3

22 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

Update: it’s just as great on the inside as I thought it would be. We’re working out the logistics but it looks like I’m going to be moving in a couple of weeks. Yay!

• Like 11

9 minutes ago, PinkTulip said:

Update: it’s just as great on the inside as I thought it would be. We’re working out the logistics but it looks like I’m going to be moving in a couple of weeks. Yay!

Congrats!!!  This is like a movie or something!! So excited for you.  Dreamy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Loving this thread!!

Ds29 left yesterday for his long-delayed Fulbright to NewZealand.  He landed this morning in the Land of the Long White Cloud.  While I'm sad that he'll be gone for 11 months, I am so happy that this opportunity has finally come!!  And I held it together at the airport when we dropped him off and didn't sob, but sent him off with a smile!

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Loving this thread!!

Ds29 left yesterday for his long-delayed Fulbright to NewZealand.  He landed this morning in the Land of the Long White Cloud.  While I'm sad that he'll be gone for 11 months, I am so happy that this opportunity has finally come!!  And I held it together at the airport when we dropped him off and didn't sob, but sent him off with a smile!

Wow, what an amazing opportunity.  Are you thinking of visiting?

On 1/16/2023 at 4:50 PM, Joker2 said:

Quoting myself to update that I was offered, and accepted, a job today!!! It’s a medical receptionist/patient rep position less than two miles from my house and my hours are 6:30am - 3pm (M-F only) which is perfect for me. I had two phone interviews and one in person. I honestly thought I wouldn’t be able to find something after so long and am beyond excited.

• Like 16

My 86 yo mom got her long-awaited hearing aids yesterday. 🎈🎉🎈😎 SO much easier to talk with her now!! Plus the volume on her tv is no longer set at 50+. 👍🏻😉

eta: And it was sunny today. Two days in a row for the first time this January. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 13

2 hours ago, Joker2 said:

Quoting myself to update that I was offered, and accepted, a job today!!! It’s a medical receptionist/patient rep position less than two miles from my house and my hours are 6:30am - 3pm (M-F only) which is perfect for me. I had two phone interviews and one in person. I honestly thought I wouldn’t be able to find something after so long and am beyond excited.

Wow, Wow, wow!!!  Congratulations.  So excited and proud of you.  It sounds like a perfect job.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Joker2 said:

Congratulations! 

My update is that I got my module mark back and it was higher than I expected. 

• Like 8

My younger daughter got her matric (final-year of school) exam results and she has been accepted to the university course of her choice! We were very worried that her mathematics mark would not be good enough, but she did it!!  She starts 13 Feb.

We will be empty nesters this year.

Edited by Hannah
Repeat sentence.
  • Like 13

My oldest--identical twins--have big things happening. One is engaged and will be getting married end of March. She will be moving with her husband to the DC area. He will be working with The Old Guard. She will be doing an externship (audiology) in Annapolis. (Just praying they can find somewhere to live!) I'm so excited for them!

The other just accepted a very exciting job in Huntsville, AL (which is our hometown). She just didn't love Atlanta. She was killin' it at her job there, but the COL on a graphic designer salary was not doable long term. Her new job involves UX/UI. Military training software. She's perfect for this!

Random thought:  It stinks that people don't know how well they are doing at a job until they leave and get that feedback. 

Anyway! It's a mix of stress and excitement. I kinda wish it didn't happen all at once, but I'm so grateful. 

Other good news...dd3 who was on academic probation last semester kept her gpa above a 3.0. Prayers answered there. She keeps her scholarship! 🙂 Which is good since I'm paying for a wedding! 😉 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 12

I got an apology from one of my kid's leaders from last year.

He remarked about how amazing my kid was doing when he saw him at the competition this weekend and his growth in such a short time.  I was pretty blunt.  This was always my kid.  Always.  What he was last year was the broken shell of a child who was scared and alone.  He could not give them the confident person they were seeing today.  The lightbulb went on and it finally registered.

I didn't think I needed the apology; I just needed the understanding.  But that inner anger is subsiding.

• Like 10

On 1/21/2023 at 7:38 AM, Hannah said:

My younger daughter got her matric (final-year of school) exam results and she has been accepted to the university course of her choice! We were very worried that her mathematics mark would not be good enough, but she did it!!  She starts 13 Feb.

We will be empty nesters this year.

Yay! Congrats to her.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

I got an apology from one of my kid's leaders from last year.

He remarked about how amazing my kid was doing when he saw him at the competition this weekend and his growth in such a short time.  I was pretty blunt.  This was always my kid.  Always.  What he was last year was the broken shell of a child who was scared and alone.  He could not give them the confident person they were seeing today.  The lightbulb went on and it finally registered.

I didn't think I needed the apology; I just needed the understanding.  But that inner anger is subsiding.

I am glad that you got that apology. 

6 hours ago, popmom said:

My oldest--identical twins--have big things happening. One is engaged and will be getting married end of March. She will be moving with her husband to the DC area. He will be working with The Old Guard. She will be doing an externship (audiology) in Annapolis. (Just praying they can find somewhere to live!) I'm so excited for them!

The other just accepted a very exciting job in Huntsville, AL (which is our hometown). She just didn't love Atlanta. She was killin' it at her job there, but the COL on a graphic designer salary was not doable long term. Her new job involves UX/UI. Military training software. She's perfect for this!

Random thought:  It stinks that people don't know how well they are doing at a job until they leave and get that feedback. 

Anyway! It's a mix of stress and excitement. I kinda wish it didn't happen all at once, but I'm so grateful. 

Other good news...dd3 who was on academic probation last semester kept her gpa above a 3.0. Prayers answered there. She keeps her scholarship! 🙂 Which is good since I'm paying for a wedding! 😉 

Wow, exciting and great all around.

• Like 1