Menu

Class of 2023 College Acceptances and Decisions Thread

DS also got accepted to Texas Christian University with a scholarship and was invited to interview for the full tuition Chancellor's Scholarship.

As the homeschool mom, I am feeling a huge sense of relief that I must have gotten a passing grade on my end of the homeschool documents. DS is waiting to hear from his reach tonight, but at this point he has great options that are affordable and we are both really happy with that.

• Like 20

It has been a few years since i was on here. I homeschooled my older through high school and he's now a junior at Bard in NYS and loving it. And we just found out that my DS17 was accepted ED to COlumbia. He homeschooled til 8th grade and then entered public school here in FLorida. He is thrilled as you can imagine as this was his utter dream school. I hope it's okay to post here-i love seeing others' acceptances. 

• Like 22

On 11/7/2022 at 8:24 PM, freesia said:

I will keep you updated. Right now he wants a Christian college and one that’s not too big. We are still waiting on Grove City which he lived when we visited. However, if a miracle happens and we get the money over and above tuition and room and board, he really wants to go to an aviation program. So, that would be LeTourneau most likely. The flight lab fees would be something like $125000 or so extra, and not covered with standard financial aid. So, it’s not looking good. But the original plan was mechanic engineering—he could work a few years and learn to fly then. 

I'll be following your story with interest as well. I have twin sons that are interested in aviation right now (currently in ground school at a local flight club).  I don't know where you are, but there is an aviation program in KY at EKU. (Eastern Kentucky University) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MagistraKennedy said:

I'll be following your story with interest as well. I have twin sons that are interested in aviation right now (currently in ground school at a local flight club).  I don't know where you are, but there is an aviation program in KY at EKU. (Eastern Kentucky University) 

If you’re interested in something less pricey, Hampton’s program is well-regarded locally and costs about 25% less. It’s a conservative school with a dress code, open prayer and whatnot. Merit aid is also available. https://home.hamptonu.edu/engineering/aviation-flight-education/

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Union University ds18 of Susan in TN

Middle Tennessee State University ds18 of Susan in TN

Columbia State Community College ds18 of Susan in TN

We are not in any way prepared to make decisions as to going to college or not or taking a gap year.  He did not score well on the ACT (no scholarship offers) and the fafsa has not yet taken into account that we no longer have late dh's income, so we would have to throw ourselves on the mercy of financial aid offices.

• Like 11

On 12/15/2022 at 5:10 PM, Sneezyone said:

I probably should have put this here. So far, DD has heard from…

Western Carolina University 

Norfolk State University (NROTC scholarship)

Hollins University (scholarship)

Agnes Scott College (scholarship)

If Agnes is a contender, make sure she does EVERY event she can and the honors weekend in Spring. Those small scholarships stack and do add up, and they seem to take that into account for additional merit. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

If Agnes is a contender, make sure she does EVERY event she can and the honors weekend in Spring. Those small scholarships stack and do add up, and they seem to take that into account for additional merit. 

She is DEFINITELY doing the admitted students weekend. It's already on my calendar. 🙂

• Like 4

The school finally posted on their social media so we are finally allowed to announce it! My dd has been accepted into the school and signed for an athletic scholarship from Blue Mountain Christian University.

She applied to one school. Done. Thankful that worked out! lol 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Christopher Newport University - DS1 and DS2 mlktwins

*** Waiting on Honors College and merit

James Madison University - DS1 and DS2 mlktwins

***Waiting on merit info

****first choice for DS1 (pending results of one more application)

We are all waiting anxiously for the last one - the big reach school (UVA) coming mid-February.

I messed up the college spreadsheet and had the wrong date down for regular decision at William and Mary so we missed it 🤣. They didn't want to go anyway, but I wanted to see how they did. It all worked out and we saved $150 on app fees -- LOL.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, ByGrace3 said:

The school finally posted on their social media so we are finally allowed to announce it! My dd has been accepted into the school and signed for an athletic scholarship from Blue Mountain Christian University.

She applied to one school. Done. Thankful that worked out! lol 

Congratulations!! 🎈🎉🎈😎

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

Christopher Newport University - DS1 and DS2 mlktwins

*** Waiting on Honors College and merit

James Madison University - DS1 and DS2 mlktwins

***Waiting on merit info

****first choice for DS1 (pending results of one more application)

We are all waiting anxiously for the last one - the big reach school (UVA) coming mid-February.

I messed up the college spreadsheet and had the wrong date down for regular decision at William and Mary so we missed it 🤣. They didn't want to go anyway, but I wanted to see how they did. It all worked out and we saved $150 on app fees -- LOL.

It gets so confusing! This is my third time and no matter how organized I think I am at the beginning or how often I review everything, I always end up feeling confused and like I’m forgetting something. It’s a lot of balls spinning, and you have twins! I’m glad you have a good attitude about it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Maybe I'm just being cynical.

Anybody else's senior(s) get those emails saying, "In 5 days <institute of higher learning> will be announcing their decisions! Watch your email at <end of dayish>!" Obviously they are trying to build anticipation. Can it also be read as equivalent to a pre-acceptance (wink, wink)? Surely, surely, surely they are not sending this to applicants that they are planning to reject, are they? That would be horrible.

I'll let you know either way in 5 days and you can celebrate with us or pat me on the back and commiserate about those jerks.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Anybody else's senior(s) get those emails saying, "In 5 days <institute of higher learning> will be announcing their decisions! Watch your email at <end of dayish>!" Obviously they are trying to build anticipation. Can it also be read as equivalent to a pre-acceptance (wink, wink)? Surely, surely, surely they are not sending this to applicants that they are planning to reject, are they? That would be horrible.

I'll let you know either way in 5 days and you can celebrate with us or pat me on the back and commiserate about those jerks.

I think it’s pretty common to notify the announcement date😬… who’s announcing in 5 days then? 😉 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, madteaparty said:

I think it’s pretty common to notify the announcement date😬… who’s announcing in 5 days then? 😉 

I'm uncomfortable when I feel like I'm being played. I mean every school has an announcement policy, either a date or rolling admissions. You don't have to make me hear a 5-day drum roll. 🥁

My next question is, for universities that don't announce until mid to late spring, does that hurt enrollment? By then students have heard from other colleges and had months to live with the idea of going to those other schools. Maybe the applicants decide to just pick somewhere else and be done? Those spring announcing schools are the ones that should be flooding my email inbox now. "Don't forget about us! There is still time to sign Telemachus up for a school visit! Our Institution is worth waiting for!"

The University of Cincinnati, inventors of the internship!, will be announcing decisions in 5 days. I already had that date on my calendar, thank you. 😃

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

2 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

My next question is, for universities that don't announce until mid to late spring, does that hurt enrollment? 

Not for state universities because they tend to be used as financial safeties. Even for private universities, people do wait until all the financial aid/scholarships information are in before making a decision. 

Also emails and texts are kind of automated so it is not surprising to get this kind of reminder emails anymore.  It would be more work to send reminder emails to only people getting an acceptance than to send en masse to the entire applicant pool. 

• Like 2

We get lots of snail mail college stuff too. Dd keeps her eyes peeled for the real things, scholarship info. All her schools are rolling admissions and she was accepted in the fall, but we still have to wait til April because competitive scholarships (and FA, which I think will be irrelevant for us because we are not borrowing) are not announced til then. I guess if a family doesn’t need to wait on that they could commit and be done. Lovely thought. 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

I'm uncomfortable when I feel like I'm being played. I mean every school has an announcement policy, either a date or rolling admissions. You don't have to make me hear a 5-day drum roll. 🥁

My next question is, for universities that don't announce until mid to late spring, does that hurt enrollment? By then students have heard from other colleges and had months to live with the idea of going to those other schools. Maybe the applicants decide to just pick somewhere else and be done? Those spring announcing schools are the ones that should be flooding my email inbox now. "Don't forget about us! There is still time to sign Telemachus up for a school visit! Our Institution is worth waiting for!"

The University of Cincinnati, inventors of the internship!, will be announcing decisions in 5 days. I already had that date on my calendar, thank you. 😃

Of course we are being played. This is the whole name of this game. I love that you’ve preserved  your innocence thus far. You may yet emerge unscathed. I can’t shake the stench of cynicism from last year, but I have an unprecedented number of family, friends, colleague kids applying this year so I remain invested lol.

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Daily DS gets emails from schools he got accepted with “click to accept the offer!.” The pressure is there. Daily guilt for being accepted and not yet accepting. I am telling you, I don’t know if he can last until April this way. I think either by mistake or because of guilt, he is bound to click “accept” to one of those daily blasts. 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

It would be more work to send reminder emails to only people getting an acceptance than to send en masse to the entire applicant pool. 

Ew, so you are thinking that some of the people that get the "don't forget to check in x days!" emails might wait in anticipation due 5 days only to find rejection waiting for them. That office would be hearing from me! Stay tuned (4.5 more days) to hear whether Miss Tick had to launch an embittered phone and social media campaign against one or more schools who relief too heavily on automated technology! 📺

9 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Daily DS gets emails from schools he got accepted with “click to accept the offer!.” The pressure is there. Daily guilt for being accepted and not yet accepting. I am telling you, I don’t know if he can last until April this way. I think either by mistake or because of guilt, he is bound to click “accept” to one of those daily blasts. 

My dc don't seem to feel this pressure. Although they are ready to be done with this process!

10 hours ago, madteaparty said:

Of course we are being played. This is the whole name of this game. I love that you’ve preserved  your innocence thus far. You may yet emerge unscathed. I can’t shake the stench of cynicism from last year, but I have an unprecedented number of family, friends, colleague kids applying this year so I remain invested lol.

Ok, but hopefully your DS is now happily living the life of a college student and all this pressure has faded from his young mind, right? There is hope that going forward this will all fade into the past....

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Ew, so you are thinking that some of the people that get the "don't forget to check in x days!" emails might wait in anticipation due 5 days only to find rejection waiting for them. That office would be hearing from me!

There is a deadline for the appeal essays for applicants who are waitlisted or rejected. So it makes sense that everyone check their student portal for the admission status on the day it is released.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

Ew, so you are thinking that some of the people that get the "don't forget to check in x days!" emails might wait in anticipation due 5 days only to find rejection waiting for them. That office would be hearing from me! Stay tuned (4.5 more days) to hear whether Miss Tick had to launch an embittered phone and social media campaign against one or more schools who relief too heavily on automated technology! 📺

My dc don't seem to feel this pressure. Although they are ready to be done with this process!

Ok, but hopefully your DS is now happily living the life of a college student and all this pressure has faded from his young mind, right? There is hope that going forward this will all fade into the past....

Oh yeah. I want his life. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Miss Tick said:

Oh, YEAH, they sure are sending those emails out to everyone. Last year, DS2 was applying to some of the same schools as a longtime friend of his. They got the same basic emails leading up to the announcement dates. DS2 was accepted to all of their shared schools while friend was denied to every single one. Talk about awkward. 😕

Friend wound up at a state uni and seems very happy there, thank goodness, while DS2 wound up at an Ivy that was one of those late-spring announcement dates. It was torture waiting for all the info to come in. The very definition of "hurry up and wait... ... ... ... ...and then hurry up again" to make the final call.

• Like 1

@Miss Tick Although, some schools accidentally have "tells" as far as acceptances, lol.

Some kids' portals will change leading up to announcement day while others stay the same. (but you aren't always sure until after-the-fact whether a change was a GOOD sign or not).

Last year, an Ivy school uploaded for students to choose their tshirt size on the portal a couple days before announcement day - but only for accepted students, lol.

Another did a financial aid update (the FA paperwork had just shown the date the student turned it in - but for the accepted students, the date changed when the financial aid ppl went into the system to actually LOOK at the paperwork to calculate FA. The date remained unchanged for the unaccepted students).

Little things like that - that will be noticed, but you don't really know what it means until after the fact. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, easypeasy said:

Oh, YEAH, they sure are sending those emails out to everyone. Last year, DS2 was applying to some of the same schools as a longtime friend of his. They got the same basic emails leading up to the announcement dates. DS2 was accepted to all of their shared schools while friend was denied to every single one. Talk about awkward. 😕

😳 (None of the standard emojis fit)

Well, there goes another shred of my innocence!

Edited by Miss Tick
shpelling
  • Haha 3

Happy to report

University of Cincinnati ds Miss Tick

So, anecdotally I'm relieved to add support to the side that can't stop hoping that "Keep watch on your email 5 (long) days from now!!" might possibly not get sent to people who are really, really hoping to get in to a school, wait 5 days and get rejected.

<wanders off clutching shreds of innocence>

• Like 15

On 1/18/2023 at 4:34 PM, Miss Tick said:

I think these announcements are put out by marketing and are intended to encourage enrollment by those admitted. It can also raise the school's profile (implied prestige) if it's viewed as being harder to get into. So they are probably sending that email to students they turned down. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

Big sigh of relief: DS17 got into University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign for Computer Science!

ETA: And that means no more last minute-end-of-January safety schools.

So you’re done?!? 🎉🎈

Or is this a back-up? 

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1