Menu

What was your most successful Homeschool Group event?

Red Dove

What was the most attended homeschool event you’ve been to?  I am part of a homeschool facebook group that does not meet regularly.  I am looking to host an event, but would like advice on what event would likely be most successful.  What events have you attended that got the most participation?   What event was the most fun?  

It depends. Events that more age groups can comE to are usually more popular. Some of the more popular ones have been field day events, fall festival events, outdoor movie events at night and dances. We host a lot of dances here and they are quite popular. 

• Like 1

I've been involved in volunteering and participating in our local homeschool community for many many years now.  I think things can be so hit and miss.  Over the years, as communities would ebb and flow so would attendance at these events.  My kids would want to go to events if they knew other families they were excited about seeing were going to be there.  So I think part of success if building up a core group that attends frequently.  But also are open and welcoming to new families.  I think it's easy for families to get in their rut and for parents to start chatting and forget about the new parent attending that meeting.  

Some of our most successful early efforts were free weekly playgroups, usually at parks.  Some winters we were able to find indoor meet up spaces or would rotate through a few options when the weather was really bad.   Once we had some core groups established, it became much easier to organize field trips with kids we knew and liked, etc.  

Our local homeschool community used to have a not back to school party (prior to covid, maybe it will come back this year though we are defintely aged out now) at a park and kids were invited to wear pajamas and that was super fun and a nice way to kick of the year and make some new connections.  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, KatieInMN said:

Monthly roller skating events which turned into used book swaps for thr moms.

Make n Take at Christmas.

I just looked up “Make n Take” online.  You make a craft and then bring it to swap?  Was this done by the kids or mothers?

Most attended: Valentine's Day Tea and Exchange (where it stated on the invitation it was impossible to over dress for it: flower girl dresses, princess costumes, dress up clothes, etc.) NOTE*** Be extremely careful who you invite to this.  We had people who received handmade Valentines with treats give them back to the people who made them because they don't eat sugar.  Uh, if you don't eat much or any sugar, or if your diet doesn't allow whatever someone makes for you to be eaten, don't attend a Valentine's Day exchange or keep your mouth shut and take it home and throw it away without the giver knowing about it.*** Moms and kids stayed.

Most enthusiastic feedback from Moms: Homeschool Mom's Shopping Day in November. Kids were invited to my house for the day (all potty trained and no one who regularly napped) and told to bring their lunch with them so Moms could get Christmas shopping done kidless. We had unstructured play outside and inside, a make and take ornament craft set up indoors, and walked as a group around the corner to the neighborhood park for lunch and a couple of hours of park time. Moms dropped off kids from 10am -6pm.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

Honestly, try to do something that's FREE. That, alone, can make a huge difference in the turnout.

FREE is definitely what I’m going for.  I don’t want to push out people who don’t want to pay.  

1 hour ago, catz said:

Some of our most successful early efforts were free weekly playgroups, usually at parks.  Some winters we were able to find indoor meet up spaces or would rotate through a few options when the weather was really bad.   Once we had some core groups established, it became much easier to organize field trips with kids we knew and liked, etc.  

So far I have been doing a weekly park day.  It’s slow going.  This week had the most people (6 families).  I’m trying to think of an event during the weekly park day time that will entice people to come out.  It could be a better catalyst to getting a steady group to show up at the park day, and then down the road, more events.  

• Like 2

I was part of a group that had a kick-off event every year at a local Boy Scout camp. There was a huge pavilion and super playground. We would grill out and everyone brought sides and desserts. The group had a membership fee each year, so they paid the rental and paper products of out that. It was always very well attended by whole families. We had people who came to that and nothing else the rest of the year. 

When we started hosting free or mostly teen hang out events, we had great turn outs. We would have game days at a local church fellowship hall or descend on the local Dairy Queen for afternoon treats. 

Our best attended field trips were free and local like a tour of a local dairy farm. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HS Mom in NC said:

Most attended: Valentine's Day Tea and Exchange (where it stated on the invitation it was impossible to over dress for it: flower girl dresses, princess costumes, dress up clothes, etc.)

That sounds so fun!!!

Our public library used to have monthly art classes free for all ages. It was 2pm for homeschoolers and PACKED. They quit due to covid and don't plan to restart it. So I have decided I am going to ask the local art gallery/supply shop hybrid if we can do a homeschool art show. I've got friends in various co-ops so we can advertise and coordinate easily. I am thinking 2 or so pieces of each kid's choosing, and preregistration to be sure we have display space. I am trying to establish a full proposal for her that she can tweak as necessary rather than be too vague on the idea.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brittany1116 said:

Our public library used to have monthly art classes free for all ages. It was 2pm for homeschoolers and PACKED. They quit due to covid and don't plan to restart it. So I have decided I am going to ask the local art gallery/supply shop hybrid if we can do a homeschool art show. I've got friends in various co-ops so we can advertise and coordinate easily. I am thinking 2 or so pieces of each kid's choosing, and preregistration to be sure we have display space. I am trying to establish a full proposal for her that she can tweak as necessary rather than be too vague on the idea.

That’s a really good idea. Was it just free-for-all art, or was there some instruction from the leader?  

9 minutes ago, Red Dove said:

That’s a really good idea. Was it just free-for-all art, or was there some instruction from the leader?  

One librarian had a particular love for art so she would do a 5 minute lesson on an artist and show their works then we would do art inspired by it or in the same style. 

I don't have it in me to lead a class but know kids are routinely creating so I figured an art show is the next best thing. 

• Like 1

We have a weekly park day here - attendance ebbs and flows. 
Biggish events

- Not-back-to-school party in the fall - potluck, put in your membership form (no fees, just fill out basic contact form + ages of kids), sometimes someone sets up a craft (I would set up the Sharpie tie-dye), that sort of thing. It's well attended - whether to put in membership forms or just get together before 'school' starts, I don't know.

-Chair or Treat at Halloween time. Everyone brings candy or treats, moms sit in chairs and pass them out. Starting time is announced before so you know when to show up.

-Field day - organizer sets up a SignUpGenius list of various activities, people sign up to lead one, add in potluck, and it's roughly the same time schools around here are doing their field days, so it's fairly popular with the elementary set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Dove said:

I just looked up “Make n Take” online.  You make a craft and then bring it to swap?  Was this done by the kids or mothers?

No, we put together craft projects, (meaning, we purchased all thr pieces, made samples and had helpers there to assist building the craft item) and kids made them, paid our cost for the item, and they were gifts for siblings, grandparents, teachers, etc. 

We did bean soup in a jar, snowman soup kits, candy trains , lots of oraments, so many things I can’t remember.

I wasnt involved in the ideas, just a helper on the day. It was loads and loads of work ahead of time,  but a huge success every year. Kids loved it.

Edited by KatieInMN
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Honestly, try to do something that's FREE. That, alone, can make a huge difference in the turnout.

Actually, I have to disagree with this. I like free stuff as much as the next person, but tris is an important life lesson that I learned from years of homeschooling. People don’t VALUE what is free. I can’t tell you how many times I planned events at my house or park or whatever, and put tons of effort into an exciting worthwhile event, and many people responded that they were coming and looking forward to it, but on the day of the event, sooo many no-shows. 

Regular events like every Wednesday at 1:00 at the ice skating rink was a regular and well-attended event. Also, someone organized a weekly event at our county park with park rangers giving classes (small fee, but well attended.)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

44 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Actually, I have to disagree with this. I like free stuff as much as the next person, but tris is an important life lesson that I learned from years of homeschooling. People don’t VALUE what is free. I can’t tell you how many times I planned events at my house or park or whatever, and put tons of effort into an exciting worthwhile event, and many people responded that they were coming and looking forward to it, but on the day of the event, sooo many no-shows. 

Regular events like every Wednesday at 1:00 at the ice skating rink was a regular and well-attended event. Also, someone organized a weekly event at our county park with park rangers giving classes (small fee, but well attended.)

I agree with your premise, but in reality, we found that many people were simply too cheap to spend any money on homeschool events and activities. (I’m not talking about people who truly couldn’t afford it; that would have been different — the moms in our group were always getting together for dinners (Mom’s Nights Out) at nice local restaurants; they just didn’t want to spend money on kids’ events.) Eventually, one other mom and I gave up on trying to organize group things because our kids weren’t excited about things like free park days, and just went places together with our own kids at least once a week, and other families could join us or not.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, KatieInMN said:

No, we put together craft projects, (meaning, we purchased all thr pieces, made samples and had helpers there to assist building the craft item) and kids made them, paid our cost for the item, and they were gifts for siblings, grandparents, teachers, etc. 

Oh, I get it now. That sounds like fun. 

3 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Good point. That is interesting, isn’t it?

Whether you do free or paid events, you'll end up with people that gripe about it and not show up. 

OP, decide what kind of events *your* family would enjoy. Plan those and invite others to join you. The people with similar interests will come and those people will eventually form your tribe. 

Do not tailor your homeschool experience to what a larger homeschool group may or may not want.  People will gripe over paid events, people will gripe about free events. 

• Like 6

People like to complain at the price but they get tired of the same ol' same ol' free thing because it is not special or worth their time to attend. And you certainly don't want to make anything free that you are required to register for and arrive on time. We don't have a lot of options of things to do locally the most attended over the years--- skating parties, pumpkin patch, art class. People like fun things that they don't usually get to do or some kind of educationalish class that they don't have to teach.

• Like 1

How  much work do you want to  do? 

I  think charging a  $  3  to 5 fee per kid with a cap of $15 per family might be a  good idea.

You could do a homemade escape the room thing (even at  the park). Organize  a scavenger  hunt  at the park. Assemble  toiletry bags for  the homeless.  Science day at the park  - bring  microscopes, magnifying glasses, and nature book. Call you parks  department and see if they  have someone to do a lecture. Art  in  the park with natural objects. Organize an obstacle course at the  park  with  some  water balloons  or  water  guns... decorate cupcakes or  cookies,  make a bird feeder...  History day - each kid researches a famous person  (best to pick a genre)  and  then  dress  up like person, present a report...  Book  club!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Amethyst said:

This experience of free events/so many noshows has been my experience too. Free field trip? Everyone wants to go, but if you have 50% actually show up, you are lucky. Our group got embarrassed so many times (the hosting place pays folks to show up for this and it is embarrassing if you say 75 kids will be there and only 33 actually show), so we started charging a small fee for the free field trips. Just $1/person, and you actually got it back if you showed up - or if you gave reasonable notice (not just, hey we overslept/forgot/just don't feel like getting out today). Any leftover funds were used to purchase paper products for potlucks.  Even though it was just $1/person, people were much more likely to show and not flake out. 

But our free weekly park day is pretty well attended, and the special events (not-back-to-school, chair or treat, field day) are very well attended. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Bambam said:

This experience of free events/so many noshows has been my experience too. Free field trip? Everyone wants to go, but if you have 50% actually show up, you are lucky. Our group got embarrassed so many times (the hosting place pays folks to show up for this and it is embarrassing if you say 75 kids will be there and only 33 actually show), so we started charging a small fee for the free field trips. Just $1/person, and you actually got it back if you showed up - or if you gave reasonable notice (not just, hey we overslept/forgot/just don't feel like getting out today). Any leftover funds were used to purchase paper products for potlucks.  Even though it was just $1/person, people were much more likely to show and not flake out. 

It’s interesting how that happens, but I can see how a person would feel more invested if they put $1 on it.  I guess it reminds the person that they need to be respectful of other’s time and resources, as well. 

On 7/12/2022 at 4:43 PM, Red Dove said:

What was the most attended homeschool event you’ve been to?  I am part of a homeschool facebook group that does not meet regularly.  I am looking to host an event, but would like advice on what event would likely be most successful.  What events have you attended that got the most participation?   What event was the most fun?  

Throw away the idea of most successful or even well attended. Think of what you and your children would really love to do. Make it scalable and make sure a few like-mined friends attend. This way you’ll have a great time whether there are 3 families or 30. What’s your kids’ favorite activities with friends? 

• Like 5

Well, the most successful and well attended were significant things probably a lot bigger than you’re talking about: Talent Night, Field Day, Drama production or Christmas dinner open house. And Christmas Craft Day. All of these things require an absolutely enormous amount of work and planning from highly dedicated homeschool parents, though. 

For smaller fun events, I have to agree that “free” is a deterrent and “free+no volunteer work required” is the death knell. If it’s park day for free play and there are no organized activities, people who said they would come will decide they have to tackle a math unit test; the baby is teething so they’re sitting tight; they just realized this is the last day to go to Costco before the holiday weekend buyers mob the place…or whatever. Homeschoolers seem to me (more so than in other average populations) to have more introverts and flakier people overall. Maybe it’s that own-drumbeat thing. 

• Like 1

Our events were probably tiny compared to most of yours, but our best attended and most fondly remembered were maker’s days. We hosted from the garage and spilled onto the driveway and into the yard.

We did pool noodle and PVC swords, duct tape projects, more. Our very favorite was a cosplay day with foam armor making classes from a big brother cosplayer. Everyone was encouraged to bring a current cosplay project. We had work tables and supplies, and a lot of people started from scratch. The mess was often a daunting prospect the next day, but pretty easy to sweep up.

Pour art was another fun one, and pumpkin decorating was good — the crayons melted with a heat gun was the big hit. For those we did bring your own canvas or bring your own pumpkin.

Holiday centered events were fun, too. 

• Like 1

One large group I was in had an annual “not back to school” pool party. The fitness center let us pay a fee to use the pool. It wasn’t exclusively ours but since everyone else had gone back to school I think we were the only ones there. Each family paid so much per person in advance then we gave the lump sum to the facility. 

Another usually successful event was a Halloween party. Costumes encouraged. The secular group had a Halloween party. The Christian co-op had a “fall party.” 

Various holidays had successful events (Valentine’s Day with a card exchange). Christmas party with food, games and an activity (decorate cookies or ornaments). 

Homeschool discounted group events — ballet & theatre did well. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

The group we lost to Covid had a great team that planned it all- weekly standing park play dates rotating through different area parks every two months, local free or cheap events that required RSVP, and more distant/more costly events that made more sense/were more cost effective to do as a group than just Mom+2 kids and required advance registration and payment. Plus a couple of holiday parties or crafting days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quill said:

For smaller fun events, I have to agree that “free” is a deterrent and “free+no volunteer work required” is the death knell. If it’s park day for free play and there are no organized activities, people who said they would come will decide they have to tackle a math unit test; the baby is teething so they’re sitting tight; they just realized this is the last day to go to Costco before the holiday weekend buyers mob the place…or whatever. Homeschoolers seem to me (more so than in other average populations) to have more introverts and flakier people overall. Maybe it’s that own-drumbeat thing. 

Too bad! “Free + no volunteer work required” was what I thought would get the most people out, but I can see my flaw in thinking.  If there is no commitment, there’s no guilt in not showing up last minute.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lmrich said:

Just thought of another easy one... a book  exchange. 

That sounds so fun to me, the mom.  To children like book exchanges, too?  If so, do you label age ranges the book is appropriate for?  Or is it more like one big hodge-pudge of books that everyone brings and exchanges?

The biggest event ever was not free. It was a river cruise.  A mom I know arranged for one of those big paddle wheel cruise boats to do a 2hr long cruise for us in between its regular cruises.  I think it was $5  a head and it was hundreds of people for our mid sized city.

For many regular activities the best have been park days with a theme.  Usually one of those fun national holidays like donut day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spryte said:

Our events were probably tiny compared to most of yours, but our best attended and most fondly remembered were maker’s days. We hosted from the garage and spilled onto the driveway and into the yard.

That sounds so fun!

• Like 1

Just now, Red Dove said:

What other types of themes did you have?  I really like this idea.  

Oh whatever seems fun Cookie day everyone brings a dozen to share. Star Wars day everyone dresses up or brings a weapon if they can and the kids battle. Ice cream day we made ice cream in a bag.  Talk like a pirate day  we've probably done others.  Their are a million fun holidays it just makes it a little extra rather than just another park day.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Red Dove said:

That sounds so fun to me, the mom.  To children like book exchanges, too?  If so, do you label age ranges the book is appropriate for?  Or is it more like one big hodge-pudge of books that everyone brings and exchanges?

I typically just let the donors sort - put out table signs like K- 2; 3-5; middle school,  high school, adult  

I also bring a few extra books just to have more 

• Like 1

I think whether "free" is a deterrent really depends on different things. If something is a big yearly gathering sort of thing, then I think people are more likely to go. And if you have a core group that shows up every time, then it can also become a draw. I think the things people are especially looking for are to be able to really join a community where their kids can get a core group of friends. So when there's a big, yearly event that draws a lot of people, they're more likely to turn up to do some networking and find that sort of group. And when there's an event that repeats and is for a more narrow range (middle school kids who like art, 9-11 year olds who like the outdoors, etc.) and becomes known as having a core group, then people like that because it's a premade little friend group for their kid.

• Like 2

Our homeschool proms were fun and well-attended. A group of started it when my youngest was a junior. It was for anyone in high school. I know they held them for at least a few years. I don't live there anymore, so I don't know if they're still going strong. 

• Like 1