Menu

Sheprador dog breed

Kanin

9 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

😆

I guess I had a shepredor.  And a rottidorshep. And now a chimogwai.

I’m addicted to mutts, whatever made up name gets slapped on them. 😉 

Fun! A dog DNA test would be interesting with those dogs 😀

27 minutes ago, Kanin said:

This was a new mashup for me. I just learned that a German shepherd plus a labrador is called a sheprador. 

There's a 9 month old female sheprador in the shelter near me... 😍

I have one as a client.  Gorgeous dog, sweet but couldn’t find its way out of a open cardboard box.   His owner says everyday is his best ever day to him.  The pup does love to give kisses while I do his nails.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 8
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

😆

I guess I had a shepredor.  And a rottidorshep. And now a chimogwai.

I’m addicted to mutts, whatever made up name gets slapped on them. 😉 

I love a good mutt! We have a schnoodle now, and he’s just the funniest, messy-cute dog ever. Like a giant dust mop on legs. Or possibly a muppet.

OP, we need pics of the sheprador! 

My DH had a shepherd / lab mix growing up, and he was such a good boy. Super sweet, great company, good with kids. He would willingly move out out of his outdoor house when barn cats wanted to deliver their litters there. He was not overly bright and loved swamps and dead animal carcasses, but was a very handsome and happy dog. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kanin said:

This was a new mashup for me. I just learned that a German shepherd plus a labrador is called a sheprador. 

There's a 9 month old female sheprador in the shelter near me... 😍

It's just a made-up name for a shepherd-labrador mix. There's no authority who named it. Also, unless someone knows for sure what breed both parents were, you can't even know for sure what the mix is. Often, the shelter employees just pick something to make prospective owners happy.

Of course, in today's world, it's possible to do DNA testing to find a definitive ancestry, but I don't know why that would be important with a mixed-breed dog. The important thing is whether you love that pup with all your heart and he's perfect for your family. 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ellie said:

Of course, in today's world, it's possible to do DNA testing to find a definitive ancestry, but I don't know why that would be important with a mixed-breed dog. The important thing is whether you love that pup with all your heart and he's perfect for your family. 🙂

The best (maybe only?) practical reason is that it gives you some insight into what health issues you may need to be on the lookout for.

• Like 3

Now, there are lots of reasons to GET a dog, but my mind goes to the reasons to NOT get a dog.... 

Of course, I would do anything for my cat in a heartbeat so I'm sure I'd feel the same way about a dog. It's nice to be able to leave a cat home alone for hours or overnight, if needed. Not so with dogs...

1 minute ago, Kanin said:

Now, there are lots of reasons to GET a dog, but my mind goes to the reasons to NOT get a dog.... 

Of course, I would do anything for my cat in a heartbeat so I'm sure I'd feel the same way about a dog. It's nice to be able to leave a cat home alone for hours or overnight, if needed. Not so with dogs...

What does this have to do with dog breed names?  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Nothing. Just musing!

Lol I feel your musings.  After my Brittany died in 2016 I was heartbroken.  I thought I would never get another pet.  Then a half starved young cat showed up and Dh the cat hater fed her and brought her in our house.  

Then in January of 2020……just about 6 weeks before shut down….my Dh and his sister were pressuring me pretty hard to take one of these pups from an oops litter of SIL co-worker.  I was going through one of the worst times of my life and they thought it would help me.  I resisted.  So SIL and her roommate went to pick one out and sent me the pictures of all of them.  They asked my opinion on which one they should take. I said Pup A no doubt.  Her face…..oh my word.  Well.  After they left they called to tell me they did not get my pick.  Because she was crazy wild.  Jumping on and attacking all of her siblings, running zoomies all around…..growling and tugging on pant legs…..they chose instead a mild little pup who crawled up on their lap and went to sleep.  

I looked at Dh and said, ‘I want her.’ We drove to AR that weekend and picked her up.  She has saved me. And that is not an exaggeration.  She and her sister’s personalities are still the same.  One mild and one wild.  I love and adore my little wild child.  

OP, are you going to get her?

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

The best (maybe only?) practical reason is that it gives you some insight into what health issues you may need to be on the lookout for.

But of course, you can only know that with DNA testing, or if you know for certain sure what the parents were. In most cases, you can't guess by the way the puppers look.

6 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Lol I feel your musings.  After my Brittany died in 2016 I was heartbroken.  I thought I would never get another pet.  Then a half starved young cat showed up and Dh the cat hater fed her and brought her in our house.  

Then in January of 2020……just about 6 weeks before shut down….my Dh and his sister were pressuring me pretty hard to take one of these pups from an oops litter of SIL co-worker.  I was going through one of the worst times of my life and they thought it would help me.  I resisted.  So SIL and her roommate went to pick one out and sent me the pictures of all of them.  They asked my opinion on which one they should take. I said Pup A no doubt.  Her face…..oh my word.  Well.  After they left they called to tell me they did not get my pick.  Because she was crazy wild.  Jumping on and attacking all of her siblings, running zoomies all around…..growling and tugging on pant legs…..they chose instead a mild little pup who crawled up on their lap and went to sleep.  

I looked at Dh and said, ‘I want her.’ We drove to AR that weekend and picked her up.  She has saved me. And that is not an exaggeration.  She and her sister’s personalities are still the same.  One mild and one wild.  I love and adore my little wild child.  

I love this story! I would love to see a picture of this wonderful pup. 

I saw her today! I didn't have an appointment so I couldn't really meet her. She's not big at all. There must be some smaller breed in her ancestry. 

She was the only dog in the place that wasn't barking. Making an appointment ... Hope she's ok with cats! 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

What does this have to do with dog breed names?  

I gathered she was looking at this pup and interested in getting her.

7 minutes ago, Kanin said:

I saw her today! I didn't have an appointment so I couldn't really meet her. She's not big at all. There must be some smaller breed in her ancestry. 

She was the only dog in the place that wasn't barking. Making an appointment ... Hope she's ok with cats! 

Good luck!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kanin said:

I love this story! I would love to see a picture of this wonderful pup. 

8504DEB5-DA20-4EE1-9030-BDD64028FDE5.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Do mixed breed dogs ever do the thing where, by some weird coincidence, they manage to come really close to the breed standard for a breed that they absolutely can't be? I've seen several cases where one kitten in an obviously very mixed breed litter somehow comes super close to hitting the breed standard for a breed-and usually a fairly uncommon one at that. 

Our rescue doggie turned out to be a lab / Australian shepherd / golden retriever mix according to DNA test.  Sorry we got the absolute best dog lol.  In all seriousness, he is the perfect dog for us - best personality and temperament.  OP, my vote is get that sweet guy!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

This is the picture her first owner took that hooked me 

B9EA5A78-AF16-4C79-A78F-BEA8DB2BE939.jpeg

Oh my goodness... she is so adorable! And the current picture is lovely. Her eyes are so joyful! She looks very smart, too 🙂

6 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Oh my goodness... she is so adorable! And the current picture is lovely. Her eyes are so joyful! She looks very smart, too 🙂

She is wicked smart.  She knows the difference between her monkey, her duck and her ball.  She will drop one and retrieve the other on command. 

• Like 3

For a while there, rescues tended to label a lot of dogs "Lab Shepherd". We rescued two sets of "lab shepherds", twelve years apart 🙂 Our first set did seem to look like the label was accurate and they were great dogs. The second set did not look at all like the label. We DNA tested the second set eventually. They had different fathers and not a bit of lab or shepherd, lol!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

2044974178_ScreenShot2022-07-06at7_46_20PM.thumb.png.324fe84e3f9906cc9a7697be1e8e8aba.pngWe had a shepherd-lab.  She was an awesome family dog--so sweet!  She was exactly half white german shepherd and half yellow lab.

Gorgeous dog!  My son has a German Shepard.  He is HUGE.  And a big baby. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

There is a lab shepherd at one of our shelters too and I had passed her over because I was nervous about her shepherd traits because of somethings I had read about the breed. Now you guys have me thinking differently and I'm going to go look again.

Yay! We can have mystery breed dogs and old cats together!! I can only imagine the posts we're gonna need to write here 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, stephanier.1765 said:

There is a lab shepherd at one of our shelters too and I had passed her over because I was nervous about her shepherd traits because of somethings I had read about the breed. Now you guys have me thinking differently and I'm going to go look again.

I have always been afraid of German Shepards but I would not be afraid of a mix.  My son has a GSD and although HUGE is a big baby who worships my son. Their other dog, an Akita is the one I worry about. My son says she is dumb as a brick and has blank eyes.  

• Like 1

On 7/6/2022 at 12:59 PM, Scarlett said:

Welp, I filled out the application and it's approved! I think they called my vet and made sure I'm a responsible pet owner.

And now... Maggie the cat is having urinary issues again so we were at the vet again. They said her kidney numbers are too bad to give her anti-inflammatories so we got an antibiotic shot and sent on our way. UGH! This is horrible timing. I'm not sure if I should go meet the dog or not. 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Welp, I filled out the application and it's approved! I think they called my vet and made sure I'm a responsible pet owner.

And now... Maggie the cat is having urinary issues again so we were at the vet again. They said her kidney numbers are too bad to give her anti-inflammatories so we got an antibiotic shot and sent on our way. UGH! This is horrible timing. I'm not sure if I should go meet the dog or not. 

Go meet the dog.  It might not work out when you meet her. Or when you meet her, you realize it was meant to be.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Kanin said:

👏🏻👏🏻 New pups are awesome.  I hope your cat feels better.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Go meet the dog.  It might not work out when you meet her. Or when you meet her, you realize it was meant to be.  

I will.... Her eyes already look right into my soul! Ruh roh. 

• Like 3

I hope that shot does the trick. Poor Maggie! I really hate that you guys are dealing with this. And I totally understand about not wanting to add another pet to the equation. One that might possibly cause Maggie stress. It's that thought that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on a dog. But by golly, that dog looks like such a sweetheart. I would have to meet her and, if she and I clicked, I'd bring her home and hope for the best.

Hugs to you and Maggie!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I hope that shot does the trick. Poor Maggie! I really hate that you guys are dealing with this. And I totally understand about not wanting to add another pet to the equation. One that might possibly cause Maggie stress. It's that thought that is keeping me from pulling the trigger on a dog. But by golly, that dog looks like such a sweetheart. I would have to meet her and, if she and I clicked, I'd bring her home and hope for the best.

Hugs to you and Maggie!

Thank you so much, this means a lot! She seems fine at the moment...

I called the shelter and said I can't take a dog right now. If she's still there when I know more about the cat's situation, then maybe. 

I'm sad but not devastated. Dogs get adopted quickly around here. She is young and cute, so I know she'll find a good home. 

• Sad 2