Menu

Shingles after covid?

Longtime Lurker

I had covid almost three weeks ago. Last night I had an odd sudden headache. Today I have a strange ache in one part of my back that reminds me of how my 2016 bout with shingles started. Now I read that "older people" (50 and older, which I am, barely) have an increased risk of shingles for 6 months after having covid.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/04/19/shingles-and-covid-over-50/

Has anyone had any experience with this?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

I had covid almost three weeks ago. Last night I had an odd sudden headache. Today I have a strange ache in one part of my back that reminds me of how my 2016 bout with shingles started. Now I read that "older people" (50 and older, which I am, barely) have an increased risk of shingles for 6 months after having covid.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2022/04/19/shingles-and-covid-over-50/

Has anyone had any experience with this?

No but I know someone recently who had cold sores reactivate for the first time in years after covid and apparently that’s a thing. There is some evidence that covid is doing something whacky to the immune system so it makes sense that latent viruses can reactivate.

Either way, I really hope you get better soon! Shingles is no fun.

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

No but I know someone recently who had cold sores reactivate for the first time in years after covid and apparently that’s a thing. There is some evidence that covid is doing something whacky to the immune system so it makes sense that latent viruses can reactivate.

Either way, I really hope you get better soon! Shingles is no fun.

I really hope I don't have shingles. I have been recovering well from covid, but I've been tired so maybe the ache is from general fatigue. It's just so oddly specific.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Longtime Lurker said:

I really hope I don't have shingles. I have been recovering well from covid, but I've been tired so maybe the ache is from general fatigue. It's just so oddly specific.

Can you get the early medicine for it at all? I don’t know what it is but I know it made a huge difference for my Dad when he got it a second time.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Can you get the early medicine for it at all? I don’t know what it is but I know it made a huge difference for my Dad when he got it a second time.

Absolutely this. If there's any thought it's shingles, I would get the antivirals asap.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Longtime Lurker said:

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

30 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

If it isn’t shingles I would get the Shingrix vaccine as soon as possible. 

Get that Shingles medicine asap, and get the vaccine asap.  I turn 50 this year and I will be getting that vaccine on my birthday as my birthday present to myself. You’re overdue if you over 50!

• Like 5

Not me, but this happened to a friend. He was the first person I knew to have Covid - clearly acquired before anyone knew it was circulating - he was sick during the first week of the shutdown and then beyond. He got really sick for quite awhile. Got better, and then got shingles. He said he felt like his immune system was just way out of whack. He's totally healed now though. He said it seemed like it was a mild case from what he read.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Absolutely this. If there's any thought it's shingles, I would get the antivirals asap.

1 hour ago, Garga said:

Get that Shingles medicine asap, and get the vaccine asap.  I turn 50 this year and I will be getting that vaccine on my birthday as my birthday present to myself. You’re overdue if you over 50!

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

If it isn’t shingles I would get the Shingrix vaccine as soon as possible. 

If I have any concrete signs of shingles (i.e.- rash), I will get the antiviral right away. Last time it took 2.5 days from the odd achey back to the rash and then I got the antiviral immediately. I woke up, saw the rash, thought "That's odd," and then it clicked 😞 I had a really mild case with no lasting effects.

And, yes, I should get the vaccine, This summer would be a good time since I will have time off work. DH got both of his doses already.

34 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Not me, but this happened to a friend. He was the first person I knew to have Covid - clearly acquired before anyone knew it was circulating - he was sick during the first week of the shutdown and then beyond. He got really sick for quite awhile. Got better, and then got shingles. He said he felt like his immune system was just way out of whack. He's totally healed now though. He said it seemed like it was a mild case from what he read.

This is really interesting. I think the odds of my actually having shingles are low. But when the odd localized backache reminded me of the shingles ache, I started googling and discovered there may be a link. So I'm interested in the science in general. There are other explanations for my headache last night (the weather dropped 20 degrees yesterday and then jumped back up 20 degrees today with humidity) and also for the backache, so I am currently more interested in the covid/shingles link in general than in my own potential shingles.

• Like 1

I had COVID in Feb of 21 and the CV vax in April of 21.  I then  got shingles in August.  I was 51 then.  I did get the anti viral which seemed to stop the progression of it.

I'm not planning on anymore COVID vax and I may not get the shingles one either.  

It seems like several people in my life have had shingles in the past year.  Maybe it's just more on my radar.  I have wondered about a connection with COVID.

• Thanks 1

I have had shingles though not Covid. If it is indeed shingles, please get to urgent care and get a prescription for the antiviral and painkillers. I got it on Friday night and waited until Monday for my doctor’s office to reopen and it was hellish and I almost missed the 72 hour window to take the antiviral medicine. This year, my son’s tutor got shingles and she’s said that Sambucol works effectively if taken as soon as the symptoms appear. She used both sambucol and the prescription medicine. Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2022 at 2:16 AM, mathnerd said:

I have had shingles though not Covid. If it is indeed shingles, please get to urgent care and get a prescription for the antiviral and painkillers. I got it on Friday night and waited until Monday for my doctor’s office to reopen and it was hellish and I almost missed the 72 hour window to take the antiviral medicine. This year, my son’s tutor got shingles and she’s said that Sambucol works effectively if taken as soon as the symptoms appear. She used both sambucol and the prescription medicine. Hope this helps.

It seems that I do not have shingles! The odd ache in one spot of my back is better, although not gone. I have still not developed any form of rash at all. I am attributing Wednesday evening's headache to the insane temperature/humidity swings we have had here this week.

I am still watching carefully for a rash just in case. When I had shingles 5 years ago, 2.5 days elapsed between the backache and the rash. Googling tells me that the antiviral needs to be started within 72 hours of rash development (last time I got it within 24 hours of rash development and my case was very mild), so I will be sure to go in to urgent care immediately if I develop any rash at all. I felt good yesterday and today, so I am no longer particularly worried. However,  I have discovered that I need to be careful not to overdo even 3 weeks post-covid.

• Like 11

This happened to my BIL.  And the shingles has never really gone away, a year later he still has flare ups.  DH and I went and got the shingles shot (had to pay out of pocket, no insurance, $200 each.)  So we haven't got the second shingles shot yet because we are broke.  😐

• Sad 2

14 hours ago, goldberry said:

This happened to my BIL.  And the shingles has never really gone away, a year later he still has flare ups.  DH and I went and got the shingles shot (had to pay out of pocket, no insurance, $200 each.)  So we haven't got the second shingles shot yet because we are broke.  😐

It is terrible that the shot is so expensive 😞 I am sure that one shot gives much more protection than none, though!

• Like 2

I got shingles two weeks after my second vaccine. I realized what it was as soon as I got the rash. I took the antiviral. My case was what I would consider mild, but it was still rather miserable for several days, and exhausted me for a couple of weeks. I had gotten the old vaccine when it was recommended, but had not gotten Shingrix. I actually didn't realize that there was a more recent vaccine.

ETA: I'm 62

Edited by Jaybee
  • Sad 1

On 5/21/2022 at 7:07 PM, goldberry said:

When did you get it? You have to get the second 2-6 months after or you may have to start over with the series. I am sorry for your insurance and financial situation.

16 hours ago, scholastica said:

When did you get it? You have to get the second 2-6 months after or you may have to start over with the series. I am sorry for your insurance and financial situation.

Yes, we missed the window.  It was a year ago.  I've been trying to find out if I have to get two more now or what.  I got sick with it so I'm really hoping not two more.

• Sad 1

On 5/22/2022 at 11:28 AM, ScoutTN said:

The shingles shots were the most painful vax I’ve ever had. Majorly sore arm for many days. But I am very glad to have gotten them. I am over 50, so my insurance paid for part of the cost.

It must depend on your insurance?  My insurance paid for it all. In fact I don’t remember any kind of vaccine where I have had to pay anything. Wait. I take that back. I did have to pay for my typhoid shot when traveling overseas. But never for illnesses that are common in the US. 

• Like 2