Menu

Does this purse exist? Washable, cross-body, WIDE on bottom, lots of pockets

MercyA

So, I'm not a fan of TALL purses. I like to organize things in little pouches inside my purse, and if the purse is tall, they all just end up stacked on top of each other. Also, I dislike having to dig to find things. I'm looking for a purse with a wide bottom--the kind that can sit nicely on its own.

Multiple zippered organizer pockets a huge plus.

Cross-body a must. Not a handbag. 

Medium to large size. I like to carry a lot of stuff around. 🙂 

Light vegan material--cotton or nylon--that can be machine washed.

I've looked at Vera Bradley and Baggallini but am not in love with any of them. Well-known brands are best so I can find them used on eBay. Etsy also is great.

Any ideas??? Thanks!

I have an older 31 Bags purse that exactly meets your description, but they don’t make it anymore.  I love it.  I use it as a ‘sleeve’ around my little handbag when I fly.  It zips securely so the handbag cannot fall out, keeps it clean and Un battered on the road, and it is big enough for many other items in addition.  It’s my go to ‘personal item’ on plans, with a small briefcase as my ‘carry on’.  I think it was call the weekender bag.  It has ample shoulder straps as well as a lengthy, adjustable cross body strap.  It’s very wide at the bottom but not terribly deep (I’m short enough that a filled deep tote will sometimes hit the ground, so I watch for that.), and it has an open outside pocket for masks, a credit card, and maybe a cell phone, and a zippered inside pocket for other valuables.  I used it as my main purse for quite a while, but got tired of the casual pattern for that.  (It was black on the bottom third, and black and white ticking on the top, with heavy black straps.). It is made out of cotton and I wash it in the washing machine.  It’s been awesome.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MercyA said:

So, I'm not a fan of TALL purses. I like to organize things in little pouches inside my purse, and if the purse is tall, they all just end up stacked on top of each other. Also, I dislike having to dig to find things. I'm looking for a purse with a wide bottom--the kind that can sit nicely on its own.

Multiple zippered organizer pockets a huge plus.

Cross-body a must. Not a handbag. 

Medium to large size. I like to carry a lot of stuff around. 🙂 

Light vegan material--cotton or nylon--that can be machine washed.

I've looked at Vera Bradley and Baggallini but am not in love with any of them. Well-known brands are best so I can find them used on eBay. Etsy also is great.

Any ideas??? Thanks!

Have you looked at the Ju-Ju-Be hobobe? They are well known for being machine washable.

• Thanks 1

I don't know about wide on the bottom, but some of the baggallini bags fit your other criteria
https://www.baggallini.com/crossbody-handbags/

I like Tom Bihn, but they are a heavier material. I have the small and medium Cafe Bags. They hold a lot, but I wouldn't say there is a lot of organization slots built in. I do have some of their little pouches that I keep in mine to organize some random stuff;
https://www.tombihn.com/collections/shoulder-bags

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was going to suggest looking at the Keen brand as I had a small/medium purse that met some of your requirements. But they don’t seem to be making many new purses these days.   However, if you’re willing to buy used, you may want to search the Keen brand. 

also you may want to try searching “crossbody diaper bag” to find options with lots of pockets. 

• Thanks 1

Another vote to comb Etsy. I also had the darnedest time finding a purse I actually liked and was just what I wanted and I ended up getting what I wanted on Etsy. It's sturdy cotton and has a matching wallet and has lasted well. It will take you longer to search, but you'll find more options in more styles.

• Thanks 1

If the Hobobe is too small, you might take a look at the Bagan Bag -- I don't have one because I am afraid it would be too big for me. But it certainly catches my eye.

https://ethnotek.com/products/cross-body-shoulder-bag-bagan?utm_source=facebook-ads&utm_medium=paid-social&utm_campaign=top-of-funnel&fbclid=IwAR2dDLXOsKc5Gq7XER8UY3gN48_81MAl_FdgMoMrEpAeYWT6Nc8F1gotF44?variant=36829682446

• Thanks 1

I have one that fits this description. It's a Lily Bloom, and I *think* the style is hobo bag. 

It has two big pockets and a couple small on the front and one on the back. It's big enough that it's almost too big sometimes! And definitely washable. Her stuff is made out if recycled plastic bottles. The inside of the bag is neon green! It's supposed to be easier to find things.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again for your help, all! I had fun looking up your recommendations!

I ended up ordering the Izellah Kipling bag in Stripy Dots and I'm super exited about it (special thanks to @happi duck). I looked on eBay to use if I could find one used, but they were more expensive there than the half-price new one I found on Amazon. I actually bought a Kipling duffel bag at a thrift store four or five years ago and loved the little monkey keychain on it, but I didn't know they made purses, too. 🙂

My second choice was an Etsy purse with lots and lots of pockets, but I wasn't in love with any of the designer's current fabrics. Will continue to keep an eye out in her shop, though. 🙂 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, MercyA said:

Thanks again for your help, all! I had fun looking up your recommendations!

I ended up ordering the Izellah Kipling bag in Stripy Dots and I'm super exited about it (special thanks to @happi duck). I looked on eBay to use if I could find one used, but they were more expensive there than the half-price new one I found on Amazon. I actually bought a Kipling duffel bag at a thrift store four or five years ago and loved the little monkey keychain on it, but I didn't know they made purses, too. 🙂

My second choice was an Etsy purse with lots and lots of pockets, but I wasn't in love with any of the designer's current fabrics. Will continue to keep an eye out in her shop, though. 🙂 

I didn't see your original post, only your update but I don't think you'll be upset with a kipling! They're my favorite and I have a few of them that work well for different purposes. They last, are well made, and wash up nicely! 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2022 at 3:12 PM, vonfirmath said:

Have you looked at the Ju-Ju-Be hobobe? They are well known for being machine washable.

I was going to say, I never was happier with a bag than with my Ju-Ju-Be diaper bag. I was sad to no longer need a diaper bag because it was so practical - easy to find stuff in without digging! It did not occur to me to look at their stuff for a smaller version to use as a purse! I am so glad you brought this up - i NEED a better bag for the same reasons OP mentioned - mine is tall instead of wide and I am always digging digging digging. 

Ooh. looking now and they have two smaller versions of the bag I loved so much! I had the BFF, and they have a mini BFF and and a "Bestie". Both have the option to be shoulder or backpack - I LOVE having a backpack function for longer wear periods, like walking around a Walmart for 90 minutes - helps avoid irritating my SI joint - but I HATE wearing it in backpack mode for short in and out trips, because I have to take it totally off to get my wallet out. Having options is the best!

I was honestly starting to carry around a "cooler/backpack" combo out of desperation, but it looks like a hiking backpack. Something like this would be a bit fancier, lol. So thank you!!!!!

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I was going to say, I never was happier with a bag than with my Ju-Ju-Be diaper bag. I was sad to no longer need a diaper bag because it was so practical - easy to find stuff in without digging! It did not occur to me to look at their stuff for a smaller version to use as a purse! I am so glad you brought this up - i NEED a better bag for the same reasons OP mentioned - mine is tall instead of wide and I am always digging digging digging. 

Ooh. looking now and they have two smaller versions of the bag I loved so much! I had the BFF, and they have a mini BFF and and a "Bestie" that is even smaller. Both have the option to be shoulder or backpack - I LOVE having a backpack function for longer wear periods, like walking around a Walmart for 90 minutes - helps avoid irritating my SI joint - but I HATE wearing it in backpack mode for short in and out trips, because I have to take it totally off to get my wallet out. Having options is the best!

I was honestly starting to carry around a "cooler/backpack" combo out of desperation, but it looks like a hiking backpack. Something like this would be a bit fancier, lol. So thank you!!!!!

My current purse is the Bestie. It is actually bigger than the MiniBFF (A better size for a purse. I tried using the miniBFF)

My daughter is using the miniBRB I purchased on clearance as a purse

If you want pictures of these purses being worn/how they are packed -- if I own it I'd be willing to try things out. Otherwise there are a lot of videos, etc out there.

Edited by vonfirmath

2 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

My current purse is the Bestie. It is actually bigger than the MiniBFF (A better size for a purse. I tried using the miniBFF)

My daughter is using the miniBRB I purchased on clearance as a purse

If you want pictures of these purses being worn/how they are packed -- if I own it I'd be willing to try things out. Otherwise there are a lot of videos, etc out there.

Just went and corrected my post as I realized I had the sizes switched. Watching a video right now! 

I'm also going to check 31 bags as I know those hold up well and are super practical. I have a flat bottomed tote that is emboroidered that I use ALL the time - as a beach bag, to carry random stuff back and forth to my mom's when we visit, to fit a casserole dish in when bringing people food, etc etc. And it was a baby shower gift when I was pregnant with DD12 !!!!! That's some serious longevity for something that I use and abuse! It also still looks sort of clean, which is miraculous since it was often used as a bed by my cats - I'd keep it in my closet between uses and they would find it and lay in it. 

Between JUJUBE or 31 Bags I should be able to find something that works. I need to be able to keep masks, hand sanitizer, tampons, pads, large wallet, phone, snacks, etc and hate digging!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Just went and corrected my post as I realized I had the sizes switched. Watching a video right now! 

I'm also going to check 31 bags as I know those hold up well and are super practical. I have a flat bottomed tote that is emboroidered that I use ALL the time - as a beach bag, to carry random stuff back and forth to my mom's when we visit, to fit a casserole dish in when bringing people food, etc etc. And it was a baby shower gift when I was pregnant with DD12 !!!!! That's some serious longevity for something that I use and abuse! It also still looks sort of clean, which is miraculous since it was often used as a bed by my cats - I'd keep it in my closet between uses and they would find it and lay in it. 

Between JUJUBE or 31 Bags I should be able to find something that works. I need to be able to keep masks, hand sanitizer, tampons, pads, large wallet, phone, snacks, etc and hate digging!

Laugh! I just discovered thirty-one bags this month!

I've heard of them here and there but never got to see one in person (And honestly thought they were more for decorative organizing totes as well)

And RIGHT NOW they have this awesome bundle sale going on. Though the all zipped up crossbody is not part of it :( But I have a few bags on the way to test out. I'm glad to hear of their longevity!

5 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Laugh! I just discovered thirty-one bags this month!

I've heard of them here and there but never got to see one in person (And honestly thought they were more for decorative organizing totes as well)

And RIGHT NOW they have this awesome bundle sale going on. Though the all zipped up crossbody is not part of it 😞 But I have a few bags on the way to test out. I'm glad to hear of their longevity!

Seriously, NOTHING lasts in my house. I Kill things. My husband says that they should hire me to test durablilty of products - that me owning something is harsher than any durability test a corporation could come up with. That one week of me using something is like a year's worth of use in a normal home. Basically, I have ADHD, no attention to detail, and no spatial awareness so constantly banging into things, etc. But that tote has lasted forever!

• Like 2

Took my new Kipling bag to the zoo today and LOVED it!!! All of the pockets were perfect and roomy. The bag was the perfect shape for me. I was also surprised by how much lighter it was on my shoulder than other purses, even though I had the same amount of stuff in it! And...I admit I am a sucker for the cute little monkey keychains that come with the bags. ❤️

Highly recommended! Thanks again, all!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Took my new Kipling bag to the zoo today and LOVED it!!! All of the pockets were perfect and roomy. The bag was the perfect shape for me. I was also surprised by how much lighter it was on my shoulder than other purses, even though I had the same amount of stuff in it! And...I admit I am a sucker for the cute little monkey keychains that come with the bags. ❤️

Highly recommended! Thanks again, all!

which one did you get? I'm looking at this one now https://www.kipling-usa.com/alvar-crossbody-bag/100342344.html?country=US&currency=USD&rmsrc=1&utm_source=google&utm_id=go_cmp-9585414702_adg-97106488685_ad-424226956960_pla-325425753764_dev-c_ext-_prd-100342344_mca-17091571_sig-CjwKCAjwkMeUBhBuEiwA4hpqECiHA2rZldvcBUsa4cUkGOIF8FZ8YRG1h2F-jAbw9AgYPp5rZofVsxoCrhcQAvD_BwE&gclid=CjwKCAjwkMeUBhBuEiwA4hpqECiHA2rZldvcBUsa4cUkGOIF8FZ8YRG1h2F-jAbw9AgYPp5rZofVsxoCrhcQAvD_BwE

• 4 months later...

Le Sportsac deluxe Hobo Bag.   I've had a couple, and I loved them. (there's a classic and a deluxe.)  I don't remember if they were both expandable (deluxe) or only one of them. But it was a nice feature to make it smaller if I didn't need it "big".   Then I decided maybe they were bigger than I needed . . . 

eta: they come in a bunch of different patterns. (and they're always releasing new ones and discontinuing old ones.)

Edited by gardenmom5

Well @MercyA - You inspired me.   I still have that purse I bought years ago - though it's been sitting in a drawer. . . . Fun Hawaii Print. . .  

So I ordered this one  =D.  (Discontinued pattern, but otherwise new.) Two large main pockets (one of which is expandable), interior pocket, three exterior pockets.   Machine washable.  Adjustable strap.  Just missing the pouch.  sad face.  

(I'd really liked the Coach Wildlfowers pattern, which this reminds me of, but I hated whatever material it's made from and I didn't like the layout of the bags themselves . .. .Didn't want to pay that much . . . . . Plus, Coach isn't what it used to be . . . . Miss that full hide leather.  I bought some vintage ones last year.)  Much as I liked one of the peanuts one - I'm not paying that much for a purse . . . . 

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1