Menu

Tick bites and fever

Elizabeth86

Last week or so dd has 2 ticks attached to her scalp. I am pretty certain they weren’t there long because I do daily tick checks. I’m not sure what kind of tick it was (dh might remember) Dd has had a fever on and off for a couple days. I thought we were just getting sick, but no one else is. When she isn’t feverish, she seems well. Do you think this has anything to do with the tick bites? I’m feeling panicky, but wanted some advice. I will call the dr soon. 

I had chronic Lyme diagnosed 5 years after a known tick bite. 5 years of increasing neurological symptoms. There are many kinds of ticks and other insects that can transmit Lyme and as many as 18 other diseases that look/act like Lyme in most cases. The standard response to acute Lyme symptoms is 2 weeks Doxycycline for adults, 2 weeks of other antibiotic for children. I am sorry I can't recall which one, or when you cross from one group to another (12 years? Certain size?). Also of help would be dry brushing, lymph massage, sweating, and Epsom salt baths. And of course, probiotics. 

• Like 1

At this time of year I’d take her to urgent care. They probably won’t even run the tick panel, they’ll give antibiotics. Idk what changed but apparently with kids they just give a course of amoxicillin. Adults apparently needs stronger antibiotics. 

28 days of antibiotics. Probably amoxicillin, doxycycline isn’t good for kids. 28 days covers the entire life cycle of the spirochete that causes Lyme, any less and you can end up with under-treated Lyme and while she may feel better for a bit, it can come back, be easily missed and go systemic.

If you want a good test run, use Igenex labs, send the bloodwork off early in the week so it doesn’t sit over the weekend. Quest and Labcorp are not as reliable.

In future, save the ticks and send them off for testing.

One final note (I’m trying not to write a book): it’s not just Lyme you’re worried about here. But treating the potential for Lyme can head off other co-infections at the pass, as having active Lyme will suppress the immune system and make it easier for the co-infections to flourish. 

If she starts running a high fever, has night sweats, worsening symptoms — I would want her checked for babesiosis. That requires different treatment. 

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 10

1 minute ago, Brittany1116 said:

The rash actually does not have to appear in the place of the bite. It's good her body is warning you. I would definitely get her on antibiotics. If blood work is done, ask to check for other Tick Borne Diseases as well, such as bartonella, Q fever, etc. 

Yes. And adding that bartonella is a witch of an infection to beat, if it lingers. I mean, they all are, but we’ve had the worst time with bartonella for both DSs.

My personal nemesis was babesia. Never thought I’d kick it. But bart is even worse for the kids here.

I’ve found that prompt, thorough Lyme treatment helps (which covers some co-infections), though. And good testing, not the basic labs. (Igenex!)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I’m emailing my dh and he is trying to say that is not what a Lyme disease rash looks like. 😩

It is indeed a bullseye.

So sorry!

This can be an easy fix, if you get her on abx quick. It doesn’t have to turn into a huge deal. Just take her in.

Document the ticks you pulled off, dates, and dates that fever started. Keep the pics. Document more symptoms.

ETA: many people never have a rash at all, so I would have recommended treatment based on bites followed by fever. Rash is irrelevant, really.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 8

7 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I’m emailing my dh and he is trying to say that is not what a Lyme disease rash looks like. 😩

No it is.  Go to the doctor.  Email the picture to the doc.  They are going to want you to come in.   When we had this happen with the bullseye I didn't believe it for some reason either?   I can't remember.  But dh was certain.   Unless your dh is a doc, please let them make the call on it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

No it is.  Go to the doctor.  Email the picture to the doc.  They are going to want you to come in.   When we had this happen with the bullseye I didn't believe it for some reason either?   I can't remember.  But dh was certain.   Unless your dh is a doc, please let them make the call on it. 

I just called ped. and they told me they close early so I will be taking her to urgent care. 

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Lots of time Lyme doesn't even present with any rash...fever and rash a few days after a known tick bite is definitely enough to justify antibiotics! You don't want to mess with Lyme!

• Like 5

Yes, I would get on antibiotics. For what it’s worth, both my son and I have gotten the bullseye rash without knowing if we had a tick bite. We both got on antibiotics, I had a month of doxycycline. He was 11 or 12 at the time, I don’t remember which antibiotic he took. We are both fine. 

My daughter seems to attract ticks, I don’t take her to the doctor every time we pull one off, I just pay attention to symptoms. She has never gotten a tick borne illness nor needed antibiotics.

I had a kid with that EXACT bull's eye in that exact spot. They literally walked people through at the ER to see it the whole time we were there. There's zero doubt that this is Lyme.

The good news is that Lyme caught early like this has almost no consequences! Just go to urgent care or the ER and get the antibiotics and get a panel done just in case. But when treated early, there are almost never any long term issues! My kid who had that really classic early Lyme presentation had no long term effects at all.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Rachel said:

Yes, I would get on antibiotics. For what it’s worth, both my son and I have gotten the bullseye rash without knowing if we had a tick bite. We both got on antibiotics, I had a month of doxycycline. He was 11 or 12 at the time, I don’t remember which antibiotic he took. We are both fine. 

My daughter seems to attract ticks, I don’t take her to the doctor every time we pull one off, I just pay attention to symptoms. She has never gotten a tick borne illness nor needed antibiotics.

Adding: your daughter has a known bite and symptoms, she should be seen. 

• Like 1

Adding that because she had the rash and the fever, they should not wait to give her the antibiotics. Back when ds had his infection, the course was shorter and they didn't even do any testing. The rash was considered to be all they needed to diagnose. So don't let them put you off. If you're in an area where Lyme is uncommon, sometimes doctors don't know what they're doing. If it's endemic around you, they won't give you any issue. But just in case, stand really firm. Antibiotics NOW.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Brittany1116 said:

Known bite and fever is reason enough. 

@Spryte I had Lyme and bart. Then some of my friends tested and had Q fever, RMSF, babesia, bart, and Lyme between the two of them. 

Yeh, ticks are a scourge upon humanity. 

I hope you are better now! I really hate bart. I even hate the meds used to treat bart (shudder).

I had 15 chronic infections by the time I got diagnosed. After a long-term misdiagnosis with MS (among other things). Five years of intense treatment, IV, home equity loans to pay for the co-pays on crazy pricey meds. My LLMD literally saved my life, it was bad. Had my parents known to treat for Lyme when I was a kid and it all started — my whole life might look different. As it is, I have a lot of “souvenirs” that will never go away.

We don’t mess around with ticks. No waiting and hoping. My kids get treated fast and thoroughly now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

Adding that because she had the rash and the fever, they should not wait to give her the antibiotics. Back when ds had his infection, the course was shorter and they didn't even do any testing. The rash was considered to be all they needed to diagnose. So don't let them put you off. If you're in an area where Lyme is uncommon, sometimes doctors don't know what they're doing. If it's endemic around you, they won't give you any issue. But just in case, stand really firm. Antibiotics NOW.

The first time we dealt with Lyme was maybe 12 or so years ago. We were in GA when the rash showed up, but had just gotten back from Cape Cod. It was a fairly classic Lyme rash, but the urgent care doc insisted that Lyme is "really rare" and wouldn't treat it. Fortunately I took him back to our regular ped on Monday and she prescribed antibiotics. We had another scare with a different kid 5 years ago; known tick bite and a fever a few days later--we were traveling, so another urgent care doc, but this one had no problem prescribing antibiotics. So the good news 🙄 about how Lyme is becoming more and more common is that doctors are quicker to treat it now, IME 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, kokotg said:

The first time we dealt with Lyme was maybe 12 or so years ago. We were in GA when the rash showed up, but had just gotten back from Cape Cod. It was a fairly classic Lyme rash, but the urgent care doc insisted that Lyme is "really rare" and wouldn't treat it. Fortunately I took him back to our regular ped on Monday and she prescribed antibiotics. We had another scare with a different kid 5 years ago; known tick bite and a fever a few days later--we were traveling, so another urgent care doc, but this one had no problem prescribing antibiotics. So the good news 🙄 about how Lyme is becoming more and more common is that doctors are quicker to treat it now, IME 

"Really rare." Oy. If only. I don't think I know a single family around here who hasn't had someone have Lyme at some point.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

We are leaving for urgent care. I’ll keep you posted. 

No matter what the doctor says, insist on a 28 day course of antibiotics. Two weeks is not long enough!

I don’t know how old your DD is, but unless she’s really young, try to get doxycycline instead of amoxicillin if you can, because the doxycycline is more effective. Your DD absolutely has a Lyme disease rash; don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Some doctors will tell you that one or two weeks of antibiotics is enough, and that overuse of antibiotics is bad, but I can tell you from personal experience that if you don’t get enough treatment right now,  your DD could end up on antibiotics for literally years to come. I know this from personal experience!

The main reason you need to be super insistent with the doctor about the longer course of antibiotics is because your daughter is already experiencing symptoms. You need to nip this in the bud right now!

One last thing – – do not wait for blood work results before you start her on antibiotics. Because this is a recent infection, it may not even show up in her blood for up to 30 days. My doctor doesn’t usually even test for 30 days – – he assumes that it’s Lyme disease and treats it accordingly, and then checks in 30 days to see if the infection is still active.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 6

I know @Spryte already mentioned this, but it’s so important that I wanted to mention it again — Don’t let the doctor undertreat this!

Your daughter already has the classic rash plus a fever, so this is not a hypothetical case here. Two weeks of an antibiotic would probably clear up the immediate symptoms and you would think she was fine, but that would not necessarily be the case, and months from now she could wind up with really serious symptoms. With a 28 day course, you can feel much safer that the treatment will be complete. I would still do follow-up bloodwork a month after her first bloodwork just to be sure there is no more active disease. Tick borne diseases are so serious, that it is always better to err on the side of too much caution rather than not enough. 

Praying for your dd!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kokotg said:

So the good news 🙄 about how Lyme is becoming more and more common is that doctors are quicker to treat it now, IME 

Honestly, it feel like REALLY OLD NEWS that this should be the case. I did a report or speech or something on Lyme disease in probably 1992 or so. 

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

"Really rare." Oy. If only. I don't think I know a single family around here who hasn't had someone have Lyme at some point.

There are areas where it's been slow to arrive, but sheesh. Thirty-odd years of knowing what this is and it being in the news...rare doesn't mean what doctors seem to think it means. And people travel, especially to do outdoor activities. Bonkers.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

Honestly, it feel like REALLY OLD NEWS that this should be the case. I did a report or speech or something on Lyme disease in probably 1992 or so. 

There are areas where it's been slow to arrive, but sheesh. Thirty-odd years of knowing what this is and it being in the news...rare doesn't mean what doctors seem to think it means. And people travel, especially to do outdoor activities. Bonkers.

Right?!

We went through this with our pediatrician’s office last summer. New doc insisted that Lyme is so rare that despite two attached ticks and a bullseye, it couldn’t possibly be that!

We went to my LLMD and got 28 days of meds.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

No matter what the doctor says, insist on a 28 day course of antibiotics. Two weeks is not long enough!

I don’t know how old your DD is, but unless she’s really young, try to get doxycycline instead of amoxicillin if you can, because the doxycycline is more effective. Your DD absolutely has a Lyme disease rash; don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Some doctors will tell you that one or two weeks of antibiotics is enough, and that overuse of antibiotics is bad, but I can tell you from personal experience that if you don’t get enough treatment right now,  your DD could end up on antibiotics for literally years to come. I know this from personal experience!

The main reason you need to be super insistent with the doctor about the longer course of antibiotics is because your daughter is already experiencing symptoms. You need to nip this in the bud right now!

One last thing – – do not wait for blood work results before you start her on antibiotics. Because this is a recent infection, it may not even show up in her blood for up to 30 days. My doctor doesn’t usually even test for 30 days – – he assumes that it’s Lyme disease and treats it accordingly, and then checks in 30 days to see if the infection is still active.

Ugh. Just now seeing this. She was prescribed doxycycline 50mg/5ml. They only prescribed it for 5 days. I can schedule a follow up Monday with her pediatrician. 

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Ugh. Just now seeing this. She was prescribed doxycycline 50mg/5ml. They only prescribed it for 5 days. I can schedule a follow up Monday with her pediatrician. 

You need longer. Fight hard for 28 days!

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

At least you have something to get her started on right away, but can you call and ask for a longer prescription? You were just there so hopefully you can insist on it.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Spryte said:

You need longer. Fight hard for 28 days!

Absolutely! This isn’t even a case where there was a tick bite, but the tick might not have been on there long enough to have caused a problem. This kid has a classic rash plus a fever! Five days is nowhere near long enough to treat that.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Elizabeth86 said:

I am not surprised.  I have noticed that with the younger kids, they tend to be extremely conservative with antibiotics for lyme.  Definitely have her pediatrician get her more.  And don’t be surprised if he wants to see her in a few weeks to check.  

6 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Yeah my dd is 4. I’m reading doxycycline isn’t usually recommended fir younger kids. I feel like screaming!!

My ds had it so long ago that he had what was the thinking at the time, which was a ten or 14 day course… can’t remember which. And it was fine. But now I’d push for longer. See what the course is for you gets like that though. I would not accept five days though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Farrar said:

My ds had it so long ago that he had what was the thinking at the time, which was a ten or 14 day course… can’t remember which. And it was fine. But now I’d push for longer. See what the course is for you gets like that though. I would not accept five days though.

Thanks. I feel like a nervous wreck right now. I feel so guilty my baby is sick. I’m afraid she won’t be ok.

20 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

Thanks. I feel like a nervous wreck right now. I feel so guilty my baby is sick. I’m afraid she won’t be ok.

There’s no reason to feel guilty!

Your dd will be absolutely fine because you brought her to the doctor as soon as you saw the rash. You have done everything right, so please give yourself some grace!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Elizabeth86 said:

She will be fine! Urgent care got her enough antibiotics to cover her until she can see her regular doctor during normal business hours. You will go from there. 

Actually, I wonder if you could call Doc on Demand or Teledoc and just do a video consult this weekend and get it taken care of? I use them all the time for stuff - my insurance even has a deal with Teledoc so it is cheap for me. Check your insurance website and see if they work with one maybe? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

There’s no reason to feel guilty!

Your dd will be absolutely fine because you brought her to the doctor as soon as you saw the rash. You have done everything right, so please give yourself some grace!

Thank you. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

She will be fine! Urgent care got her enough antibiotics to cover her until she can see her regular doctor during normal business hours. You will go from there. 

Actually, I wonder if you could call Doc on Demand or Teledoc and just do a video consult this weekend and get it taken care of? I use them all the time for stuff - my insurance even has a deal with Teledoc so it is cheap for me. Check your insurance website and see if they work with one maybe? 

Idk I’ll look into it. I’m just worried I’ll have a fight getting her dr to prescribe what she needs