Menu

Does anyone else think that pi day is stupid?

EKS

13 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

This is why I date everything military-style so there is no confusion. 15MAR22

I never attempt a 24-hour clock at work because people’s heads would explode. 

You know, National Pie Day is really January 23rd, so you can milk it and eat pie for TWO days. Follow me for more Pie Club advice and winter survival tips. 

I date most files Year Month and then Day so that they will be in order in the files.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

A friend worked for a US agency in Thailand. After a few months there she decreed that all the filing - paper files in those days - had to be marked in international date style, as the US version was causing too much confusion.

31 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

This is why I date everything military-style so there is no confusion. 15MAR22

I never attempt a 24-hour clock at work because people’s heads would explode. 

You know, National Pie Day is really January 23rd, so you can milk it and eat pie for TWO days. Follow me for more Pie Club advice and winter survival tips. 

I do genealogy.  - It's similar style 14Mar2022.  However, I've learned from experience - some people have really poor handwriting and 14March2022 is safer.   
re: e.g. I've still seen people mix up Mar and May.

and if you want to do day/month -  . . . . 22 / 7  😜

22 minutes ago, wintermom said:

It's actually 14/3 in Canada, technically, so not pi at all. 😅 In fact, there is no pi day. We can eat pie whenever we want! 

22/7

so, we get to do this again on 22nd of July.  That's awesome!  oooh...  yum for time of year where I live, maybe a zucchini crust pizza pie.  I might run myself in "circles" finding a recipe.  guess the theme song for the 22/7 pi day will have to acknowledge the way in USA we write dates and just sing Bye Bye Miss american PI..." 

11 hours ago, kiwik said:

It only works in the US I think.  Or are there other places that go month before day?

Dates are typically written as year month day in Chinese. The year part is drop if it is understood. Like if someone is asking when does school holidays start, the reply would be just month and day.

I figure it’s like National Chocolate Ice Cream Day or Hug Your Cat Day.  Or Talk Like a Pirate Day. It breaks up the monotony, and it’s fun. My oldest’s school had a huge Pi Day celebration with various science classes demonstrating things and a circle drawing contest and pie tasting contests and people reciting digits.  A lot of little kids from elementary schools came in. It was fun. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I figure it’s like National Chocolate Ice Cream Day or Hug Your Cat Day.  Or Talk Like a Pirate Day. It breaks up the monotony, and it’s fun. My oldest’s school had a huge Pi Day celebration with various science classes demonstrating things and a circle drawing contest and pie tasting contests and people reciting digits.  A lot of little kids from elementary schools came in. It was fun. 

Yep. 

I also love National Donut Day. 

Talk Like A Pirate Day is my personal favorite, though.

We had our annual reading of Sir Cumference and the Dragon of Pi last night, after homemade pizza.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, purpleowl said:

My son has a calendar in his room for the first time this year and wanted to make a note of the day. DH explained that the number is pi, not pie. DS opted to skip the pretense and just wrote Pie Day on his calendar. 😄

Yeah I do math every day and the day is not about the math to me! 😂

I am an old grumble goat but given the choice, I’d gladly swap a truly fun thing to celebrate for the mid-May greeting card manufacturer “holiday” that is fraught with high pressure and unmet expectations. 

Last night we had a gang of young adults over for a pi day pizza making party. This morning there’s a fine layer of flour dust on everything in the kitchen. It makes me very happy. 

Edited by Grace Hopper
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TexasProud said:

This is the only place I have ever heard about it. No else I know celebrates it or knows anything about it. So many things I would have no clue about except for this board.

Really?  We have stores and pizza chains that had PI day sales. Pizza hut didn't do a sale this year but I got a don't forget to order to celebrate PI day ad.

Edited by rebcoola
  • Like 1

We love Pi day here! Dh even bought a banner and balloons this year and guests had to bring a dessert pie while we supplied the dinner pies. It was a lot of fun! And I ate 7 different kinds of pies.😊 So yeah, basically an excuse to eat a lot of pie now that ds is older and we aren't doing any educational activities to go along with it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rebcoola said:

Really?  We have stores and pizza chains that had PI day sales. Pizza hut didn't do a sale this year but I got a don't forget to order to celebrate PI day ad.

Maybe, but since I haven't been eating out and don't watch much tv ( except streaming), I don't really see ads.  I have really been very isolated since the world shut down. 

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

All holidays are made up.

And I love every last one of them.  I lost my mind on 2-22-22.  😄  And all the traditional ones, too.  Any excuse for a themed dessert, and I am all in.  I've even been known to celebrate with a Hannukah donut, and I'm not Jewish.  

Edited by BetsyT
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I do genealogy.  - It's similar style 14Mar2022.  However, I've learned from experience - some people have really poor handwriting and 14March2022 is safer.   
re: e.g. I've still seen people mix up Mar and May.

and if you want to do day/month -  . . . . 22 / 7  😜

22/7

This is similar to the method dates are indicated in clinical trials, though they capitalize the month: 14MAR2022. It's less likely that capitals will be mixed up with numbers or misread.

Edited by wintermom

I did not have pie yesterday, but I fully support pi day, pie day whatever. 

I also observe weird holidays - such as today. I always eat a Caesar Salad on the Ides of March. I also observe October 14th (Battle of Hastings) as a household holiday. May the 4th is also one. 

26 minutes ago, elegantlion said:

I also observe October 14th (Battle of Hastings) as a household holiday. 

what are you doing for the Battle of Hastings?

The German poet Heinrich Heine wrote a gorgeous 124 line long ballad about it one could recite.
Here's an English translation: https://thewildpeak.wordpress.com/2014/09/27/heinrich-heines-battlefield-at-hastings-2/

• Like 1

I like made up FB holidays, the ones followed by,"I just made it up; tell the others":
National Stay in Bed and Read Day
National Stay Home and Craft Day

I'd like to propose:
National Walk in the Woods Day
National Tour An Ornamental Garden Day
National Hot Cocoa and Fuzzy Socks Day

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

This is similar to the method dates are indicated in clinical trials, though they capitalize the month: 14MAR2022. It's less likely that capitals will be mixed up with numbers or misread.

Depends if it's handwritten or not. 

8 hours ago, HS Mom in NC said:

I'd like to propose:
National Walk in the Woods Day
National Tour An Ornamental Garden Day
National Hot Cocoa and Fuzzy Socks Day

Jamboree on the Trail is May 14 this year - falls annually on the second Saturday in May.  Not a national holiday, but a World Scouting event.  Basically World Scouting Walk in the Woods Day.

• Like 1

I figure I'm doing great if I can remember the birthdays of those closest to me. That plus the big three, Thanksgiving, Easter, and Christmas and I'm maxed out for holidays. I feel like I have to do something for the 6 parents I have on Mother's or Father's Day but really wish those days didn't exist. There has always been the battle of which set of parents gets in person contact and making sure everyone else at least gets cards and calls is exhausting. 

I personally would rather celebrate the "everyday", "routine day", or just "common day" by not having so much extra stuff to think about. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, frogger said:

I personally would rather celebrate the "everyday", "routine day", or just "common day" by not having so much extra stuff to think about. 

This was my mom.  And to be honest, she did/does an amazing job of it.  She uses her beautiful things every day, she treats family like guests, and she always modeled this so well.

And she created me.  I only use the good dishes on Sundays and holidays, put up themed decorations, and am all about the special.  LOL.  I wonder what my own kids will do.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, regentrude said:

what are you doing for the Battle of Hastings?

The German poet Heinrich Heine wrote a gorgeous 124 line long ballad about it one could recite.
Here's an English translation: https://thewildpeak.wordpress.com/2014/09/27/heinrich-heines-battlefield-at-hastings-2/

That's lovely. I'll have to share that this year. 

I started celebrating by giving one of my friends gifts. They are an Anglo-Saxon historian, I focus on post-conquest medieval English history. I gave them silly gifts for years. One year it was a Battle of Hastings shirt with a 2nd place medal. Another year it was a sympathy card "signed" by William the Conqueror. So it's become a "holiday" for us. 

• Like 2