Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

Just now, MissLemon said:

Yeah, I don't really want to drive, but if it's clearly and significantly less risky, then I'd do it. 

(Vent: I'm really just tired of having to think about all of this. This is supposed to be a trip for my 50th birthday. It's literally the only thing I want, and I am getting a hard time about it). 

That's rough. We're still in the not wanting to get Covid camp, but we will be taking risks later this summer and fall (sending a kid to school--he's willing to mask, but he has to eat at some point).

• Thanks 1

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The IV contrast shortage has been going on for a few weeks now. DH had his regular 3-4 month CT scan (cancer) a few days ago, and it wasn't a problem. I don't know if he's high enough on the priority list or if our hospital system is still well stocked, or maybe both.

• Like 1

There are so few people masking in the town where I work that we are starting to smile at each other, like vintage Beetle owners waving greetings.

Meanwhile the university where I work is adding air purifiers to the CO2 monitors in the teaching rooms, but there's nothing in the shared offices.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

It was in all my local news on Wednesday but it is a recommendation and not a requirement though.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/cdc-now-recommends-all-domestic-travelers-get-tested-for-covid-19-before-a-trip/2894220/

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has updated its COVID-19 testing guidance for travelers to include those taking trips within the United States.

The agency is now advising all travelers — including those who are vaccinated and current with their boosters — to consider getting tested no more than three days before a trip.

The CDC previously recommended testing before travel for people who were not vaccinated or up to date with their booster shots.”

• Like 1

Had a sore throat today. Thought it was allergies since the pollen is thick and I've been outside a bunch. Nope. Got Covid. Everyone was going out to do other fun stuff and I called them all home. They will test and whomever is sick will sit tight. My DH is supposed to leave next Monday to Japan and the 2nd oldest DS to WA state a week after that! Oh my.

• Sad 23

5 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Had a sore throat today. Thought it was allergies since the pollen is thick and I've been outside a bunch. Nope. Got Covid. Everyone was going out to do other fun stuff and I called them all home. They will test and whomever is sick will sit tight. My DH is supposed to leave next Monday to Japan and the 2nd oldest DS to WA state a week after that! Oh my.

Oh I am sorry, Yael!  We are just emerging from our own personal Covid extravanganza -- everyone except my youngest wound up catching it, and my fingers are still crossed that he manages to stay negative.  

We tried REALLY hard to isolate to the extent possible in our house, moving sick people into separate rooms at the first sign of illness, opening windows and running air purifiers, etc., but ultimately it was not all that successful.  We did manage to stretch it out enough so that we were not all sick at once, which would have been a nightmare -- by the time I went down DS17 was mostly recovered and could handle things.  

FWIW we each felt genuinely horrendous for about 24-36 hrs (sore throat and low-grade fever, but also just feeling really bad) and then gradually became less sick and more stuffy.   So far my teens, at least, have tested positive well after their symptoms ended.  DS17 tested positive for a full 9 days and DS14 is still testing (faintly) positive on his 9th day, today.  DH and I aren't even bothering to test because we are still mildly symptomatic.

Also FWIW, the only thing i felt even remotely like eating was ice cream.  

Hugs to you all, refuah shleimah (get well soon)!!

• Like 3
  • Sad 6

33 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Oh, i’m sorry! I hope you feel 100% again very soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YaelAldrich said:

Oh no!!! I hope you end up with a very mild case and that no one else in your family catches it!

Sending lots of hugs and prayers. 

• Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 1:47 PM, freesia said:

I am sure the numbers are not accurate right now. I have never ever known so many people with Covid. We have been playing dodge the bullet here—lots of near misses with people who turn up positive. There were 5 families in co-op that tested positive after co-op 10 days ago,  at least 4 families at church, now a member of dd’s soccer team got a positive Monday (game Sunday). A parent who a pediatrician says flu is rampant here right now, too. 

Dh and I are masking indoors now again and will probably be requiring it of the kids going forward. Most people in stores around here are back to masking.

We are not masking outdoors. I will let you know if more if the soccer girls come down with it. My dd is fine as of right now.  

Updating: None of the girls on the soccer team got Covid except the one who tested positive on Monday. So I am still feeling good about outside spread. 

• Like 11

6 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Oh, no! Here's hoping it's mild!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Hope you're over it soon and the rest of your family stays healthy.  I'm so sorry!  Seems like everyone is getting it now.  😞

• Like 1

My DH started coming down with cold like symptoms on May 7th and tested positive on May 8th.  I started coming down with symptoms that same day but then tested negative on May 8th and 10th.   Cold symptoms continued, DH quarantined down stairs and we were both very careful.  We both retested on May 19th.  DH now tests negative and I test positive.  ☹️  I am supposed to do a beach vacation with my sister that we have been planning since February this Wednesday but will not be going if I am still testing positive.  Any positive stories or actual experiences that you have to give me hope that I will still get to go on this much needed vacation?  I hate Covid…we have been so careful, we are vaccinated and boosted and I hate that I might have to cancel my plans.  

• Sad 6

11 minutes ago, DinCO said:

My DH started coming down with cold like symptoms on May 7th and tested positive on May 8th.  I started coming down with symptoms that same day but then tested negative on May 8th and 10th.   Cold symptoms continued, DH quarantined down stairs and we were both very careful.  We both retested on May 19th.  DH now tests negative and I test positive.  ☹️  I am supposed to do a beach vacation with my sister that we have been planning since February this Wednesday but will not be going if I am still testing positive.  Any positive stories or actual experiences that you have to give me hope that I will still get to go on this much needed vacation?  I hate Covid…we have been so careful, we are vaccinated and boosted and I hate that I might have to cancel my plans.  

Oh that stinks that you are still testing positive.  I would just keep testing.  Hopefully you were just a little behind him.  My small sampling of people that have had it recently said that older people tended to test positive longer than younger people.  Don't know if that is really true.  I test today or tomorrow and then if you are still positive Tuesday or Wed.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh that stinks that you are still testing positive.  I would just keep testing.  Hopefully you were just a little behind him.  My small sampling of people that have had it recently said that older people tended to test positive longer than younger people.  Don't know if that is really true.  I test today or tomorrow and then if you are still positive Tuesday or Wed.

Thank you !  That is the plan… my DH is 56 and I am 51 so hoping that I will test negative soon.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I hope so too.  I don't want you to have miss the vacation.   How are you feeling?

Actually, I think the vaccines have really helped.  I have had a sore throat, a bit of a cough and some fatigue but nothing too bad.. no fever, chills etc.  I was actually surprised I tested positive.  I truly thought it was a bad cold !  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Ugh. Seems like everyone is getting Covid. My small school has so many staff out that it's getting hard to cover all the classrooms. 😢

We have really seen an uptick on people we know getting it here as well!  Lots of graduation parties/ celebrations have been postponed.  I really thought the summer was going to give us some respite but I don’t think it will.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, DinCO said:

I’ve seen that people in this age group do seem to test positive for 10 to 12 days or so on average, but it seems to fairly quickly go from a strong positive to a faint to gone, such that I still think you could have a decent chance of being negative by Wednesday if your symptoms started back on May 10. 🤞

43 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

What you’ve noticed matches up with the research as well— older people tend to shed virus for longer.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

I’ve seen that people in this age group do seem to test positive for 10 to 12 days or so on average, but it seems to fairly quickly go from a strong positive to a faint to gone, such that I still think you could have a decent chance of being negative by Wednesday if your symptoms started back on May 10. 🤞

What you’ve noticed matches up with the research as well— older people tend to shed virus for longer.

I am crossing my fingers as well!  I was a strong positive yesterday morning and that bummed me out so much I decided to wait to test again until tomorrow.   Hopefully it will be faint tomorrow and gone by Tuesday as I will need to make some decisions by then.  

• Like 2

Here's how to decide if you're safe to go out when you're recovering from omicron

After 10 days, you can consider yourself good to go, says Chin-Hong. He says multiple studies have shown that "there's very little, if any, transmission after day 10, regardless of the variant." There's one notable exception to this rule of thumb: If you're immunocompromised, you should wait 20 days to exit isolation, because research prior to omicron has shown that these patients tend to shed virus longer.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Been lollygagging in bed all day. Still just a sore throat and a very little fatigue. Maybe a little fever but I'm not going to get the thermometer from downstairs and it was hot here and I opened a window and closed off the AC vents to my room. 

I sent the other family members out for a PCR test in the afternoon. They all tested negative on rapids. But my DH's throat is inflamed and he's sneezing and coughing and thinks he's little feverish as well. He's also a huge hypochondriac 🤪. I tried to swab his throat and he just wouldn't comply (🙄). He's supposed to go to Japan next Monday. His ticket is fully refundable so if he needs to move it he can. The two younger kids were freshly boosted so I hope that helps them. 

• Like 9

Well, my Chicago trip is cancelled. My sister has covid. 

DH is being kind of jerky about it. I am super disappointed and he's sort of like "Tough luck!", and taking my disappointment personally. 

*Insert gripes and complaints and crying here*

• Sad 17

6 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Been lollygagging in bed all day. Still just a sore throat and a very little fatigue. Maybe a little fever but I'm not going to get the thermometer from downstairs and it was hot here and I opened a window and closed off the AC vents to my room. 

I sent the other family members out for a PCR test in the afternoon. They all tested negative on rapids. But my DH's throat is inflamed and he's sneezing and coughing and thinks he's little feverish as well. He's also a huge hypochondriac 🤪. I tried to swab his throat and he just wouldn't comply (🙄). He's supposed to go to Japan next Monday. His ticket is fully refundable so if he needs to move it he can. The two younger kids were freshly boosted so I hope that helps them. 

I hope you feel better and better, and that no one else comes up positive!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

DH is being kind of jerky about it. I am super disappointed and he's sort of like "Tough luck!", and taking my disappointment personally. 

*Insert gripes and complaints and crying here*

I’m so sorry to hear that!  Can you reschedule for a few weeks from now when she is feeling better?  You should definitely try to get together to celebrate your birthday… it is a big deal and I’m sorry your DH isn’t being more understanding.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is it worth getting Paxlovid? It's easy to get an appointment and test to treat where I am. Still minor symptoms - sore throat, sinus type pressure. I'd rather be done sooner than later to take care of people that need a healthy person. I'm aware of the side effects and that there might be rebound.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

And do things like Sudafed (the real stuff) help against sinus pressure caused by covid?

Sudafed really helped my DH with his sinus pressure…for him the sinus pressure was the worst symptom he had and the Sudafed was a game changer.

25 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Have not had Covid, but real Sudafed (the little red pills) are my go to for sinus pressure!  Hope you fell better soon!

Same - the kind with pseudoephedrine that you have to get at the pharmacy.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

my DH's throat is inflamed and he's sneezing and coughing and thinks he's little feverish as well. ... He's supposed to go to Japan next Monday. His ticket is fully refundable so if he needs to move it he can. 

Fingers crossed, but it sounds like it's a good thing those tickets are fully refundable.

10 hours ago, MissLemon said:

*Insert gripes andd complaints and crying here*

I am so sorry!  That is SUCH a bummer.  (And back off, MrLemon!)  Can you go another time this summer?

3 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

Is it worth getting Paxlovid? It's easy to get an appointment and test to treat where I am. Still minor symptoms - sore throat, sinus type pressure. I'd rather be done sooner than later to take care of people that need a healthy person. I'm aware of the side effects and that there might be rebound.

Neither DH nor I even tried to get it -- it's not so readily accessible here and while we were first in line for the vaccines, I'm much more twitchy about new meds.  If either of us were at serious risk we wouldn't hesitate, but as it is we both recovered quickly.  Today is day 5 for me and I basically feel fine.

While it was not fun being sick, the real hassle has been testing positive and therefore having to isolate for so long.   As I mentioned upthread, DS17 tested positive for 9 days and DS14 was still testing positive yesterday, on his Day 9.  I just tested and no surprise, still a very strong positive. 

3 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

And do things like Sudafed (the real stuff) help against sinus pressure caused by covid?

DS17 and I both took real Sudafed for the congestion and it was super helpful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Spryte said:

For those of you testing positive, how long after exposure or symptoms (whichever date you know) did it take for you to test positive?

I hope you all feel better soon!

Our Patient Zero -- DS17 -- had a known exposure on a Sunday afternoon, developed a sore throat on Tuesday morning (but tested negative) and then tested positive on Wednesday morning.  

For the rest of us, it was hard to figure exposure (we were trying to isolate but it didn't seem to work that well) but we all had a sore throat for about 24 hours before testing positive.

At one point DS11 also had a sore throat, though, but he woke up perfectly fine the next morning and never tested positive.  He's the only one in the family who's escaped it so far.

Edited by JennyD
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Spryte said:

For those of you testing positive, how long after exposure or symptoms (whichever date you know) did it take for you to test positive?

I hope you all feel better soon!

I remember having a mild sore throat on Saturday off and on but I have one when I wear a mask (after I take it off) as well as the pollen count right now is sky high. The sore throat was there when I woke up Sunday morning but it didn't stop me from doing my exercise and cleaning in the morning. But I decided to test and Wham-O positive. I'm not sure where I got it. We did our mission of mercy to pick up the covid positive bonus son last week Wednesday so too long a time between exposure (although we were double masked etc)  and illness. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

I remember having a mild sore throat on Saturday off and on but I have one when I wear a mask (after I take it off) as well as the pollen count right now is sky high. The sore throat was there when I woke up Sunday morning but it didn't stop me from doing my exercise and cleaning in the morning. But I decided to test and Wham-O positive. I'm not sure where I got it. We did our mission of mercy to pick up the covid positive bonus son last week Wednesday so too long a time between exposure (although we were double masked etc)  and illness. 

Sore throats are so tough. I frequently get sore throats that come and go, lasting for a few hours here and there. I haven't been testing each time because that would be a LOT of testing. Ugh. I wear my mask at work and in stores. I wonder if one of those times it could have been covid? 

I'm so OVER analyzing every little symptom. Bleargh!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Kanin said:

Sore throats are so tough. I frequently get sore throats that come and go, lasting for a few hours here and there. I haven't been testing each time because that would be a LOT of testing. Ugh. I wear my mask at work and in stores. I wonder if one of those times it could have been covid? 

I'm so OVER analyzing every little symptom. Bleargh!

I have been tired as of late about every stupid possible symptom of COVID and trying to stay one step ahead of the virus. Guess I get a little break now?

1 hour ago, YaelAldrich said:

We did our mission of mercy to pick up the covid positive bonus son last week Wednesday so too long a time between exposure (although we were double masked etc)  and illness. 

I thought rapid test could turn from false negative to positive on the third or fourth day while PCR turns positive earlier.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

It was 10 days ago. Last last Wednesday.

That seems like an awfully long time for it to have been that exposure, but I guess anything's possible.

As of this morning my DS14 finally turned negative (his Day 10 after 1st positive test).  DH is on Day 8 and still positive, although not as strongly as before.  I'm strongly positive on Day 5. 

• Like 1

Re Paxlovid: I got it because I tend to get hit hard by upper respiratory infections. I think if you are similar or if you have risk factors, you should take it. You can only get it if you have at least one risk factor. (Smoker or former smoker, diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, heart issues, there may be others I am not remembering.) For me, it didn't shorten my illness. For the 5 days that I was on it, it helped a lot - my heart rate returned to normal, my sore throat went away, sinus pressure was relieved, etc. But when the course was done I went downhill in terms of energy and lung congestion. I was basically in bed for 2 weeks. I do very much feel it helped keep things manageable and from getting really bad. I am glad I took it, but the side effects were awful and wouldn't have been worth it if I just had typical cold symptoms and no risk factors.

Edited by Elona
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, YaelAldrich said:

I personally wouldn't seek paxlovid unless I were unvaccinated with risk factors  or immunecompromised.  I'm sceptical.  I think this drug is benefitting from a lot of spin and hopium. 

The paxlovid trial EPIC-HR was conducted on unvaccinated individuals with at least one risk factor, who had not previously had covid,  during the delta wave.  That's the only cohort for whom we have evidence of benefit.  There are legitimate criticisms of the trial: Pharma-funded and Pharma-run, modified intention to treat analysis (with no explanation for why it was modified), disease-specific hospitalization instead of all-cause hospitalization as part of the composite end-point, failure to publish secondary endpoints, trial stopped before full enrolment reached ---  all of these are tweaks that may serve to exaggerate the true efficacy.  One of my Canadian EM colleagues has written a very good critique.

Interim analysis of the standard risk trial (EPIC-SR) has been communicated by Pfizer by press release.  Primary endpoint of symptom alleviation was not met, and the secondary endpoint of hospitalization and death did not meet statistical significance.  This trial included unvaccinated people with no risk factors and vaccinated people with at least one risk factor -  the population to whom we are prescribing the most paxlovid.

The Ontario Science table has crunched numbers and come up with a risk table that captures those who are at 5% or greater risk of hospitalization or death from covid, and advises prescribing to that population.  I think that even this is not warranted by evidence, since risk of hospitalization from covid =/= paxlovid efficacy in preventing hospitalization, and many of the higher risk patients are at increased risk of harm from paxlovid because of all the meds they take , poor kidney function etc.  OST has also published their rationale.  

My anecdotal experience as a person who prescribes this drug and does follow up:

The list of drug interactions is long and many are potentially very serious.  

Paxlovid makes people feel crummy. IME, about 20% of patients don't tolerate it and stop taking it. (This is much higher than the 2% reported in the trial).  

100% of my patients have had dysgeusia (bad taste in mouth), much higher than the 20% reported in the trial.  Lots of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, onset within a few hours.  Hard to tease out how many feel worse because of covid, of course, but the symptom progression for paxlovid seems pretty distinctive, and goes away when they stop taking it.  

Bottom line:  I'm sceptical.  The population on whom the drug was trialed successfully mostly no longer exists (unvaccinated, covid-naive, delta).   Independent replication of efficacy is needed.  I think that we will find that EPIC-HR has over-estimated the benefit and underestimated the harm of paxlovid.  We'll see.  Based on current evidence, I wouldn't take it, and wouldn't recommend it to my 70-something triple vaxxed healthy parents.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 12