Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

4 minutes ago, KSera said:

This is exactly the same tone I was talking about. Their kid shouldn't need to wear a mask at school during a pandemic to protect kids who might die from this, but instead the at risk kids should stay home (because being in school is essential for their kid, but apparently not for other people's kids).

I'd love to see more detailed data on this as well. The only thing I've seen was anecdotal about a group of surgeons having a holiday gathering, and all the ones who wore procedure masks got infected, but the one who wore an N95 did not. It's also hard to tease out those who "always wear a mask" but also eat out or have lunch at school or get together with a friend inside without a mask from those who truly are never around anyone outside their household without a mask, and neither is anyone else in their house.

Yes, and the ones who wear a mask regularly, over their mouth and never their nose. We have a bunch of those folks working at McDonald's. I feel like we need billboards all over that say, "Believe it or not. Your nose is connected to your respiratory system!"

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/4/2022 at 12:20 PM, Pawz4me said:

DS23 came home from work early yesterday, saying he had rapid onset chills and body aches. Temperature 100, rapid test negative. This morning he said he slept better than he expected, but his temperature was 101. I made him an appointment for what I hope will be a PCR test for Thursday morning (earliest I could find). He's going try a no appointment needed/drive up place in a little while. Temperature now down to 99.4.

Quoting myself to report that DS's PCR came back negative. Which makes me wonder if it's possible he could have had it, but his immune system kicked in hard and fast and cleared it quickly enough that he didn't test positive? Otherwise it was some other very fast viral thing. It hit him quickly around 6:00 Monday and by mid-afternoon Tuesday--about the time he was getting the PCR test--he felt pretty much back to normal.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I vividly remember entire threads here on TWTM boards arguing this point. There were many who felt that their family budget (peanut butter is cheaper than other lunch alternatives) trumped the life of a child with a peanut allergy. As the mom of a lactose-intolerant kid who wouldn't die but who definitely suffered due to accidental exposures, I was horrified and terribly grieved at the hardheartedness.

I never saw those threads, that is horrible.  My kids currently don't have any food allergies so we have never had to deal with issues with that.  It would be so hard to do, I give parents of kids with food allergies a huge hug.  My kids love pbj and all sorts of nuts, and never in a million years when we have been told not bring that kind of food to an activity did I even think to consider my pocketbook.  We just followed any and all rules that were in place.   A tiny inconvenience to protect their friends.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Just asked her. Cloth usually but this week has been disposable under the cloth. 

1 hour ago, KSera said:

I'd love to see more detailed data on this as well. The only thing I've seen was anecdotal about a group of surgeons having a holiday gathering, and all the ones who wore procedure masks got infected, but the one who wore an N95 did not.

So far the people I know that are really good at masking but got it anyway were not wearing the higher filtration masks like N95/KN95/KF94. 

Not that I am happy to hear about ANYONE getting it, nor at ALL blaming them! They did the right thing, this virus is just changing the rules too fast for us to keep up - literally. Many of the high filtration masks are out of stock, or not shipping until february. 

Add in that my husband has a huge head and NONE of the better filtration masks we've bought fit him well. I mean, they fit unless he has to talk a lot, then they slip on the chin side, or he has to talk awkwardly. Fine for a store run, not fine when he is doing a 2 hour in person lecture. I'm at a loss. I found some 3 layer one with non woven fabric on Amazon that have an XL that supposedly fits really big heads. I'm thinking of getting that as it has what looks like a non woven layer, and is 3 layers instead of the cloth mask I made him at the start of the pandemic - the only one that he finds comfortable for talking in. https://amzn.to/3mZiwKc

But yeah, he won't be wearing an N95, so trust me I'm not judging, just gathering data. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

So far the people I know that are really good at masking but got it anyway were not wearing the higher filtration masks like N95/KN95/KF94. 

Not that I am happy to hear about ANYONE getting it, nor at ALL blaming them! They did the right thing, this virus is just changing the rules too fast for us to keep up - literally. Many of the high filtration masks are out of stock, or not shipping until february. 

Add in that my husband has a huge head and NONE of the better filtration masks we've bought fit him well. I mean, they fit unless he has to talk a lot, then they slip on the chin side, or he has to talk awkwardly. Fine for a store run, not fine when he is doing a 2 hour in person lecture. I'm at a loss. I found some 3 layer one with non woven fabric on Amazon that have an XL that supposedly fits really big heads. I'm thinking of getting that as it has what looks like a non woven layer, and is 3 layers instead of the cloth mask I made him at the start of the pandemic - the only one that he finds comfortable for talking in. https://amzn.to/3mZiwKc

But yeah, he won't be wearing an N95, so trust me I'm not judging, just gathering data. 

My dh has a huge head as well. We wear Lutema brand. Non vaxxed and haven’t gotten it yet even though we are out and about at stores, work (for me), and one indoor family gathering. 

• Like 1

Dh’s aunt just got a positive. I’m assuming Omicron bc of where she lives. She is vaxed but has some health issues. So far it’s been a cold with a fever. Unfortunately MIL and SIL were visiting when she got sick. They are now quarantining in a friend’s lake house.  Both vaxed. Both have minor other issues. MIl says she has a bit of a cough and is tired.  They are next door to SIL’s house. SIL’s  SO has several major preexisting conditions so they just wave. 

Also I just heard of a couple of folks in our church who have it. 

Edited by freesia
  • Sad 7

Have I updated about my mother, MIL and FIL? They’re in the nursing home with a current outbreak among mostly staff. 15 positives.

Both ILs have been sick—congested, coughing, sore throats. MIL has been on oxygen. She’s now got pneumonitis, on IV abx. They are calling hospice for an evaluation, but as of tonight she seems to be responding well (so maybe that’s not necessary?). FIL’s progressed to bronchitis. 

Facility only does RATs, no PCR without a positive RAT, and ILs have tested negative on the RAT. But today (a week or so into illness) the facility imposed quarantine, so now staff wears PPE in their room. I think it’s a little late, but better than nothing.

My mom is in the same facility, and had a day of congestion, coughing, sore throat and vomiting. She’s better now. Her roommate had the same thing. Also tested negative on RAT, but no PCR. 

• Sad 15

46 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Have you already tried the LG Airwasher XL KF94? There's also the BOTN XL, but the Airwasher is a little bigger. I believe the Airgami might come in an XL size one as well. Will he definitely not wear an N95, even if it's super breathable? The 3M V-flex gets super high marks for breathability and staying put when you are talking and singing.

42 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Ok, that's helpful in trying to find a bigger mask for DH! But he has a column called "collapse" with yes, no, or partial. Anyone know if collapse is a good thing or a bad thing?

Collapse is only an issue of comfort. Some people are more bothered than others if a mask collapses toward their face when they breathe in. Partial means it goes in a little, but not all the way against the face. Interestingly, color of mask can make a difference in that--black Bluna masks don't collapse while the white ones do just a little. Possibly the dye makes the fabric a little sturdier?

2 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Have I updated about my mother, MIL and FIL? They’re in the nursing home with a current outbreak among mostly staff. 15 positives.

Both ILs have been sick—congested, coughing, sore throats. MIL has been on oxygen. She’s now got pneumonitis, on IV abx. They are calling hospice for an evaluation, but as of tonight she seems to be responding well (so maybe that’s not necessary?). FIL’s progressed to bronchitis. 

Facility only does RATs, no PCR without a positive RAT, and ILs have tested negative on the RAT. But today (a week or so into illness) the facility imposed quarantine, so now staff wears PPE in their room. I think it’s a little late, but better than nothing.

My mom is in the same facility, and had a day of congestion, coughing, sore throat and vomiting. She’s better now. Her roommate had the same thing. Also tested negative on RAT, but no PCR. 

Maybe I already asked you this, but is there any chance of getting a rapid test that includes a throat swab on them?

• Like 2

Just now, KSera said:

Maybe I already asked you this, but is there any chance of getting a rapid test that includes a throat swab on them?

We tried and it’s a no. Grrrr. They are following their “guidelines” and that’s what they’re going to do. It’s like fighting the ocean current.

I have entertained some pretty cynical thoughts about the facility trying to keep their numbers down, but honestly I think they are just operating by the guidelines that worked pre-omicron, and they haven’t adjusted yet. Like lots of us. So I don’t really think it’s anything nefarious.

5 minutes ago, KSera said:

Have you already tried the LG Airwasher XL KF94? There's also the BOTN XL, but the Airwasher is a little bigger. I believe the Airgami might come in an XL size one as well. Will he definitely not wear an N95, even if it's super breathable? The 3M V-flex gets super high marks for breathability and staying put when you are talking and singing.

Collapse is only an issue of comfort. Some people are more bothered than others if a mask collapses toward their face when they breathe in. Partial means it goes in a little, but not all the way against the face. Interestingly, color of mask can make a difference in that--black Bluna masks don't collapse while the white ones do just a little. Possibly the dye makes the fabric a little sturdier?

We tried the BOTN XL and it wasn't big enough. Was just now trying to find the Airwasher but didn't see it in stock. 

It's not that he won't wear one, it is that it doesn't fit well enough for him to talk in it - it moves around and he ends up without full coverage - aka leaks. 

I am trying to find the 3M VFlex but those are also out of stock most places right now. I did find a big package of them for $60 bucks or more, but I hate to do taht if they then are not going to work for him. And I have ones that fit me well. (Flax brand KF94)

Will keep trying to find the Airwasher or 3M Vflex. 

53 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I found some 3 layer one with non woven fabric on Amazon that have an XL that supposedly fits really big heads. I'm thinking of getting that as it has what looks like a non woven layer, and is 3 layers instead of the cloth mask I made him at the start of the pandemic - the only one that he finds comfortable for talking in. https://amzn.to/3mZiwKc

We have those masks. They're what DH and DS23 wore before I upgraded to Enro masks last fall. They were very happy with the linked masks, but I got them Enros because I think they're probably much more protective (plus the linked ones had been washed so much I thought it was time to replace them). I tried to compare them for you. It's a bit difficult because the masks are shaped differently, but the Enro XLs are definitely bigger. I'd estimate they're about an inch longer from nose to chin, and about half an inch wider from ear to ear.

14 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Will keep trying to find the Airwasher or 3M Vflex. 

I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I see them. Or the Airgami. I also just did a quick search and saw a couple others suggested in this thread for people who find the BOTN too small:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Masks4All/comments/oqtvma/xl_kf94/

Another option could be a procedure mask with a mask brace to fit it to his face.

Edited by KSera

11 minutes ago, KSera said:

I'll keep an eye out and let you know if I see them. Or the Airgami. I also just did a quick search and saw a couple others suggested in this thread for people who find the BOTN too small:

Another option could be a procedure mask with a mask brace to fit it to his face.

thank you! I appreciate any help as we still have one kid too young for the vaccine, and some high risk family members. I'd prefer he wear the best he can. 

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

thank you! I appreciate any help as we still have one kid too young for the vaccine, and some high risk family members. I'd prefer he wear the best he can. 

Given your situation (and you may have already reached this conclusion yourself), I wouldn't rely on an Enro. The filter medium is only in the central portion of the mask, so there is a lot of inward leakage around the filter, and it does not achieve anything close to the advertised filtration rate (it's actually down in the 60-something percent, so procedure plus cloth would be better). I don't know if I'll ever trust a Wirecutter review for anything important after the mess up they made of that one. They really should publish a correction/retraction, and maybe they have, but I haven't heard about it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

We have those masks. They're what DH and DS23 wore before I upgraded to Enro masks last fall. They were very happy with the linked masks, but I got them Enros because I think they're probably much more protective (plus the linked ones had been washed so much I thought it was time to replace them). I tried to compare them for you. It's a bit difficult because the masks are shaped differently, but the Enro XLs are definitely bigger. I'd estimate they're about an inch longer from nose to chin, and about half an inch wider from ear to ear.

OOH! I was able to find an XL in the tech version - do you know which one you have? The Curv style is sold out still in XL - has been every time I've checked. 

1 minute ago, KSera said:

Given your situation (and you may have already reached this conclusion yourself), I wouldn't rely on an Enro. The filter medium is only in the central portion of the mask, so there is a lot of inward leakage around the filter, and it does not achieve anything close to the advertised filtration rate (it's actually down in the 60-something percent, so procedure plus cloth would be better). I don't know if I'll ever trust a Wirecutter review for anything important after the mess up they made of that one. They really should publish a correction/retraction, and maybe they have, but I haven't heard about it.

Well, never mind that then. Sigh. 

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, KSera said:

that reddit thread people mentioned the Korea Mask - no idea what they are talking about. Guess I'll wade in and see if I get a response. I couldnt' find one called that on Be Healthy. 

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

OOH! I was able to find an XL in the tech version - do you know which one you have? The Curv style is sold out still in XL - has been every time I've checked. 

We have the Tech style.

I have no idea what @KSerameans about the filter only being in the central portion. It's true that it doesn't cover the entirety of the outer mask area, but it amply covers the nose and mouth area with lots of room to spare, and it's easy to get a tight seal around the edges. We're very happy with them. Plus the menfolk here--even super high risk DH--have totally rebelled at the idea of wearing anything more restrictive. And I don't blame them, so it's certainly not something I'm pushing. I've used N95s before, and even though my lungs work perfectly I find them very difficult to breath in. No way could I tolerate a properly fitted one for very long. And if I can't do it I know they won't do it.

44 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

We tried the BOTN XL and it wasn't big enough. Was just now trying to find the Airwasher but didn't see it in stock. 

Where was it too small? Nose bridge to chin or across the cheeks? We had quite the time trying to fit a mask to my very tall husband. The BOTN XL does work for him (barely), but his issue is bridge to chin....totally curious if there's something out there that would be even better.

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Where was it too small? Nose bridge to chin or across the cheeks? We had quite the time trying to fit a mask to my very tall husband. The BOTN XL does work for him (barely), but his issue is bridge to chin....totally curious if there's something out there that would be even better.

Both, but mostly bridge to chin. But definitely both. He has the hardest time finding sunglasses, etc. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

We have the Tech style.

I have no idea what @KSerameans about the filter only being in the central portion. It's true that it doesn't cover the entirety of the outer mask area, but it amply covers the nose and mouth area with lots of room to spare, and it's easy to get a tight seal around the edges. We're very happy with them. Plus the menfolk here--even super high risk DH--have totally rebelled at the idea of wearing anything more restrictive. And I don't blame them, so it's certainly not something I'm pushing. I've used N95s before, and even though my lungs work perfectly I find them very difficult to breath in. No way could I tolerate a properly fitted one for very long. And if I can't do it I know they won't do it.

I can share the testing link if interested, but I'm not trying to knock anyone's mask. I just know that Katie is really after the most protective mask she can get for her dh, and was pretty sure she would want to know about that.

For anyone who hasn't tried a KF94, and is worried about breathability, I totally recommend buying a sample if you can, because they really are easier to breathe in and more comfortable for every person I know who has tried them after using cloth. I'm sure there are people that's not true for, but generally it's an upgrade in both filtration and comfort.

19 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I am so glad she is having mild symptoms. 

I get why they want to go back.   It is very important to them and where all their friends are.  They missed out on so much during the times we stayed home.  It feels like we are going to get it somehow anyway.  If you can get it just going into a store masked, it just feels like there isn't much you can do.    

Covid sucks!

I really want to know if you can get it even if you're wearing a good mask. I'm not talking about spending the entire day in a confined space with people, but just going to a store for a little while or something. (We aren't doing it anyway, but I wish there was more concrete information available. I realize that it's unethical to intentionally expose people to Covid, so it's hard to get the real-world statistics I want, but I still want to know!) 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I really want to know if you can get it even if you're wearing a good mask. I'm not talking about spending the entire day in a confined space with people, but just going to a store for a little while or something. (We aren't doing it anyway, but I wish there was more concrete information available. I realize that it's unethical to intentionally expose people to Covid, so it's hard to get the real-world statistics I want, but I still want to know!) 

I don't think we have the information with omicron to know, but the data with Delta makes me hopeful that if everyone in a location is wearing a really good mask, spread might be minimal:

image.thumb.png.99d55b8aa67c3586b1dc88e2fd5ae8dd.png

Again, that is Delta data, but the overall concept should hold, even if the numbers have to be reduced down.

eta: I want to add that this chart was based on a more detailed chart that appeared in another publication and which was better in stating the fifteen minute thing used as a starting place and the other numbers calculated from there. I think it’s clear we have no idea what the actual numbers would be, especially since different people will carry different viral loads, but I think the take home message of the different relative efficiencies and how they multiply when used together is the main thing. 

Edited by KSera
Adding caveat on numbers
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KSera said:

I don't think we have the information with omicron to know, but the data with Delta makes me hopeful that if everyone in a location is wearing a really good mask, spread might be minimal:

Again, that is Delta data, but the overall concept should hold, even if the numbers have to be reduced down.

Ha, I was just going to post that!  i do wish we had more O info.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, KSera said:

Thanks! 

I think they are saying that even with Delta, a person can catch Covid within far less than 15 minutes though, right? Or am I remembering it wrong? (I'm probably remembering it wrong!)

I'm mainly looking at the N95 numbers and hoping that transmission through the eyes is extremely uncommon. The eye thing scares me because it's just not practical to wear goggles all the time, and it's one of the reasons why I'm still nervous despite having good masks.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

My kids all wear Kn95 or KF94 masks and everyone here is as boosted and vaxxed as they can get.  Masks and temp checks at ballet.  And I know most people are vaxxed there as you had to be to be in the  last show.   Still cases are out of control and I am just sad, stressed, and over making choices. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

12 minutes ago, KSera said:

I can share the testing link if interested, but I'm not trying to knock anyone's mask. I just know that Katie is really after the most protective mask she can get for her dh, and was pretty sure she would want to know about that.

For anyone who hasn't tried a KF94, and is worried about breathability, I totally recommend buying a sample if you can, because they really are easier to breathe in and more comfortable for every person I know who has tried them after using cloth. I'm sure there are people that's not true for, but generally it's an upgrade in both filtration and comfort.

Thank you! And I totally agree about KF94 and breathability! They are so light and easy to breathe in - I had been wearing cloth and Happy Masks before that, and the KF94 ones are SO much nicer/more comfortable. Flax is my favorite I think, we also have Blona ones and tried soe PURI ones but Flax were my favorite. But all are much lighter and easier to breathe in/less hot than the cloth masks we have tried. We actually ordered some cute cloth ones right before Omicron hit, and were surprised how much less comfy they were. I really like that the boat shape keeps the mask off my nostrils/mouth as I breath in the KF94. 

11 minutes ago, KSera said:

The Airgami is a crazy looking mask, but it really looks like it would work well for someone who needs more length bridge to chin: https://www.airgami.life/?variant=32447621759159

Interesting! They are backlogged, said over 2 weeks to make them/ship but I will show DH. 

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

Thank you! And I totally agree about KF94 and breathability! They are so light and easy to breathe in - I had been wearing cloth and Happy Masks before that, and the KF94 ones are SO much nicer/more comfortable. Flax is my favorite I think, we also have Blona ones and tried soe PURI ones but Flax were my favorite. But all are much lighter and easier to breathe in/less hot than the cloth masks we have tried. We actually ordered some cute cloth ones right before Omicron hit, and were surprised how much less comfy they were. I really like that the boat shape keeps the mask off my nostrils/mouth as I breath in the KF94. 

Interesting! They are backlogged, said over 2 weeks to make them/ship but I will show DH. 

Yeah, I was very reluctant initially to move away from my carefully designed cloth masks, but then was so surprised how much I liked the KF94s, and the testing that Aaron Collins has done with them as worn gave me confidence to switch, because previously I trusted what I had made and knew exactly how it was constructed and why more than something unknown (I never did switch from wearing my own cloth masks to my Happy Mask for that reason).

On the Airgami, I thought the techie aspect of making the "micro-adjustments" to the Airgami to get the fit customized just right might appeal to your dh 😊.

1 minute ago, KSera said:

Yeah, I was very reluctant initially to move away from my carefully designed cloth masks, but then was so surprised how much I liked the KF94s, and the testing that Aaron Collins has done with them as worn gave me confidence to switch, because previously I trusted what I had made and knew exactly how it was constructed and why more than something unknown (I never did switch from wearing my own cloth masks to my Happy Mask for that reason).

On the Airgami, I thought the techie aspect of making the "micro-adjustments" to the Airgami to get the fit customized just right might appeal to your dh 😊.

I switched to happy masks mostly because they didn't stick to my face like the cloth did when hot and sweaty, but the KF94 are even better. 

And I think he might - he likes things that are different, so this may appeal. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Terabith said:

I think the policy all along here has been that if the kid is fully vaccinated, that they can come to school with a covid positive person in their home as long as they don't have symptoms or a positive test themselves.  And that seemed to work okay for previous variants, but not so much for this one.  

That has been our county's policy this school year as well. It worked okay in the fall and served as a great incentive for students to be fully vaccinated. However, I agree with you that it's not going to work so well with omicron 😞

5 hours ago, Spryte said:

Oh - not good. I hope they improve!!

Do you happen to know if they've been boosted? Worried about my (very high risk) parents and inlaws.

3 minutes ago, Mom_to3 said:

Oh - not good. I hope they improve!!

Do you happen to know if they've been boosted? Worried about my (very high risk) parents and inlaws.

Yes, all residents are boosted. But my ILs are very high risk. Both in their 80s, both wheelchair/bed-bound, definitely many risk factors for complications from any illness. It can be severe for anyone, of course, but they both definitely have higher than normal risk factors at play, unfortunately. My mom and her roommate are also very high risk, though, and whatever they had did not last long. It feels hard to predict. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Spryte said:

Yes, all residents are boosted. But my ILs are very high risk. Both in their 80s, both wheelchair/bed-bound, definitely many risk factors for complications from any illness. It can be severe for anyone, of course, but they both definitely have higher than normal risk factors at play, unfortunately. My mom and her roommate are also very high risk, though, and whatever they had did not last long. It feels hard to predict. 

Well - I would say this does not sound "mild" at all., unfortunately for many for us with parents at that stage of life.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 7:03 AM, ktgrok said:

Well, we are testing the wastewater here in Orlando (well, orange county to be exact) and finding almost all Omicron. They are saying that samples show almost 100% Omicron here, in wastewater. So...either it just likes us more or?

It is because Delta hit us in the summer.  SoOmicron is all thatisleft

12 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I think they are saying that even with Delta, a person can catch Covid within far less than 15 minutes though, right? Or am I remembering it wrong? (I'm probably remembering it wrong!)

I'm mainly looking at the N95 numbers and hoping that transmission through the eyes is extremely uncommon. The eye thing scares me because it's just not practical to wear goggles all the time, and it's one of the reasons why I'm still nervous despite having good masks.

No, you’re totally right. I’d have to find the original data the chart was based on to see the wording that explained that they chose to use that as a starting point, but I agree that people have caught it from super brief encounters. I added this note to the post with the chart:

I want to add that this chart was based on a more detailed chart that appeared in another publication and which was better in stating the fifteen minute thing used as a starting place and the other numbers calculated from there. I think it’s clear we have no idea what the actual numbers would be, especially since different people will carry different viral loads, but I think the take home message of the different relative efficiencies and how they multiply when used together is the main thing. 

• Thanks 1

DS tested positive on Tuesday. He has a mandatory 10 day isolation before he can return to work (company policy). He is doubled vaxxed but not boosted. He had the first variant early on in the pandemic so this is his second bout. He says this is much worse than the first variant but he believes some of it is stress related since there are no longer any special programs offering assistance to people who have to miss work. Losing this many shifts is problematic and he is concerned about finances. 

• Sad 15

10 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

That has been our county's policy this school year as well. It worked okay in the fall and served as a great incentive for students to be fully vaccinated. However, I agree with you that it's not going to work so well with omicron 😞

Here, the kid can be UNvaccinated and still come to school if they live with a covid-positive person. Aaaaaargh.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 8

13 hours ago, Longtime Lurker said:

That's nuts! There absolutely is a federal mandate!

ETA: Okay, saw the explanation. I get it now.

Kids aren't wearing masks on buses in a lot of districts near me. When the federal mandate was pointed out to them last year they just sort of shrugged and said it didn't apply to school buses. Mandates without enforcement aren't really mandates.

• Like 2