Menu

New house update - and i need an Xray

ktgrok

So, we started moving in on Saturday - got most boxes and about half our furniture. We emptied out the giant truck of the furniture on Saturday night, and a lot of boxes, and then slept here Saturday night with one of our dogs, the old brain damaged one, and left the other two with my oldest at the old house.  Sunday morning my husband brought in the boxes still on the truck and I was moving them to the various rooms they go in. On about my 3rd box, a big one I couldn't see around well, I tripped on a REALLY heavy box my 22 yr old had overstuffed with books. Went flying, landed on another box (crushing it). Thinking I may have broken my toe/foot 😞

The ortho clinic isn't open on Sundays, i don't trust urgent care to do much of anything but tell me to ice it and see an orthopedist (and never trust their readon xrays anyway), and it wasn't bad enough to deal with an emergency room copay. So iced it a few times, put my shoe on and sucked it up the rest of the day. If I walk carefully, and have a shoe on for stability, it isn't too bad pain wise. But it needs an xray. Going to go to the walk in ortho clinic in a little while. Its a 30 minute drive but the only ortho that does walk ins. Otherwise there is a free standing ER down the street, but I have no idea if they have ortho there to read xrays, or would say, "hey, that's broken, follow up with ortho". In which case I'd be driving that 30 minutes anyway, lol. 

Oh, and DS9 jumped down the last few stairs and was limping yesterday too!!! Maybe a little swollen, he says it hurts less today, and isn't limping, but it hurts to flex his foot. So my just take him with me rather than have it not get better and need a return trip. Sigh. 

In good news, the washer at the house has an old school agitator and does a great job!

more toe.jpg

toe front.jpg

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1
  • Sad 21

Yikes! I hope you feel better quickly!

On the bright side, everyone else can move the boxes from now on. 😁

When we moved to our current house I managed to break my nose, falling. So painful! Had to see a doc the day the big truck came for the big things. Such a PITA.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Thanks all. It doesn't hurt much as long as I don't use it 😉

Yeah, but you’re moving so you’re going to use it a LOT this week.  Kind of like saying your ribs only hurt when you breathe. 😁 I hope it’s just bruised. And hope your kiddo isn’t really injured. 

So, I have a hairline fracture of the proximal phalange of my big toe. Does not involve the joint, thankfully. I have to wear a stupid post op shoe thing that is the worlds ugliest sandal for 3 -4 weeks. I swear, I think that rather than stabilizing the toe the real purpose is to make walking such a PIA that you just give up and rest your foot, lol. Walking on it is hurting my hip/knee already. They did offer crutches, but with boxes everywhere that's just asking me to break my neck as well as my toe, lol. 

In good news, I'm allowed to stand/walk. In bad news, no heavy lifting. And um, yeah.....that's an issue. Thankfully DH's brother, who is younger and fit as he works for Fed Ex lifting boxes all day, is coming over any minute to help get the rest of the boxes out of the truck. DS22 offered to go buy groceries so I don't have to worry about dinner tonight. And my parents are coming to spend some time entertaining the 4 yr old tomorrow. So, could be worse. But given this is my first broken bone ever, my timing sucks, lol. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 19

I am so sorry. And I will offer my hurt foot advice (I have a lot of experience with this..) 

Sleep on the couch with your foot elevated above your heart. I have found that when I would sleep in my bed with my foot elevated,  I would end up with my foot off the pillows and not above the heart. Keep your foot wrapped tightly or compressed. I was shocked the difference this made in my pain. You don't have to ice the hurt part; you can ice above the injury, too, so you don't have to take off your wrap or cast.  AND (not that you can) stay off it for 48 hours - serious rest.  Best of luck!

{I had a severely inflamed Achilles tendon that the doctors (mulitple) said needed surgery. But I got a terrible, horrible, awful case of the flu that left me bedridden for almost 10 days. I literally only walked to the bathroom; probably averaging 300 steps a day. My achilles calmed down and I avoided surgery. Sure, I had bronchitis, a double ear infection, and lingering fatigue... for months - but staying off the foot makes a difference.}

• Like 4

So, to add to the injury count, my parents came over and DH, without thinking, told them to let themselves in. The 94 pound dog decided to make a dash for it out the door, and DH and my dad both tried to tackle her and ended up in a 3 way collision. My dad got road rash on both arms, and is on blood thinners so was bleeding all over. He and DH hit heads, and DH has had a headache since. And the dog lost a chunk of fur, but was okay. 

Then as if that wasn't embarrassing enough, the other big dog was whining a lot, and next thing I know I hear DH say, "I think Tracker needs to go out". I called for DS 22 to do it, and then hear, "Oh...he went". Then as I'm cleaning up the giant puddle of pee my mom says, "Wait, what's he doing? Oh...he's pooping!" And yup, my dog that has been house broken without an accident for the past 3 years had now both peed and pooped in the house in front of my parents. THEN as I'm getting a mop he proceeds to puke on the floor. He hit the trifecta of bodily fluids. All within minutes. 

They may never come back again. 

• Sad 18

13 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

So, to add to the injury count, my parents came over and DH, without thinking, told them to let themselves in. The 94 pound dog decided to make a dash for it out the door, and DH and my dad both tried to tackle her and ended up in a 3 way collision. My dad got road rash on both arms, and is on blood thinners so was bleeding all over. He and DH hit heads, and DH has had a headache since. And the dog lost a chunk of fur, but was okay. 

Then as if that wasn't embarrassing enough, the other big dog was whining a lot, and next thing I know I hear DH say, "I think Tracker needs to go out". I called for DS 22 to do it, and then hear, "Oh...he went". Then as I'm cleaning up the giant puddle of pee my mom says, "Wait, what's he doing? Oh...he's pooping!" And yup, my dog that has been house broken without an accident for the past 3 years had now both peed and pooped in the house in front of my parents. THEN as I'm getting a mop he proceeds to puke on the floor. He hit the trifecta of bodily fluids. All within minutes. 

Holy moly! Man Katie, you need alcohol and a LOT of chocolate!

• Like 5

10 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Oh my, I can't decide between the sad face and the laughy face - this sounds so over the top challenging I would be laugh/crying.  

I like your floors, your wall color, your nail polish - I hope you get to enjoy your new home soon!

• Like 1

Wow, what a couple of days. Enjoy that chocolate. I hope things get better quickly.

Added: I have one of those ugly foot boot/sandals. I've broken my toes so many times, I put it on before I go to the doctor. Your toe will feel better in a couple of days. Be careful, though, once the pain subsides and the swelling decreases, you might want to go without the sandal and do too much. The bone will still need to heal. This I know from experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

I trip going up. At least once a week.

The ortho said DS was his third stair injury that day! I was the first "kicking a box of books" injury that day though 🙂

1 hour ago, Granny_Weatherwax said:

Wow, what a couple of days. Enjoy that chocolate. I hope things get better quickly.

Added: I have one of those ugly foot boot/sandals. I've broken my toes so many times, I put it on before I go to the doctor. Your toe will feel better in a couple of days. Be careful, though, once the pain subsides and the swelling decreases, you might want to go without the sandal and do too much. The bone will still need to heal. This I know from experience.

Yeah, it already feels quite a bit better, just from you know, not going barefoot on the stairs carrying heavy boxes, lol. (I actually was wearing a shoe when it happened, and continued to most of the day after that, thank goodness. Without a shoe on it was way too painful. The day before I'd been moving stuff barefoot - can you imagine if I'd kicked the box barefoot?? Yikes! I only put on shoes because my feet were so sore from being on them so much the day before.)

• Like 2