Menu

Cultivating a New Hobby

Jenny in Florida

Still dealing with the depression, I keep looking at the supplies I have stashed for all of the things I used to enjoy doing or had planned/hoped to start doing. Unfortunately, in addition to struggling with just scraping up the interest or energy to do anything hobby-related, the assorted physical issues that have cropped up or worsened in the last couple of years are making it even more difficult to find something to do.

• Many years ago, I was big into cross stitching, but I had to give that up when my eyes and fingers made it no longer fun.
  • For the last decade, I did a ton of crocheting and learned to knit. However, in just the couple of years since I left the library (where I taught fiber arts classes in addition to technology), I've developed arthritis. Just this past week, I was also diagnosed with carpal tunnel in both wrists and neuropathy in both forearms. 
  • I used to enjoy making miniatures with polymer clay. I took a painting course a few years ago and enjoyed combining what I learned there with collage and other mixed media. And, after years of saying I wanted to pick it up again, I received a ukulele last Christmas. But, when it comes to all of those, functional fingers that don't drop things or hurt when they are used are, clearly, kind of necessary.
  • Baking and cooking used to be something I took pleasure in doing. Now that it's just my husband and me here and my own diet is so restricted, it's not especially rewarding.
  • Until the kids came along, I sang with choirs and folk groups at the churches I attended. These days, I do not belong to a church (and can't find one that feels like home), have some issues with tremors in my jaw that make even talking a challenge sometimes . . . I did try a community choir a couple of years ago, but it wasn't a good fit. Another "fun" side effect of the depression is that I have a lot of trouble (emotionally) listening to music, in general.

This came up today, because my husband and I were browsing a music store while waiting for a tow truck, and he kept encouraging me to look at books of music for the ukulele or piano books since I keep saying I want to build on the very basic skills I learned in six months of lessons as a kid.  I was forced to say out loud that I can no longer do those things without pain. (Even typing is sometimes hard for me -- I make a TON of typos -- but it doesn't require a lot of strength.)

Things I do still do: I walk a lot, including completing various challenges. I exercise, mostly with light weights and resistance bands as a form of physical therapy to try and stave off additional physical decline for as long as possible, but I also have a stationary bike and a mini-trampoline and access to a community pool. I'm slowly decorating the house we bought a few months ago. I read occasionally, although not as much as I use to (lack of attention span). I listen to a ton of podcasts and audiobooks. I am taking classes towards another graduate certificate.

What I feel like I'm lacking is some kind of creative engagement. Given the restrictions I've long-windedly described, can anyone suggest a craft or similar pursuit that I might be able to pick up, learn and do reasonably well?

I anticipate people will suggest gardening, but that's really just not my thing. Every now and then, I buy a few plants, but I'm not especially interested in learning about them or doing the kind of work that is necessary to do anything creative with them, and eventually everything dies. Then I wander around feeling guilty for being a plant murderer.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 3

What about singing? Not in a group, but taking lessons? That might help with tremor, and getting a better technique. Have you tried a voice coach for your speaking difficulties?

What about writing, but not typing, but recording via audio? Spoken word poetry, a memoir...

Would bellydancing or some other form of dance be possible with your physical issues?

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

Weaving on a loom. Sewing on a machine (depending on the project, the eyesight could be accommodated, I think). Making baskets. 

I know some of these things still use hands, but it is less fine motor and more gross motor than your previous pursuits.

Woodworking or refinishing with carefully selected projects.

Gardening with supports--raised beds, benches for working, and/or tools made to accommodate gardening with mobility issues? 

Making soap, candles, and/or homemade beauty products like lotions and lip balm. This has a big overlap with cooking types of tasks, but far less work chopping, etc. 

Painting ceramics--not all techniques are detailed, some are more about applying glazes, etc. 

Most of these are things I've known people with arthritis to do, but I realize some might still be not perfectly comfortable all the time. 

I hope you find some relief for your neuropathy and arthritis. I know there are a wide range of outcomes with both and reasons for both. 

Are you considering carpal tunnel surgery? It was a MAJOR relief for everyone I know that has had it, including my DH. 

• Like 1

As a new Empty Nester, I was reassessing hobbies this past year (plus the Quarantine Time).

I ended up sorting and scanning our old photos.  Scanned 4-at-a-time on our flatbed scanner.
It was a delightful time to reminisce . . . plus I've enjoyed easily sharing them with extended family, or to make birthday cards, etc.

Also, I've watched lots of decluttering Youtubes, and have slowly decluttered and cleaned our house.
Maybe not a "fun" hobby . . . but it absolutely improved my attitude and our enjoyment of our house.

Another avenue of thought is to put more time into celebrating your parents, friend's or chidren's birthdays in a more meaningful way.
Things that I normally didn't have the time to do . . . but now we do.

My new task is to digitize our DVDs.

Best wishes on this new endeavor. 
Digging out of depression is a challenge, but seeing some light at the end of the tunnel is wonderful.

• Like 3

Photography is an interesting idea! Or digital art of some kind? 

Otherwise, sewing on a machine might work, much less fine motor than knitting/crochet. I do get eye strain sometimes, but that's when I am being stubborn and don't keep my reading glasses nearby, lol. I'd say to make sure you get a cutting mat and rotary cutter - those are SOOOOO much easier on your hands than using scissors!  I have some weakness/arthritis in my hands and a rotary cutter is something I held off on, and kicked myself for not getting sooner. Plus the mat plus a ruler means I actually get straight lines, lol. 

Oh! And with you having trouble finding tops that fit properly, if you got decent at it, you could sew your own tops custom fit!

To syou tart can pretty easily make decor items, or try your hand at quilting (on the machine). You can even buy the squares already cut, get a quilting foot for the machine, etc to make it easier. I figure a lot of old ladies with bad eyesight and shaky hands have quilted, right? When I have the space and time when kids are older I want to get into it. If only because it is an easy route to meeting people - quilting shops seem very cool and they are always helpful. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

Start learning a language? Duolingo is free, and if I spend a little time on it I feel like I've accomplished something at least a little bit worthwhile. I'm pretty terrible at pronouncing other languages, but okay at learning to read them. I think it will be fun to read a book like Harry Potter in another language.

• Like 4

The more I think about it, I'm betting there are resources for sewing with hand issues - there have to be. 

I do find sewing MUCH easier on the hands than knitting/crochet. Knitting gave me tendonitis pretty quickly. Sewing is more gross motor, moving your fabric forward not tiny stuff, I'd think. 

Or jams? Sauces? Furniture refinishing? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

The more I think about it, I'm betting there are resources for sewing with hand issues - there have to be. 

I do find sewing MUCH easier on the hands than knitting/crochet. Knitting gave me tendonitis pretty quickly. Sewing is more gross motor, moving your fabric forward not tiny stuff, I'd think. 

Or jams? Sauces? Furniture refinishing? 

Good ideas!

I have arthritis and carpal tunnel in both hands (braces worn at night) and I can piece quilts on my machine with no pain. I use a weighted rotary cutter for cutting fabric. Scissors to cut thread cause no pain. I’m sure I could garment sew with no pain but hand sewing is off the table.   I think I can machine sew because I don’t grip or have to bend my fingers much. Making a fist hurts so I sew keeping my fingers mostly straight.  

I refinish furniture but can’t hand sand or use a paint brush for extended periods of time. As long as I keep sessions of those activities under 45 min I’m ok.  If I wear my braces I can work longer but it’s not much fun. 

Jenny, what kind of motions cause you pain? Knowing those can help you find a hobby that won’t aggravate your injuries. For me it’s things like peeling veggies and cutting them on a cutting board and turning a door knob. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Annie G said:

Jenny, what kind of motions cause you pain? Knowing those can help you find a hobby that won’t aggravate your injuries. For me it’s things like peeling veggies and cutting them on a cutting board and turning a door knob. 

So, for me it's a combination of things that cause pain (making fists, trying to hold or carry anything 'heavy') and the fact that my fingers and hands are simply really weak and clumsy. I have trouble gripping things securely -- I regularly drop soap and razors and such several times before I can finish a shower -- and when I do use my fingers to grip tightly, they sometimes get stuck until I use the other hand to manually move them. I get super frustrated because I simply cannot make my fingers do what I want them to do.

• Sad 1

Loom weaving is something I have always kind of wanted to learn, but when I've investigated it recently, I'm getting the feeling that the kinds of projects I could manage would not be things I would find appealing. I don't think I would be able to do the kind of fine, delicate work I would want to make. And projects using tools and materials chunky enough for me to handle would not be things I would want to have around the house or that would be appropriate giftables for people in my life.

When it comes to things like creative writing . . . I think it just hasn't been fun for me since I started using my language skills for more mundane professional purposes. After a day or a week of trying to write content for online courses on driver education and OSHA compliance, I really don't have any motivation to write poetry.

What I'm realizing as I ponder everyone's suggestions is that the things that are appealing to me often have some kind of element of collaboration (although only in a behind-the-scenes way -- I do not like to draw attention to myself directly) or community involvement or sharing. 

• Crocheting is ideal for creating gifts and things to donate. I also started a collaborative event when I worked at the library that evolved from your basic yarn-bombing thing to a full-on themed installation. (This declined after I left that job and has, obviously, gone away completely in the age of covid.) 
  • Singing in church choirs not only provided me (and my very limited vocal abilities) with opportunities to help create a larger harmony, but also to gift my church community with the music for services and events. 
  • Baking and cooking allowed me to feed my family and bake gifts for friends.

I forgot to mention it above, but I also used to volunteer in behind-the-scenes ways for my kids' performing arts endeavors. I supervised dressing rooms and helped with costumes and staffed concession stands  . . .

Like everything else in my life, my hobbies need to have some kind of direction or purpose in order to be rewarding. 

So, for example, singing alone is not appealing.

One of the reasons I slowed down/stopped doing the mixed media stuff was that I had a stack of pieces that had no purpose or destination. I showed at a couple of exhibits but didn't sell anything. I gave away pieces to my daughter and made a few gifts for family, but I lost steam when storing became a problem.

This pandemic I bought a knitting machine.  It's huge, but gentler on the hands and arms than stick knitting. I also took up a musical instrument. 

For years, one of my hobbies has been to take pictures stored on my computer and turn them into music videos for different things: a video for a family trip, or for a year..there are plenty of sites to help with the formatting and everything else.

• Like 1

Would baking things to be served to the homeless give an outlet? I know my church does weekly shifts at Second Harvest I think - and would welcome baked goods to hand out. Or if you would rather do in person, and are comfortable being in person, they meet at the church to cook in the big kitchen once a week. Something like that?

There are online volunteer jobs that are things like graphic design or what not. 

Photography, if you take photos at say, a botanical garden you can share the images with them to put on their website, or photos of the animals at a wildlife rehab can be shared with them to use in social media, etc. Those kinds of things can be really helpful for the organization. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

So, for me it's a combination of things that cause pain (making fists, trying to hold or carry anything 'heavy') and the fact that my fingers and hands are simply really weak and clumsy. I have trouble gripping things securely -- I regularly drop soap and razors and such several times before I can finish a shower -- and when I do use my fingers to grip tightly, they sometimes get stuck until I use the other hand to manually move them. I get super frustrated because I simply cannot make my fingers do what I want them to do.

Yours sounds very much like mine, right down to the fingers locking.  I sympathize- I really had to adjust my expectations when I retired and thought I was going to do *all* the things I never had time for.  Mine has improved with diligent brace wearing and modification of activities…took three years. I hope yours improves- it’s so tiring to constantly face activities you just can no longer do. 

If sewing is ‘ok’, would you consider making blankets or quilts to donate? Project Linus is a good organization and likely has a chapter near you.  I’ve done projects for them in the past, as well as quilts of valor.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Would baking things to be served to the homeless give an outlet? I know my church does weekly shifts at Second Harvest I think - and would welcome baked goods to hand out. Or if you would rather do in person, and are comfortable being in person, they meet at the church to cook in the big kitchen once a week. Something like that?

I am not aware of any food panty that accepts home-made baked goods, since they cannot do any kind of quality control. I was unable to find any specific statement about it on the site of my local Second Harvest, but most of the partner organizations have statements similar to this one in their "What Not to Donate" lists:

• Baked goods: Similar to leftovers, since food banks can’t confirm how your baked goods were made or their ingredients, they can’t be donated. But, food banks often have relationships with local restaurants or bakeries which will donate extra food that is properly labeled and handled to nearby pantries, soup kitchens or shelters.
    (https://www.feedingamerica.org/hunger-blog/what-donate-food-bank-and-what-avoid)

I'm also sadly aware that my local organizations need my money much more than any physical objects I might donate. They are a whole lot more efficient buying in bulk than they can be accepting loads of random items that need to be sorted and checked before they can be distributed. I did find this on the Central Florida Second Harvest site:

• Does the food bank need more food or money?
    Certainly the Food Bank needs both of these vital ingredients to be successful in helping our neighbors.  It can be helpful to consider, however, that for every $10 contributed to our mission, we can distribute $90 worth of food.  That’s up to nine times more food than you would be able to access at retail (or even wholesale club) prices if you bought it yourself and gave the food.  And the difference becomes even more significant as the amount of a gift grows.  For example, consider what the $9,000 worth of groceries made possible by a $1,000 gift might look like!
    (https://www.feedhopenow.org/site/SPageServer/?pagename=about_faq#donate4)

So, since my end goal is to assist the organization in the most meaningful way that I can (remember that pesky goal-oriented personality quirk), I generally choose to just give bucks, rather than stuff. I donate regularly to Feeding America (which partners with Second Harvest) through the Run Across America challenges. (My rule of thumb is to donate an amount at least equal to the entry fee directly to the organization each time I register for an event that benefits a charity.)

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 1

I've seen a couple of people suggest photography and digital art stuff, but that just doesn't scratch the same itch for me as making something tangible with my hands. I do some of it, and I enjoy it sometimes, but it's not appealing as a replacement for the things I used to love. (This is also a situation in which it may be a little too close to what I do professionally. I develop online courses, which includes creating graphics and editing audio files and such. So, it's less fun to do it, well, for fun.)

Jenny, I have followed your struggles and I am saying this gently in the spirit of love:
You seem to shoot down every suggestion with a reason why it cannot work for you because you have a very clear preconceived notion what exactly the hobby should do for you and how exactly you believe it would benefit you.
I think this may not be leading anywhere, because it feels like this is all just confirming, in your mind, that there is nothing for you.

I think what you need is to try some things that are crazy and completely out of character for you, something you never thought you would enjoy, be good at, even consider (when I was searching, I, who has never crafted in her life and despised doing things with hands, tried painting and crocheting to see what shakes lose in the brain). Think of the most unlikely things that you know nothing about and never had an interest in. Go skydiving, try sailing, take a salsa class, enter a cooking competition. NOT because these are the things you will want to do for the rest of your life, but because the unexpected can bring you a revelation.  And do it just for yourself, not with an eye on how it benefits another person. It's a very noble thing to want to be of service, but I have the feeling you might, for once, need exactly the opposite.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 25

[I have no idea what I'm talking about, I just saw like a 30 second video on Reddit last year and thought it was amazing]

What about making lace? you already have a good introduction to thread-based crafts so this probably wouldn't be a hard transition. All of the images I see when I search you are using miniature rolling pins (to use the technical term.....) to move the threads around so I'm assuming other than the set up and end steps would not need fine finger movement? 

I often hesitate to reply, but I’ve read a lot of your threads, Jenny.  I know this probably isn’t going to work for you, it’s not the type of thing you are seeking, but every time I see this thread … this unformed idea keeps popping into my head. You have worked so hard, so diligently, through depression and obstacles … I feel like there is a gift you have to share with others who feel the same way.  It’s not a hobby with a tangible result, but what about somehow providing support for people who are going through the same?  I’m not sure what that would look like for you.  I feel like maybe it could take the form of encouraging words, somehow, talking or typing, but not really sure, maybe as part of a support group or some organization that connects people.  You have worked so hard, You could encourage others. It just keeps popping into my head.  Do what you will with that random thought!

To share an example that’s somewhat related, my mom suffers from depression, and as a lifelong artist … she cannot simply stop.  She still does metal sculpture compulsively. She now gives boxes and boxes of her work to her psychiatrist’s front office staff, with handwritten notes of encouragement for other patients.  She never knows where her work goes, only that it brightens someone’s day, and the staff gives her pieces to people who need it. Her work supported her, put me through college, is all over the world and was in the Smithsonian, she’s never just given it away, but she feels compelled to offer hope to others in the only way she knows how.  It’s sweet. If you lived close to us, she’d desperately want to teach you, as it’s basically a dying art, alas.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 7

53 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I am not aware of any food panty that accepts home-made baked goods, since they cannot do any kind of quality control. I was unable to find any specific statement about it on the site of my local Second Harvest, but most of the partner organizations have statements similar to this one in their "What Not to Donate" lists:

• Baked goods: Similar to leftovers, since food banks can’t confirm how your baked goods were made or their ingredients, they can’t be donated. But, food banks often have relationships with local restaurants or bakeries which will donate extra food that is properly labeled and handled to nearby pantries, soup kitchens or shelters.
    (https://www.feedingamerica.org/hunger-blog/what-donate-food-bank-and-what-avoid)

I'm also sadly aware that my local organizations need my money much more than any physical objects I might donate. They are a whole lot more efficient buying in bulk than they can be accepting loads of random items that need to be sorted and checked before they can be distributed. I did find this on the Central Florida Second Harvest site:

Certainly the Food Bank needs both of these vital ingredients to be successful in helping our neighbors.  It can be helpful to consider, however, that for every $10 contributed to our mission, we can distribute $90 worth of food.  That’s up to nine times more food than you would be able to access at retail (or even wholesale club) prices if you bought it yourself and gave the food.  And the difference becomes even more significant as the amount of a gift grows.  For example, consider what the $9,000 worth of groceries made possible by a $1,000 gift might look like!

So, since my end goal is to assist the organization in the most meaningful way that I can (remember that pesky goal-oriented personality quirk), I generally choose to just give bucks, rather than stuff. I donate regularly to Feeding America (which partners with Second Harvest) through the Run Across America challenges. (My rule of thumb is to donate an amount at least equal to the entry fee directly to the organization each time I register for an event that benefits a charity.)

hmm. I know I've donated home baked cookies ( on request from the church) for when it is their turn to feed. I think they had to be in individual baggies or something, but definitely was allowed. Maybe that was an exception for a particular event? All the other stuff is made or prepped in the church kitchen and then taken there. 

oh! I think it was coalition for the homeless maybe? I'll check. 

Edited by ktgrok

37 minutes ago, Spryte said:

To share an example that’s somewhat related, my mom suffers from depression, and as a lifelong artist … she cannot simply stop.  She still does metal sculpture compulsively. She now gives boxes and boxes of her work to her psychiatrist’s front office staff, with handwritten notes of encouragement for other patients.  She never knows where her work goes, only that it brightens someone’s day, and the staff gives her pieces to people who need it. Her work supported her, put me through college, is all over the world and was in the Smithsonian, she’s never just given it away, but she feels compelled to offer hope to others in the only way she knows how.  It’s sweet. If you lived close to us, she’d desperately want to teach you, as it’s basically a dying art, alas.

Your mum is a cool person.

So I did basket weaving a few years back using natural materials and really enjoyed it. 

Painting has been really enjoyable, especially if you go with abstract and just enjoy colour rather than having to focus on drawing realistic things. 

I don't know if you can get access to occupational therapy, but that's what it should be about - improving your hand ability through functional activities (which is why people often thought OTs spent all their time basket-weaving).

If you google Judith Scott - she was an artist with Down syndrome and her fibre 'sculptures' are amazing. That would be really fun to do. 

I just wanted to offer a bit of hope.

In 2011, the weight of a kindle was too heavy for my hands. I could barely hold a steering wheel, let alone a pen without pain. I also had carpal tunnel in both wrists in addition to my rheumatoid arthritis. I could barely walk a block, and I was also tripping quite a bit. 

Today I can do almost anything I want to (under 10 lbs). The change came in finding the right medication to put my RA into remission, followed by a ton of physical therapy.

Just because things are awful now doesn’t mean necessarily that they always will be. No one told me that, and it would have been so helpful to have heard stories of actual real improvement. 

I agree with regentrude. Do something you wouldn’t normally pick, even if it’s something you don’t think you will like and may not be able to do well. My current new thing is surfing. I decided about a decade ago that my life had become too small and needed to be bigger. Some things went well. Others didn’t. But my world is much bigger than it used to be.

• Like 11

Not all artists work with their hands.

Chihuly doesn't make any of his own glass pieces.  He plans them and others blow them.  Tapestry artists are now usually designer/weavers, but that was not always so--historically one designed and a team wove or embroidered.  Writers can dictate to scribes or to a service. People who want to work with paper use a Cricut pretty often, and combine existing graphics on the computer to put together input for it.  My soon to be ex sister in law takes photos on her phone and modifies and embellishes them with phone apps  and added text to create art, and then sells her designs as prints or mugs or downloads.  

Honestly, I wish you would write.  You have a great voice, and your essays would be thoughtful and thought-provoking.  If you would enjoy it, I hope you do it.  You'd certainly be good at it.  You can dictate at least the first drafts into a voice to text app, and then correct/edit from there, I think.  Also, writers' groups are supposed to be awesome.

I second the person who talked about voice lessons.  I took a very few of these, and they helped me to understand the director of my later VERY GOOD choir much better.  That kind of education is never wasted, I don't think.  Also we have a woman with CF in our choir who really can't sing.  She does her best in the rehearsals but does not perform in the concerts.  Our choir is big enough that the rehearsal flubs are not disruptive, and also is unusually inclusive, so that I am sure would not work everywhere, but it's at least an existence example.

Regarding fiber hobbies, I take your point about not wanting to weave with bulky materials, but pictorial weaving with them can be very effective--it's not all 'cool, man' jute from the 60s.  (See, for instance, Peruvian fleece weaving.)  Arm knitting with huge yarns is kind of a fad right now, and it doesn't take nearly as much dexterity as knitting with needles.  The results are actually quite elegant, not crude like they sound.  Tied blankets made out of fleece are awesome presents, whether they are throws for college dorms or baby blankets or lap robes for old folks' homes.  And macrame made of BIG cord is extremely popular right now--even lucrative I think.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

My local homeless shelter accepts home-baked goods.  One of their needs is for sack lunches for people in their facility who have jobs to go to.  They ask for things that are not to crumbly/breakable that will hold up will in lunches. 

The Ronald McDonald house where I am also accepts homebaked goods.  They like to have some grab-and-go options for parents who may be coming in all hours of the day or night.

My church has a freezer which individuals stock with baked goods to be used for receptions and other events and casseroles and soups to be taken to the sick, to new mothers, when their is a death, etc. and can be used if someone shows up at the church asking for food assistance.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, regentrude said:

Jenny, I have followed your struggles and I am saying this gently in the spirit of love:
You seem to shoot down every suggestion with a reason why it cannot work for you because you have a very clear preconceived notion what exactly the hobby should do for you and how exactly you believe it would benefit you.
I think this may not be leading anywhere, because it feels like this is all just confirming, in your mind, that there is nothing for you.

I think what you need is to try some things that are crazy and completely out of character for you, something you never thought you would enjoy, be good at, even consider (when I was searching, I, who has never crafted in her life and despised doing things with hands, tried painting and crocheting to see what shakes lose in the brain). Think of the most unlikely things that you know nothing about and never had an interest in. Go skydiving, try sailing, take a salsa class, enter a cooking competition. NOT because these are the things you will want to do for the rest of your life, but because the unexpected can bring you a revelation.  And do it just for yourself, not with an eye on how it benefits another person. It's a very noble thing to want to be of service, but I have the feeling you might, for once, need exactly the opposite.

I always feel badly about that perception of "shooting down," but I think that comes from a couple of things:

• I tend to be a pretty self-sufficient person who enjoys research, and I don't come here (or anywhere) to ask for help until I have really, really scrounged and dug and run out of resources or ideas. If the answer were simple, I would have found it and never asked for help. So a good number of the ideas people will suggest are things I have already tried or ruled out. (And, since we're talking hobbies, I do think there has to be some spark of interest to get one started. Otherwise, it's just another chore to be done.) That's one of the reasons my initial posts in these threads are often long; I'm trying to save people time by providing background to give a full picture of what I've already explored.
  • I always feel awkward asking for help or suggestions and then not responding at all. That feels rude. I feel like, if someone takes the time and effort to try and help me, they deserve a meaningful response, especially when the responses are phrased in a "have you tried" way. So, I reply, but it comes off sounding like I'm dismissing, rather than explaining. If folks have suggestions for how to address that challenge, some way that I can respond and make it clear I have read and considered people's suggestions, without sounding like I'm "shooting them down," I would appreciate hearing those.

And, to be clear, it's not always about benefitting another person (although that is always the thing that is most appealing to me), but I just plain cannot maintain interest in things that don't have a point. Even when my kids were little, I was never the mom who just played with them. I would play games, do craft projects, read aloud, bake stuff, go on field trips, etc. But just sitting on the floor and playing was absolute torture. 

So, I have been perfectly happy to crochet or knit dishtowels or pot scrubbies to use in my own kitchen (fully stocked up now). I have enjoyed repainting furniture so it can be used in a different room in my house. I have the squares for an afghan I was crocheting for our living room stuffed in a bag in my craft closet. None of those were done from any sense of "nobility," but because they were a way to put to practical use a skill I had and enjoyed using. 

I also have to say that the stuff in my initial post was by no means an exhaustive list of the various things I have explored, because I was focusing on the "creative" itch that I am specifically seeking to scratch. I left off, for example, the fact that I joined a dance studio a few years ago and took classes in a bunch of different styles . . . until I injured my knee and was told by my doctor to knock it off. In the interim, I've been diagnosed with arthritis in both knees in addition to the neuropathy. I'm allowed to walk, bike gently, swim, do the exercises prescribed by the physical therapists and use the mini-trampoline. Anything that potentially twists my knees or involves much in the way of impact is off the table. 

I also didn't mention the hiking and camping I've been experimenting with (when the ugly Florida weather cooperates), because I was focusing on activities that would offer "creative engagement." I've done various kinds of crafts and creative things since my childhood, and that feels like a large and specific hole in my life that is not being filled by the other activities I'm using to kill time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

occupational therapy is a good point - if you are having that much trouble with dexterity and pain you really do need to see an OT. 

I did discuss this with my (awful) neurologist at my last appointment when the carpal tunnel and neuropathy in my hands was confirmed. I'm still pondering whether I want to pursue that, since I've been through three courses of physical therapy for my broken arm and arthritis in my knees without seeing a ton of benefit compared to the time and energy it took to go to appointments. (The initial sessions for the broken arm were helpful, but at some point even the therapist told me I'd get as much benefit from just doing the exercises at home, which I am continuing to do a year after the break.)

7 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I did discuss this with my (awful) neurologist at my last appointment when the carpal tunnel and neuropathy in my hands was confirmed. I'm still pondering whether I want to pursue that, since I've been through three courses of physical therapy for my broken arm and arthritis in my knees without seeing a ton of benefit compared to the time and energy it took to go to appointments. (The initial sessions for the broken arm were helpful, but at some point even the therapist told me I'd get as much benefit from just doing the exercises at home, which I am continuing to do a year after the break.)

OT is a different animal entirely - more focused on practical, day to day stuff. So rather than random exercises, it should be focused on helping you do the things you want with the least difficulty possible, whatever that is. And it may well involve exercises, but also teaching adaptations - different ways to grip that are less painful, tricks and tips for daily life, etc. Totally practical stuff. My mom has crippling hand arthritis - she's in fairly serious pain 24/7 and has been for a decade, and she swears by OT for helping her not just have the most functionality, but for helping her be more creative and see the situation differently. And others I've known also swear by it. If anyone is qualified to give advice on what kind of crafts/hobbies/creative arts you could do, they are. For sure. (assuming you find a good one - I get that)

Also, if at some point you could PM me the neurology practice you have had so many issues with, it would be good for me to know who to avoid if I ever need one!

• Like 5

I know an older man who took up slide guitar after his hands could no longer handle fretting chords. I play ukulele, and while I’ve never played it with a slide I know it can be done.  You have to use an open tuning if you are trying to avoid freeing chords. Here’s an article that might get you started, or at least help you figure out if it’s something you want to look into. Since you’ve got a ukulele the only expense would be a slide, and they’re not too expensive.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Also, if at some point you could PM me the neurology practice you have had so many issues with, it would be good for me to know who to avoid if I ever need one!

Actually, I totally don't mind posting it publicly. I've posted negative reviews on various sites already.

It's Florida Institute of Neurology. They have multiple locations, but I have mostly been seen in their St. Cloud and Poinciana locations.

(As a side note: I spoke to the NP who works with my radiation oncologist this morning, hoping they might be able to recommend a neurologist. She said that neither she nor the doctor knew of anyone who was accepting outpatients. Apparently, her own sister asked her the same thing a couple of months ago and followed up on the few suggestions the NP was able to offer, only to find that none of them were actually doing outpatient care. The NP ended the call by saying it's "really hard to find a good neurologist in this area," which at least had the positive effect of making me feel like I'm not crazy or unreasonable.)

• Sad 1

I know the frustration of losing previously enjoyed hobbies to carpal tunnel, though I realize you’ve got a lot of other issues too. Could you do things like knitting, only in much shorter increments of time than before?

2 minutes ago, Emba said:

I know an older man who took up slide guitar after his hands could no longer handle fretting chords. I play ukulele, and while I’ve never played it with a slide I know it can be done.  You have to use an open tuning if you are trying to avoid freeing chords. Here’s an article that might get you started, or at least help you figure out if it’s something you want to look into. Since you’ve got a ukulele the only expense would be a slide, and they’re not too expensive.

I've never heard of this, but it sounds interesting. Thanks!

• Like 2

Just now, Emba said:

I know the frustration of losing previously enjoyed hobbies to carpal tunnel, though I realize you’ve got a lot of other issues too. Could you do things like knitting, only in much shorter increments of time than before?

Any time I have to grip something tightly, I run the risk of having my fingers lock up. It's just not fun anymore.

• Sad 3

Hi Jenny,

Re your hands: Mine were in terrible condition for years due to arthritis and connective tissue damage. In my case, I saw dramatic improvement with two things—I do not know if my situation matches yours but will tell you what helped me in case it may be useful to you. One was that I stopped eating some foods I am intolerant to. Staying away from gluten especially changed everything for me. 

The other thing I tried was a combination of ice and working with first water, then rice, then playdough. My PT had given me some exercises but they didn’t seem to do a whole lot. I have digestive issues so I cannot take anti-inflammatory meds too much. To keep inflammation at bay, I immersed by aching hands in cool water w a few ice cubes a couple times per day. When my pain was most acute I followed with diclofenac cream.

To build strength, in addition to the targeted PT exercises, I kept out a huge bowl of uncooked rice. It just lived on my dining room table. Whenever I walked past, I would dig in my hands and just play with the rice using a range of motions. I progressed from that after several months to cautiously using playdough to provide more resistance. If you use playdough, make a huge homemade batch so you have plenty.

I did also use wrist braces for quite a while to help stabilise in a neutral position. And I learned to pick up things (laundry baskets, for example) with my forearms.

My hands are still painful (especially wrists) but I saw major, huge gains over about two years. I went from hardly using my hands for much to mostly doing what I want. I cannot crochet any more (way too much repetitive stress), but I cook and sew and other things.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Here the food banks and food pantries won't take homemade food, but the wagons that distribute food on the streets, the emergency shelters, and the longer term shelters definitely do.  

• Like 1

At my worst, I did deep water aerobics. You are completely non weight bearing, and in a float belt so no risk of falling, hurting oneself, or drowning.

There are an entire series of certified arthritis courses that are staffed by trained people in most cities.

Once things started to improve, I moved to aqua Zumba and a wider variety of things. I was still waist deep so most of the weight was off my hips and knees. Zumba felt like dance to me, and was a good outlet.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 2