Menu

Does your child use notebooks or binders for their high school courses? How do they (and you) organize coursework?

Does your child use binders or spiral notebooks for their high school coursework? (This probably seems like a silly question, but if we go with binders, I want to invest in nice ones that will last the long haul of high school. I'd need 5-7 total, so it's not an insignificant investment, financially. I also want to think ahead to long-term record-keeping, and which format makes the most sense in that regard.) 

Spiral notebook pros:

• Portable (easy to move through the house and to activities with these)
  • Folds back on itself for easy writing
  • Everything is bound together, so it stays in one place and in chronological order (notes won't go mysteriously missing like loose leaf paper on a clipboard tends to do)
  • Easy to study from/easy to look back at previous work and notes

Spiral notebook cons:

• Size (# of pages) is pre-determined and inflexible.
  • Would need a separate folder for labs and papers, etc. (or to tape them in)
  • Once ripped out, pages can't go back in 

Binder pros:

• Can add loose sheets and extra handouts easily
  • Can rearrange materials and add sections as needed
  • I love the tidiness of page protectors
  • Durable

Binder cons:

• Takes up tons of space (both shelf space and desk space). My kids hate how big and bulky binders tend to be and how much table space they take up when opened flat. Leaves little room for writing and other books.
  • Much less portable. (My kids are less likely to carry binders around to their rooms, throw them into bags, flip through them, etc.)  

I'd love inspiration. What does your child use for their high school coursework? A separate notebook/binder for each subject? One giant binder with five or six sections? A notebook for notes and a corresponding binder for labs and papers? Some other system entirely? How do you store finished work for long-term record keeping?

Thank you!

• Like 1

My kids used large spiral notebooks with graph paper for math (the  large Fivestar ones; regular notebooks are a smaller format and were disliked). They went through several (3-4) notebooks each year for math. Pages were never ripped out.

For the other subjects, preferences varied between notebooks and lose leaf paper in binders.

It all depends on what the source of their materials is and what they are supposed to complete:
Will there be photocopied pages or worksheets that need to be filed? That requires a binder.
Will they be taking copious notes? Notebook.
Will most of their work be completed on the computer? Then teach them a good organization system for their files but don't have them print out everything.
Will their labs come with a designated lab notebook, or are you creating your own? For our home based labs, we taught them to use a bound notebook with the pagers numbered through upfront, like we were required to have in college - you can't rip out a page because the data aren't what you expect, which is an old safeguard against falsifying results.

ETA: Binders: one per subject per year. Long term storage: I kept one 1 inch binder per kid per school year with the most important papers: tests, major essays, curriculum outlines.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

Echoing regentrude and adding that we actually went with some cheaper binders (like Dollar Tree cheap) for a few subject where it made sense to have a 3 ring binder but the flimsy binder actually folded back and wasn't as bulky. They barely made it a semester, but it worked.

My older kids tried the big binder with tabs/ trapper binder a few times and always switched to a smallish ring binder + spiral notebook for each subject.

My youngest likes top-bound graph paper for math classes, but we haven't been able to find those the last year or so.

• Like 1

We use binders.  Cost wasn't an issue as my husband would bring home binders from his office's recycle bin. I have binders that are still surviving from the 90s which were outdated office supplies (internship company changed their company logo while I was there).

My kids sometimes have multiple binders for each subject. For example, they have at least two each for AP Chem and AP Physics and these are the 3" binders. They have used binders since elementary school. Their outsourced classes asked them to have a notebook and a binder for each class. 

My kids do not like spiral notebooks at all. DS16 especially would take out the spirals. We end up paying more for the Mead notebooks. DS16 likes the Molekine and Oasis notebooks so we bought some for him.

Their binders and notebooks are on IKEA Expedit cube shelves with each cube holding a different subject. Some subjects take up multiple cubes.

• Like 1

😍 office supplies! 

Echoing others that it depends on the course.  Sometimes you start with one organizational principle only to realize one week in that another might work better, maybe depending on the number of photocopied handouts (do teachers do this anymore?).  

It isn't an all or nothing, either.  I've used paper folders + a spiral.  Or you can have a big binder on the shelf for storage and keep a smaller lightweight flexible plastic binder like this one:  https://www.amazon.com/Bazic-Glitter-3-ring-Binder-Pocket/dp/B00NAIVE6S/  to pack in a backpack.  

Some spirals include a pocket or two where you can slip in a few sheets of paper.  

• Like 2

My boys were/are required to have them for one teacher (taking their 3rd class with her this year) and for Spanish.  They also used them for VideoText Algebra and Geometry.  I finally invested in the Staples Better Binders and they work wonderfully for all 3 of us.  I have a 2 inch size for my Admin binder for each year of high school.  Well worth the money for me. 

ETA:  Mine have not used spiral notebooks for high school and they are going into 11th grade, although they would if a teacher required them.

Edited by mlktwins
  • Like 2

We use binders for most subjects because it's easier to file printouts, lab reports, and notes. We do often use a spiral notebook as a place to write class notes and sometimes the whole spiral notebook goes in the binder and other times each sheet is torn out and put in the binder. The binders do take up more room on the shelves and are more difficult to take away from home, but they work best for us. 

• Like 1

We use binders for nearly everything.  Dd had a few subjects that she preferred to use a spiral notebook for, but that was her choice.

I don’t like to spend a lot on binders.  I usually buy them at Costco or mega discounts at other stores.  However, I will also buy binders that are in really good shape at yard sales and thrift stores.  You would be surprised how good condition-wise used ones can be.  Dd has been buying school supplies for going to college in a few weeks and she bought several at a local thrift store for 50 cents each. 

• Like 3

I'll say I've been burned by cheap binders, or maybe just the ones I order from Amazon instead of inspecting in a store.  I have at least one where the rings don't line up properly when closed...super annoying.  Inspect in person before buying!   

• Like 2

The cheap spiral notebooks from Walmart/Target. We buy a bunch each August. Mostly college ruled, but graph paper spirals for math. My kids use a separate notebook for each subject. At home, the kids also use one folder per subject if there are any loose leaf papers involved. My dd in college prefers one slim accordion folder with several pockets for all loose papers. She still uses one notebook per subject.

But, honestly, my kids do most of their work and keep most of their notes on the computer. Only math needs multiple notebooks in a year - usually three or four.

• Like 1

It depends on the course and what I'm using.  For filing purposes I use the small hanging file totes- I keep most finished papers, tests, and labs.

Math- always in a spiral notebook, labeled and filed afterwards.  Tests go in a hanging file- each year clipped together. 

Science- notes in a spiral notebook, worksheets in a folder, then moved to a binder every quarter or so.  I don't keep notes or worksheets- I file tests and labs- one hanging file per course

History- usually in a binder, lots of maps.  Keep written papers and tests if I do tests.

English- depends on what I use, but a binder with dividers for finished papers,  rough drafts and prewriting, sometimes lit units.  I keep all finished papers- one hanging file per year. 

So far I have one graduate,  and no one wanted to see any of it!  I kept writing samples, etc, but no one cared 😉 My advice is to think about each class snd use what you think works best with the materials you will use.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, EKT said:

How do you store finished work for long-term record keeping?

My kids and I use the scanning function of our multifunctional laser printer which has an auto-feeder because I insisted when we were picking a new printer. 

All my kids high school classes are outsourced and they actually have the written assignments and exams in PDFs. They have to scan and upload for their teachers to grade. All their work whether in Microsoft Word or PDF format are backup to OneDrive. 

• Like 1

It's subject-specific here.  My kids usually prefer composition books to spiral bound.  For math we buy a thick grid/graph paper book - it's the only thing my older wants to use for math.  Younger is fine with a standard graph paper notebook.  We've had certain workbooks that we tear the pages out of and hold punch for a 3-ring binder.  We also use expandable pocket folders for classes with handouts.  When we use 3-ring binders, sometimes they hole punch and sometimes they use pocket folders to put handouts in.  It really depends on what they'll need the most of for a particular class and what they need to carry with them.  We do most classes at home but have a couple at co-op or online.  For online classes they seem to mostly have digital files so no papers to keep up with.  Co-op classes vary depending on the content and the teacher.  Even at-home classes vary - chemistry had a lot of problems solved in a  composition book, while for government we mostly read and discussed and student wrote a couple of short papers. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LLucy said:

Mead 5 Star has married the best of both worlds.  I have not used these but I am thinking of giving them a try: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086LZ22X6/?coliid=I2EQB6A2W7ETVG&colid=3MW8BZK9W13CQ&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Lucy

I tried them years ago, so they might be better now. The clasp catches papers and the rings were not smooth. Given that they are still selling these, there might have been a redesign somewhere along the way.

• Like 1

I bought my own flexible plastic rings and make my own "binders" similar to the Mead.  I laminate front and back covers and add whatever I want.  

I really like things that fold back completely, but spiral notebooks always seem to get bent and pulled apart at the ends and I hate that.  

• Like 1

Binders, with accompanying plastic pocket folders for classes not at home. The binders mostly stay on the shelf, except to have completed work put in them. Current work and anything that needs to be turned in for an outside class goes in the folders. Light and sturdy - nothing heavy or bulky for a backpack. Dd usually has copies of the syllabus and other important documents in both the binder and the folder.

Five Star graph spiral notebooks for math. (I learned that here years ago.)

Occasionally there is a class which specifically requires a composition book, but it’s been a while since one of those.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 3:55 PM, athena1277 said:

We use binders for nearly everything.  Dd had a few subjects that she preferred to use a spiral notebook for, but that was her choice.

I don’t like to spend a lot on binders.  I usually buy them at Costco or mega discounts at other stores.  However, I will also buy binders that are in really good shape at yard sales and thrift stores.  You would be surprised how good condition-wise used ones can be.  Dd has been buying school supplies for going to college in a few weeks and she bought several at a local thrift store for 50 cents each. 

We too have gotten really nice binders at thrift! 

• Like 3

Well, @Not_a_Number got me into expensive French notebooks, so my kids now demand those. Both like colorful math notebooks. And I ended up getting french ruled ones for my kid’s social science note taking as well.

Other that math paper, we don’t really have need for anything else. All writing is done on the computer, so technically it can all be stored electronically. Yet I still organize everything into binders. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Well, @Not_a_Number got me into expensive French notebooks, so my kids now demand those. Both like colorful math notebooks. And I ended up getting french ruled ones for my kid’s social science note taking as well.

Other that math paper, we don’t really have need for anything else. All writing is done on the computer, so technically it can all be stored electronically. Yet I still organize everything into binders. 

Hahahaha, sorry about that! They are excellent, though. I have sooo many. 

• Like 2

We are pretty inconsistent, to be honest. Math is in a binder, and I move the "old" to a larger storage binder in the school room. Usually they end up filling a 3" binder with one year's math stuff.

I used a binder for both for Spanish and they used a spiral for their in text work. I ripped out the pages at the end of the year and put them in a binder with the workbook pages, tests, etc. 

For history pretty much the same thing as above.

I personally really prefer using loose sheets of paper and then putting them in a binder but my kids seem to prefer a spiral notebook for taking notes. I just hate ripping the pages out at the end of the year to put them in a binder with the other stuff.  

I really need to scan and/or purge their old stuff. I already have two banker boxes full of high school stuff, and my guess is 99% or 100% will not be needed for anything. It's just sort of overwhelming now that I have let it build up.

I haven't bought new binders in a long time (other than when Staples sent me $10 off $10 coupons). I buy lots of binders at the thrift store.  I actually found some Staples better binders at the thrift store.  

I smiled at the prior poster's comment about getting binders from her dh's work.  Way before kids when I was working I organized the library at our office and I remember a couple guys taking all my used binders for their homeschooling wives. I was so happy they were not being thrown away.  😃

• Like 1

Binders.  I can't stand spiral notebooks.

I think if I had a kid starting high school now though, I would have them use a tablet for all handwritten work, and I would have some system to automatically file everything into the appropriate folder on the computer (or in the cloud).

• Like 1