Menu

Indigo Blue

I totally agree. 
Different job field, but my DH had a job where people would show up at our house at all hours of the day or night instead of calling the appropriate phone number for assistance (911). To make it even worse, we have a dog, so many people would just pull-up out front and honk until someone came outside to greet them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

I think that we will forever have people pulling into our drive after hours to talk to Dh about plumbing jobs. 

One person waited outside while dh finished showering, after having worked all day in the heat. Another shower got cut short because neighbors had an emergency. 

The first guy that came over while he was showering just pulled up and rang the bell again. Dh had just showered (he made it this time) but had eaten only half of his toasted sub sandwich. It happens a lot. 

I know it’s the nature of the profession, but I still think it’s rude to show up unannounced after hours for business. I would call. I couldn’t just show up at someone’s house during dinner. ( The emergency was a bit different, I guess). 

Dh isn’t as bothered by it as I am. I guess he’s used to it. It’ll be fine. I’m just venting a bit. This is just not how I would do things, but it doesn’t seem to bother people these days.

Yep.  And part of building a good business is that willingness to be available in that way.  But that is also the reason the owner if our company doesn’t live in our town. Heck he won’t even step foot in WM because he gets accosted by 10 people in 5 min.  
can you move? Lol

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, City Mouse said:

I totally agree. 
Different job field, but my DH had a job where people would show up at our house at all hours of the day or night instead of calling the appropriate phone number for assistance (911). To make it even worse, we have a dog, so many people would just pull-up out front and honk until someone came outside to greet them. 

Oh, that’s awful. Wow.

I can’t imagine ever doing that. I’m not a very forward person in general and am sensitive to bugging people about work off hours.

That said, all our service people are either so busy they don’t return phone calls or just bad at that part of their business. It is about impossible to get anyone out to do stuff so I can see the desperation. Not saying your dh is bad about returning calls, at all. Just that it is a challenge.

I’m sitting here and I see my hair stylist outside across the street. She has not returned my last text asking for an appointment. I am not going over there to ask her in person but it did cross my mind. 

• Like 2

On 7/13/2021 at 7:02 PM, Scarlett said:

Yep.  And part of building a good business is that willingness to be available in that way.  But that is also the reason the owner if our company doesn’t live in our town. Heck he won’t even step foot in WM because he gets accosted by 10 people in 5 min.  
can you move? 

Edited by Indigo Blue

Years ago I was thinking of going into photography.  I took a class on making 6 figures just from Senior portraits or something. The photographer said one thing that’s stuck with me…. His “Happy to do it price.”  He had a hard and fast rule that he no longer worked on Saturday afternoons or Sundays, at all.  If someone had no other availability and really wanted him… okay, but only for ten times more than his regular sitting fee, and none of it was applicable to orders.  It was an amount of money that made him happy to do it, and usually paid for an out of town vacation, which made his wife happy to put up with it.  Maybe he should have a higher emergency fee so you’re happy to put up with it.

Alternatively, you could put up an electric gate. 

• Like 12

I just had the thought that we could turn off the tv during dinner and showers. And not answer the door. (Maybe for neighbors). I asked Dh what he thought about that. I was surprised that he actually agreed to try it. Lol, he’s in the shower now, so the TV is off and lights are off in living room. 🤣

But it won’t work if he takes his cell phone in there and has it up so loud you can hear from a mile away. Lol.

At least this way, he’s had dinner and shower if he needs to answer the door. 

• Like 6

Sadly, this is common in a lot of service type jobs, especially if you're capable and personable.  We had Thanksgiving interrupted one year because dh was called in as soon as we sat down.  I can assume at least once a week he'll either be called in extra or be called about an issue.  Oldest ds is following in dad's footsteps, being all capable and respectful and everything that makes people want to call him. 😄He has been scheduled for 35-40 hours a week and ends up working 60 because he keeps getting called to fix things and handle things above his pay grade. 
This is a good reason why we enjoy our off grid family vacations.  We are barely reachable for a full week each summer and it gives everyone a chance to decompress and shake off the outside world.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Katy said:
2 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

My father is an electrician. 

I think it is usual for all tradesmen

Yeah, it is. I just personally don’t like that people do that. It’s awful when he’s eating after working in hot weather all day and people just show up. We have never, ever done that to anyone. I couldn’t imagine doing that.

If your home address and business address are the same, and posted somewhere, - people probably don't realize they're going to someone's house.  (jta: I live in a city, and can't imagine even knowing where a service person lives without having an address posted somewhere.)

dh makes a point of *always* answering his cell phone himself.  (his posted business #)  If he's out of reach of the phone - he hands it to me for me to answer.  I had to make a point that if we're on a date - his phone has to be off.  (which can be annoying if we're somewhere and get separated.)  But there are still many times we can be driving, and his phone rings (He had a hands-free system installed in his older car.  - his phone is also hooked up to my car.  

usually, I grit my teeth and bear it, but sometimes, especially if we're in the middle of a serious conversation, . . .  . Though he will call them back, but he answers.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Indigo Blue said:

In our case, we don’t need to rely on building business from doing small jobs. We have contractors that make up 90 percent of our work.

@Scarlettquoting myself because I was worried this sounded snarky. I only meant that he does mostly new construction and our business is not dependent on small, residential jobs, although he does do them. Didn’t mean for it to sound weird. 🙂

• Like 3

That sounds incredibly frustrating.  Are these clients of his or are they neighbors/friends/family looking for free advice on their DIY jobs?  If they are clients, it might help to change the registered address of his business (if it is a home) and have clear signage asking people to call and then voicemail greetings indicating what hours you are open and spelling out that after hours calls/visits incur an additional charge.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Indigo Blue said:

@Scarlettquoting myself because I was worried this sounded snarky. I only meant that he does mostly new construction and our business is not dependent on small, residential jobs, although he does do them. Didn’t mean for it to sound weird. 🙂

Lol,  it did not sound weird.  

I think you will have trouble changing this as long as it does not really bother your Dh.

In my boss’ case, it has been interesting  to watch him move away from the model of taking all calls and solving all problems of one where he either forwards a message to me or he tells other people like relatives and close friends to call Scarlett at the office.   One long time older customer left a vm on boss’ cell phone but he addressed me, ‘Hi Scarlet this is Very Important  customer can you please call me back?’’  😂 And I don’t know how many phone calls I get where they start out, ‘ well I called Owner and he told me to call you.’

Another unreasonable long time customer got our boss on the phone and complained that things weren’t like they were when he was at the office/shop every day.  He said, ‘you know why? Because I worked 16 hour days, did paperwork at home until midnight. But I have a little girl now and I am not going to do that anymore and I dang sure won’t be asking my employees to do it’.  

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Indigo Blue said:

It sounded fine.

• Like 1

Dh gets calls from obscenely early hours to obnoxiously late hours and, even though I’m kind of used to it, it’s awful. Add on volunteer firefighting with 24/7 response, and I don’t know what it’s like to have dedicated schedules for anything. But the thought of people coming to the door is a whole other thing!

Can you put a yard sign out to discourage it? Something like

Private Residence
Plumbing Company hours 9-5, M-F
After hours email: wth@job.com
Emergency calls: 555-4321

• Like 3

My friend is a doctor in a rural area.  She said that over the 4th if July weekend she has someone show up on her front porch in the middle of a bridal shower for her son and his fiancee needing a major stitching job done.....so she stitched him up on the porch.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

My friend is a doctor in a rural area.  She said that over the 4th if July weekend she has someone show up on her front porch in the middle of a bridal shower for her son and his fiancee needing a major stitching job done.....so she stitched him up on the porch.

That’s funny because, yesterday, when I was grumpy, I was thinking that convenience store workers don’t have customers showing up at their door leaving money for chips and soda and doctors don’t just have people showing up at their door during dinner wanting treatment or advice! Well, but I guess they do! Lol. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Scarlett said:

can you move? Lol

I meant to say yesterday that this is what happens to us in Lowe’s! 

• Haha 1

While we never had people showing up at the door, they called at all hours. Ex-dh was a self-employed contractor. It was either client or sub-contractors calling. There was a season of our lives where we couldn't even have a decent meal without the phone ringing. He had that Jurassic Park 3 ringtone on his phone - I never want to hear that again, ever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I'd like to sit here in the suburbs and say this is a boundaries issue, but I grew up rurally and there is just no socially acceptable way to blow off people in that situation.  

I’m only kinda semi-rural and don’t have this type of occupational hazard, but I can’t bring myself to that kind of resignation.

I don’t believe it’s socially acceptable anywhere to expect a person to give up their personal time and space. I HOPE it’s just ignorance and forgetting that one person’s intrusion is no longer minor when there are 10 other people doing the same, yk? And none of those 10 pretend people would like for it to happen to them.

A sign is a nonjudgmental reminder that someone works to live, not lives to work. AND that they are still available for emergencies. If it offends someone without an emergency, they really deserve to sit with that discomfort for a night!

Can we please stop accommodating the actually rude people and attributing it to country culture? (I’m starting to get very worried about moving to an ungated community, lol.)