Menu

At what point would you lock down again?

Not_a_Number

13 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

What does a regatta look like?

Since it's a race, I would assume that it would bring different teams (and their spectators) all together.  Probably crowds (though that might depend on the popularity of the event).  A summer camp would have one group the entire time and if they are doing the same precautions, then not as much exposure. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Since it's a race, I would assume that it would bring different teams (and their spectators) all together.  Probably crowds (though that might depend on the popularity of the event).  A summer camp would have one group the entire time and if they are doing the same precautions, then not as much exposure. 

Curious if it’s outdoors, I guess.

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Hasn't it been proven that people packed together are still a transmission risk?  Our local health department just had warnings issued about attending the state fair coming up.  It's (mostly) outdoors and even though we have a mask mandate for the indoor venues, they are still concerned about transmission in the outdoor unmasked crowds. 

Just now, Jean in Newcastle said:

Hasn't it been proven that people packed together are still a transmission risk?  Our local health department just had warnings issued about attending the state fair coming up.  It's (mostly) outdoors and even though we have a mask mandate for the indoor venues, they are still concerned about transmission in the outdoor unmasked crowds. 

Yeah, i’m feeling more uneasy about outdoor transmission than I have been for awhile. I was worried about it early on when we really didn’t know much, and then I stopped worrying about it when it didn’t look like an issue. Delta, it’s really looking like an issue again and I am no longer comfortable being with other people outdoors without masks. Which is a bummer. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, KSera said:

Yeah, i’m feeling more uneasy about outdoor transmission than I have been for awhile. I was worried about it early on when we really didn’t know much, and then I stopped worrying about it when it didn’t look like an issue. Delta, it’s really looking like an issue again and I am no longer comfortable being with other people outdoors without masks. Which is a bummer. 

I'm not so worried if I'm on a trail or in a park where I can do the social distancing thing.  I figure that there's (hopefully) enough air movement in the six feet or so to keep me safe(ish).  (I am putting the qualifiers because I realize that nothing is 100% safe).    But crowds where you are literally elbow to elbow are different.  The air flow might help somewhat but it can just as easily blow the virus particles into someone's face.  Add the cheering and yelling that goes on at even an outdoor sporting event, then that would mean more particles being spewed out. 

• Like 7

The governor is supposedly going to make masks in K-12 mandatory, starting a week from now. Meaning, more than a week into most of our schools’ year. Should be... interesting.  
(Pennsylvania)

Dh was really hoping to go to a very large, very special event that I was leaning toward accepting because I thought masks were required. But vaccinated people (required if eligible) don’t actually have to wear masks. So now I feel bad. Not bad enough to relent, just bad about the circumstances. 😞 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

What does a regatta look like?

Ugh, I'm volunteering at a (downscaled) rowing regatta in early October. It made sense when they decided to go ahead with it! I'm not racing myself this year, and it will be outside (except for possibly walking through the boathouse,  but I should be able to avoid that). I'm planning to wear a mask myself, not sure if they'll require it for competitors off-water, but sounds like it would be a good idea!  I'll be directing dock traffic and checking shoes, so I for the latter I will have to get close to the competitors! We do have relatively high vax rates... and by October we should have a better handle on transmission, I hope.  

I'm still feeling like things are going to hit the fan here when the unvaxxed under 12s go back to full classrooms,  even with masks.... lunchtime alone, I fear, will be enough even if masks work otherwise in non-distanced, indoor,  all day classes (which I'm also not feeling good about)...

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, KSera said:

Are you talking crowds?  Or just say kids playing at the park?  How about vaccinated people just standing and talking to each other?

20 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

The governor is supposedly going to make masks in K-12 mandatory, starting a week from now. Meaning, more than a week into most of our schools’ year. Should be... interesting.  
(Pennsylvania)

Dh was really hoping to go to a very large, very special event that I was leaning toward accepting because I thought masks were required. But vaccinated people (required if eligible) don’t actually have to wear masks. So now I feel bad. Not bad enough to relent, just bad about the circumstances. 😞 

Ugh and PA just turned red on Covidactnow

• Sad 2

Just now, Carrie12345 said:

I guess something was trying to keep me from it! My county has apparently jumped from 2 ICU Covid patients to 8.  And I don’t like this picture:

C7811D2E-1DAF-411E-9371-95EACCEAF54B.jpeg

I do a lot better mentally and stress wise if I don't check and just put my head in the sand.  Not reading and watching TV would help even more.  But I feel like not knowing is risky too.  You could think things are fine and take more risks if you don't know and keep up to date.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I do a lot better mentally and stress wise if I don't check and just put my head in the sand.  Not reading and watching TV would help even more.  But I feel like not knowing is risky too.  You could think things are fine and take more risks if you don't know and keep up to date.  

Oh, I normally do check nearly every day. I have no idea why I didn’t today. It’s weird!

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

The racing yes, but there can be huge crowds. Also, it’s common for there to be parties and festivities which might be held inside a yacht club or similar. They can be very social events.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MEmama said:

The racing yes, but there can be huge crowds. Also, it’s common for there to be parties and festivities which might be held inside a yacht club or similar. They can be very social events.

LOL, I get the feeling that the sailing world is more upscale than the rowing world.  There's no room in our boathouse to hold any festivities except for lunch for the volunteers, and even that is actually outside on a deck.  (I may either bring my own lunch this year, or if it's boxed eat it alone outdoors...)  And the other competing teams have to just put up tents (that even pre-Covid had no sides, just really shade/rain protection) along the river...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

LOL, I get the feeling that the sailing world is more upscale than the rowing world.  There's no room in our boathouse to hold any festivities except for lunch for the volunteers, and even that is actually outside on a deck.  (I may either bring my own lunch this year, or if it's boxed eat it alone outdoors...)  And the other competing teams have to just put up tents (that even pre-Covid had no sides, just really shade/rain protection) along the river...

Yeah true. I have been rowing regattas that had lots of mingling under tents, potluck lunches and so forth that would make me take pause today though. But yeah, more casual and spread out in general than the big sailing events.

7 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Yeah true. I have been rowing regattas that had lots of mingling under tents, potluck lunches and so forth that would make me take pause today though. But yeah, more casual and spread out in general than the big sailing events.

Yes, that is giving me a lot of pause now too (the mingling under tents).  When they decided to have the IRL event (rather than virtual like last year) it was during that golden 'we all got the vax and the CDC said vaxxed people weren't transmitting and outdoors looks really safe' time that lasted, oh, a month or two...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, calbear said:

I really want to know as well is the 1000/100K weekly or daily. 

Locally in SD, we are at 37/100K daily.

Poking around, the highest daily per 100K transmission rates seem to be a bit under 300/day in specific counties spread around different southern states (no state as an aggregate is that high).

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Are you talking crowds?  Or just say kids playing at the park?  How about vaccinated people just standing and talking to each other?

Crowds or standing talking to people. If I’m talking to someone, we’re standing close enough that it doesn’t feel comfortable to me anymore without both of us masked. On a trail or a park that doesn’t have many people, it seems okay. But not close together, even outside at this point. (I was talking to a family member outside several weeks back, before this was as worrisome, neither of us masked, and some spray from his mouth hit my face at one point. I was distinctly aware at that point that if he had Covid, I was in trouble.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Most places report the daily number, which was what was confusing me. 

She's reporting the number for 2 weeks, not daily. 

For instance, Florida is at 99/100,000 daily, which would be 1386 per 14 days. So higher than what she's reporting. 

Didn't realize places were doing daily for case rate.  The report daily number of new cases but that's not a helpful metric especially since the easy  free drive up test site is only open 4 days a week now.

6 minutes ago, rebcoola said:

Didn't realize places were doing daily for case rate.  The report daily number of new cases but that's not a helpful metric especially since the easy  free drive up test site is only open 4 days a week now.

The issue with your area (correct me if I am wrong) is that you don’t have a lot of available hospital beds. 

Yes we are basically out ambulances to.   Places like covid act now show more beds but our health department says there are only 391 beds total with staffing.  Over 100 people are the hospital with Covid that number has stayed pretty consistent because that's all they can really take.  People are being diverted and moved 5 hours away into Idaho.  A teengirl died in transport after accident you definitely  wonder if she would have lived if things were different.  All elective surgeries are canceled.  

6 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The issue with your area (correct me if I am wrong) is that you don’t have a lot of available hospital beds. 

• Sad 9

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I think the biggest issue is that outdoor is rarely truly outdoor.  People cluster in indoor spaces - food venues, bathrooms, tents, and maybe at a fair, livestock barns.  And cluster together in cars to travel to and from , and cluster together in lodging and restaurants before and after.  So "outdoor" events end up driving spread.

I think that , if packed tight enough, true outdoor spread could happen too, but I don't think that it's the main risk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, wathe said:

I think the biggest issue is that outdoor is rarely truly outdoor.  People cluster in indoor spaces - food venues, bathrooms, tents, and maybe at a fair, livestock barns.  And cluster together in cars to travel to and from , and cluster together in lodging and restaurants before and after.  So "outdoor" events end up driving spread.

I think that , if packed tight enough, true outdoor spread could happen too, but I don't think that it's the main risk.

That’s still my impression, yeah. So far, outdoor spread has seemed either long term or crowded with a roof.

25 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

That’s still my impression, yeah. So far, outdoor spread has seemed either long term or crowded with a roof.

There have been some that have happened from people taking a walk together. Or talking outside. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, bookbard said:

There seems to be a few in Australia where people have just walked past people outdoors at the wrong time - eg the Vineyard in SA. This is all Delta variant. 

Here's an article about outdoor transmission in Australia:

Experts warn of outdoor COVID-19 risk after infections linked to Newcastle beach gathering - ABC News

Only places that contact trace like Australia or New Zealand are going to pick up outdoor transmission of that sort. It doesn’t mean that it hasn’t happened in the US but contact tracing here is minimal or nonexistent and not that thorough. 

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

But it seems extremely rare. Can you link one like that?

10 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Only places that contact trace like Australia or New Zealand are going to pick up outdoor transmission of that sort. It doesn’t mean that it hasn’t happened in the US but contact tracing here is minimal or nonexistent and not that thorough. 

Like Jean said, all the ones I know of are Australia or New Zealand, because that's where they're doing that level of contact tracing. It's usually meant they have the sequencing done to know who caught it from who and they frequently have cc tv showing when the transmission event could have happened. There was one in China early that was documented in that way from two people sitting on a park bench talking. I can't look them up right now, but I'll give a try later.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Travel?  Have family in less-pressed states? I bought four tests in CA and my dad said he’ll ship me a couple more if I want. I feel like this is a back to school necessity.

Sure...but the "How to get" article didn't even mention that possibility. It did, however,  mention that they are widely sold out 🙂

Traveling cross country just to acquire at-home tests seems to defeat the purpose 🙂

• Haha 8
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, rebcoola said:

It's daily but based on the average for the last 7 days. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Sure...but the "How to get" article didn't even mention that possibility. It did, however,  mention that they are widely sold out 🙂

Traveling cross country just to acquire at-home tests seems to defeat the purpose 🙂

Traveling isn't an easy option. Mailing/shipping is. There are parts of the country where they're more readily available. I'd happily ship them to anyone who asked if they were available locally (they're not). I got the last two PCR tests on the shelves two weeks ago. The rapid ones are what I bought in CA. 

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KSera said:

Like Jean said, all the ones I know of are Australia or New Zealand, because that's where they're doing that level of contact tracing. It's usually meant they have the sequencing done to know who caught it from who and they frequently have cc tv showing when the transmission event could have happened. There was one in China early that was documented in that way from two people sitting on a park bench talking. I can't look them up right now, but I'll give a try later.

I haven’t seen much like that even in Australia. They seem EXTREMELY rare.

• Like 2

On the regatta transmission question, my cousin contracted Covid at a regatta. They don’t think it happened outside, but rather on a boat. In his case, they believe everyone contracted it from a private chef they had hired for the week. (I don’t recall more details than that, I always get stuck on the words “private chef,” contemplating that … 🤣).

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

So HOW should one get one, if they are sold out everywhere?

I think you had to think ahead and buy them before things started getting crazy.  I still have them in my area. They were easy to get over summer.  On a lot of boards people were thinking ahead to school starting and buying a lot of them, that and the surges and I think they are harder to get now. Can you search other stores around you?  Ebay?  Amazon?  Anyone you know in a different area that could buy them for you?   Try different stores not just the main ones people think of?  Walmart, Walgreens, Cvs?

Abott tests from emed.com

Edited by mommyoffive

2 minutes ago, Spryte said:

On the regatta transmission question, my cousin contracted Covid at a regatta. They don’t think it happened outside, but rather on a boat. In his case, they believe everyone contracted it from a private chef they had hired for the week. (I don’t recall more details than that, I always get stuck on the words “private chef,” contemplating that … 🤣).

Like, inside a boat? Or outside on a boat?

11 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Good thing rowing shells don't have galleys (or chefs)!  😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I think you had to think ahead and buy them before things started getting crazy.  I still have them in my area. They were easy to get over summer.  On a lot of boards people were thinking ahead to school starting and buying a lot of them, that and the surges and I think they are harder to get now. Can you search other stores around you?  Ebay?  Amazon?  Anyone you know in a different area that could buy them for you?   Try different stores not just the main ones people think of? 

Nah, it's OK. I was merely annoyed about the article that promised info in the headline which it totally didn't deliver .

( we don't have " different stores people don't think of". Small rural town)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

Nah, it's OK. I was merely annoyed about the article that promised info in the headline which it totally didn't deliver .

( we don't have " different stores people don't think of". Small rural town)

Small town here too.  Luckily we have a University that never shut down their testing for students and community.  Free and fast testing there for everyone.  

• Like 1