Menu

LaVar Burton as Jeopardy host?

WildflowerMom

Like most people I came to love Alex Trebek as the host of Jeopardy (seemed like a very fine human being), but it took me a while to get used to him as it was Art Fleming who I imprinted on as the host of Jeopardy.

In a sad coincidence, both Art Fleming and Alex Trebek died of pancreatic cancer.

As to the next host, Ken Jennings has been the one guest host who I could see filling the role thus far, but LeVar Burton seems like an intriguing option.

Bill

I can't imagine thinking that someone who is pretty apolitical, has a strong speaking and presenting voice, and is associated with learning and beloved by many wouldn't be a fit for Jeopardy. Like, I get why some other candidates are preferred by some and why no one can really replace Trebek, but...

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, klmama said:

Have they said how they'll choose the replacement?  

I read that some of the guest hosts are essentially trying out for the job. Others are just there for the guest stint. Like, I don't think Anderson Cooper wants the job, for example.

• Like 2

LaVar Burton has quite the sense of humor - I think he'd be great.   

A young woman who grew up in our circle was a disney princess in at DW.   She would also do the behind the scenes tours/meet & greets with patrons - and one of the families she met with was his.  He posed for the photo with his kids, and while she was in costume (and *must be in character* as the princess) - while they were posing, he turned towards her and gave her a slobbery kiss on the cheek.  Friend's dd had a very surprised expression for the photo - and LeVar's wife was on the other side of the room, covering her face and turning red with embarrassment by his antics.

She said that when she first saw him walk through the door, the first thing that went through her head was "reading rainbow"! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

LaVar Burton has quite the sense of humor - I think he'd be great.   

A young woman who grew up in our circle was a disney princess in at DW.   She would also do the behind the scenes tours/meet & greets with patrons - and one of the families she met with was his.  He posed for the photo with his kids, and while she was in costume (and *must be in character* as the princess) - while they were posing, he turned towards her and gave her a slobbery kiss on the cheek.  Friend's dd had a very surprised expression for the photo - and LeVar's wife was on the other side of the room, covering her face and turning red with embarrassment by his antics.

She said that when she first saw him walk through the door, the first thing that went through her head was "reading rainbow"! 

Gross. If that's true, I've now changed my opinion.

• Like 3

I read somewhere that they would really like a host that is a bit younger, so that the host would potentially stay with the show for many years, like Alex did.  The speculation was that LeVar Burton is a bit older than they would like for this role with that goal in mind. 

I think that Ken Jennings is the best fit with the age parameters in mind and his history with the show, but I certainly wouldn't mind LeVar Burton getting to guest host and seeing if he changes my mind.

2 hours ago, edelweiss said:

I read somewhere that they would really like a host that is a bit younger, so that the host would potentially stay with the show for many years, like Alex did.  The speculation was that LeVar Burton is a bit older than they would like for this role with that goal in mind. 

I think that Ken Jennings is the best fit with the age parameters in mind and his history with the show, but I certainly wouldn't mind LeVar Burton getting to guest host and seeing if he changes my mind.

yeah - I knew he had to be in his 60s - he was born in '57.   I can see them preferring someone in their 40s, or even 30s. - just for the staying power.

5 hours ago, Andani said:

Gross. If that's true, I've now changed my opinion.

She told me herself - she wasn't offended or grossed out, so why are you?

she was  happy to get out of disney, and much preferred Universal.

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

I'm pretty sure the Jeopardy demographic rather likes "boring." LOL.

Self included.

Bill

I don't need anything spectacular but he is just dull.  Alex Trebec was not dull. 

I also like one of the other champions as a host in theory.  I think his name was Buzzy.

• Like 1

Just now, hjffkj said:

I don't need anything spectacular but he is just dull.  Alex Trebec was not dull. 

I also like one of the other champions as a host in theory.  I think his name was Buzzy.

It is true that Alex Trebek wasn't dull.

I actually had to get past that in the beginning--as I wondered why they got a gameshow host for Jeopardy?--but he definitely won me over.

It will be hard to fill his shoes.

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WildflowerMom said:

Yep. That's why I thought he was cancelled. 

It's the disgusting wheelchair tweet, for me.

Edited by AbcdeDooDah

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2021 at 1:28 PM, BusyMom5 said:

Been thinking about this- I don't like anyone suggested.  I think they need to find a funny, unique college professor with a personality.   Not a Hollywood person or anyone already hosting other shows.  

I like Nick Zentner - Geology prof at Central Washington University.  He's been doing youtube videos of his geology lectures on the pacific northwest for the last 8 years or so.    He's not a stand up comedian- but he's very engaging and makes the subject interesting.  (and it would save him from chalk.  He's usually covered in it by the end of his lecture.)

and then there's the time he was in the field with the group, and dropped his hammer down a basalt crack . . . .say goodbye, you're not getting it back.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1