Menu

Quick COVID question: would getting the vax ping a positive test result?

Ginevra

43 minutes ago, Quill said:

I’m not moving out of my house. I’m sorry but that seems totally ridiculous. Our house is gigantic. It is totally possible for us to live in separate parts of the house for a week or more. I already had a sort of test run of this when my dd got home from France. For sure, it’s different with a legit, symptomatic positive person but still...it’s not a fait accompli that I will get sick too. 

My boss is certainly struggling with the idea that I may be out for seven days. I mean, I highly doubt he would actually fire me, because that would be a severe negative *for him* for much longer than a week. But I guarantee I am not anyone’s favorite employee or coworker right now because of the mayhem of domino effect. 

I forgot you have a big house! I was picturing my cramped place with only one working shower, AC on all the time circulating air throughout the house, etc. My mistake. 

If you can keep isolated from each other, that should work - again as long as there is not a central air/heat situation circulating air. 

• Like 4

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Quill said:

Yes. Andhe’s been a Workers Comp attny for 20+ years, so he likely has a good grasp of work-related medical laws. 

When I went on maternity leave, one of my bosses (a mom herself) said, "you'll be working during your leave, right?  Any woman who hopes to have a career in the long term works during her leave."

Bosses know they can't technically require employees to work through certain things, but they figure out ways to pressure them into it.

That said, I think your boss needs you more than you need him.  Do what you feel is right.

Isn't next week a short week anyway?

Edited by SKL

1 minute ago, skimomma said:

On a positive note, we had a covid+ in our tiny house and isolated the person.  The other household members did not get sick.  We followed the advice to test 5 days after last exposure.  We were negative and therefore allowed to end quarantine on day 7.  We continued to quarantine until day 10 anyway, just because we could.  We are now weeks out and everyone is still negative.  Our isolated person had their own bedroom but we only have one bath so we did all have to use that.  We kept the vent fan on 24/7, everyone wore masks in the bathroom, except when showering, and our isolated person hand sanitized before entering the room and was asked to text us any time he used it so we could make a point to stay out for at least an hour afterward.  We almost didn't bother as we were all in a single car for hours the day before the symptoms first appeared.  I figured we were for sure going to get it, but somehow didn't.  I'm baffled but will take it!

This is super valuable info for me; thank you so much!!

1 minute ago, SKL said:

When I went on maternity leave, one of my bosses (a mom herself) said, "you'll be working during your leave, right?  Any women who hopes to have a career in the long term works during her leave."

Bosses know they can't technically require employees to work through certain things, but they figure out ways to pressure them into it.

That said, I think your boss needs you more than you need him.  Do what you feel is right.

Isn't next week a short week anyway?

He’s a non-practicing Jew, so I doubt it. 

But yes, I certainly do get the sense that he will put up with whatever I need to do because he already knows it is not that easy to replace a person in my position. 

5 minutes ago, Quill said:

He’s a non-practicing Jew, so I doubt it. 

But yes, I certainly do get the sense that he will put up with whatever I need to do because he already knows it is not that easy to replace a person in my position. 

If he won't fire you if you quarantine, you should quarantine, because it's the right thing to do... 

• Like 3

Several employees of ours have had to quarantine because of exposure. They have had to take one to two weeks off, depending on circumstances. It was a pain for us and for them, but that is the reality of being in business during a pandemic. Your boss is gonna have to suck it up and deal with it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

If he won't fire you if you quarantine, you should quarantine, because it's the right thing to do... 

We’ll see what happens. Im not staying home for two weeks if I continue to test negative and have no symptoms.  But Im just going to see how it plays out. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Quill said:

We’ll see what happens. Im not staying home for two weeks if I continue to test negative and have no symptoms.  But Im just going to see how it plays out. 

Granted—DH is an essential worker and so is exempt from some of the laws, but he was allowed to work while I had Covid. He had two negative tests and as long as he tested negative, he was fine to work. 

I thought though that If you weren’t an essential worker and not vaccinated, they were still requiring a 10 day quarantine if exposed.

Also, we did absolutely no isolating when I had Covid and I was too tired to do much disinfecting. DH and I still slept in the same bed, we have 1.5 bathrooms so still used the same one, ate together, everything.  Since he was working 24+ hour shifts there was no way for me to isolate from my kids either. No one else in my household got sick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm really sorry and hope your husband feels better quickly.

I remember you being very cautious about Covid in the past and saying that it would change the way that you do things forever (blowing out birthday candles, etc.), so I'm surprised that you are so firm about not staying home for a full recommended quarantine time. My Covid-is-a-hoax SIL followed the quarantine procedures when my brother had it last fall. I don't mean to be unsupportive when you are feeling down, but I think you should really consider your decisions carefully and be sure to follow your county health guidelines, whatever they are. It's common for household members to have to quarantine even longer than the ill person.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

I'm really sorry and hope your husband feels better quickly.

I remember you being very cautious about Covid in the past and saying that it would change the way that you do things forever (blowing out birthday candles, etc.), so I'm surprised that you are so firm about not staying home for a full recommended quarantine time. My Covid-is-a-hoax SIL followed the quarantine procedures when my brother had it last fall. I don't mean to be unsupportive when you are feeling down, but I think you should really consider your decisions carefully and be sure to follow your county health guidelines, whatever they are. It's common for household members to have to quarantine even longer than the ill person.

Yes, I did change those things forever.  If it were anything besides work, I would have no issue whatsoever. But not going to a law firm for two weeks if I am not sick seems bat-sh!t crazy. Even just missing today and tommorow is effing up a bunch of things. My attorney will lose his mind. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I simply have to see how this plays out. There are actually a bunch of scenarios that I can’t even bear to ponder at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

6 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

It's common for household members to have to quarantine even longer than the ill person.

This could have been true for us had we not seriously isolated the second our positive person had a single cough and that we lucked out with the timing of our testing appointments.  We ended up ending his isolation and our quarantine on the same day.  But, aside from the misery of the illness itself, it is actually easier to do "the right thing" if you are the positive person.  I was pretty irked by this, especially because our positive person was the least careful person in the house.  Not because he did not believe being careful is important but just because he is the only extrovert in the house and was therefore unnecessarily putting himself at risk much more frequently than the other members of the household.  Actually, I am still irked because now he can really let his guard down (for 90 days, anyway) and the rest of us cannot.  Like he someone got rewarded.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Quill said:

Yes, I did change those things forever.  If it were anything besides work, I would have no issue whatsoever. But not going to a law firm for two weeks if I am not sick seems bat-sh!t crazy. Even just missing today and tommorow is effing up a bunch of things. My attorney will lose his mind. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I simply have to see how this plays out. There are actually a bunch of scenarios that I can’t even bear to ponder at the moment. 

You don’t know you aren’t sick. You just know you have a negative test. Haven’t we been watching this show for a year now?? Asymptomatic people do spread it. 

• Like 23

9 minutes ago, Quill said:

Is there any way you could work half a day and he could work the other half a day in the office, so you don't have a chance of infecting him? Assuming you are the only one in the office and nobody else comes in? If you're doing paperwork and phone calls, but not interacting with live people, I think that would work, but I don't know your setup.

ETA: I would still err on the side of caution and state laws.

Edited by Tiberia
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Quill said:

10 days past last known exposure is the new guideline, or 7 days if you get a negative test 5 days or later after last known expsoure. Right now, it is too soon for a test to pick anything up. 

3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

You don’t know you aren’t sick. You just know you have a negative test. Haven’t we been watching this show for a year now?? Asymptomatic people do spread it. 

Right. And not just spread to the people at the office, (who also then could be out for weeks sick) but they could then spread it to other places. 

This is how it spreads. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I had a negative test and I intend to have additional tests. And what I have seen is that, in the great majority of cases, 50-year olds don’t carry around the virus and never have a symptom or ping a positive. Children sometimes do, but not older adults. Correct me if I am mistaken, but I thought the asymptomatic spreader was disproven. People get sick, or at least test positive. If I am still getting 99% O2 sats and negative tests days hence, I will be less and less and less concerned that I could have it/spread it. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Tiberia said:

Is there any way you could work half a day and he could work the other half a day in the office, so you don't have a chance of infecting him? Assuming you are the only one in the office and nobody else comes in? If you're doing paperwork and phone calls, but not interacting with live people, I think that would work, but I don't know your setup.

Or maybe you could go in over the weekend when no one else is in the office, catch up and maybe get a little ahead? 

• Like 3

I had a negative test and I intend to have additional tests. And what I have seen is that, in the great majority of cases, 50-year olds don’t carry around the virus and never have a symptom or ping a positive. Children sometimes do, but not older adults. Correct me if I am mistaken, but I thought the asymptomatic spreader was disproven. People get sick, or at least test positive. If I am still getting 99% O2 sats and negative tests days hence, I will be less and less and less concerned that I could have it/spread it. 

Hmmm. I don’t think it’s been disproven, and I believe I’ve seen people describe personal stories with it. Do you have a source for it being disproven?

7 minutes ago, Tiberia said:

ETA: I would still err on the side of caution and state laws.

I doubt it very much because that is literally what the previous assistant wanted to do. Her husband was coming into the office and sanitizing everything. She was trying to keep all clients virtual. She wanted him to go half days. Ultimately...and I wasn’t there, so I don’t know how it went, but my instincts are that she was on the extreme end of careful and he was on the Its-the-flu side mostly and she quit. 

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

Hmmm. I don’t think it’s been disproven, and I believe I’ve seen people describe personal stories with it. Do you have a source for it being disproven?

No. I don’t. It’s mostly anecdotal. When people get a positive, they get sick. Mildly or majorly, whatever, but they get sick. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Quill said:

The problem is that one is contagious 2+ days before any symptoms appear.  And it is typically 4-5 days from exposure to symptoms. So, you could be on day 2 of contracting the virus, not have symptoms yet or a positive test result, but still be contagious right now.  That is what sucks about this all.  There is no way to know.  I really struggled with this as we had to cancel a major milestone in dd's life even though we had no symptoms and an early negative test result.  I was so tempted to go through the thought exercise you are.  But then  asked myself how I would feel if we did get a positive result on day 5.  Would I be OK notifying everyone that would be affected by that decision?  The consequences of this on your office is likely to be far worse than missing a few days.  If you go with the bare minimum and test on Sunday, you could limit your quarantine period to 7 days total.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Quill said:

No. I don’t. It’s mostly anecdotal. When people get a positive, they get sick. Mildly or majorly, whatever, but they get sick. 

You mean people in their 50s as opposed to little kids? 

I would guess that most people in their 50s who get a positive will get sick eventually, although if I remember correctly, even the original cruise ship had plenty of asymptomatic infections. But yes, it's not as common as in kids. 

Another question is whether they can spread BEFORE they feel sick or not. I believe the parents of @Ordinary Shoes were infected by a relative who tested positive after she saw them, and who did not feel sick at the time. Now, I don't think this relative was 50, although I don't know... 

• Like 1

I am so sorry, Quill.  I hope that your husband makes  a very quick recovery and that nobody else in your house catches it.

36 minutes ago, Quill said:

But not going to a law firm for two weeks if I am not sick seems bat-sh!t crazy. Even just missing today and tommorow is effing up a bunch of things.

I am a little baffled by this.   Is it really not possible for you to work from home for two weeks?   I know approximately one zillion lawyers, spread across the full range of legal practice areas, and I'd say 95% of them have been working entirely remotely for the past year.  Conference calls, depositions, hearings -- all of it is over zoom.  (Or in the case of the Supreme Court, the telephone.)  I know that some courts, especially criminal courts, are in person, and I've been hearing about some government lawyers having to go into the office at least sometimes;  however, the move to remote work has been so complete across the profession, I wouldn't be surprised if lots of firms stick with some version of it long-term.

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 14

What kind of work are you doing that you can't do it at home?  I'd work with my employer as much as possible in terms of helping and keeping up safely.  But I certainly would not break local health department protocols.  

Our local high care nursing home which publishes it's stats had a number of asymptomatic positives in vulnerable (wheel chair bound, multiple comorbidities ) elderly patients over the past number of months.  They are testing everyone regularly.  My son's big 10 university regularly isolates positive cases that never become symptomatic and their parents complain about it all over the parent boards loudly so I know it is happening.   ETA everyone with a local address is required to test 2X weekly.   I don't think we are doing enough asymptomatic testing to know exact stats. 

ETA There have certainly been asymptomatic transmissions shown at my kid's college where they are doing very deep contact tracing.  

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Quill said:

I doubt it very much because that is literally what the previous assistant wanted to do. Her husband was coming into the office and sanitizing everything. She was trying to keep all clients virtual. She wanted him to go half days. Ultimately...and I wasn’t there, so I don’t know how it went, but my instincts are that she was on the extreme end of careful and he was on the Its-the-flu side mostly and she quit. 

But .  . I'm guessing she wanted to do it for an indeterminate amount of time? Until the end of the pandemic, or until vaccines were available and in lots of arms? No end in sight?

And you just need to do it for a known, limited amount of time.

Those are totally different scenarios.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’m so sorry Quill. This exact situation is why people in my community just didn’t test. The implications on the rest of the household just were too burdensome, inconvenient, or just plain annoying. 

Now I don’t agree with that, but I can see it. And after a year of no one else in my community giving a flip about it, I just might not either if it impacted us. I’ve been careful but at some point I would have gotten salty about bearing a burden no one else was willing to. We are thankfully now vaccinated (which actually also feels like a burden no one else is willing to take in my community) but I have had many moments of feeling really bitter that we are curtailing our lives out of compassion and concern for others and no one else will. 

So, my advice to you, Quill, is of course to follow the guidelines. However, if your circumstances and common sense allow you to go to work, I would not judge and hardly will I point a finger and say “YOU- QUILL- your irresponsible behavior is why this pandemic is out of control!!!” That train left the station long ago and I trust Quill would not work while sick and I trust she would mask and distance as if she was.  Good enough for me. 

I’m not going to return to this thread because I know I’m going to get torched. Just wanted to stick up for Quill and say I trust her judgement and decision making. She has been more careful and thoughtful than millions of yahoos out there not putting their fun let alone their employment in jeopardy.

Edited by teachermom2834
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

So, @Quill, I did some poking around to see what the current thinking about spread is. I know you're feeling pretty panicked and upset, so just skip this if you aren't ready to make decisions based on the blunt evidence. 

The first issue is that when normal people say "asymptomatic," they tend to mean "someone without symptoms." However, when papers talk about "asymptomatic spread," they tend to mean spread by people who never show symptoms. So those are different things. 

It is indeed the case that there's very limited evidence of true asymptomatic spread. Most people who never get any symptoms also don't spread it at all. 

However, there's plenty of evidence of pre-symptomatic spread. For example, take this paper: 

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/27/4/20-4576_article

One of their conclusions is this: 

"In this cluster of COVID-19 cases, little to no transmission occurred from asymptomatic case-patients. Presymptomatic transmission was more frequent than symptomatic transmission." 

This is in line with what I have seen reported in general. You should think about what that should mean for your own behavior when you're able. 

Good luck. This is an awful place to be in. I would be enraged at my husband if I were you. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 3

Oh well, here is some pretty up to date data on asymptomatic transmission

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210110/59-percent-of-covid-cases-stem-from-asymptomatic-spread

Quote ...

About 59% of transmission comes from people without symptoms, according to a new study published Thursday in JAMA Network Open. This includes 35% from people who infect others before they show symptoms and 24% from people who never develop any symptoms.

No one is torching Quill from what I've seen.  Everyone makes their own decisions and accepts their own consequences. People are just discussing protocols, data and experience which may or may not be helpful.  But is often a result of posting here.  I just hope quill stays healthy and her husband recovers quickly.  All I would say is consider how you will feel on the backside if you transmit to someone who gets very ill.  That's how I've been operating since last March. Which honestly has primarily kept me at home.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Can I just say, I hate that you, who have been so careful, are put in this crap situation between a boss and your husband, who were not taking it as seriously. 

Add in just getting your vaccine and the emotional roller coaster must be overwhelming. 

All that said...the white house spread was by people who were not currently symptomatic, and who were regularly testing negative. 

The CDC and your local health department came up with these guidelines for a reason. 

• Like 18

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Can I just say, I hate that you, who have been so careful, are put in this crap situation between a boss and your husband, who were not taking it as seriously. 

Yes.  So infuriated on your behalf.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SKL said:

Your boss will get over it.  Does he think all the other employers around the world are having it easy?

Agreed. It would be pretty petty for someone to hold it against you because of something not in your control. 

Yeah, I think we all feel a lot of sympathy for what you're going through, Quill. It's an all-too-common scenario in this pandemic -- the person who's trying to do things right, who has been doing things right, still ends up stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place. I think most of us are just trying to help you sort it out.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Have you talked to boss yet? I'd present it matter of factly, "Ugh, DH tested positive, so now I'm under mandatory quarantine for 7-10 days. How do you want to handle this? Route phones to my house? Meetings on zoom?"

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, wathe said:

Can you contact your health unit for up to date information?  Their website might have up to date isolation and quarantine information.  In a perfect world, you would get a call from a contact tracer who would give you up to date information and a quarantine order.  The CDC still endorses a 14 day quarantine for close contacts.  I think you should stay home until you get formal direction from your health unit.

I know things are different in the USA than in Canada, but not that different, I don't think.  There must exist a public health order to require quarantine for household contacts that's boss-proof, yes?   I just can't imagine a boss requiring (or being allowed to require) a known household contact of a positive case to come to work.  But I don't live in the US, so there's that.

I don't think so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JennyD said:

I am so sorry, Quill.  I hope that your husband makes  a very quick recovery and that nobody else in your house catches it.

I am a little baffled by this.   Is it really not possible for you to work from home for two weeks?   I know approximately one zillion lawyers, spread across the full range of legal practice areas, and I'd say 95% of them have been working entirely remotely for the past year.  Conference calls, depositions, hearings -- all of it is over zoom.  (Or in the case of the Supreme Court, the telephone.)  I know that some courts, especially criminal courts, are in person, and I've been hearing about some government lawyers having to go into the office at least sometimes, but the move to remote work has been so complete, I wouldn't be surprised if lots of firms stick with it long-term, at least as an option.  

That is a difference with it being a sole practitioner and an older, not super tech friendly lawyer. I just know that this was the breaking point with his prior assistant. She wanted to move as much virtual as possible and he balked at that. I’m not saying it’s impossible; many lawyers are definitely embracing it. My dd’s boss does. But mine doesn’t. 

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

You guys keep talking about state law.  Is there an actual LAW anywhere that dictates what Quill does next?

The Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 264) does have the authority to create quarantine and isolation statutes. They can be enforceable with fines or detention/jailing.  So, yes, there are states with Laws.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

You guys keep talking about state law.  Is there an actual LAW anywhere that dictates what Quill does next?

Here, public health orders (including isolation and quarantine class orders) are legally enforceable under the Health Protection and Promotion Act.  Failure to comply may result in a $5000 fine per day

I expect that the US (or individual states) has something similar.

16 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

There can be local, state and federal laws and mandates at play.  Depends on location.  Places really don't have the ability to fully enforce and they don't want to be punitive though.   So they really only enforce when really needed.

I guess an employer's lack of planning about a situation like this a year into a pandemic would not constitute an emergency for me to the point of considering breaking local health department quarantine recommendations.  Maybe he can be dragged into the 21st century.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skimomma said:

The problem is that one is contagious 2+ days before any symptoms appear.  And it is typically 4-5 days from exposure to symptoms. So, you could be on day 2 of contracting the virus, not have symptoms yet or a positive test result, but still be contagious right now.  That is what sucks about this all.  There is no way to know.  I really struggled with this as we had to cancel a major milestone in dd's life even though we had no symptoms and an early negative test result.  I was so tempted to go through the thought exercise you are.  But then  asked myself how I would feel if we did get a positive result on day 5.  Would I be OK notifying everyone that would be affected by that decision?  The consequences of this on your office is likely to be far worse than missing a few days.  If you go with the bare minimum and test on Sunday, you could limit your quarantine period to 7 days total.

Right, but that is pre-symptomatic, not asymptomatic. I’m saying, from what I have observed, sure, one could transmit the virus while pre-symptomatic - that’s a big part of the argument for universal mask-wearing - but that the unicorn of an adult with COVID who infects scores of people yet never themselves has symptoms Or a positive test is not something I have seen, either in my real world, nor as news stories.

I think it was more of an issue back when it was so darn hard to get a test and then it took 5 days to get the results if you ever did manage to get one. In that case, you couldn’t really know until you possibly had been around tons of people, who potentially infected tons of people, too. But in the current situation, I go pretty much two places: work, and to the grocery store. I wear a mask all day long. I sanitize and wash my hands. I wipe my desk and phone with sanitizing wipes. 

I’m going to go back for a test again on Monday and I will take my son for another test, too. Dh is quarantined in the basement and could live down there for weeks so long as he is not sick enough to go to the hospital. If I and ds are still feeling well and we test negative again on both tests, that is likely good enough for me. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Quill said:

Right, but that is pre-symptomatic, not asymptomatic. I’m saying, from what I have observed, sure, one could transmit the virus while pre-symptomatic - that’s a big part of the argument for universal mask-wearing - but that the unicorn of an adult with COVID who infects scores of people yet never themselves has symptoms Or a positive test is not something I have seen, either in my real world, nor as news stories.

So, here's a question for you -- how would you know if you're pre-symptomatic, exactly? Are you saying you've never seen anyone who has infected people with a negative test in hand? 

I think it was more of an issue back when it was so darn hard to get a test and then it took 5 days to get the results if you ever did manage to get one. In that case, you couldn’t really know until you possibly had been around tons of people, who potentially infected tons of people, too. But in the current situation, I go pretty much two places: work, and to the grocery store. I wear a mask all day long. I sanitize and wash my hands. I wipe my desk and phone with sanitizing wipes. 

I’m going to go back for a test again on Monday and I will take my son for another test, too. Dh is quarantined in the basement and could live down there for weeks so long as he is not sick enough to go to the hospital. If I and ds are still feeling well and we test negative again on both tests, that is likely good enough for me. 

I think that is reasonable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 264) does have the authority to create quarantine and isolation statutes. They can be enforceable with fines or detention/jailing.  So, yes, there are states with Laws.

I do not think quarantine of a close contact is a law here (or, not currently). If it was, surely the telemed doctor would have definitely said so in response to both my and ds’ direct question of “what do I do about work/school?” For me, she said she “recommended” I stay home from work for a week and she thought a second test on Monday would be “wise.” For ds, she recommended he stay home from school for “a few days” and she said coming back for a second test on Monday was “not a bad idea.” 

Surely if there was a law, she would be duty-bound to say so. 

• Thanks 1