Menu

Quick COVID question: would getting the vax ping a positive test result?

Ginevra

In the irony that is life, I got my first vax yesterday, only to come home to dh on the couch, bundled in a blanket, running a fever. He was on a fishing trip this past weekend and was in a bar at one point, where he said “nobody was masked.” He’s getting a rapid test this morning. My boss wants me to get a test too and does not want me to come in until we all get results. 

My question is: does having just had the vax ping a false positive? Or no because the test is mucosal? 

• Sad 10

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It will not affect it, according to the person who administered my test two days after my first vaccine dose.

Edit: and I hope your DH just has some 24 hr bug and will be fine soon and you won’t catch it.

Edited by Danae
  • Like 3

If DH is positive you need to quarantine for at least 10 days, regardless of having a negative test yourself. 

Also, since he has symptoms, he needs to isolate regardless of any testing as well. So negative or positive, he has to isolate for 10 days past start of symptoms, plus fever resolved, etc. 

TECHNICALLY if he doesn't have a positive test you do not need to quarantine, but given how unreliable tests are, you should. If he has a positive test, it doesn't matter how you test. Honestly, since he was out of town and just got back and just started showing symptoms it is too soon for you to test anyway. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, maize said:

No worries about a false positive.

PCR tests are very specific; the mRNA that codes for the viral spike protein is not the target of the PCR test so the vaccine cannot cause a false positive.

A bit off-topic, but do they know some things that COULD trigger a false positive, other than random luck? Or is it specific enough that nothing does it? 

(PCR means they look at the whole genome, is that right?) 

ETA: I'm realizing things I've said may be totally false, which is why I keep editing, lol. Please set me straight if I'm totally misremembering -- definitely not an area of expertise. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

A bit off-topic, but do they know some things that COULD trigger a false positive, other than random luck? Or is it specific enough that nothing does it? 

(PCR means they look at the whole genome, is that right?) 

They don't necessarily look at the whole genome with PCR, but they do target very specific sequences. 

Apparently most antigen tests also target proteins other than the spike protein.

This article has some information about testing targets and vaccines:

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/articles/variants-vaccines-and-what-they-mean-for-covid19-testing.html

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

If DH is positive you need to quarantine for at least 10 days, regardless of having a negative test yourself. 

Also, since he has symptoms, he needs to isolate regardless of any testing as well. So negative or positive, he has to isolate for 10 days past start of symptoms, plus fever resolved, etc. 

TECHNICALLY if he doesn't have a positive test you do not need to quarantine, but given how unreliable tests are, you should. If he has a positive test, it doesn't matter how you test. Honestly, since he was out of town and just got back and just started showing symptoms it is too soon for you to test anyway. 

Is this true? I probably would not get a test except my attorney is telling me to, so I’m doing it to mollify him. There is no possible way I can stay out of work for 10+ days. I mean unless I am actually sick.

Also, there is no possible way dh will refrain from work for 10+ days, unless he is actually positive. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I mean...just being honest. He’s not going to do that; he has been on the more relaxed side this whole time. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Staying out of work etc stops the chain of infection and even if this isn't covid y'all will stop someone else from getting any sort of sick and needing to be tested etc.

There are also false negatives.

I hope you both will reconsider and take this more seriously.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Quill said:

In the irony that is life, I got my first vax yesterday, only to come home to dh on the couch, bundled in a blanket, running a fever. He was on a fishing trip this past weekend and was in a bar at one point, where he said “nobody was masked.” He’s getting a rapid test this morning. My boss wants me to get a test too and does not want me to come in until we all get results. 

My question is: does having just had the vax ping a false positive? Or no because the test is mucosal? 

No. I have given blood since getting my 2nd vax and my antibody test is still coming up negative.

5 minutes ago, Quill said:

Is this true? I probably would not get a test except my attorney is telling me to, so I’m doing it to mollify him. There is no possible way I can stay out of work for 10+ days. I mean unless I am actually sick.

Also, there is no possible way dh will refrain from work for 10+ days, unless he is actually positive. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I mean...just being honest. He’s not going to do that; he has been on the more relaxed side this whole time. 

So my sister is the only person in her family to leave the house. She works, she runs errands. Her husband works from home, her kids are homeschooled. She’s positive she’s the one who brought the virus home. She had one day of being extremely tired. Her test was negative, her antibodies were negative. Her DH was very sick for a full 3 weeks. She was tested again a month later and was still negative with no antibodies.  

52 minutes ago, Quill said:

You should test, and honestly, you should stay home unless you both get negatives and the symptoms don’t match.

Think how you’ll feel it it turns out you have it and your boss or a client get it and get really sick.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

You should test, and honestly, you should stay home unless you both get negatives and the symptoms don’t match.

Think how you’ll feel it it turns out you have it and your boss or a client get it and get really sick.

Yeah I know that but my boss is the one who has to accept or reject that. He has several risk factors. IOW, if I had no job, I would stay at home for two weeks, just to be completely sure I’m not transmitting. But my boss is *not* going to accept that unless I am positive and/or symptomatic. 

Im sitting at the testing site and just had both tests. Dh is finished and he is positive. So this is all epic suckage. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 32

PS, my boss is also getting tested today, but if the 5-day thing is true, he could think he’s fine until next week. 

Also, he should be mighty happy that I am a scrupulous masker, because there’s a better chance he is protected even if I am positive. 

ETA: he has mocked me slightly over my mask scruples. Literally just yesterday he said he has “Covid fatigue” and has gotten lax for himself. It may turn out to be lucky I haven’t been lax.

Edited by Quill
  • Like 11

8 minutes ago, Quill said:

Yeah I know that but my boss is the one who has to accept or reject that. He has several risk factors. IOW, if I had no job, I would stay at home for two weeks, just to be completely sure I’m not transmitting. But my boss is *not* going to accept that unless I am positive and/or symptomatic. 

Im sitting at the testing site and just had both tests. Dh is finished and he is positive. So this is all epic suckage. 

Ok, that sucks. I’m really sorry. I hope he has a mild case and you don’t get it.

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Quill said:

I think it is too soon for you to have tested.  But if your boss is willing to take the chance on letting you work since you tested negative I guess that is up to him.  But this is why the virus has not been containable.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

If you are only around your boss at work and he wants you there, and you test negative and have no symptoms, I would support a decision to go to work as long as you stay far away from him and others.

I would definitely re-test after some days, in case you caught it shortly before or after today's test.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

A negative test doesn’t mean she doesn’t have it or can’t spread it.

The negative test she got to day probably does not mean much.  But by Sunday I think it will be much more accurate.  Especially if done at a good tester.

• Like 5

Just now, Scarlett said:

The negative test she got to day probably does not mean much.  But by Sunday I think it will be much more accurate.  Especially if done at a good tester.

Oh yeah, agreed. Just replying to the idea that she doesn’t have it because she tested negative.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Quill said:

Suckage is a good way to put it.  I'm so sorry!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Just a heads up if the test is negative-  there is a very nasty virus going around. Fever, chills and either or both vomiting and diarrhea.  

Yeah, I wish it were anything else, but his rapid was positive. So I have a Covid+ person in my household. All the bad words. All of them. 

• Sad 20

2 minutes ago, Quill said:

Yeah, I wish it were anything else, but his rapid was positive. So I have a Covid+ person in my household. All the bad words. All of them. 

I can't imagine how hard this must be for you.  You two differ on Covid safety.  I wouldn't be upset if  my dh got covid while being safe and doing things he had to do.  But I would be so upset if he got Covid from going to a bar.  Totally livid.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Quill said:

Boss or no boss, your health department should have guidelines. Your husband is positive. You have had close contact with a Covid Positive person. You are supposed to quarantine for at least 7 days from LAST contact with your DH while he is still considered contagious, if you test negative at day 5 or 6, or 10 days if you don't take a test. A test today has nothing to do with anything, unfortunately. 

Can you move out so you can shorten your quarantine?

Does your boss really want you coming in knowing you are exposed to a positive person?

• Like 16

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

I can't imagine how hard this must be for you.  You two differ on Covid safety.  I wouldn't be upset if  my dh got covid while being safe and doing things he had to do.  But I would be so upset if he got Covid from going to a bar.  Totally livid.

Especially if his bar going put my job at risk. 

I'm so sorry Quill. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Quill said:

I'm sorry Quill.  I know you've been fastidiously careful.

Doesn't your state/ public health unit have mandatory quarantine for household contacts?  Here, household contacts have mandatory quarantine orders.  No boss can over-ride those. 

(There is also a mandatory self-isolation order for those with symptoms -they either have to stay home for 10 days, or test; can return to work before 10 days if the test is negative plus 24 hours and symptoms are improving.  Bosses can't over-ride that either.)

Here's a Maryland document from October that states contacts of cases should quarantine for `14 days

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Boss or no boss, your health department should have guidelines. Your husband is positive. You have had close contact with a Covid Positive person. You are supposed to quarantine for at least 7 days from LAST contact with your DH while he is still considered contagious, if you test negative at day 5 or 6, or 10 days if you don't take a test. A test today has nothing to do with anything, unfortunately. 

This is what I was thinking, too.

3 minutes ago, wathe said:

I'm sorry Quill.  I know you've been fastidiously careful.

Doesn't your state/ public health unit have mandatory quarantine for household contacts?  Here, household contacts have mandatory quarantine orders.  No boss can over-ride those. 

(There is also a mandatory self-isolation order for those with symptoms -they either have to stay home for 10 days, or test; can return to work before 10 days if the test is negative plus 24 hours and symptoms are improving.  Bosses can't over-ride that either.)

Here's a Maryland document from October that states contacts of cases should quarantine for `14 days

I think that is old info, though. I asked at the facility with the telehealth doctor. Telehealth doctor said I should not go to work for a week at minimum. There is a work note in my portal, although this portal is really frustrating me at the moment. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Can you move out so you can shorten your quarantine?

Does your boss really want you coming in knowing you are exposed to a positive person?

I’m not moving out of my house. I’m sorry but that seems totally ridiculous. Our house is gigantic. It is totally possible for us to live in separate parts of the house for a week or more. I already had a sort of test run of this when my dd got home from France. For sure, it’s different with a legit, symptomatic positive person but still...it’s not a fait accompli that I will get sick too. 

My boss is certainly struggling with the idea that I may be out for seven days. I mean, I highly doubt he would actually fire me, because that would be a severe negative *for him* for much longer than a week. But I guarantee I am not anyone’s favorite employee or coworker right now because of the mayhem of domino effect. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

Just now, Quill said:

My boss is certainly struggling with the idea that I may be out for seven days. I mean, I highly doubt he would actually fire me, because that would be a severe negative *for him* for much longer than a week. But I guarantee I am not anyone’s favorite employee or coworker right now because of the mayhem of domino effect. 

Your boss will get over it.  Does he think all the other employers around the world are having it easy?

We haven't had an actual Covid case at work that we know of, but we have had to tell people to go home until they got a negative test result.  It stinks, but we're all in the same boat as far as that goes.

Do invoke your local rules / laws to the extent they bind your employer.  My previous comment was assuming that going to work wasn't breaking laws/rules.

The time will fly by.  Plus, he'll have the opportunity to miss you a little.  😛

• Like 10

I'm sorry, that stinks. According to the health dept here the person positive was considered isolating as long as they had their own living spaces and bathroom. We had to isolate when ds was positive, we had him in the basement which has its own bathroom and entrance door so he could go outside for fresh air without going through the whole house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Quill said:

I think that is old info, though. I asked at the facility with the telehealth doctor. Telehealth doctor said I should not go to work for a week at minimum. There is a work note in my portal, although this portal is really frustrating me at the moment. 

Can you contact your health unit for up to date information?  Their website might have up to date isolation and quarantine information.  In a perfect world, you would get a call from a contact tracer who would give you up to date information and a quarantine order.  The CDC still endorses a 14 day quarantine for close contacts.  I think you should stay home until you get formal direction from your health unit.

I know things are different in the USA than in Canada, but not that different, I don't think.  There must exist a public health order to require quarantine for household contacts that's boss-proof, yes?   I just can't imagine a boss requiring (or being allowed to require) a known household contact of a positive case to come to work.  But I don't live in the US, so there's that.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Quill said:

There are laws requiring he give you sick leave if positive. He won’t have a choice. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lauraw4321 said:

There are laws requiring he give you sick leave if positive. He won’t have a choice. 

I think this is a little bit different with a sole practitioner, though. He was surely supposed to close when we got SAH order last March (I wasn’t working there then) but evidently, he never honored the SAH order. This is why his previous assistant quit with barely any notice. They were at odds over COVID.

• Sad 6

1 minute ago, Quill said:

I think this is a little bit different with a sole practitioner, though. He was surely supposed to close when we got SAH order last March (I wasn’t working there then) but evidently, he never honored the SAH order. This is why his previous assistant quit with barely any notice. They were at odds over COVID.

Well, it’s different in the sense that he may not get in trouble if no one reports him, I guess?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Quill said:

I think those laws expired actually. I was just searching. You may be right. Ugh. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What if you reframe:  The probability is very high* that you meet the criteria for a mandated quarantine.  Breaking mandated quarantine is breaking the law.  You could get into trouble for that.  Presumably he could too if he insists that you come in to work.

*More than very high.  Near certainty.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Well, it’s different in the sense that he may not get in trouble if no one reports him, I guess?

Yes. Andhe’s been a Workers Comp attny for 20+ years, so he likely has a good grasp of work-related medical laws. 

• Like 2

On a positive note, we had a covid+ in our tiny house and isolated the person.  The other household members did not get sick.  We followed the advice to test 5 days after last exposure.  We were negative and therefore allowed to end quarantine on day 7.  We continued to quarantine until day 10 anyway, just because we could.  We are now weeks out and everyone is still negative.  Our isolated person had their own bedroom but we only have one bath so we did all have to use that.  We kept the vent fan on 24/7, everyone wore masks in the bathroom, except when showering, and our isolated person hand sanitized before entering the room and was asked to text us any time he used it so we could make a point to stay out for at least an hour afterward.  We almost didn't bother as we were all in a single car for hours the day before the symptoms first appeared.  I figured we were for sure going to get it, but somehow didn't.  I'm baffled but will take it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2