Menu

ER or not?

BakersDozen

17yodd had 2 wisdom teeth removed this morning. She cannot keep anything down including pain meds. She's going on 12 hours of no fluids/nutrients and is incredible pain. It's 10pm here - would you take her to the ER for IV fluids/meds? She had the Zofran at 7:30 that dissolves but got sick even with that. The poor girl.

Edited by BakersDozen
  • Sad 5

If it were me, I think I would take her just for an IV and possible other help. I’m so sorry she’s going through this - it’s hard to see your kids in pain. 

Also, does your oral surgeon have an after-hours number you can call? I would try that as well to see what they recommend. If they don’t, I’d take her in. 

Edited by PinkTulip
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

17yodd had 2 wisdom teeth removed this morning. She cannot keep anything down including pain meds. She's going on 12 hours of no fluids/nutrients and is incredible pain. It's 10pm here - would you take her to the ER for IV fluids/meds? She had the Zofran at 7:30 that dissolves but got sick even with that. The poor girl.

Poor thing.  I would guess it is the pain meds making her sick. It took me a few years before I figured out I cannot take any narcotic/opioid type meds.  One of the worst was throwing up after eye surgery.  I imagine throwing up after mouth surgery is bad too.  

• Sad 1

Same thing happened to my dd and we found a transdermal anti-nausea med that she used.  It allowed her to keep food down so that she could take the pain meds.  It was a tricky balance for a few days.  She used a lot of ice/heat packs to relieve the pain when couldn't take the pain meds - not ideal but she managed.  

1 hour ago, jen3kids said:

Same thing happened to my dd and we found a transdermal anti-nausea med that she used.  It allowed her to keep food down so that she could take the pain meds.  It was a tricky balance for a few days.  She used a lot of ice/heat packs to relieve the pain when couldn't take the pain meds - not ideal but she managed.  

Was it the pain meds making her sick?  

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Was it the pain meds making her sick?  

Yes, definitely.  And but she couldn't keep down anything, including oral anti-nausea meds.  She needed something in her stomach to buffer the pain meds.  That's when her dr told us about the trans-dermal anti-nausea patch.   It enabled her to keep food down so she could take the pain meds.   I know to ask for that in the future for her.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jen3kids said:

Yes - they can put a patch on her, goes behind the ear and will give longer lasting nausea control. And they can give pain meds via IV or injection. 

edit - I think the patch is scopalamine? When I had my bariatric surgery they put it on me before I woke up, so that the pain meds wouldn't make me puke. 

Edited by ktgrok

We learned with first dd not to do the oxycodone for pain that the oral surgeon prescribed--much nausea and dizziness. For second dd she alternated tylenol and ibuprofen and did fine (but her roots were smaller, so probably an easier operation overall). Hope your dd is doing better today.

2 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

We learned with first dd not to do the oxycodone for pain that the oral surgeon prescribed--much nausea and dizziness. For second dd she alternated tylenol and ibuprofen and did fine (but her roots were smaller, so probably an easier operation overall). Hope your dd is doing better today.

I had an emergency appendectomy and I did not take anything afterwards except Ibuprofin and tylenol.  I was fine.  Much better than vomiting for sure.

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

We got home around 2am. For an empty fast track and a lot of standing around it took an awful long time to get an IV started. She went from washed out pale and listless to normal color and talking very quickly. Today she's sleepy but doing ever so much better. No more heavy pain meds for her from here on out if she can avoid it. I think she would be much more miserable today had we not gone in.

The nurse did tell us about the anti-nausea patch - good to know!

• Like 15

6 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

2 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

We got home around 2am. For an empty fast track and a lot of standing around it took an awful long time to get an IV started. She went from washed out pale and listless to normal color and talking very quickly. Today she's sleepy but doing ever so much better. No more heavy pain meds for her from here on out if she can avoid it. I think she would be much more miserable today had we not gone in.

The nurse did tell us about the anti-nausea patch - good to know!

2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

So glad she's better! What pain meds did she take? (I have a kid getting her wisdom teeth removed next week.)

In retrospect, I wouldn't have had any of my kids take opiates after getting their wisdom teeth out.   I would have pushed ice/hot packs and ibuprofen/acetomenophen combination.  

• Like 4