Menu

Christmase tree: handmade ornaments

IfIOnly

We're doing all homemade this year except lights. This will be our crafting extravaganza project. We're all super excited! Any ideas?

Some ideas we've gathered:

Popcorn and cranberry string

Dried orange rounds

Gingerbread cinnamon, good-smelling ornaments

Pinecones

Wood round slices with pictures or words with paint or wood burning, etc.

Salt dough ornaments

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 3

We tried stringing popcorn and cranberries one year, inspired by old stories.  And we never could finish the cranberries-they are HARD!

I would suggest those Danish woven heart ornaments.  Red and white are traditional, but I like to use two pearlized papers that are not so high in contrast.

Yarn dolls are nice.  Cornhusk angels are nicely traditional and pretty easy.

I haven't made straw stars, but would like to try that sometime.

Gingerbread cut out stained glass cookies would be very festive on a tree.

Of course a gingerbread house is practically a requirement!

One year when my tree looked a little plain I just tied a bunch of bows with very wide (4-5 inches) wire edged ribbon and placed them here and there on the tree.  These were so lightweight that they didn't need to be secured--just laid up on a branch.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

We tried stringing popcorn and cranberries one year, inspired by old stories.  And we never could finish the cranberries-they are HARD!

I would suggest those Danish woven heart ornaments.  Red and white are traditional, but I like to use two pearlized papers that are not so high in contrast.

One year when my tree looked a little plain I just tied a bunch of bows with very wide (4-5 inches) wire edged ribbon and placed them here and there on the tree.  These were so lightweight that they didn't need to be secured--just laid up on a branch.

Those woven hearts are so pretty! Thank you for the great suggestions.

3 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

We've done different origami as ornaments over the holidays and strung them with thick thread.  There are lots of online resources ...

https://www.origami-fun.com/christmas-origami.html

Oh! My 12 year old is super into origami. Thank you!

And how could I forget simple paper snowflake ornaments? Maybe with some irradescent glitter? Those would be pretty.

• Like 1

I have a 'theme" tree - the rule being everything had to be homemade.

spruce cones - use an eye screw in the end.  You can them spray clear adhesive/clear coat - sprinkle with glitter.  allow to dry.

crystal (plastic) beats in different sizes for icicles. (I used round faceted i different sizes, tri-beads, and pinwheels.)  use dental floss so they are more flexible/will hang straight.  I used fine gauge wire.  make a loop at the end and use ornament hangers.

you can also string the beads into a garland.

if anyone crochets - there are tons of crocheted snowflake patterns online.  (make sure they have six points.)  (

there are beaded bells

beaded wreaths  (some are strung/wired - others are just glued.)

• Thanks 1

I was going to suggest paper items like snowflakes, especially if you can find directions for 6 pointed flakes. 

Here is another paper craft idea: http://www.heartlandweekend.com/scherenschnitte-create-paper-ornaments/  

Bead crafts are always nice.

Please post pictures if you think of it. I have always wanted to decorate this way at least one year! 

• Thanks 1

When the kids were little, our tree only had handmade ornaments. 
Pompoms - use a variety of colors of yarn!
I had a few small cross stitch ones that I made pre-kids.
My sister - who has an embroidery machine made us gingerbread men, stockings, Christmas teddy bears, things like that. Those were handmade, but it would be easier to do these with felt and embroidery floss too. 
I also have a few made from plastic canvas - diamond shaped with shapes like stained glass on the sides. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Thanks 1

We’re making these this year. I’m not sure how they’ll turn out since we haven’t tried them before, but they look so pretty and fun. 

we made these a few years ago and gave away to the grandparents. I’m still bummed that I didn’t keep some for myself. I don’t have a clue why I didn’t! But they turned out really cute and I love that it permanently has a fingerprint on it. 

one of my kids made one of these at co-op one year and it still looks so good! They used a clear ball, stuffed cotton inside, and glued on the face. So cute! (They just did the face; no scarf)

eta: fix link

Edited by mmasc
Fix link
  • Thanks 1

We are making these:

Non-edible cinnamon ornaments

They make the house smell fantastic when they dry in the oven. I use a straw instead of a toothpick to punch a hole for ribbon or twine.  

My mom made a bunch of these no-sew Scandinavian star ornaments for neighbor gifts last year. They’re so pretty! 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

I have a 'theme" tree - the rule being everything had to be homemade.

spruce cones - use an eye screw in the end.  You can them spray clear adhesive/clear coat - sprinkle with glitter.  allow to dry.

crystal (plastic) beats in different sizes for icicles. (I used round faceted i different sizes, tri-beads, and pinwheels.)  use dental floss so they are more flexible/will hang straight.  I used fine gauge wire.  make a loop at the end and use ornament hangers.

you can also string the beads into a garland.

if anyone crochets - there are tons of crocheted snowflake patterns online.  (make sure they have six points.)  (

there are beaded bells

beaded wreaths  (some are strung/wired - others are just glued.)

I love your theme. The eye screws are a great idea for hanging pinecones. Thank you for the neat ideas!

5 hours ago, kbutton said:

I was going to suggest paper items like snowflakes, especially if you can find directions for 6 pointed flakes. 

Here is another paper craft idea: http://www.heartlandweekend.com/scherenschnitte-create-paper-ornaments/  

Bead crafts are always nice.

Please post pictures if you think of it. I have always wanted to decorate 1this way at least one year! 

I loved this video. What a neat tradition. I'd never heard of scherenschnitte. I will post a pic or two! It may take us awhile, but we'll try for sooner than later. Gives us an excuse for keeping the tree up longer anyway. 

4 hours ago, mellifera33 said:

I've been making Froebel stars. After watching the video about ten times I can usually make them on my own. lol

Oh, my son will love this and can show us how, I'm sure. Maybe he can even somehow help me do one. Haha. Thank you!

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bambam said:

When the kids were little, our tree only had handmade ornaments. 
Pompoms - use a variety of colors of yarn!
I had a few small cross stitch ones that I made pre-kids.
My sister - who has an embroidery machine made us gingerbread men, stockings, Christmas teddy bears, things like that. Those were handmade, but it would be easier to do these with felt and embroidery floss too. 
I also have a few made from plastic canvas - diamond shaped with shapes like stained glass on the sides. 

Aw, so sweet! Cross stitch would be really cool. Thank you!

3 hours ago, mmasc said:

We’re making these this year. I’m not sure how they’ll turn out since we haven’t tried them before, but they look so pretty and fun. 

we made these a few years ago and gave away to the grandparents. I’m still bummed that I didn’t keep some for myself. I don’t have a clue why I didn’t! But they turned out really cute and I love that it permanently has a fingerprint on it. 

one of my kids made one of these at co-op one year and it still looks so good! They used a clear ball, stuffed cotton inside, and glued on the face. So cute! (They just did the face; no scarf)

eta: fix link

These are super cute. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Pippen said:

You can do a lot with felt by adding trim, glitter, etc. Mine are all packed away but do a google search and you'll see a lot of variety.

I did Google and found so many adorable crafts. I have to at least do the mitten and snowman ones I came across. Thank you!

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

Not a tree ornament, but I've watched a few videos on making wreaths and garland with boxwood.  I have an overgrown Korean boxwood that I secretly want to kill, so it can't hurt to trim it for greenery.

What a great idea. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

We are making these:

They make the house smell fantastic when they dry in the oven. I use a straw instead of a toothpick to punch a hole for ribbon or twine.  

My mom made a bunch of these no-sew Scandinavian star ornaments for neighbor gifts last year. They’re so pretty! 

Oh, cloves and nutmeg added to the cinnamon is great. Totally making this beautiful no sew star. Thank you!

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

My tree usually has "finger chains". Yarn knitted with your fingers as the needles. https://www.instructables.com/How-to-chain-knit-with-your-fingers/

Kids looove to finger knit, and I think this will look perfect. THANK YOU!

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 1

We used Star Wars cookie cutters with applesauce/cinnamon to make ornaments. They are a lovely brown color when dried. I hung them with cream ribbon (use a straw to make a hole for stringing the ribbon before they dry.) The tree looks really classic and beautiful—it’s a huge kick when people realize it’s yoda’s face and the Mandalorian’s helmet, etc. (We made these about four years ago.) 

We likewise failed at stringing cranberries.

1 hour ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

We are making these:

I've got to go out and about for a doctor's appointment tomorrow. I think I'll pick up some fusing and make some of these stars. Christmas present for my neighbor and some Christmas fun for us - yay!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I will mention that I made beautiful gingerbread men and hung them on my first tree when I had an apartment of my own. We had heavy rain right before Christmas and they all absorbed moisture and broke off their little loops. All those dead gingerbread men around the base of my tree was a sad sight!

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

46 minutes ago, IfIOnly said:

I love your theme. The eye screws are a great idea for hanging pinecones. Thank you for the neat ideas!

I'm sure you've experience, but just in case a good reminder - 

always sprinkle glitter over a piece of paper that can be folded so excess glitter can be reused.   I always sprayed stuff outside while holding it by an ornament hook - while I was wearing gloves.  (I also spray painted a bunch of inherited glass balls white, and covered them with ultra-fine white iridescent glitter to make "snowballs".)

this is my "homemade" tree from last year. . .. . this year will be interesting.  now - we have cat.  

2018-12-25 05.03.49.jpg

• Like 5

It sounds lovely!

When I think of “handmade ornaments” I think of things like the snowflake cupcake topper my daughter tied to dental floss and hung on the tree... that we still put up every year, lol. Along with the mishmosh of 5 kids and 22 years of both kid-made and store bought pieces collected through our lives.

Someday I’d like to have space for a second tree that has an official theme to it.

• Thanks 1

Cover small paper cups with foil. Poke a hole in the bottom, feed a pipe cleaner through it, bend it on the inside of the cup so that it holds, turn the cup upside down and make the rest of the pipe cleaner into a hook or loop and you have silver bells to hang on your tree. 

• Thanks 1

The absolute easiest handmade ornaments I know of are based on two piece snap together clear plastic bases--they are available from Discount School Supply in several shapes.  Even the smallest kids can fill these with pompoms or potholder loom loops and snap them together to hang on the tree.  Or you can squirt in 3-4 colors of thick tempura paint or Biocolor paint, and a little glitter, and close it and shake it to distribute, and then open it again to dry, and you'll have marbelized colors on the inside of the ornaments.

• Thanks 1

An aside--one year almost everyone in our house got norovirus the week leading up to Christmas. I put a big tub of craft stuff out for my little ones who weren't stuck in sick bay so they could make ornaments for small trees for their rooms. Popsicle sticks of varying sizes, glue, glitter, decorative trim, fabric scraps, felt, beads, etc. I had supplies stashed that they hadn't seen before so it just wasn't the same old craft stuff. No directions or patterns--they made whatever they wanted. Everyone had a big cafeteria tray to work on and I just left it out since we didn't need the kitchen table. 

It kept them occupied for hours and the ornaments they made were adorable. :wub:

Edited by Pippen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2