Menu

How much would you spend on teen swimsuit?

Calizzy

We are shopping after summer sales for a swimsuit for next year for dd who will be 13. We are moving into women’s suits now, not kids. And I want to get her a nice suit that she feels good wearing. But she is still a kid, she doesn’t exactly have “problem areas” like mama that warrant an expensive suit 🤪 how much do you think is reasonable for this age?

Does she swim a lot?  Need one for actual swimming or just splashing around in the water?  How many times will she wear it before she outgrows it?

Lands end clearance sales have worked for us.  Often I buy the tankini top there and then just a solid bottom somewhere else cheaper 

• Like 3

I buy my teens' suits at the local swim shop, off the sale rack. $15 for boys' jsmmers and $25 for a girls' practice quality suit. Neither if mine are year round swimmers, but they do have long, relatively thin builds and the team suits fit well and hold up well.

swimoutlet.com is good too.

My daughter swims a lot and we get her suits from swim outlet or the shop right behind us.  She likes Dolfin for a one piece suit to swim in.  Most suits geared at teens are not generally what I am looking to put on my daughter.  I do like the Lands End suits from the catalogue, but never have tried them.  If swimming in a pool, I like the suits with Lycra instead of spandex...they last so much longer in the chlorine.

27 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Does she swim a lot?  Need one for actual swimming or just splashing around in the water?  How many times will she wear it before she outgrows it?

Lands end clearance sales have worked for us.  Often I buy the tankini top there and then just a solid bottom somewhere else cheaper 

I second this! We love Lands End even for teens. But we've also had good luck at Target. Lands End on sale is not really any more than a Target suit.

• Like 2

My daughter uses swimsuits really hard between boarding and a membership to a water park.  The Landsend tugless ones have been her favorite for several years now.  On sale they are the same as Target ......her Target suit did not hold up for her at all.

Usually $50 to 100. I would say $60-70 is typical. Sometimes we add another piece if it is a two piece, so 3 pieces together are usually $100.  It wasn't uncommon for dd21 to need two suits in a summer. Her body fluctuates a lot with weight and a 5lb change usually meant a new size suit.  She typically had a one piece and a two piece. 

On the rare occasion that we find a bargain for under $50, she got two so they lasted longer. So bargains weren't usually cheaper LOL

My girls like Target bikinis and don't swim a huge amount so they hold up fine. Like their suits from 2018 are still usable (though they tend to get a new one every year and keep wearing the older ones also). But I would also be willing to buy a more expensive suit if there was a real need.

It depends.  If she’s doing swimming as a sport it’s worth spending more for something that will stand up to the chlorine and if she’s finished growing I’d spend more for something that will last. But if she’s only going to the beach a handful of times I wouldn’t spend too much.  Actual $ values from Aus probably aren’t relevant 

27 minutes ago, katilac said:

I would really not count on a swimsuit selected this summer fitting her next summer. 

Agreed. My teen girls’ bodies changed so much from year-to-year, even after they stopped growing taller. I wouldn’t have purchased suits in advance. 

We spend $50-$100 per suit for teens, and we usually have two suits/person. 

Edited by 2squared

For swim team / swim lessons, I spend about $25 on a Lands' End tank suit on sale.

For social / fun swimming, I often buy four pieces: a bikini bottom (Amazon), boy shorts (Amazon), a bikini or tankini top (Justice), and a rash guard (Justice). It probably totals about $55-$60.

When my girls were that age, I had zero luck buying ahead. 😕 I wasted a ton of $ between 10-15 trying to buy things ahead. lol

My kids live in the water during the summer - whether swim team, the public pool, a friend's pool, the lake, or the ocean. Around that age, we bought lots of lands end and dolfin tank suits because they could move and swim around!! Those suits held up really well to lots of wear. Both dds have also life guarded and had good luck with the Nike tanks they had to use for that. 

Now, the past few summers, for DD2, we've spent an embarrassing amount of money for a few skimpy strings of fabric so she could lay out by the pool or hang out with friends at the lake. lol Gone are the days of sensible, reasonably priced tanks. 😂

Although, she does buy a few bikinis from Target each season because they're cute and well-priced. Not sure of their offerings for a 13 year old, though. That age was so hard to shop for (hence the Lands End and Dolfin...)