Menu

COVID hitting home

sangtarah

Oh my. I would be very concerned if your sister is positive. Can she get a test? 

As for how likely, there are too many variable to say, but I would start at finding out if she herself tests positive. Once she knows that (or while waiting on the results), she can work through how much risky behavior was happening at the house with grandma. If, say, she waved at grandma and then they were mostly distanced and not sharing food and not together in tiny rooms, she may be okay. But if they did the opposite, there is more risk it was passed, if your sister s in fact positive. 

I’m so sorry it’s hitting home.  Hoping that friends, sister, and her family are ok!  And, goodness, that it didn’t make it to your parents and grandma.

I think the risk all depends on distancing and behavior while they were visiting.  Let’s hope it didn’t get passed along.

20 hours ago, kand said:

When was she in contact with her friend who tested positive?

The week before. They have been having normal church services and small bible studies for awhile. 

20 hours ago, Quill said:

Oh my. I would be very concerned if your sister is positive. Can she get a test? 

As for how likely, there are too many variable to say, but I would start at finding out if she herself tests positive. Once she knows that (or while waiting on the results), she can work through how much risky behavior was happening at the house with grandma. If, say, she waved at grandma and then they were mostly distanced and not sharing food and not together in tiny rooms, she may be okay. But if they did the opposite, there is more risk it was passed, if your sister s in fact positive. 

Edited by sangtarah

2 minutes ago, sangtarah said:

She said the headache has been horrific. And she’s easily winded. Her husband has been really tired. 

Headache seems to be a very common symptom for Covid. Maybe the parents can take some measures to avoid exposing grandma in case they get it from the daughter but grandma doesn’t.

36 minutes ago, Quill said:

Once she knows that (or while waiting on the results), she can work through how much risky behavior was happening at the house with grandma. 

I'll be the contrarian and say there's no reason to do this: what's done is done. There's no changing the level of potential exposure now, and there's no way to say they didn't get it if they distanced, or did get it if they hugged. All they can do is be extra careful about staying home and distancing until they know (all of them). 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

Maybe this would be a good time to recommend the various supplements @Pen has mentioned to the parents and grandma? At a minimum, vitamin d and zinc. They might be able to improve their odds a bit still, especially if they didn't get a heavy viral load.

Yes, thanks for mentioning that. I’ll let them know if I can find the list again. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2020 at 2:35 PM, sangtarah said:

My sister in Seminole county (Central Florida) found out that their good friends tested positive late last week. She has been feeling sick since Friday. She and her kids spent all last week until Thursday at my parents and 91 yr old grandma. How likely is it that she passed it to them? 😭

Nm

On 7/19/2020 at 3:24 PM, Innisfree said:

Maybe this would be a good time to recommend the various supplements @Pen has mentioned to the parents and grandma? At a minimum, vitamin d and zinc. They might be able to improve their odds a bit still, especially if they didn't get a heavy viral load.

Nm

Edited by Pen
  • Like 6

I would consider getting tested.  If it’s Covid they can then start supplementing and monitoring oxygen levels etc.  I really hope that your family will all be ok.  From what I understand people can have respiratory issues before they really feel overly ill but if they can monitor with the pulse oximeter and seek help early if things aren’t going well the outcomes are likely to be better.  For everyone but mostly  for the older ones.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, sangtarah said:

She said the headache has been horrific. And she’s easily winded. Her husband has been really tired. 

Yes, those are Covid symptoms. The convention center testing has been having a shorter line, last wednesday they said less than an hour (drive through). My sister has had success just stalking the website for CentraCare (urgent care in this area) to keep checking for cancelations. They give results same day, it's just hard to get in to get an appointment. But she's done well so far by checking constantly for cancellations. 

On 7/19/2020 at 3:46 PM, Ausmumof3 said:

I would consider getting tested.  If it’s Covid they can then start supplementing and monitoring oxygen levels etc.  I really hope that your family will all be ok.  From what I understand people can have respiratory issues before they really feel overly ill but if they can monitor with the pulse oximeter and seek help early if things aren’t going well the outcomes are likely to be better.  For everyone but mostly  for the older ones.

Bnm

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I would pretty much assume Covid currently given rates in FL, an exposure, and the symptoms ...  but possibly a positive test could help the parents and grandma get help earlier

honestly even if test were negative, currently in circumstances I personally would still assume CV19 and a false negative - this really isn’t other flu like illness season, and right now CV19 is the horse not the zebra where there are hoofbeats

Edited by Pen
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Pen said:

I would pretty much assume Covid currently given rates in FL, an exposure, and the symptoms ...  but possibly a positive test could help the parents and grandma get help earlier

And the more people tested and tracked, the better understanding the health department and others have of the current situation. With decisions needing to be made regarding schools, reopening, etc, if she can be tested without hardship, it helps

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

And the more people tested and tracked, the better understanding the health department and others have of the current situation. With decisions needing to be made regarding schools, reopening, etc, if she can be tested without hardship, it helps

I agree. 

Where I am it is still very difficult to get a test unless sick enough for hospitalization.

If it is possible there, it would be good to do. 

• Like 2

My SIL was exposed at work to someone who had had a fever the evening before and was feeling terrible and didn’t mention any of that until she’d been in the room with them for 2 hours. As soon as she heard that, my SIL picked up her stuff and left. It was only through my SIL’s insistence that the work colleague got tested and sure enough was positive.

Edited by TCB
Punctuation
  • Like 1
  • Sad 12

1 hour ago, sangtarah said:

So transmission sounds like it went this way: friend B gets sick and tests positive. Friend A goes on boating/fishing day trip with a group of people (my sister and family included) on Saturday. Friend A becomes symptomatic on Monday. My sister becomes symptomatic on Friday. 
She knew friend B had been positive on Sat, but didn’t think friend A would pass it on since friend A wasn’t “sick”. 

I’m struggling with resentment. My sister should not have traveled to see our parents/grandma if she knew friend B was positive! 

Now I just have to wait and see, and that’s infuriating! Just last week when I called they were kinda poking fun at how paranoid I’ve been. 

Sounds like pretty typical CV19 clusters spread.

I hope all involved are staying isolated (other than perhaps to get tested or if hospital is needed) now. 

I hope your parents and grandma will be okay. 

I’d be beyond angry if it were my sister.  🥶

ETA: and not st all happy with whole group for telling you that you are paranoid whilst they go out and behave recklessly (which they did, even if it hasn’t actually spread past Friend A and they have some other illness).  

Have your parents and grandma been alerted to likelihood that they have been exposed and should be staying home? 

Btw— were they outside only for the fishing and boating?  And how close physical distancing? (I presume they are not mask wearers.) 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

I'm going to throw something out there that I heard a doctor talk about awhile ago because it is simple and definitely couldn't hurt.  I'm not sure it will help, but again can't hurt.  He does recommend taking Vit D and Zinc.  He suggests drinking a few ounces of tonic water with the Zinc because like HCQ it acts as an ionophore.  Like I said, not sure it will help.  Someone with more knowledge might weigh in on this.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Teresa in MO said:

I'm going to throw something out there that I heard a doctor talk about awhile ago because it is simple and definitely couldn't hurt.  I'm not sure it will help, but again can't hurt.  He does recommend taking Vit D and Zinc.  He suggests drinking a few ounces of tonic water with the Zinc because like HCQ it acts as an ionophore.  Like I said, not sure it will help.  Someone with more knowledge might weigh in on this.

That’s why Quercetin is recommended to take with Zinc- it acts as an ionophore.  Perhaps more than tonic water or just more proven maybe.  But if I did t have quercetin, I’d be drinking tonic water with my zinc.

1 hour ago, Teresa in MO said:

Tonic water was one of the things that sold out early here.

I love tonic water, but afaik it doesn’t have much quinine in it (at least current US tonic doesn’t— maybe elsewhere or in past eras it did).   I think it might take liters, not just ounces, to get a therapeutic dose.

(If  I had some and no other zinc ionophore, it could make sense as better than nothing, but a probably “medicinal” dosage of Quercitin powder or capsules seems more sensible to get if having to buy something.) 

Edited by Pen

4 hours ago, sangtarah said:

my sister should not have traveled to see our parents/grandma if she knew friend B was positive. 

granted it was poor judgment, but the parents and grand made the choice to allow the visit. she could have been carrying anyway and they accepted that risk. ive visited my mother and i said upfront no guarantees,you choose. and she came to my house, same gig. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PeterPan said:

granted it was poor judgment, but the parents and grand made the choice to allow the visit. she could have been carrying anyway and they accepted that risk. ive visited my mother and i said upfront no guarantees,you choose. and she came to my house, same gig. 

You are correct in a way, of course. They did accept the hypothetical risk, but if she had told them someone she knew was positive, they would have denied the concrete risk. 
What’s done is done, and I’m praying for the best outcome for all.   

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Pen said:

Have your parents and grandma been alerted to likelihood that they have been exposed and should be staying home? 

Btw— were they outside only for the fishing and boating?  And how close physical distancing? (I presume they are not mask wearers.) 

Edited by sangtarah
Privacy
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, sangtarah said:

Yes, my parents know. They aren’t telling grandma, they don’t want her to worry. 
I don’t know about the circumstances surrounding the outing. 

It’s hard to do the things that might potentially help without knowing. 

It sounds like they prefer the idea of living “without worrying” (and perhaps by avoiding information?) whether now or to have not done such a visit in first place?  

I guess we are weird, because we are responsible for 3 elderly people and have not done anything outside our house since March so we are able to help them and keep them safe.  The last thing I would want is to be responsible for making my dad or my in-laws sick with this.  And...we do have to go to an orthodontist appt tomorrow (for both boys and it is their first outing), but have spent the weekend cleaning their places and getting them stocked on food to be away from them for 2 weeks.  I just don't get what some people are doing 😞 !

And...I don't include people that have to go to work in this.  I honestly don't think people need to be boating with friends, having parties, or going to church in person even.  Especially with the current trend in positive cases, hospitalizations, and deaths.

@sangtarah I do hope your parents and grandmother are safe and don't get this.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I guess we are weird, because we are responsible for 3 elderly people and have not done anything outside our house since March so we are able to help them and keep them safe.  The last thing I would want is to be responsible for making my dad or my in-laws sick with this.  And...we do have to go to an orthodontist appt tomorrow (for both boys and it is their first outing), but have spent the weekend cleaning their places and getting them stocked on food to be away from them for 2 weeks.  I just don't get what some people are doing 😞 !

And...I don't include people that have to go to work in this.  I honestly don't think people need to be boating with friends, having parties, or going to church in person even.  Especially with the current trend in positive cases, hospitalizations, and deaths.

@sangtarah I do hope your parents and grandmother are safe and don't get this.

I don’t know about the grandma and her attitude, but iirc, @sangtarah had to stand up to pressure from the parents who wanted to visit Sangtarah, from a place of high incidence and traveling through other places of high incidence and making other group visit(s) enroute. 

They seemed to be borderline emotionally abusive towards sangtarah for her wanting to keep things safer. 

I am most of all glad that @sangtarah has acted to keep herself and own nuclear family safe, and hope that that will continue.  I would worry that the more reckless family members may draw her in with more pressure, such as to go to FL to help them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pen said:

I don’t know about the grandma and her attitude, but iirc, @sangtarah had to stand up to pressure from the parents who wanted to visit Sangtarah, from a place of high incidence and traveling through other places of high incidence and making other group visit(s) enroute. 

They seemed to be borderline emotionally abusive towards sangtarah for her wanting to keep things safer. 

I am most of all glad that @sangtarah has acted to keep herself and own nuclear family safe, and hope that that will continue.  I would worry that the more reckless family members may draw her in with more pressure, such as to go to FL to help them. 

That’s a bit harsh. They don’t share my judgment, but they are the most loving family ever. 

5 minutes ago, sangtarah said:

That’s a bit harsh. They don’t share my judgment, but they are the most loving family ever. 

That’s good!  I’m glad to hear that!

I’m so relieved for you!

It’s much better that I misunderstood, than that they were putting pressure on you or accusing you of being over-fearful!!!

• Like 1

She went and got tested today. Still has a “miserable, pounding never stopping headache”. 

And my grandma has a slight cough, but “not enough to be alarming”. I guess/hope it could be unrelated. Parents are fine. 

😰😞😭😖

• Sad 5

4 hours ago, sangtarah said:

She went and got tested today. Still has a “miserable, pounding never stopping headache”. 

And my grandma has a slight cough, but “not enough to be alarming”. I guess/hope it could be unrelated. Parents are fine. 

😰😞😭😖

Glad she got tested.  

Hope your grandma will be okay.  

No result on her test yet. Her husband now has fever, body aches and shortness of breath. He led their church service last week 😭😰 knowing that she likely had COVID. I. Just. Can’t. Even. Process. That. 
My grandma still has cold symptoms. Parents seem okay still. But they were out doing errands today, and I was like WHY? Just 😭😖😰

Please pray for them. Keep them in your thoughts. I don’t know what I’ll do if I lose one of them! 

• Sad 13

7 minutes ago, sangtarah said:

No result on her test yet. Her husband now has fever, body aches and shortness of breath. He led their church service last week 😭😰 knowing that she likely had COVID. I. Just. Can’t. Even. Process. That. 
My grandma still has cold symptoms. Parents seem okay still. But they were out doing errands today, and I was like WHY? Just 😭😖😰

Please pray for them. Keep them in your thoughts. I don’t know what I’ll do if I lose one of them! 

Is the very first symptom a total loss of common sense? Maybe that would explain everything. Sigh. Praying for them. 

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, sangtarah said:

I would be so angry, I don't know what I would do.  That's horrific.  He LED WORSHIP AT CHURCH????    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sangtarah said:

Make sure they keep a close eye on your grandma. One of my positive patients yesterday thought he had a summer cold. Then again it could just be a cold. That’s the conundrum with this crazy thing! So many generic symptoms!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Sending some hugs and prayers 

Are they taking any of the vitamins that Pen has talked about?

I know she has D3, zinc, Calcium/magnesium and silver (colloidal and ionic) - that’s a new one for me.  Parents have multi-vitamins and D3 that I know of. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sangtarah said:

I know she has D3, zinc, Calcium/magnesium and silver (colloidal and ionic) - that’s a new one for me.  Parents have multi-vitamins and D3 that I know of. 

I am glad they are taking some vitamins.   Sending some good thoughts this morning 

10 hours ago, sangtarah said:

Just to be clear since this responded to a question about things I had mentioned—I did not ever mention silver! I have no reason to think that would help. I don’t use it.  

Can anyone point me information on kidneys??

My sis says her husband has fever, body aches, cough, and his kidneys hurt. She asked me for information on kidney and this disease. I suggested he see a doctor; she said they would like to try to wait until Monday if possible. 

15 minutes ago, Pen said:

Just to be clear since this responded to a question about things I had mentioned—I did not ever mention silver! I have no reason to think that would help. I don’t use it.  

Yes, sorry I didn’t specify. Silver was their idea. I don’t know what people use it for; I’ve never used it. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sangtarah said:

Can anyone point me information on kidneys??

My sis says her husband has fever, body aches, cough, and his kidneys hurt. She asked me for information on kidney and this disease. I suggested he see a doctor; she said they would like to try to wait until Monday if possible. 

Monday is a long ways away!  I know my DH hates the Dr, but in this situation I'd not be giving him a choice.  I have been known to tell other women with stubborn spouses that sometimes our husbands need us to not give them a choice when it comes to getting medical care.  The kidney pain would have me forcing mone to the ER.  

• Like 2

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-kidney-damage-caused-by-covid19

I would not wait with kidney pain. This article from John Hopkins points to kidney problems as a marker for a more serious form /case of COVID19. Possible reasons for why it can attack the kidneys are given. None are benign and none are “wait and see because this will clear up on its own “. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
fixed link
  • Like 5