Menu

Best cloth face masks you've purchased?

Acadie

Just put the sewing machine away, after it sat on the dining room table for two weeks. My total creative yield during that time? One mask that doesn't fit anyone in my house! Although I do have ambitions to pull out the machine again at some point, I'd like to buy a few types of cloth face masks for my family now. Would love to hear what's worked for others.

We have quilter's cotton surgical-type masks made by a neighbor, but they really gap at the sides so I'm interested in a more fitted style. Also dd14 apparently has a skinny face--she probably needs a smaller size than the rest of us. 

What are your faves?

I am very happy with my Happymasks.co mask.http://Happymask.co ? 

I am extremely unhappy with LA Apparel treatment of employees and problems with employees getting CV19–but I do like the masks themselves. I no longer feel good recommending them, but otoh, they seemed to fit easily to a variety of face shapes, and are rewashable in a machine on hot, which I like.   Maybe some other company makes similar, but treats employees better. 

I am now using the Happymask for risk situations (city errands, meeting with people), but putting two LA Apparel ones (to allow double layering) on around my neck when I go out (locally rural area, dog walk, mailbox, etc) not expecting encounters but just in case I need to pull it on.   

The Happymask only gets to have 50 handwashes, so I am trying to make it last, and it has earloops not back of head elastic, so I can’t let it hang for just in case

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

I love the prints of the cotton woven masks but find they're not very comfortable for long-term wear. My favorites have been the more stretchy ones. We've been very happy with both of these sellers:

Adult small 100 percent cotton face masks - we got the checkered, black, and marsala ones but it looks like they're out of most colors now.

Face masks in men's and women's sizes

I love the smaller size - most masks tend to ride up to my eyes. 

• Thanks 1

We have Happy Masks as well. It should last us a long time since we are pretty much sticking close to home. If it is a quick stop to pick up food or a quick errand with very little contact, we will still use our plain cloth masks.

I also have these on order for sports. https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/ua-sportsmask/pid1368010 These are reusable.

We have neck gaiters that we use that can be pulled up quickly when out for walks and things like that.

Edited by calbear
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much for all these options--with my oldest off to college in the fall and my 14 yo starting high school we all need a set of masks to rotate, and with the variety here I think we'll be able to find our favorites.

30 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

Do you know how these do with wearing glasses? 

They seem okay for me with glasses, but on another thread someone else was having troubles with glasses with it.  I suspect it depends a lot on size and type of glasses. Mine are metal framed and not enormous, hers were plastic framed and extended below mask top.   I can’t now recall who, but think it was recent on long thread. 

3 hours ago, mom31257 said:

Do you know how these do with wearing glasses? 

So my dd, who is better at fit and sewing than I am, says the key to winning with glasses is to get the height up enough that the mask tucks. There’s a wire or something bendy. I just got mine today and saw my mother’s before that. You can see dimensions on the website. On my ds (11.5 and lanky ) a small is barely enough vertically and just right for width. I haven’t tried mine on yet. I can report back later but I’m guessing dimensions will drive it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Those UA ones look awesome. I think my dh will really like those. It's hard to find a truly XL fit online, so hopefully these ship sooner than later. 

It is again confirmed that I have a giant face, as I apparently measure to an L/XL in this mask too.  Sigh. 

Has anyone actually used these? Can you actually work out hard in them and not get sweaty/nose drippy?  

I get free shipping if I get two (no one else here goes to a gym, so they'd both be for me).  Would I need two?  Maybe it makes sense, wash one, use the other one the next day? I kind of hate to order two of something if I don't know if I'll like it yet, but free shipping, lol.  I'm not ready to head back to the gym yet, but maybe by the time these ship...?   I do really miss going; I'd feel better if I had a mask that could work...

Edited by Matryoshka

2 hours ago, scbusf said:

I recently ordered some from Old Navy and I actually really like them.

The Old Navy ones are my favorites and one of my kids' favorites! They're triple-layered, super-soft ear elastic and fit my face great! And they ship ASAP too!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

It is again confirmed that I have a giant face, as I apparently measure to an L/XL in this mask too.  Sigh. 

Has anyone actually used these? Can you actually work out hard in them and not get sweaty/nose drippy?  

I get free shipping if I get two (no one else here goes to a gym, so they'd both be for me).  Would I need two?  Maybe it makes sense, wash one, use the other one the next day? I kind of hate to order two of something if I don't know if I'll like it yet, but free shipping, lol.  I'm not ready to head back to the gym yet, but maybe by the time these ship...?   I do really miss going; I'd feel better if I had a mask that could work...

They have their press release here with a video if you scroll down about how they developed it. There are people posting reviews already.

https://about.underarmour.com/news/2020/05/introducing-ua-sportsmask

Edited by calbear

21 hours ago, easypeasy said:

The Old Navy ones are my favorites and one of my kids' favorites! They're triple-layered, super-soft ear elastic and fit my face great! And they ship ASAP too!

And the price is amazing!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 11:25 AM, Eliana said:

We've really liked these from Vida - they have a replaceable filter, are lightweight & easy for my little guy to keep on even when being very active.

This looks good and seems to be in stock. Do you know what material the meltblown filter this mask uses is made of? Is it some kind of plastic fiber? Thanks.

22 hours ago, easypeasy said:

Do they seem tight across your mouth when you talk?  Or are they looser there, like the ones at the doctor's office?  

1 hour ago, klmama said:

Do they seem tight across your mouth when you talk?  Or are they looser there, like the ones at the doctor's office?  

not too tight on my face. The masks fit around really well, but when I first pull the pleats out (unfold them), I can "puff" the mask away from my mouth when I first "set it up."  And it stays in place very well. I honestly don't have to adjust these for my face at all. Very comfortable. The inner layer sticks to the other two layers, so you're not breathing it in when you try to talk or breathe. 

1 hour ago, klmama said:

The Old Navy website just says the adult masks are 3 1/2" high, but doesn't give the height once the pleats are unfolded.  How does the center measure once pleats are unfolded?  

Around 6.25" when measured completely unfolded. If you pull/stretch it a bit, it makes it to 6.5".

When measured as I wear it (where it's not unfolded completely flat against my face) - it's around 4.5"-5" wide.

Also - the ear elastic is SUPER SOFT. You can pull it slightly to stretch it if you need more ear wiggle room.

I usually pull them from the washer and stretch them out flat and lay them to dry.

hths! 🙂

1 hour ago, klmama said:

The Old Navy website just says the adult masks are 3 1/2" high, but doesn't give the height once the pleats are unfolded.  How does the center measure once pleats are unfolded?  

I have some, and just stretched them out to measure. The adult size is just about 6.5 inches from top to bottom at the center, and kid size is about 5.5, if you pull it all the way open.

I find them just a bit under-performing in terms of coverage, compared to other masks I have been wearing (mostly self-made), but for the price I am glad to have these extra masks on hand. They will do for when I need to leave my apartment briefly to grab my mail or take out the trash. 

We just got some Old Navy masks. Most of us like them, but they are a bit gappy on the sides for my daughter who has a small face/head. 

I had made masks but could not find nice soft elastic for ear loops, so made the kind that tie around the head. When (if?) my kids go back to college, they will want more easy on/off masks, and lots of them, so we ordered these.

They do not come out of the dryer looking nice, but are wrinkly. Of course cotton will do that. But my son is not going to care and he will be the primary wearer.

ETA:  And I have already lost one in the laundry.  How does this happen?

Edited by marbel

I like the Old Navy ones as well. I ordered adhesive nose pieces from Amazon that I put on them and I have two clip type things as well that dd and I use to make them not loose on the sides. I prefer to wear these most of the time.

If I’m somewhere I’m more worried about exposure, I have a Happy Mask. I like it but it doesn’t fit well for me and my face/glasses. 

44 minutes ago, marbel said:

We just got some Old Navy masks. Most of us like them, but they are a bit gappy on the sides for my daughter who has a small face/head. 

I had made masks but could not find nice soft elastic for ear loops, so made the kind that tie around the head. When (if?) my kids go back to college, they will want more easy on/off masks, and lots of them, so we ordered these.

They do not come out of the dryer looking nice, but are wrinkly. Of course cotton will do that. But my son is not going to care and he will be the primary wearer.

I have discovered masks work better if they don't go in the dryer. I put them in a lingerie bag and pull them out of the washer then hang to dry.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Joker said:

I like the Old Navy ones as well. I ordered adhesive nose pieces from Amazon that I put on them and I have two clip type things as well that dd and I use to make them not loose on the sides. I prefer to wear these most of the time.

If I’m somewhere I’m more worried about exposure, I have a Happy Mask. I like it but it doesn’t fit well for me and my face/glasses. 

Do you mind sharing links, if convenient?  I went to Amazon and whoa there are so  many.   Both the nose pieces and the clips to make the side fit better?  (I am not clear if the clip things for the sides are from Amazon or not.)

Thank you!

20 minutes ago, marbel said:

Do you mind sharing links, if convenient?  I went to Amazon and whoa there are so  many.   Both the nose pieces and the clips to make the side fit better?  (I am not clear if the clip things for the sides are from Amazon or not.)

Thank you!

A friend of mine bought these and recommended them to me.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0873CZ6G5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, marbel said:

Thank you!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0872ZMWPR?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

These are the nose pieces I ordered. I’ll have to figure out where I got my clips as I’m not seeing them on my Amazon orders.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Joker said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0872ZMWPR?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

These are the nose pieces I ordered. I’ll have to figure out where I got my clips as I’m not seeing them on my Amazon orders.

Thank you! Don't go on a quest for the clips.  maggie18 linked to some above;  not sure that is the sort you were talking about, for some reason I was picturing something different though I have no clue what that would be!