Menu

Want to talk weight loss?

IfIOnly

Day 1 down of getting back on track.

Doing intermittent fasting combined with calorie counting and low carb-ish. This is a good combo for me. I don't like to totally deprive myself of carbs! I'm thinking 16:8-18:6, 1200-1500, and 100-150 grams carbs. I try to stick to the lower ranges (smaller eating window regarding IF), but it's nice to have room if I want to indulge a bit and upper limits as well, so I don't indulge too much!  

I feel better today just from cutting my sugar and carbs intake. Less brain fog, clearer thinking. Last time I did intermittent fasting, I experienced a whole bunch of health benefits, so I'm hoping for the same again.

• Like 5

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am on day 1 of starting my exercising again since having a baby.  I need a bit more time before I get serious about food since for me that takes a bit more mental capacity to get control of.  The exercise plan for the first week is walk a mile twice a day and for a resistance band routine.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arctic Mama said:

I’ve done it before, it just is much harder now with all my health issues fighting any pound off.  

high five on your hard work as well!  We can do this, gazillion kids and all 😉

I've done it before too.  Not this much weight but still a significant amount.  Fighting health issues on top of losing weight is whole new territory for me as well.  One bit at a time.  The gazillions of kids are helping me.  They decided they wanted a huge garden this year.  So that has forced me to garden at least 30 minutes a day, which has been quite intense work.  Using a tiller is quite the workout!

• Like 3

I've never lost weight. Before kids I never had to. Now I have been overweight for over 10 yrs and I am in my mid-40s, so I don't even know if it's still possible....

@Arctic Mama - I wish my husband could do Wahl diet. He was diagnosed with MS last year and did improve his diet, but I don't see him doing Wahl ever 😞

• Like 1

I would like to lose 30-40 pounds, but it has been a struggle.

I never had weight issues until about five years ago. 

I haven't tried intermittent fasting, but I have been having a hard time giving up my bedtime meal.  (Yes, I eat the equivalent of a lunch before I go to bed.  I've done this ever since I was a teenager.)  On the nights that I don't eat before bed I have a really hard time sleeping.

I have no idea what kind of diet to try except to cut down on calories.  I think that I'm a carb addict.  Last year one of my strategies was to cut my carbs in half.  It worked for a little while, but I was hungry all of the time.  I also like chocolate a little bit too much.

I have health issues that I'm dealing with:  wheat allergy (strictly gluten free for 12 years) and anemia affect what I eat.

I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis which makes exercise very challenging.  I had just started into a Tai Chi class a few weeks before everything shut down.  It's not really great for weight loss, though.  My favorite cardio exercise is water aerobics, but even before the shut down I was unable to find a swimming pool that was warm enough.  I don't know if it's because of the anemia or something else, but I get really cold.

And, (and this is part of my food at bedtime issue) I have insomnia.  It seems to be hormone related, but it gets really, really hard.  A few nights ago I was awake until 6 a.m.  I am always awake until 1 or 2 and often until 4.

I think that I need to just start making an effort to eat larger helpings of healthy foods (salad, etc) so that I don't have as much room for junk food.

If anyone has any ideas for me, go ahead and throw them at me, but I'm mostly here for the accountability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junie said:

I haven't tried intermittent fasting, but I have been having a hard time giving up my bedtime meal.  (Yes, I eat the equivalent of a lunch before I go to bed.  I've done this ever since I was a teenager.)  On the nights that I don't eat before bed I have a really hard time sleeping.

I have no idea what kind of diet to try except to cut down on calories.  I think that I'm a carb addict.  Last year one of my strategies was to cut my carbs in half.  It worked for a little while, but I was hungry all of the time.  I also like chocolate a little bit too much.

I have health issues that I'm dealing with:  wheat allergy (strictly gluten free for 12 years) and anemia affect what I eat.

I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis which makes exercise very challenging.  I had just started into a Tai Chi class a few weeks before everything shut down.  It's not really great for weight loss, though.  My favorite cardio exercise is water aerobics, but even before the shut down I was unable to find a swimming pool that was warm enough.  I don't know if it's because of the anemia or something else, but I get really cold.

And, (and this is part of my food at bedtime issue) I have insomnia.  It seems to be hormone related, but it gets really, really hard.  A few nights ago I was awake until 6 a.m.  I am always awake until 1 or 2 and often until 4.

I think that I need to just start making an effort to eat larger helpings of healthy foods (salad, etc) so that I don't have as much room for junk food.

If anyone has any ideas for me, go ahead and throw them at me, but I'm mostly here for the accountability.

I'm sorry. We have a lot of similarities. Thin most my life, chronic health issues, food allergies, insomnia, most exercise (except walking for me) is too much. And, after not sleeping last night until I ate something, I remember I need a snack at least at night to sleep. Oh, yeah, that's why IF didn't work for me, and I HAD to quit even though I didn't want to because it worked. 🤦 But it made my insomnia worse. Argh.

I don't know if this will help, but I think reducing carbs and tracking calories is a great plan. ♥️ That's what I did today. I was able to fast until 1ish (probably would have been noon but it's the soonest I could get home), but that's only a 15 hour or so fast. That's okay. It's better than nothing!

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 1

I did my regular Saturday meet up for coffee and walk with my 2 closest friends today. Yes, we social distanced. We all need that girl and outside time.

I still have 200 calories to go (to hit 1200) but am not hungry. I must eat out of boredom and cravings because whenever I start eating less, I feel satisfied, not hunger. Weird. I do make sure to eat more fat and protein than I normally would. 🤷 

1 serving of unsweetened almond milk, plus 1 tsp herbal coffee substitute (40 Cal) x 2

4 oz chicken, spring salad mix, 2 tablespoon olive oil, 1 Tbsp ACV, 1 tablespoon honey, seasonings (442 Cal)

1/2 a serving of tortilla chips, 2 oranges for afternoon snack 

2 Del Taco steak carbon soft corn tacos minus the second tortillas (300 Cal)

A snack around 10 pm tonight and probably another herbal coffee

Edit: the Carby afternoon snacks are not ideal! But I was feeling my adrenals suffering from the low carb lunch and overcompensated. 

Edited by IfIOnly

1 hour ago, Junie said:

Unsolicited, but for a really long time 3 valerian root capsules plus 2 time release melatonin pills about an hour before bedtime, and sometimes two sublinguals when I wanted to fall asleep as well helped me. Not sure what you've tried.

• Thanks 1

1/2 cup of black beans plus herbal coffee is only 150 calories, and I'm full. I remember this now. Ugh.  Some more fat would be good. I'll add 10ish olives I guess.

Edit: 100 grams carbs today. I'm happy with that especially just being day 2!

Edited by IfIOnly

I am working on losing 60-80 pounds.  My first goal is to fit into a pair of nice hiking pants I have in my closet....but didn't buy and never wore....maybe a friend passed them down to me???

Anyway, I am down 8 pounds in 4 weeks.  I am doing DDPY 4-6 days a week and then walking/biking/hiking.  

I am also, sorta doing the old Weight Watchers points system...the one with the slider for fiber/calories/fats and exercise points.  It worked before and is flexible plus I already know how it works so it is free.

My original goal was 10 pounds a year.  I know that is small but I figured it was doable and if I could maintain it, I would reach my goal in 6-8 years.   Now I would like to do 20 this year.  I want to make sure that whatever I do is maintainable long term....

• Like 7

I lost 30 lbs on WW two years ago and maintained it until late last fall, when I gained about 5 lbs. I have gained another 5 lbs during quarantine. If I continue to the chart, things don't look good!

I really like how @Arctic Mama framed things about this being a good time to reset diet. Instead of viewing this as a hard time to eat healthily, as I've been doing, I can view this as an easy time to eat healthy because of the lack of pressure to eat with other people in a multitude of social situations.

I liked following WW (for me) because:

1. I could eat anything, just not all at once or in unlimited quantities
  2. I no longer felt guilty eating my favorite foods because I planned for them in advance
  3. Cravings went waaaaaay down so I was happy with less food and less fatty food
  4. I didn't feel like I thought about food all the time because eating wasn't a game but a healthy part of my day

I need to post this list for when I'm frustrated tracking!

My excuses about why I am not following WW right now:

1. Tracking takes too long (but really, it doesn't take much time and it brings freedom)
  2. Maybe I don't have an internet connection (but that isn't a problem right now)
  3. My recipes are too complicated (maybe I should make less complicated recipes for a bit, while I rebuild the habit, or enter recipes in the app that I want to make)
  4. I want to be flexible (I can be flexible, but maybe I should track before eating when I give myself flexibility)
  5. I am discouraged from not meeting with my whole WW group (but at least I can attend online, and you guys are here)
  6. It is hard (but really it isn't because I do one thing at a time, and with every habit I build, it gets easier; actually, I had a hard time stopping losing when I got to 30 lbs because the habits had become so second nature)

I think I'll print this out for my BuJo as encouragement!

Emily

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

I lost 30 lbs on WW two years ago and maintained it until late last fall, when I gained about 5 lbs. I have gained another 5 lbs during quarantine. If I continue to the chart, things don't look good!

I

I liked following WW (for me) because:

1. I could eat anything, just not all at once or in unlimited quantities
  2. I no longer felt guilty eating my favorite foods because I planned for them in advance
  3. Cravings went waaaaaay down so I was happy with less food and less fatty food
  4. I didn't feel like I thought about food all the time because eating wasn't a game but a healthy part of my day

I need to post this list for when I'm frustrated tracking!

My excuses about why I am not following WW right now:

1. Tracking takes too long (but really, it doesn't take much time and it brings freedom)
  2. Maybe I don't have an internet connection (but that isn't a problem right now)
  3. My recipes are too complicated (maybe I should make less complicated recipes for a bit, while I rebuild the habit, or enter recipes in the app that I want to make)
  4. I want to be flexible (I can be flexible, but maybe I should track before eating when I give myself flexibility)
  5. I am discouraged from not meeting with my whole WW group (but at least I can attend online, and you guys are here)
  6. It is hard (but really it isn't because I do one thing at a time, and with every habit I build, it gets easier; actually, I had a hard time stopping losing when I got to 30 lbs because the habits had become so second nature)

Have you looked at some of the older WW programs?  I like it because of your positives above.  I CAN eat anything I want.  I CAN stop at McDonalds (downsizing my meal and not often), I CAN drink my pop.  With the old plan, I don't cook any specific recipes.  I just try to limit portions, not too many carbs (like not a pasta and a bread or potatoes and bread at the same meal).  I already have a hard enough times making meals my now young adult kids with eat (they have special needs so can't really cook on their own).  I don't have time for special recipes, special ingredients, etc.

• Like 2

I need to lose 30-40 lbs. I have been gaining (at least a pound a week)  however, and I am not exactly sure what it can be attributed to. I used to be able to go “on diets” and lose weight, but now, for some reason, I just can’t seem to stick with anything. So, my alternative plan has been to try to make incremental changes in hopes of stopping the gain and starting to lose. A year ago I started yoga - 15 minute practice 3x/ week. I am now up to 30 minutes 3x/week and 15 minutes 2x/week. I am working towards 30 minutes a day. I have also started drinking 2-3 quarts of water daily.  I am now working toward replacing one meal a day 3x/week with a protein drink. I don’t have any habits that normally lead to weight gain - I don’t drink soda, don’t snack late night, I get plenty of sleep, rarely eat fast foods, my “desserts” are sugar free fudgecicles, and I’ve been trying to just grab a handful of almonds if I want an afternoon snack.

Has anyone been able to lose weight just by changing habits? Slowly? I’m not looking to even lose a pound a week. If I could stop gaining and even lose 1/2 pound a week I would be happy. Complete lifestyle changes don’t work for me. I can’t sustain them.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, SereneHome said:

I've never lost weight. Before kids I never had to. Now I have been overweight for over 10 yrs and I am in my mid-40s, so I don't even know if it's still possible....

It's totally not too late.  I've lost a bunch of weight twice.  Before kids I also never had to worry.  Pregnancy, unfortunately, packs it on for me so after kids I had a lot to lose, and it didn't 'just come off'.  I think my youngest was already school-aged when I decided that I couldn't blame the weight on pregnancy anymore!  I was probably early 40s?  Started some regular exercise (Pilates class 2x/week) and found a 'diet' that wasn't extreme and I thought could morph into long-term habits.  And that worked great, lost 30 lbs, over a while gained about 5 lbs of it back, but maintained there (just at the high end of 'normal' weight for my height) for a really long time.

Then my when my kids were in high school, I gained it all back.  Couldn't get to my Pilates classes because of time constraints, and it seemed all I did was sit in the car and drive them to school, activities, jobs...  And they all started disliking different things I cooked (all different things - nothing it seemed would be eaten by everyone) so I was making less healthy food.  When they went off to college I had to do it all again.  Started exercising again, which helped with tone and stamina, but I did not lose an ounce.  Finally last year added in the diet again (same one), and tried to also think up recipes that I would like long-term. (Fortunately dh, unlike the kids, will eat anything).  I've lost 40 lbs now - am at numbers I haven't seen since my 20's, and am probably in the best shape I ever have been.  And I'm 55.

The key is to figure out what works for you,  and make things habit.  A diet shouldn't just be a short term restriction, but something that long term can be relaxed and adapted into a way of eating you'll be happy with forever. For example, I'll never be vegan or do keto because I know those aren't things I could sustain or eliminate foods I enjoy.  But they can work great for other people with different bodies, metabolisms and food preferences.  And find exercise that you enjoy.  I started with 2x/week, now I'm up to an hour 5x/week.  Which has been super-super hard to maintain with my classes all cancelled - one of my ephiphanies before is that I just had to pay for classes, as all sorts of intentions of doing it at home just never happened.  But now that I've had the habit of that level of activity for over a year, I have been able to keep it up at home.  It's not as good for me (some people prefer working out at home, but not me), but I'm doing it.  And all the equipment I had bought to do things at home that had literally never been touched before are finally getting used, so... silver lining?

• Like 5

On 5/9/2020 at 10:08 AM, hjffkj said:

@IfIOnly cutting carbs always makes me feel amazing.  it is my biggest struggle right now because I'm having a hard time finding enough produce to replace the carbs. but my brain fog seems to be at an all time high so something has to give

Does coconut oil help with your brain fog? Not sure why, but it does serm to help me, esp eatly in the day, in my coffee.

• Like 1

Low carb and moderate exercise works for me.

I was not very "on the wagon" about it last fall or winter though. Add in multiple majorly high stress events/issues (and that was before CV!) and genetic predisposition,  now I have type 2 diabetes and no choice but to eat low carb.

I avoid most grain (small servings 2- 3x a werk) and all sweets. Moderate portions of starchy veggies. I don't measure or count carbs. 

No big time exercise and minimal impact bc of disc issues. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

It's totally not too late.  I've lost a bunch of weight twice.  Before kids I also never had to worry.  Pregnancy, unfortunately, packs it on for me so after kids I had a lot to lose, and it didn't 'just come off'.  I think my youngest was already school-aged when I decided that I couldn't blame the weight on pregnancy anymore!  I was probably early 40s?  Started some regular exercise (Pilates class 2x/week) and found a 'diet' that wasn't extreme and I thought could morph into long-term habits.  And that worked great, lost 30 lbs, over a while gained about 5 lbs of it back, but maintained there (just at the high end of 'normal' weight for my height) for a really long time.

Then my when my kids were in high school, I gained it all back.  Couldn't get to my Pilates classes because of time constraints, and it seemed all I did was sit in the car and drive them to school, activities, jobs...  And they all started disliking different things I cooked (all different things - nothing it seemed would be eaten by everyone) so I was making less healthy food.  When they went off to college I had to do it all again.  Started exercising again, which helped with tone and stamina, but I did not lose an ounce.  Finally last year added in the diet again (same one), and tried to also think up recipes that I would like long-term. (Fortunately dh, unlike the kids, will eat anything).  I've lost 40 lbs now - am at numbers I haven't seen since my 20's, and am probably in the best shape I ever have been.  And I'm 55.

The key is to figure out what works for you,  and make things habit.  A diet shouldn't just be a short term restriction, but something that long term can be relaxed and adapted into a way of eating you'll be happy with forever. For example, I'll never be vegan or do keto because I know those aren't things I could sustain or eliminate foods I enjoy.  But they can work great for other people with different bodies, metabolisms and food preferences.  And find exercise that you enjoy.  I started with 2x/week, now I'm up to an hour 5x/week.  Which has been super-super hard to maintain with my classes all cancelled - one of my ephiphanies before is that I just had to pay for classes, as all sorts of intentions of doing it at home just never happened.  But now that I've had the habit of that level of activity for over a year, I have been able to keep it up at home.  It's not as good for me (some people prefer working out at home, but not me), but I'm doing it.  And all the equipment I had bought to do things at home that had literally never been touched before are finally getting used, so... silver lining?

Thank you for giving me hope!! I DO need to figure out what works for me....both food and activity. I too can't do it at home - I just simply don't do it. I am going to start walking - at least that's something.

• Like 4

After my semester is done (In about 2 weeks) I am most certainly doing another round of whole 30. I’ve been eating like crap. My goal isn’t really weight loss at this point (ok, maybe 5 lb max). The real goal is maintaining my 40 lb of weight loss that was hard earned in 2019. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, myblessings4 said:

I have a weight watcher's question, and will tell why below.  I haven't done weight watchers in decades, and now need it to be totally low carb, not the old way I did it.  Is it possible to make it low carb?  Or do they have a low carb option?  

I never had to exercise or even eat well to stay at 97-100 pounds until I had worked for many years, drinking Dr. Pepper for the caffeine.  I gained about 40 pounds doing that.  Then I went through menopause (blaming it on that, anyway.  Lol!) and gained twenty more.  

Four years ago, at 49, I went low carb and started walking/jogging/light weights, etc, due to blood sugar issues.  I lost forty pounds in six months and kept it off until I dropped the exercise about a year and a half ago.  I gained ten pounds back.  I need to lose that ten again and have resumed exercise.  I still eat low carb, just to keep the blood sugar down.  But I need some food inspiration and since I did love weight watchers, was wondering if it's possible to use it low carb.  I'm talking no more than 20 carbs per meal or snack.  

Weight Watchers is what you make it. They have a "point" system that basically rewards foods for being high protein and low fat and carb. You can use points on high carb foods (chocolate chip cookies! sweet potatoes! etc) or on low carb, higher fat foods like avocado, oils, nuts, fatty meats, etc. Fresh fruits, veggies, lean meats, fat-free yogurt, etc are no-point on the plan I'm on. If you can't have fruit, you'd need to way up your intake of veggies to not feel hungry.

Emily

Hope you all had a happy Mother's Day! I didn't count calories today but did exercise self-control and went on a 3 mile walk with my family in a beautiful wildlife preserve filled varied and beautiful birds. I'm fairly certain I stayed below my 1500/special celebration guidline of sorts. I probably didn't get enough protein today. I do like tracking for that reason. Probably okay on fat. Another reason tracking is good. I definitely don't get enough fat otherwise. Even though I believe fat is good, I don't eat enough of, which may be why I'm so much more full and not snacky when eating a more balanced diet. My carb intake is not balanced with protein and fat normally. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Does coconut oil help with your brain fog? Not sure why, but it does serm to help me, esp eatly in the day, in my coffee.

I have SIBO and antifungals and antibacterials like unrefined coconut oil help reduce brain fog. That would be a great benefit if gut issues are at play. I don't know enough about coconut oil and what other brain fog underlying causes it could help with!

6 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

I have SIBO and antifungals and antibacterials like unrefined coconut oil help reduce brain fog.

Also inulin as a prebiotic. It's high in some foods like oatmeal and asparagus but also easy to get with simple fiber gummies. Make sure they say inulin obviously.

• Like 1

I wish you all the best of luck with your weight loss goals. I have something for anyone interested in trying something different for weight loss, https://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrition-calculator. This calculator takes into account your size, gender, age, activity level, goals, preferred diet, and macro ratios and gives you a simple plan to follow. It encourages focusing on more nutrient dense food but nothing is off limits. You approximate serving sizes based on finger, palm, and fist sizes- no specific measuring or calorie counting. I used this winter to drop a few pounds put on from fall busyness and it came off easily without feeling deprived. Following the macro rec's helped my energy stay up w/ great performance while exercising  and cravings at bay. Way back before kids I put on 30+ pounds from Depo and I used calorie counting, portion control, and whole foods to drop that weight slow and steadily, then after each pregnancy I had weight to loss, with the first I went back to calorie counting and such w/ the last  3 I was on a lower carb diet and took it off that way. I followed a Paleo diet for over a decade and went to a very strict auto-immune diet after being diagnosed with thyroid disease after my last baby. I felt better at first on the auto-immune paleo but it didn't work long term. It was too low carb and the carbs allowed didn't work the best for me. I finally decided to just give up Paleo and move whole foods. I used the macro counting this winter for help with a few pounds put on in the fall and staying in my maintenance zone. Generally, those few pounds are difficult to get rid of but it was much easier following the macro plan. I'm on it again right now as I inched up in my maintenance zone after hormonal wackyness this spring(gotta love perimenopausal hormonal roller coaster). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, soror said:

I wish you all the best of luck with your weight loss goals. I have something for anyone interested in trying something different for weight loss, https://www.precisionnutrition.com/nutrition-calculator. This calculator takes into account your size, gender, age, activity level, goals, preferred diet, and macro ratios and gives you a simple plan to follow. It encourages focusing on more nutrient dense food but nothing is off limits. You approximate serving sizes based on finger, palm, and fist sizes- no specific measuring or calorie counting. I used this winter to drop a few pounds put on from fall busyness and it came off easily without feeling deprived. Following the macro rec's helped my energy stay up w/ great performance while exercising  and cravings at bay. Way back before kids I put on 30+ pounds from Depo and I used calorie counting, portion control, and whole foods to drop that weight slow and steadily, then after each pregnancy I had weight to loss, with the first I went back to calorie counting and such w/ the last  3 I was on a lower carb diet and took it off that way. I followed a Paleo diet for over a decade and went to a very strict auto-immune diet after being diagnosed with thyroid disease after my last baby. I felt better at first on the auto-immune paleo but it didn't work long term. It was too low carb and the carbs allowed didn't work the best for me. I finally decided to just give up Paleo and move whole foods. I used the macro counting this winter for help with a few pounds put on in the fall and staying in my maintenance zone. Generally, those few pounds are difficult to get rid of but it was much easier following the macro plan. I'm on it again right now as I inched up in my maintenance zone after hormonal wackyness this spring(gotta love perimenopausal hormonal roller coaster). 

I like the 1/3 carb, protein, and fat food ratio the calculator defaults to (resettable though.) That's what I aim for when watching my diet, and it is a sweet spot for me at least. I've read some studies that show that over 1/3 carb (up to 40% of calories) intake affects genes that cause inflammation and contribute to the major lifestyle diseases, but the balance with proteins and fats had a lot of gene and cellular function benefits. It took just 6 days of a more balanced diet ( 1/3 carb, fat, protein intake in the study) to change the gene expression in volunteers in one study. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110919073845.htm

• Like 3

I need to lose about 40 pounds. 50 would be nice but 40 is probably more realistic at this point in my life. The past year and a half have been pretty stressful and I was in survival mode.  My physical health took a backseat to just keeping my head above water. The stress has taken quite a physical toll. I’ve gained about 20 pounds on top of the 20 extra I already had, I’m tired often, don’t usually sleep well or long enough, skin is in rough shape, and just generally feel run down a good amount of the time. I’m ready to start rebuilding my health, including dropping this weight. I need to go about it carefully though. I still get too tired easily. A few weeks ago I tried to jump back in to exercise and overhaul my diet but it was too much too soon and I ended up stressed out and exhausted. So now I’m ready to try again but slower. I’m thinking of starting with a 15 minute walk every day and drinking more water. Also, making healthier eating choices within the things I usually eat. I do karate too but since classes are canceled I’ve lost what stamina I had. I’d like to get back to practicing again but just keep the intensity lower for now. I’m hoping that I’ll be able to stick with some slow changes and that those changes will help me get back to both feeling healthy and a healthier weight. 

• Like 2

What worked for me was South Beach - that's basically how I eat each day. I got used to avoiding sugar, while having lots of healthy whole-food options. I had put on around 15 pounds and my cholesterol had always been high. SB guided me to choose lean protein, lots of non-starchy veg and - after the first couple of weeks - whole grains. I lost the weight and I now have excellent blood work. 18 months later I'm a couple of pounds above my lowest weight, but I am just adjusting my intake a little and the scale is moving down. FWIW I am post-menopausal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

What worked for me was South Beach - that's basically how I eat each day. I got used to avoiding sugar, while having lots of healthy whole-food options. I had put on around 15 pounds and my cholesterol had always been high. SB guided me to choose lean protein, lots of non-starchy veg and - after the first couple of weeks - whole grains. I lost the weight and I now have excellent blood work. 18 months later I'm a couple of pounds above my lowest weight, but I am just adjusting my intake a little and the scale is moving down. FWIW I am post-menopausal.

I didn't know you did South Beach, Laura!  That's the diet I've followed both times I've lost the bunch of weight.  It's not trendy anymore, but I have always thought it just made good sense - lower carb but not crazy keto deprivation, healthy fats but not too much, lean meats in moderation, legumes, low-glycemic fruits and veggies, whole grains in moderation - and no sugar. It's also a sensible and manageable long-term eating plan, at least for me.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

@Matryoshka -and everyone else - besides feeling like I will never loose the weight, I am almost 99% sure that my stomach will forever look 7 mo pregnant!  Any ideas, ladies?

Pilates, Pilates, Pilates. That's what finally flattened my stomach. Well, except for a bit of excess skin and pooch - I did have twins. But no more belly, and a strong core is a good thing to have.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Pilates, Pilates, Pilates. That's what finally flattened my stomach. Well, except for a bit of excess skin and pooch - I did have twins. But no more belly, and a strong core is a good thing to have.

When we lived in MD, I went to an amazing Pilates studio for a few months, then got pregnant and it was the end of it. I need to find Classical Pilates studio where I live...I don't like the "updated" versions.

• Like 1

Just now, SereneHome said:

When we lived in MD, I went to an amazing Pilates studio for a few months, then got pregnant and it was the end of it. I need to find Classical Pilates studio where I live...I don't like the "updated" versions.

I've always been to studios that use Stott Pilates - I don't know the differences...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I've always been to studios that use Stott Pilates - I don't know the differences...

There used to be a site that would show studios that use Romana Kryzanoswska's method. She studied directly under Joseph Pilates.  When Pilates became popular, there were a lot of videos and classes done that started incorporation all kinds of additional and different things. I want to find the "original" one. But now I can't find that website....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SereneHome said:

@Matryoshka -and everyone else - besides feeling like I will never loose the weight, I am almost 99% sure that my stomach will forever look 7 mo pregnant!  Any ideas, ladies?

Yoga worked for me. I've got a bit of squidge in the middle of my tummy, but the underlying muscles are there and the sides look strong.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 10:18 AM, fairfarmhand said:

Rather than losing 10 pounds this spring like I hoped, ive gained 5 since quarantine.

its a total lack of motivation.

maybe Mother’s Day is a good day to start.

this has me too.  I was going to try and lose 15-20lbs before my daughter's July wedding.  Instead, I've gained back the 5lbs I lost just before Christmas. It is SO much harder now that I'm in my mid 50s.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

I like the 1/3 carb, protein, and fat food ratio the calculator defaults to (resettable though.) That's what I aim for when watching my diet, and it is a sweet spot for me at least. I've read some studies that show that over 1/3 carb (up to 40% of calories) intake affects genes that cause inflammation and contribute to the major lifestyle diseases, but the balance with proteins and fats had a lot of gene and cellular function benefits. It took just 6 days of a more balanced diet ( 1/3 carb, fat, protein intake in the study) to change the gene expression in volunteers in one study. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/09/110919073845.htm

I never really paid much attention to my macros before but find that their default works really well for me, it is a pretty sweet spot. 

re: stomach-

I did Mummy Tummy after my last baby to heal the stomach muscles from diatasis and from there did yoga and bodyweight core work (and full body exercises like planks and push-ups that work the core). Keeping a health whole food balanced diet keeps the bloating at bay. My core is strong and I have a bit of definition in my abs, if I cared to drop my body fat lower I'd have more but it isn't worth it just for vanity.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SereneHome said:

My PT suggested doing this youtube video three times a week for six weeks. She said she never had a client for whom it didn't work. I've never been able to motivate myself, so I just started doing it last week, on the days I am not doing yoga.

bump room diastasis

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, PrincessMommy said:

this has me too.  I was going to try and lose 15-20lbs before my daughter's July wedding.  Instead, I've gained back the 5lbs I lost just before Christmas. It is SO much harder now that I'm in my mid 50s.  

It stinks, doesn't it? If I spend a few weeks eating just a bit more, I spend months losing that weight. 

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

It stinks, doesn't it? If I spend a few weeks eating just a bit more, I spend months losing that weight. 

Yes. Stinks. Not only that, but if I skip my work-outs my body feels sore. And if I do my work-outs my body may also feel sore. 😂  I'm not sure how to actually 'win' this race. I think it simply becomes a journey of ups and downs, and hopefully the ups outweigh the downs.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Yes. Stinks. Not only that, but if I skip my work-outs my body feels sore. And if I do my work-outs my body may also feel sore. 😂  I'm not sure how to actually 'win' this race. I think it simply becomes a journey of ups and downs, and hopefully the ups outweigh the downs.

I pick my sore based on how it makes me feel (mentally).  Sore joints from skipped workouts make me irritable; sore or even (lightly) pulled muscles from exercise are quite satisfying.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, wintermom said:

When I started committing to working out more often, I noticed that if I was a bit sore (not debilitated), the best thing for it was another workout.  Seems to get the blood flowing and the lactic acid out.  Of course it was much easier to push through that when I had scheduled classes at the gym.  But I'm actually less sore if I do more.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

I pick my sore based on how it makes me feel (mentally).  Sore joints from skipped workouts make me irritable; sore or even (lightly) pulled muscles from exercise are quite satisfying.

Very true! Then there's the sore muscles and/or joints from doing something 'silly' that my mind thought I could still do. That pain never makes me feel better mentally; it just makes me feel old. 😋  It's ok try things we used to be able to do, but I should remember to do these in small doses. Suddenly playing volleyball for an hour might feel fun initially, but I will need some rest to recover. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

When I started committing to working out more often, I noticed that if I was a bit sore (not debilitated), the best thing for it was another workout.  Seems to get the blood flowing and the lactic acid out.  Of course it was much easier to push through that when I had scheduled classes at the gym.  But I'm actually less sore if I do more.  

Yes, I've experienced that as well. It's quite surprising and amazing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Very true! Then there's the sore muscles and/or joints from doing something 'silly' that my mind thought I could still do. That pain never makes me feel better mentally; it just makes me feel old. 😋  It's ok try things we used to be able to do, but I should remember to do these in small doses. Suddenly playing volleyball for an hour might feel fun initially, but I will need some rest to recover. 

So true! I was really sore last week and wondered what I might have overdone in my workout - then I realized it was the gardening.  Lots of wielding a claw hoe thing and pulling out a decade's worth of entrenched weeds.  The good news is that all this working out seems to have at least trained my body to use the right muscles.  My lower back wasn't a twinge sore, it was my glutes that were complaining the most.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

My PT suggested doing this youtube video three times a week for six weeks. She said she never had a client for whom it didn't work. I've never been able to motivate myself, so I just started doing it last week, on the days I am not doing yoga.

bump room diastasis

26 minutes!!!!  O m g! 🙂

Interestingly enough I think some of the moves are Pilates moves and some yoga ones.

Do you use balls? I don't want to buy any new stuff