Menu

THATS why there is no toilet paper!!!

ktgrok

DH told me he read that the issue is that there are two supply chains. One is for commercial enterprises - so those giant rolls that fit public restroom dispensers, plus giant packages of wrapped thin stuff you see in office buildings. Then there is the supply that goes to grocery stores, etc for home use. 

People are not using more, and probably not hoarding that much more, but they ARE at home, so using way more of the supply for home use, and way LESS of the commercial supply. 

Which leads me to ask, how do I find some of that commerical supply?

• Like 9

TP is stocked here in fits and spurts.  The stores are limiting the amount people can buy at once.  We haven't had any trouble getting our hands on it but we have been schools closed (4 weeks) and then a stay home order (1.5 weeks preceded by stay home recommendation since early/mid March) so people haven't been able to overbuy since mid March.  

Edited by LucyStoner

44 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

People are not using more, and probably not hoarding that much more, but they ARE at home, so using way more of the supply for home use, and way LESS of the commercial supply. 

“Boss makes a dollar, while I make a dime, so that’s why I #%!& on company time.”

Side note, I should tell my kids that homeschoolers are salaried, not hourly, and all they are doing by math-pooping is prolonging their school day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Just this morning, a sign in front of a local janitorial supply store announced in BIG letters, that they had all the TP, paper towels, and garbage bags you need.

As to people being at home being precisely why TP has disappeared, I disagree:  it disappeared, and has not reappeared in my local stores, since a full week and a half before restaurants were closed - two and a half weeks before stay-at-home orders.  TP is at the top of every good prep-er list.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I posted about this in another thread, yeah. It also explains for me why we were fine and already had plenty. We are already all home all the time - homeschoolers and dh works from home. 

Agree.  I think all homeschoolers had a great head start in this.   For us other then our outside activities that are hard to do at home (dance), life isn't much different. 

• Like 1

I buy mine from Costco Business. That's how I have gotten around the issue. If you have a regular Costco membership, you can shop at the Business stores or have the Business deliver (if you have a business -- we do, which is how we get business deliveries.) I usually get two deliveries per week -- one from Instacart from the regular Costco warehouse inventory and one from Costco Business via their warehouse, which has a different inventory. That's my pro-tip on how to keep not only paper in supply, but all of your disinfecting needs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

DH told me he read that the issue is that there are two supply chains. One is for commercial enterprises - so those giant rolls that fit public restroom dispensers, plus giant packages of wrapped thin stuff you see in office buildings. Then there is the supply that goes to grocery stores, etc for home use. 

Which leads me to ask, how do I find some of that commerical supply?

Locally, a restaurant that is open for take out started selling commercial tp and a few other commercial products in demand.  You could call a few restaurants and see if they could start a similar service.

1 hour ago, LucyStoner said:

TP is stocked here in fits and spurts.  The stores are limiting the amount people can buy at once.  We haven't had any trouble getting our hands on it but we have been schools closed (4 weeks) and then a stay home order (1.5 weeks proceeded by stay home recommendation since early/mid March) so people haven't been able to overbuy since mid March.  

Same area.  And same experience.  I do best if I go right after the senior hours.  (Which technically I could attend because it's also for people who are immunocompromised, but I feel like since I do have a heavy duty mask that I should leave that spot for people who don't.) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

“Boss makes a dollar, while I make a dime, so that’s why I #%!& on company time.”

Side note, I should tell my kids that homeschoolers are salaried, not hourly, and all they are doing by math-pooping is prolonging their school day.

"Math-pooping" is my official new favorite word 😂😂😂

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Momto6inIN said:

"Math-pooping" is my official new favorite word 😂😂😂

I had to explain the must-go-right-now-might-take-awhile phenomenon to my DH. He had never heard of it & they wouldn't dare try it when he's teaching.

• Like 1

We haven't been able to find toilet paper for weeks and I was telling dh about this post. He started laughing and told me we were OK with toilet paper now because of this. On the way back from the grocery store he went by a dumpster behind a large department store that is closing. He said the dumpster was full of chairs and partitions and desks and it was so full that stuff was stacked next to the dumpster including a few of those huge commercial rolls of toilet paper. Yes, he stopped and grabbed them. He said now we a a CYA supply.😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

We haven't been able to find toilet paper for weeks and I was telling dh about this post. He started laughing and told me we were OK with toilet paper now because of this. On the way back from the grocery store he went by a dumpster behind a large department store that is closing. He said the dumpster was full of chairs and partitions and desks and it was so full that stuff was stacked next to the dumpster including a few of those huge commercial rolls of toilet paper. Yes, he stopped and grabbed them. He said now we a a CYA supply.😂

Oh my gosh, no way.   Glad you have some!

4 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

What has the world come to?   Dumpster diving for TP🤣

• Haha 4