Menu

Covid-19 Discussion, arguments (please be nice 👍 ) thread

Pen

1 hour ago, OKBud said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not postal service will be disrupted? 

I have several orders in at places with 10+ day projected shipping delays. 

I also have a GRIP of homeschool books I was about to post for sale on FB but I assume that's futile for the time being.

I would guess that if anything, mail might even pick up!  

• Like 1

Are you gals using food stockpiles now or are you still trying to shop for groceries? We have two apples and about a dozen blackberries left in the way of fresh fruit. We usually eat fresh fruit with every meal. We have some canned and dried fruit, but not all that much. There isn't a lot of canned and dried fruit that we like/eat. And, we didn't buy any frozen.

4 hours ago, OKBud said:

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether or not postal service will be disrupted? 

3 hours ago, J-rap said:

I would guess that if anything, mail might even pick up!  

Postal service won’t be stopped. However if the postal workers get quarantined, mail is just going to reach the recipient slower. My city has a police office quarantined, my bordering city has firefighters quarantined with some positive cases. I won’t be surprised if USPS locally has staff being quarantined.

22 hours ago, pitterpatter said:

Are you gals using food stockpiles now or are you still trying to shop for groceries? We have two apples and about a dozen blackberries left in the way of fresh fruit. We usually eat fresh fruit with every meal. We have some canned and dried fruit, but not all that much. There isn't a lot of canned and dried fruit that we like/eat. And, we didn't buy any frozen.

I'm not using my stockpiles yet because I think things are definitely going to get worse.  As of now, I still feel comfortable going to the grocery store nearby from time to time, although those trips are getting much less frequent.  Next week, I may not.   Of course, if it's something that will go bad, then I've been cooking it in meals (knowing it's probably more than we can eat) and freezing what's left for another time.  And there are things you can freeze that you don't think about (I don't mean "you" specifically!):  like milk and grated cheese.

• Like 4

This is me too. Even though I feel like we could probably go a month, including stockpiled food and what's in our pantry, with only minor discomfort (mostly due to lack of fresh fruit and what would end up as odd, unbalanced meals), I think this is going to go on for months. I regret not buying more. We're already running low of some things in our pantry and I just don't want to go out for more. And, it's obvious to me that Amazon and the big box stores are not going to be there for us like I was hoping in terms of getting products shipped.

8 hours ago, J-rap said:

I'm not using my stockpiles yet because I think things are definitely going to get worse.  As of now, I still feel comfortable going to the grocery store nearby from time to time, although those trips are getting much less frequent.  Next week, I may not.   Of course, if it's something that will go bad, then I've been cooking it in meals (knowing it's probably more than we can eat) and freezing what's left for another time.  And there are things you can freeze that you don't think about (I don't mean "you" specifically!):  like milk and grated cheese.

2 hours ago, pitterpatter said:

This is me too. Even though I feel like we could probably go a month, including stockpiled food and what's in our pantry, with only minor discomfort (mostly due to lack of fresh fruit and what would end up as odd, unbalanced meals), I think this is going to go on for months. I regret not buying more. We're already running low of some things in our pantry and I just don't want to go out for more. And, it's obvious to me that Amazon and the big box stores are not going to be there for us like I was hoping in terms of getting products shipped.

Same here. I did a few proactive things like buying a pasta extruder for my KitchenAid and bulk-buying some pasta flour. I also bought a bunch of tomato products (we use them in everything from enchiladas and posole to pasta dishes so this was important). No pre-made in stock, no problem. This seems like a great time to teach my kids how to make the foods and condiments they love from pantry staples.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

. I regret not buying more.

Me too.  I am kicking myself because I was just at the store a couple of days before panic buying hit and passed up buying extras of certain perishables (eggs, almond milk, bread) because I thought there was plenty of time.  I also didn't push DH and dd on the idea of shelf stable or powdered cow's milk when they said they weren't interested - I think they are now and it's too late.  

And then there are the things I didn't anticipate shortages of - like diet soda and some other nonperishables that I stocked up on but would have bought more. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Me too.  I am kicking myself because I was just at the store a couple of days before panic buying hit and passed up buying extras of certain perishables (eggs, almond milk, bread) because I thought there was plenty of time.  I also didn't push DH and dd on the idea of shelf stable or powdered cow's milk when they said they weren't interested - I think they are now and it's too late.  

And then there are the things I didn't anticipate shortages of - like diet soda and some other nonperishables that I stocked up on but would have bought more. 

You can buy shelf stable almond milk from here (this is where I buy my cashew and hazelnut milk - their products are excellent):

https://elmhurst1925.com

Or it is easy to make your own almond milk - assuming you can buy almonds, of course.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I did the same. I was trying not to add to the panic buying and bought only what we truly needed right then. (Although, I forgot a few things.) I'm not even sure panic buying is even the right phrase anymore. It doesn't seem prudent to make multiple trips to the stores anymore. I don't even want to go once a week. Buying double or triple what we usually buy to stay out the stores seems like the smart thing to do to me.

I also missed out on powdered milk. I really wanted powdered milk as a backup. (I can't drink nut milks due to migraine. And, they aren't always the best for cooking.) I tried buying it two weeks ago and it was already out everywhere.

We are rural, so I thought we would be ok with our couple of grocery stores in town, but I think people are coming from bigger cities and buying up all of our food and supplies. We have a fairly large grocery store that rivals those in larger cities but on a little smaller scale. It was well-stocked on Sunday, but it is decimated now.

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

Edited by pitterpatter
  • Sad 2

I have some reverse buyers regrets too.  And I’m struggling to fight the urge to over buy too.  Especially after those conversations with young adults I know. I feel like oh god I need to have enough to take care of my house and all these other houses bc it freaks me out to think I can’t help them.  

My freezer is mostly stocked for us for a couple weeks.  But I told dh today that part of me wants to find generators, another freezer, do we need guns? Never have before but what if? And geez. It would be nice to have a swing set bc we can’t even go to the park for the 3 and 8 yr old.  And I wish I’d bought a lot more rubbing alcohol and bleach. I only bought one each. What. The. Heck. Was I thinking to only buy ONE each?! And I didn’t even think to buy powdered milk. 

I’m an idiot.🤦‍♀️

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think there will always be some supplies at stores though.  I've heard that food companies are working hard to produce more things like cereal, soup, flour, and frozen foods.  So, maybe not our first choice of items, but something.  And local restaurants and bakeries around here are also working hard to make meals and bake bread that people will want, and are offering to deliver -- often for free.  I'd like to support places like that as much as possible, if we can.

• Like 2

I've having a hard time imagining that I would want to eat food prepared by someone else.

12 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I think there will always be some supplies at stores though.  I've heard that food companies are working hard to produce more things like cereal, soup, flour, and frozen foods.  So, maybe not our first choice of items, but something.  And local restaurants and bakeries around here are also working hard to make meals and bake bread that people will want, and are offering to deliver -- often for free.  I'd like to support places like that as much as possible, if we can.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

I've having a hard time imagining that I would want to eat food prepared by someone else.

This is the way I feel too. I’m not a big fan of eating at restaurants in normal circumstances, but now I really don’t find it appealing at all. 

• Like 2

I do like artisan breads. Before things get awful, I’m trying to order local pizzas n’such. We don’t have a wood fired pizza oven and am a sucker for Neapolitan pizza. I’m still not going out. Apparently, amazon is out of my preferred (boxed, not fancy) white wines but I can get a red, yay me! I expect the base to be shut down to non essential traffic but DH always offers to bring me whatever he can from the commissary so there’s that. There will be shipments and restocks. They just might be less frequent. I think, overall, we’ll have to get back to basics, fewer convenience foods, more scratch. I’m just holding out on using my stash until I have to. For those who aren’t big on scratch cooking/breads, there’s always YouTube!

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 3

On 3/17/2020 at 10:12 AM, happysmileylady said:

I am a deal stockpiler (what used to be called a couponer lol)

I am functioning as I normally would.  Use up the fresh stuff first, and continue to shop for the fresh stuff.  Use the stockpile as planned in order to maintain rotation and continue to stock up on the best deals as I can.  For example, just before everything went berserk, I stockpiled chicken nuggets.  I bought 15 5lb bags from Costco.  That's enough to last us till JUNE, using normal consumption.  And, I have kids with feeding issues (ASD related sensory things.)  So if this sort of thing lasts through May, I am still gonna need all those chicken nuggets IN May, should we actually get to a point where there are food disruptions.  I don't think there will be, but I still am not ignorant of the fact that it's possible.  

Also, something I mentioned in another thread....the main purpose that everyone was advised to stock up on supplies for was if they needed actual quarantine.  The idea is for people to NOT run out of their emergency supplies if/when they get sick and actually *need* to actually NOT LEAVE THEIR HOUSE for 2 solid weeks.  Right now, even in the most strict shelter in place locations, people can still leave for groceries and in order to maintain healthy diets and economic health of the area, I think people *should* shop for fresh stuff.  Not to mention, wasting all the fresh fruits and veggies that stores already have is an awful thing to do in times like this.  Go, buy it, use it up.  Save as much of your shelf stable and frozen stuff as you possibly can so that if you hit a situation where actually need to literally not walk out of your house for any reason....you have all the food and household goods needed to get you through till you are well again and can go buy necessities again.  

Agree

42 minutes ago, pitterpatter said:

I did the same. I was trying not to add to the panic buying and bought only what we truly needed right then. (Although, I forgot a few things.) I'm not even sure panic buying is even the right phrase anymore. It doesn't seem prudent to make multiple trips to the stores anymore. I don't even want to go once a week. Buying double or triple what we usually buy to stay out the stores seems like the smart thing to do to me.

I also missed out on powdered milk. I really wanted powdered milk as a backup. (I can't drink nut milks due to migraine. And, they aren't always the best for cooking.) I tried buying it two weeks ago and it was already out everywhere.

We are rural, so I thought we would be ok with our couple of grocery stores in town, but I think people are coming from bigger cities and buying up all of our food and supplies. We have a fairly large grocery store that rivals those in larger cities but on a little smaller scale. It was well-stocked on Sunday, but it is decimated now.

We are rural too.   I am really sorry people are buying out your stores.  Our rural store closed some time back, so we don’t have much choice other than drive to city or grow it ourselves.  (Even when in CSA to local farm I’ve often  had to pick up in city.) 

There’s a small commercial dairy not far away. Part of Organic Valley system.  

The cows are starting to switch out onto pasture. They are having calves.  (Very cute.) There is a while after calving when they give their milk to their calves. In not too long they will be back on milk machine systems providing milk for people. The milk tanker trucks will come and pick up the milk and it will go get turned into wet milk, powder milk, cheese, etc.   ... Because of run on foods, and hungry calf babies this probably is a very low powder milk production time of year, but I expect it will be back.

I am still going food shopping. Fresh milk was main reason I went in yesterday. Got other stuff too, but main goal was the milk. 

(I have to drive 18 miles past dairy to store to get milk that might have partly come from the nearby cows.  Such is life.) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danae said:

I almost bought a wood fired pizza oven for my birthday in November. Now I’m thinking I should have.

Home school project: build one.  ?

(if you have room and it’s safe that is) 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Danae said:

I almost bought a wood fired pizza oven for my birthday in November. Now I’m thinking I should have.

It is on my backyard remodel wish list. If this economic stimulus comes through, that’s where it will go.

Edited by Sneezyone

PS @pitterpatter I got extra milk not to run out so fast and mostly ultra pasteurized for longer best by dates. May I think on some cartons (was mix of lactose free and regular and different types) now that I think of it I should arrange them with earliest expirations front most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pitterpatter said:

I have a hard time imagining spending the extra money.  But then again, it was rare for us to do more than buy a couple Costco pizzas every other weekend.

15 minutes ago, Pen said:

What do you all think about the spring break party kids?

The packed beaches?

9 minutes ago, Pen said:

Say how now? 

Are the kids like “Marie Antoinette” saying that? Or ? 

I don’t think the spring break kids are saying it. But then again neither did Antoinette.

But just like Marie sitting oblivious eating well in her fine clothes and drinking fine wine while people right outside the gates are literally getting sick and dying - it surely does come off as a big middle finger to those peasants.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Pen said:

The packed beaches?

Poor. Home. Training.

I have one kiddo who is considering FL for college and I know this kiddo would be out there if allowed. That said, if I EVER, EVER caught wind of my kiddos doing something so careless, their ears would fall off from the blistering they’d receive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I ordered a bunch of emergency food and pet supplies in late Feb. I regret not buying more but I didn't want to be a hoarder. I only bought 1 extra large pack of TP- I could have gotten 10 and nobody would've cared back then! 

I really hope everyone has what they need by the end of the next week or 2 so that shopping can go back to normal and we can all schedule our pick ups and deliveries like normal again. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Paige said:

Hospitals packed with college students in 2 weeks and their parents in 3. 

Maybe the college students now partying should be sent to continue party/quarantine on an otherwise uninhabited island , where , to misquote a much quoted tweet “if they get Covid19, they get covid19”. 

Edited by Pen

On 3/15/2020 at 12:44 PM, Farrar said:

I think that's exactly what may have happened in Boston though. And in Ohio. We don't know for sure if we're not testing.

Why do you say Ohio? I just started reading this thread so hopefully I haven't missed something upthread...

3 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Why do you say Ohio? I just started reading this thread so hopefully I haven't missed something upthread...

Just because the state health department said that shocking thing several days about about having as many as 100,000 cases in the state that were untested. I don't think anywhere else has been that frank about it.

• Like 2

The college students make me furious. They make me angry with them... but honestly, I think it's systematic. When you're 21 and you're in college and you're surrounded by other people who think they're going to live forever, then of course it all seems absurd. Norms are defined by who you're around and I get that. But that's why it makes me angry at the state of Florida. NC literally blockaded the Outer Banks. Good for Gov. Cooper. He's saving lives. Florida, on the other hand. Sigh. This is why we need better leadership.

• Like 7

I never really understood college spring break to begin with.  Who are these people who have money for that kind of extravagance before they even get their first real job?  This year the foolishness we discuss is coronavirus, but other years it's other foolishness that makes no sense.  Are parents paying for their kids to go get drunk and act stupid?  Why?  And does this contribute to the "why should I care" attitude?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SKL said:

I never really understood college spring break to begin with.  Who are these people who have money for that kind of extravagance before they even get their first real job?  This year the foolishness we discuss is coronavirus, but other years it's other foolishness that makes no sense.  Are parents paying for their kids to go get drunk and act stupid?  Why?  And does this contribute to the "why should I care" attitude?

Even if the kids have paid for the break expenses themselves, I would assume many parents are enabling it .  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Just because the state health department said that shocking thing several days about about having as many as 100,000 cases in the state that were untested. I don't think anywhere else has been that frank about it.

The Ohio Director of Public Health, Dr. Amy Acton, MD, is a visionary who experienced homelessness growing up. She has the most extraordinary combination of credentials and heart and personal and professional experience.

Our last few public health directors in Ohio were not doctors. Despite the fact that I didn't vote for Governor Mike DeWine, I have to give him credit for insisting on finding an MD for the position, for hiring Dr. Acton and following her lead on coronavirus. One of the things she does incredibly well is communicating with the public in honest but nonthreatening ways. She also explicitly connects the dots on how prioritizing public health is in all of our political and economic interests. 

I think most of Ohio, regardless of political affiliation, has joined the Amy Acton Fan Club 🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

43 minutes ago, Acadie said:

The Ohio Director of Public Health, Dr. Amy Acton, MD, is a visionary who experienced homelessness growing up. She has the most extraordinary combination of credentials and heart and personal and professional experience.

Our last few public health directors in Ohio were not doctors. Despite the fact that I didn't vote for Governor Mike DeWine, I have to give him credit for insisting on finding an MD for the position, for hiring Dr. Acton and following her lead on coronavirus. One of the things she does incredibly well is communicating with the public in honest but nonthreatening ways. She also explicitly connects the dots on how prioritizing public health is in all of our political and economic interests. 

I think most of Ohio, regardless of political affiliation, has joined the Amy Acton Fan Club 🙂

As a fellow Ohioan, I'm also very grateful for Governor DeWine's and Amy Acton's leadership.

• Like 10

My step mother is mostly apolitical but she knows all these conservatives. When she was praising leadership she heard from Cuomo and some other Dem governors she happened to hear on the news her friends were nasty about it and I said, point them to Dewine, who is doing a very good job.

• Like 5

First world problems--

I don't like cleaning this much.

The house looks nice, and with a couple people coughing and one using inhalers more often I do feel like I'm doing...something.

But bleh. 

I prefer the days of mediocre housekeeping.

• Like 6

Well, they'd better live it up this year, I guess. Next year, their parents will be dead and their inheritances dried up from hospital and funeral bills. Not to mention their emotional support networks when their grandparents go too. I imagine guilt may set in too several years down the road when they wake up.

I do think that Florida should not have made it so easy for them to come. I think all beaches should have been closed for a couple of weeks. Many public beaches already are.

9 hours ago, Pen said:

The packed beaches?

• Like 2

Well, they'd better live it up this year, I guess. Next year, their parents will be dead and their inheritances dried up from hospital and funeral bills. Not to mention their emotional support networks when their grandparents go too. I imagine guilt may set in too several years down the road when they wake up.

I dunno.  🤷‍♀️ They could be expecting that insurance companies or taxpayers (not them yet) will foot the medical bills (and that may be so), and that funerals won’t be required (allowed) beyond minimal cremations, so expecting that they will have inheritances and since college will be closed they can continue the party.

sort of a legalized way to do away with of a good number of their elders 

I do think that Florida should not have made it so easy for them to come.

I agree.  

I think all beaches should have been closed for a couple of weeks. Many public beaches already are.

If I were an employer I would never want to hire any of the beach party people I could identify— but I guess there are probably plenty of employers who would.

If I were a university/college that isn’t closed or that opens back up for in person classes, like maybe @Lanny ‘s daughter’s university in NC?,  I would at least want the kids who returned to self quarantine for 14 days    But those beach party kids strike me as unlikely to self quarantine 

Well, one maybe positive thing, it looked like a lot of them were getting a good bit of sunshine on much of their skin surface for vitamin D — I hope that helps. 

As well as maybe UV light from sun to help disinfection

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pitterpatter said:

For now, I'm willing to risk this, because I think the risk is very small.  I'd feel comfortable ordering food from restaurants I know and trust.  I don't feel the risk is higher than any food you get, even packaged food at the grocery store.

ETA:  Plus, then I'm supporting local restaurants.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 2

My dh is a former Charter Communications employee. He just got off the phone with a friend who is still there and was telling me about this story:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/16/charter-coronavirus-work-home/

Ridiculous. His friend says that they have been told explicitly, "We are not a work-from-home company." Granted, their technicians must be on-site, but even their engineers, sales, and customer service people (whose jobs can be done 100% remotely) are being told to come into the office or use their one week of paid sick leave. No exceptions. Employees at two offices in our state have already been exposed and tested for COVID-19. None at his branch, thankfully. Yet.

• Sad 2

I think that shelter in place rules are especially needed for locales with cramped quarters where spread of virus between apartments could almost be like virus rapid spread on a cruise ship

At the same time, I was thinking about “shelter in place” and thinking I am glad not to have to do it in a studio apartment with window to an air shaft and brick wall view a few meters away. 

I think for places that have that sort of thing, good ways to get outdoors while still “distantiating” are needed. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

My parents live at the beach on the Atlantic side of Florida and I think beaches are still open there.   

honestly, it’s like the late teens & early 20’s are oblivious.  But so are the 65+.  The gap in between seems to be taking it seriously.  🤷🏻‍♀️

I have quite a few over 65 relatives.  Most are taking it very seriously.  

(Though I am trying to help educate one aunt / uncle set to take it even more seriously.)

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, J-rap said:

For now, I'm willing to risk this, because I think the risk is very small.  I'd feel comfortable ordering food from restaurants I know and trust.  I don't feel the risk is higher than any food you get, even packaged food at the grocery store.

ETA:  Plus, then I'm supporting local restaurants.

I’m good with it for the moment b/c we don’t have a lot of community spread in my area but that may change quickly. I’m trying to support local joints while I can and to avoid using my stash. I can and will make pizza at home tho.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pen said:

At the same time, I was thinking about “shelter in place” and thinking I am glad not to have to do it in a studio apartment with window to an air shaft and brick wall view a few meters away. 

I think for places that have that sort of thing, good ways to get outdoors while still “distantiating” are needed. 

We are allowed to go for strolls. Just need to practice social distancing. The weather is currently not great for hiking here but there is a creek path behind all the densely populated apartment buildings that is popular for strolls and people (cyclists, joggers, pedestrians) politely keep their distance most of the time even before COVID. 

CFC98B68-C809-485C-847F-AB56CFC543A6.jpeg

• Like 3

maybe these partying college idiots (some of them are using their student loans to pay for this - based on what my college kids have observed from fellow students in the past.) should be forced to watch Contagion and Outbreak.

though I think the timeline in Contagion is very compressed.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

maybe these partying college idiots (some of them are using their student loans to pay for this - based on what my college kids have observed from fellow students in the past.) should be forced to watch Contagion and Outbreak.

They should play Plague. The game is rather surreal.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

I'm not familiar with it.

https://www.ndemiccreations.com/en/22-plague-inc
“Can you infect the world? Plague Inc. is a unique mix of high strategy and terrifyingly realistic simulation with over 700 million games played!
Your pathogen has just infected 'Patient Zero'. Now you must bring about the end of human history by evolving a deadly, global Plague whilst adapting against everything humanity can do to defend itself.

Brilliantly executed with innovative gameplay and built from the ground up for the iPhone, iPad, Android & Windows Phone, Plague Inc. evolves the strategy genre and pushes mobile gaming (and you) to new levels. It’s You vs. the world - only the strongest can survive!”

• Like 2

So...I’ve been watching my friends on FB sloooowly change their perspectives.  This one is the most dramatic.  She’s 65 and has a decent amount of medical issues.  This tracks what she’s been saying from Saturday through to today: 

EDITED:  Just realized I should not quote her exactly...so I’lll summarize

Saturday:

She states she will NOT sequester herself.

Monday:

She states that she WILL break the rules of quarantine and went out to see some family members.

Thursday:

She rails against 20 and 30 year olds for not taking this seriously. She tells a story of friends she has in another country who went to be tested and discovered that the majority of people standing in line to be tested were in their 30s.  She chides parents for not telling their young people to stay home.  She tells everyone to stay in quarantine.  She lists the reasons why she is high risk and calls anyone who isn’t willing to stay home “entitled” and adds some guilt telling them that the bible says to take care of the widows (by staying home and not spreading diseases to them).

——

This is Garga again: quite the 180.  I’ve seen this play out a few times now.  Over the weekend I was pulling out my hair reading my FB people downplay this and toss the words “conspiracy” and “nonsense” and “I’ll go out if I want to” around.  But things started quieting by Monday and by now, I’m seeing some of those same people out there with the zeal of new converts calling people to stay home and distance themselves from each other.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2