Menu

Super bowl halftime show and culture

SKL

33 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

And this is why people are clutching their pearls. They are intimidated by this. It's also why others are discussing female empowerment.

I think it is really hard for some people to imagine that there are other women who really do revel in and like to celebrate their femininity and sexual appeal.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 4

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I think it is really hard for some people to imagine that there are other women who really do revel in and like to celebrate their femininity and sexual appeal.

I actually think it is fine, at the right time and place.  As entertainment for young kids?  Not in my culture.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

And you know that kinda bothers me more particularly when so many ice skaters are 15-17 years old. So the idea that it should be okay for women of any age, young or old to just walk around with their bodies seeming to be only covered by a little glitter really kinda bugs me. My dh doesn’t watch figure skating because it makes him feel weird to see that much implied skin on a 1. young teen 2. Woman who’s not his wife.

Whether it’s not actual skin showing is beside the point.

Maybe if we developed a more relaxed relationship with nudity, being scantily clad in glitter would lose its appeal.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

I think the "empowerment" perspective is that the women can dress however they want, and they WANT to dress in these costumes, not because men like them, but because they themselves like them. They dance sexily because they want to, because they are owning their sexuality and saying I embrace my sexuality and I like it and this is for me, and I will not be controlled by those who say I should be either ashamed of my body or ashamed of my enjoyment of my sexuality. There is no sense in this view of being sexual for a man, no sense that this is to gain a man's attention. There is also the POV in this that says men need to learn self control and I should be able to wear whatever I want without feeling some man is going to rape me or otherwise be abusive. 

This is the female empowerment angle I see. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, regentrude said:

Maybe if we developed a more relaxed relationship with nudity, being scantily clad in glitter would lose its appeal.

For teen girls? Hope not! Don’t think that’s a great idea to protect them from predators.

eta: I’m not communicating well. I’m not saying that those who do wear skimpy clothes are deserving or asking for being predated upon. But even if a predator doesn’t act upon his urges what goes on in his head can be fed by what is seen. And yeah I know that a sicko can enjoy a “modestly” clad body. I’m not saying this right...ugh.

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sneezyone said:

I don’t think it was intended to entertain young kids. The super bowl is primarily an adult event with people paying thousands to attend.

The Super Bowl is primarily a televised prime time show.  The millions watching on TV and seeing close-up shots are the ones they are mainly performing for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I’m much more conservative in public than either of the children I’ve raised who came out of the womb comfortable with nakedness. It’s all I could do not to shame them out of it. Apparently, I succeeded in keeping my hangups to myself. My baby sister was/is the same way.

Edited by Sneezyone

1 minute ago, fairfarmhand said:

For teen girls? Hope not! Don’t think that’s a great idea to protect them from predators.

Do you have any actual evidence that cultures with a more relaxed attitude towards nudity have a greater incidence of child predators? In my home country, community run nude pools and beaches exist, and this does not seem to create problems with child predators.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, SKL said:

The Super Bowl is primarily a televised prime time show.  The millions watching on TV and seeing close-up shots are the ones they are mainly performing for.

It starts at 7p EST on a Sunday night and lasts till 11. It’s not intended to be entertainment for school-age children.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, OKBud said:

It is not. 

But some people think that this feeling (which is not unaffected by cultural mores) is not the most important factor in evaluating cultural phenomena. 

It is clearly very hard for some of the women on this forum to see sexuality or overt displays of the female form as anything other than an invitation to rape/abuse/leer.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

It starts at 7p EST on a Sunday night and lasts till 11. It’s not intended to be entertainment for school-age children.

The game ended at 10ET which is 7PT.  The halftime show was about 8:20ET / 5:20PT.

I am pretty sure that everyone knows millions of children watch it every year.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 7

From what I've seen it has been a bit of hypocritical pearl clutching. If JLo and Shakira are so offensive you shouldn't watch the game at all with the outfits of the cheerleaders(and the lack of comments last year from the same people about Levine's show). I also take issue with supporting football in general considering the health implications of it. 

Besides the ethnic issue, I'm inclined to believe part of it the uproar is because they are older. 

• Like 4

Just now, SKL said:

The game ended at 10ET which is 7PT.

I am pretty sure that everyone knows millions of children watch it every year.

Perhaps. Mine were always in bed by then.  They usually ran through our gatherings to grab snacks and go play. They weren’t riveted by or terribly interested in (by design) the goings on.

1 minute ago, soror said:

Besides the ethnic issue, I'm inclined to believe part of it the uproar is because they are older.

The age thing is one of the reasons a lot of women are praising it.  Oh wow her butt is so great for being 50 years old.

My 53yo butt is not that different, but I can't imagine for one second that anyone would want to see it, let alone praise me for showing it.  😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

It is clearly very hard for some of the women on this forum to see sexuality or overt displays of the female form as anything other than an invitation to rape/abuse/leer.

Yes, it is ironic for the cries against the sexualization with the overtones of victim blaming. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SKL said:

The age thing is one of the reasons a lot of women are praising it.  Oh wow her butt is so great for being 50 years old.

My 53yo butt is not that different, but I can't imagine for one second that anyone would want to see it, let alone praise me for showing it.  😛

You never know. I just saw this today on HuffPost. https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e33188bc5b611ac94d1717 

One of the bravest things I ever did was a boudoir shoot for my DH. I have pics of him too so, yeah, not some subordinate thing. I love that I did it. I love that I can look at myself and see what he sees. I looked great! My sexuality is part of me too and, at that time especially, I felt very, very, confident in it.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, perkybunch said:

Yes!  I couldn't help but notice the male singers were fully dressed in shirts, long pants and overcoats.  As talented and powerful as JLo and Shakira are, I wish that they would show little girls that you don't have to look like you're naked to showcase your talent.  

I saw male performers wearing nothing but straps on top this year like some kind of bdsm stuff. Last year Adam Levine was half naked and I think I remember RHCP performing without a lot of clothing one year.

At any rate, I don't expect prairie dresses and folk music from the halftime show. I've never been a fan of women trying to sell empowerment via their sexuality but that's debatable I suppose.

I do find it disturbing that what looked to be preteen and young teen girls were on stage singwith pole dancing and twerking middle aged women. It all starts to look a little like grooming at that point. Have your adult show with crotch shots, men groping you, spanking you, pretend stripping, etc., but leave kids out of it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

There were school age children, girls, on the stage.

And some of us start the game at 3:30p.m. so half time is right about dinner.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, OKBud said:

This is almost laughably obtuse. 

We can all pretend the history of feminism doesn't exist, sure. We can do that. That is a choice we can make to sound good on the internet.

Nope, not pretending it doesn’t exist. Just saying that feminism means different things to different women. I don’t personally feel connected to early feminism/feminist thought.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

eta: I’m not communicating well. I’m not saying that those who do wear skimpy clothes are deserving or asking for being predated upon. But even if a predator doesn’t act upon his urges what goes on in his head can be fed by what is seen. And yeah I know that a sicko can enjoy a “modestly” clad body. I’m not saying this right...ugh.

But these aren't teen girls.  They're 43 and 50.  And, even for teen girls, I see a huge difference in wearing flesh colored, tight clothing, and glitter when one is  in a figure skating competition (fine; that's the socially accepted attire for that event) versus to the mall (inappropriate).  

I would not find that attire appropriate or style of dance appropriate for little kids.  But the little kids who were IN the show were not dancing in a sexually provocative way nor wearing revealing clothing.  

Like I said, it's not my style, but I wasn't appalled by it or anything.  

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Most super bowl performances are women these days. They appeal to both genders where men tend to dislike seeing other half naked men. I distinctly recall watching Prince perform in ass-less chaps and heels but maybe that was the grannies (pun intended). ETA: It was the VMAs.  Steven Tyler was usually shirtless too. Skintight body suits were practically de rigeur for male and female performers in the 70s. So, yeah, I don’t get it. The skirts my mom wore in the 70s would probably give people the vapors and they were considered respectable.

Yeah, no. I wore those skirts in the 70s and they were not considered respectable by our elders. They gave our parents the vapors. In high school we had a rule of skirts no shorter than 2 inches above the knee. One of the deans got her jollies running around with a ruler measuring skirts. Those whose skirts were as little as 1/2 too short got sent to the office to wait for a parent to bring something longer. I graduated high school in 1973 fwiw.

43 minutes ago, Terabith said:

It wasn't really my taste or style, but I thought they were covered decently.  I didn't like the camera angles, but I thought the dancing showed incredible athleticism and strength.  I thought they made important comments about children in cages and the way Puerto Rico is part of the US but has been neglected in recovery efforts from hurricanes and earthquakes.  I didn't think it was any more inappropriate than any other major performance.  

I loved that! We have a huge number of Puerto Rican "refugees" here in Central Florida who came here after Maria hit their island. There was already a large PR population in one area but it grew tremendously after the hurricane. One local newscaster has family in Puerto Rico and has been reporting on it quite a bit. And there are still people here to don't understand that Puerto Ricans are American citizens. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, EmseB said:

There were school age children, girls, on the stage.

And some of us start the game at 3:30p.m. so half time is right about dinner.

I still maintain that they are not and we’re not the intended audience. That’s like saying, they showed Friday the 13th in prime time and now my kids are traumatized! Prime time is literally maximum  adult eyeballs between 18-35.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lady Florida. said:

Yeah, no. I wore those skirts in the 70s and they were not considered respectable by our elders. They gave our parents the vapors. In high school we had a rule of skirts no shorter than 2 inches above the knee. One of the deans got her jollies running around with a ruler measuring skirts. Those whose skirts were as little as 1/2 too short got sent to the office to wait for a parent to bring something longer. I graduated high school in 1973 fwiw.

I loved that! We have a huge number of Puerto Rican "refugees" here in Central Florida who came here after Maria hit their island. There was already a large PR population in one area but it grew tremendously after the hurricane. One local newscaster has family in Puerto Rico and has been reporting on it quite a bit. And there are still people here to don't understand that Puerto Ricans are American citizens. 

Ha! My mom was in college and sewed them herself.

• Like 2

People keep mentioning Adam Levine's performance last year so I watched that as well. And while I'm not particularly offended by this year's performance I do not see the two as comparable at all. The man took his shirt off, nothing overly sexual about the performance. Was it done to get the specific reaction of women swooning over his body, yep. But it is different than a woman pole dancing for an audience. Had he been doing some sort of Chippendale dancing/stripping that would have been more comparable with most people's complaints this year. He did not draw attention to his genitals like j lol did.

Sadly, it is acceptable for men to go shirtless while it isn't for women. That has to do with societies' comfort level with public nudity. That is a different topic than overly suggestive dancing and clothing. But once again, I don't really think it was overly suggestive but i acknowledge other people do.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

You never know. I just saw this today on HuffPost. https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e33188bc5b611ac94d1717 

One of the bravest things I ever did was a boudoir shoot for my DH. I have pics of him too so, yeah, not some subordinate thing. I love that I did it. I love that I can look at myself and see what he sees. I looked great! My sexuality is part of me too and, at that time especially, I felt very, very, confident in it.

I think that's fantastic that you did that and that you shared it with your husband.  But I don't think it's helping women when we tell them that sharing their sexuality with millions of people because that's what makes money is "empowering."

• Like 4

Just now, Sneezyone said:

I still maintain that they are not and we’re not the intended audience. That’s like saying, they showed Friday the 13th in prime time and now my kids are traumatized! Prime time is literally maximum  adult eyeballs between 18-35.

I, of course, can send my kids elsewhere or not consume the superbowl. But to act as if millions of kids or families watching a major American sporting event on a major network channel at 5 p.m. is the equivalent of a horror movie seems deliberately obtuse. I don't think the NFL or the network is unaware of their audience.

And still: young girls on stage fully clothed singing along.

Also, look at the ads designed to inspire girls to become football players or astronauts or whatever. Advertisers know kids are watching.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Are you seriously unaware of the build-up to this being a family event?  "What food are you preparing for your family's Super Bowl party?"  Every year they sell "Super Bowl Subs" at church and the pastor mentions in the sermon how everyone's going to watch the super bowl.  And we're in the ET time zone.  I watched the super bowl when I was a kid too.  It's an American family custom and I have trouble believing there are educated, intelligent Americans who don't know this.

In the years since I've had kids, I have generally only watched the end of the game each year.  (I work 7 days per week.)  This year I watched starting at halftime because my girls called me down to watch with them.  They were interested in the game because it was being talked about so much at school.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, DesertBlossom said:

I think that's fantastic that you did that and that you shared it with your husband.  But I don't think it's helping women when we tell them that sharing their sexuality with millions of people because that's what makes money is "empowering."

If that’s what is being told to those women, I agree. I think, at 50, coming off a successful film, JLo had other options.

4 minutes ago, SKL said:

Are you seriously unaware of the build-up to this being a family event?  "What food are you preparing for your family's Super Bowl party?"  Every year they sell "Super Bowl Subs" at church and the pastor mentions in the sermon how everyone's going to watch the super bowl.  And we're in the ET time zone.  I watched the super bowl when I was a kid too.  It's an American family custom and I have trouble believing there are educated, intelligent Americans who don't know this.

In the years since I've had kids, I have generally only watched the end of the game each year.  (I work 7 days per week.)  This year I watched starting at halftime because my girls called me down to watch with them.  They were interested in the game because it was being talked about so much at school.

I don’t go to a church where the super bowl is a big deal, no.  My kid literally texted me to ask what the super bowl was on Sunday afternoon b/c her friend wanted her to stay and watch. I grew up with/around the game and it’s still not a big deal to us.

Edited by Sneezyone

53 minutes ago, SKL said:

I thought the costumes looked fine in general, except when they were purposely bending in ways to display the nether regions.

The show overall might have been a much bigger success if they hadn't decided to go to that extreme with the nether regions.  Was it worth it?  It depends on how you define "worth it."

But my post wasn't really about that.  I was asking whether Hispanic culture generally finds that kind of performance more family-friendly compared to how the average American sees it.  From the perspective of moms of kids watching.  I wasn't talking about the cultures of the performers.  And again, this was brought up by Hispanic mothers I know.

I can’t speak for “Hispanic culture” as a separate thing, but my take away is that Hispanic culture is unequivocally part of “American culture” and is just as appropriate in a Super Bowl halftime show as any of the other acts we’ve had in the past, from the cleanest to the raunchiest. Individual tolerance for poles and crotches may vary.

Personally, I dislike today’s skating, gymnastics, and cheer costumes/uniforms, and a lot of lifts gross me out. But I’m not too worried about my kids being traumatized by any of the above.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I, of course, can send my kids elsewhere or not consume the superbowl. But to act as if millions of kids or families watching a major American sporting event on a major network channel at 5 p.m. is the equivalent of a horror movie seems deliberately obtuse. I don't think the NFL or the network is unaware of their audience.

And still: young girls on stage fully clothed singing along.

Also, look at the ads designed to inspire girls to become football players or astronauts or whatever. Advertisers know kids are watching.

Again, if they’re there, I’d advertise to them too. That doesn’t make it a ‘kiddy event’.

Again, if they’re there, I’d advertise to them too. That doesn’t make it a ‘kiddy event’.

The super bowl, like every football game, is a production for a family audience.  (Nobody said "kiddy.")  Everybody knows this.

Are there other family productions that expect kids to leave in the middle so they can show non-family-friendly entertainment?

• Like 8

Hispanic is too big of a label.    I think it's typical for both female musicians and female celebrities from Columbia to be more sexualized.

I was a bit put off by Shakira, I just found it too much until I was reminded she's Columbian.  Then it made more sense.  JLo's performance seemed more like a costumed pole dancing workout class than a sexual show, at least to me.

I am a bit surprised by the pearl clutching.  I thought it was the best half time show I've seen, but my children weren't watching.

When I read one horrified instagram post (the one from the 10-item wardrobe person, Jennifer something, her mom is hispanic) to DH he said, "When was the super bowl half time show EVER appropriate?"

• Like 3

Okay. I'll just say in the circles of people I know there are a lot of young kids, say from age 8 or 9 on up, boys in particular, watching with dads. Superbowl parties are family events with all ages watching at various times. It is very much an event with kids participating in viewing in literally every single superbowl party I've ever been to. The NFL, the network, etc., are not ignorant of this even if it isn't common in your circles.

I agree the halftime show wasn't appropriate for kids though.

• Like 9

But again - I wasn't really talking about the fact that super bowl halftime has become R or X rated depending on the year.

I was asking if there are US ethnic subcultures that consider these shows actually G rated.  (From the perspective of the audience, not the performers.)

9 minutes ago, SKL said:

But again - I wasn't really talking about the fact that super bowl halftime has become R or X rated depending on the year.

I was asking if there are US ethnic subcultures that consider these shows actually G rated.  (From the perspective of the audience, not the performers.)

To answer your question. No. I don’t know anyone that considers these G rated. I also don’t know anyone whose kids watched the whole thing. At my CA friends’ party, the kids were in the bonus room watching something more to their taste. Do they even make G movies anymore, lol? I grew up watching Goonies and Revenge of the Nerds tho. My filter may have been damaged in the process.

Edited by Sneezyone

3 minutes ago, SKL said:

I don't know about ethnic enclaves but I can tell you that the closer you live to Miami the less people care about clothes.  In Alabama a Southern Baptist might not be encouraged to wear a bikini, but in South Florida I've been invited to a beach volleyball game hosted by a church where no one was wearing anything anyone's mother would approve of.

And I know if you have kids in dance you don't get so offended by costumes or gyrating.

And I know musicians have included "obscene" gyrations since Elvis, but no one gets offended by it when men do it any more.  Just women.

Whether things "should" be this way or whether halftime "should" be family friendly is another question entirely.

• Like 10

Disclaimer: I did not watch the Super Bowl game or the Halftime show.  My belief is that Shakira was raised in the Catholic church. She is from Barranquilla, Colombia and is a very talented woman. I believe Sunday was her 43rd birthday.  

Not having seen the show, I have no knowledge of what she did or did not do. However, having lived in a Tropical Valley for the past 25 years, I would agree with a response I read, upthread, about Latina women more apt to show cleavage. Also, there was that song from Puerto Rico that was so incredibly popular, 1 or 2 years ago, where there were some suggestive scenes in the video. 

IMO it is part of being from a Tropical area.  Also, I believe that a larger percentage of people in Latin America (I am including Brazil in this) are more comfortable with their bodies and sexuality than most people in, for example, the USA.

One can begin with a very recent (1 or 2 weeks ago?) news story about a woman who was nursing her baby in a restaurant in the USA.  Someone complained and then she was the villain, which was in violation of the laws in the state she was in, about nursing mothers.  And that brings up the memory, when DD was 6 months old, of my wife nursing her on a late night Delta Airlines flight from Atlanta to Las Vegas. Those 2 women were trying to be discreet, but offended other people who I suspect had never been parents.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Katy said:

I don't know about ethnic enclaves but I can tell you that the closer you live to Miami the less people care about clothes.  In Alabama a Southern Baptist might not be encouraged to wear a bikini, but in South Florida I've been invited to a beach volleyball game hosted by a church where no one was wearing anything anyone's mother would approve of.

And I know if you have kids in dance you don't get so offended by costumes or gyrating.

And I know musicians have included "obscene" gyrations since Elvis, but no one gets offended by it when men do it any more.  Just women.

Whether things "should" be this way or whether halftime "should" be family friendly is another question entirely.

OMG, yes!! My DD felt like a pariah in HI when she wasn’t wearing a bikini like her gymnast teammates. That level of coverage was totally unremarkable.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, SKL said:

Go to youtube and do a search of something like Rio Carnival, Samba schools parade, etc.    Some of the costumes and dance moves are similar to the Super Bowl performances being discussed here  , and you'll see plenty of children riding on the floats.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

There are NFL events in the town the Superbowl is the week leading up to the Superbowl advertised as family friendly. These events are specifically planned because of the influx of tourists in town to view the Superbowl. The NFL fully intends for football to be a family event because that is how they get lifelong viewers. The culture of the sport and it's viewers is such that the majority don't see anything not family friendly about the performances. If they did, they'd lose viewers and would change the performances to please the majority.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hjffkj said:

There are NFL events in the town the Superbowl is the week leading up to the Superbowl advertised as family friendly. These events are specifically planned because of the influx of tourists in town to view the Superbowl. The NFL fully intends for football to be a family event because that is how they get lifelong viewers. The culture of the sport and it's viewers is such that the majority don't see anything not family friendly about the performances. If they did, they'd lose viewers and would change the performances to please the majority.

I certainly agree with the bolded. I just don’t think there are nearly as many kids watching the actual game and halftime show as there are kids running in and out of rooms while their parents drink beer and eat snacks. I think their love for the game comes from the memories of spending time with friends and family and having fun, not watching Shakira.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

I certainly agree with the bolded. I just don’t think there are nearly as many kids watching the actual game and halftime show as there are kids running in and out of rooms while their parents drink beer and eat snacks. I think their love for the game comes from the memories of spending time with friends and family and having fun, not watching Shakira.

From my experience, they aren't watching much of the football game but they are certainly watching the halftime show. The performers, visuals, and music are things kids can and do relate with. I actually watched the show today on my phone and while my kids didn't watch it, three of them ran into the room because they heard the music and were curious. 2 stayed to dance to the music.

11 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

From my experience, they aren't watching much of the football game but they are certainly watching the halftime show. The performers, visuals, and music are things kids can and do relate with. I actually watched the show today on my phone and while my kids didn't watch it, three of them ran into the room because they heard the music and were curious. 2 stayed to dance to the music.

That’s pretty much what I’m describing. My dad was a die hard NFL fan and I can’t remember a single super bowl halftime show from my youth and the ones I remember from college were totally unrelated to the halftime shows.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Katy said:

I do.  I hate it when men do that thing where they grab their crotch.  It’s like a visceral reaction and I can’t stop my self from grimacing and turning away.  Guess I’m an old prude.  And not just that move.  I hate a lot of the moves of male dancers.  

42 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

To answer your question. No. I don’t know anyone that considers these G rated. I also don’t know anyone whose kids watched the whole thing. At my CA friends’ party, the kids were in the bonus room watching something more to their taste. Do they even make G movies anymore, lol? I grew up watching Goonies and Revenge of the Nerds tho. My filter may have been damaged in the process.

Maybe your filter really is different.  I’ve been wondering what’s going on with your responses compared to others.  There most certainly are G-rated movies out there. (Though I think you asked tongue in cheek.). And some kids are not ready for much beyond that for a long time.

My ds14 still doesn’t much like most movies because they’re just too much for him—too violent, too emotional, too whatever.  Sounds like your family isn’t the same way.  Sounds like you and your kids jumped straight into PG13 type of stuff.  That’s fine, but conversations like these are going to be confusing as we’re all coming at it from different places.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Garga said:

I do.  I hate it when men do that thing where they grab their crotch.  It’s like a visceral reaction and I can’t stop my self from grimacing and turning away.  Guess I’m an old prude.  And not just that move.  I hate a lot of the moves of male dancers.  

Maybe your filter really is different.  I’ve been wondering what’s going on with your responses compared to others.  There most certainly are G-rated movies out there. (Though I think you asked tongue in cheek.). And some kids are not ready for much beyond that for a long time.

My ds14 still doesn’t much like most movies because they’re just too much for him—too violent, too emotional, too whatever.  Sounds like your family isn’t the same way.  Sounds like you and your kids jumped straight into PG13 type of stuff.  That’s fine, but conversations like these are going to be confusing as we’re all coming at it from different places.  

Jump straight into PG 13, no. Do keep in mind that my kids don’t watch or participate in football and Frozen is a PG movie.

Edited by Sneezyone