Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

12 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Unfortunately, we can't avoid public transport.

I won't be booking into concerts and the like for a while, and I'm waiting to see how the land lies closer to Easter before booking flights interstate.

I agree that community spread isn't established yet here; I hope guidance is rapid and accurate if and when that happens.

I meant in SA when I said here.  I think NSW is not there yet but probably close.  We will see over the next couple of days.  

do you guys have access to good public space or forest or anything?  Finding someone you could hike or do some similar outdoor stuff with might be a low risk way to keep your ds mental health up while minimising risk.  

20 minutes ago, calbear said:

I just found out that they have cancelled CA state science olympiad that was scheduled for 4/4 at Cal Tech in Pasadena.

On a separate note, this was posted today in a moms group that I moderate written by a mom in the Seattle area:

A number of Seattle friends and acquaintances had COVID-19 in mid-February. One of them wrote an insightful post that shares some important info about what it feels like. I cut and paste it below.

I had Covid-19 and here is what the media and medical providers are getting wrong:

First how easily you can get it. I believe I caught it when attending a small house party at which no one was coughing, sneezing or otherwise displayed any symptoms of illness. It appears that 40% of the attendees of this party ended up sick. The media tells you to wash your hands and avoid anyone with symptoms. I did. There is no way to avoid catching this except avoiding all other humans. 40% of folks were all sick within 3 days of attending the party all with the same/similar symptoms including fever.

Second, the symptoms appear to be different depending on your age. Most of my friends who got it were in our late 40s to early 50s. For us it was headache, fever (for first 3 days consistently and then on and off after 3 days), severe body aches and joint pain, and severe fatigue. Some folks had diarrhea also. Once the fever is gone some were left with nasal congestion, sore throat. Only a very few of us had a mild itchy cough. Very few had chest tightness or other respiratory symptoms. Total duration of illness was 10-16 days on average. Younger folks seemed to recover much quicker and have much milder symptoms. The main issue is that without reporting a cough or trouble breathing many of us were refused testing. My doctor refused to see me entirely. I know I had it because someone I was in close contact with at the party tested positive and they had similar symptoms and similar time frame of illness and recovery.

I also truly believe the lack of testing is leading to folks believing that they just have a cold or something else going out into public and spreading it. And worse folks with no symptoms are also spreading it as in the case of a person attending a party or social gathering who has no symptoms.

These are my unanswered questions for the CDC (I’m not asking for any response here):
1. Can a person who was infected and recovered get it again?
2. Am I still infectious to others?
3. When will testing be available for anyone that wants it to insure they don’t spread it?

I know folks especially on the east coast are thinking that this can’t / won’t impact them. I hope it doesn’t but I believe that the CDC’s overall lack of early and pervasive testing damaged the public’s ability to avoid the illness here in Seattle. “Someone” doesn’t want the true numbers of Covid-19 cases reported and it will hurt everyone. All I know is that Seattle has been severely impacted and although I’m almost better now I would not wish this very uncomfortable illness on anyone.

I hope this information helps someone avoid getting sick and and/or push and get tested sooner rather than later so you know to isolate before it gets worse or to get medical care if you have respiratory distress. Hand washing doesn’t guarantee you won’t get sick, especially when folks without symptoms are contagious and could be standing right next to you in any given social situation. You more likely than not will not die, but do you want to risk spreading it to a loved one over 60 or someone with an immunity issue? Stay healthy folks!

So the person writing this was never tested, but claims one person who was sick tested positive so she knows what she had was Covid-19? It seems really strange for this person to categorically claim that the medical experts are all wrong about Covid-19 symptoms, and the symptoms are really just like flu, with almost no "chest tightness or respiratory symptoms," when the respiratory symptoms (that none of them had) are precisely what distinguishes Covid-19 from general cold/flu. Unless she and her friends actually tested positive, then it seems far more likely that they actually had some kind of cold or flu bug, not covid.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 8

In Italy most common initial symptoms in deceased and currently infected #COVID19 pat. (based on 155 that died 6 Mars and those 105 deceased up until 5th of Mars): Fever(86%),dyspnea(82%),cough50% and less common 5%diarrhea and coughing of blood(hemoptysis).

source was shared but is non-English 

https://www.ordinemedicilatina.it/segui-quotidianosanita-it-stampa-coronavirus-iss-febbre-e-affanno-sintomi-iniziali-piu-comuni-per-i-deceduti-positivi-al-virus-da-quotidianosanita-it-del-7-marzo-2020/

Edited by Ausmumof3

Just now, StellaM said:

We can walk in an outdoor space with low density of other walkers. 

It would help if we had to self-isolate (walking in that kind of environment with a mask is OK apparently).

That’s good.  Hopefully you can get access to masks if needed.  Sounds like steps are being taken to increase local production.  It’s good I think at this point to think it through and hope it’s not needed but have a plan in mind if it is.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Question re. voluntary reduction in social outings...

What's the optimal timing for dialling down non-essential travel/gathering? I'm thinking of ds more than I am of me - restricting his ability to get out and about too early will have dire impacts on his mental health, but on the other hand, if exposed and infected, he is most likely to share his germs with his dad or with me. It's a balancing act re risk. Suggestions?

Not sure what you should do, but can say what I am now doing and update if it changes. 

We are in PNW—

an area with presumptive community spread already

I have not restricted my son’s local social activities at all.  

I have requested that he take his vitamins — especially D3 and its friends.

And he has mostly been washing hands reliably, frequently showering when he gets home (rather than or in addition to, morning shower before going out), and at least changing clothes when he arrives home.   We need improvements in consistent sanitation and need a better plan for where his outside clothing /shoes go to not track Covid into house. 

There was no out international travel planned. So nothing of that to cancel.  And yes, I would have had him cancel, or else move out on his own or at least do a one month quarantine elsewhere if he chose to not cancel international travel. (He is legally an adult.) 

He is not doing track and field at present—that has been a significant source of illness and injury in past years.  Nor baseball.  I won’t encourage him to do these in spring, but also won’t restrict it.  (But hope he doesn’t sign up—if nothing else competitive sports tends to increase need to go to hospital for injury care and I’d prefer to be away from hospitals).  My son  is an ice skater and one would think rink with social closeness and cold might be big transmission place, but it has not seemed to be in past for other illnesses, so I am hoping that will also be true for cv19 — he recently got new skates, but hasn’t been skating since he got them.) 

I expect my son Will get Cv19, if not this spring, then likely come fall— but I am hoping not to get it myself until at least this summer when I think summer would help decrease severity of an infection.   No proof on that, just a gut feeling I have for myself based on prior personal experience.  In some ways I sort of hope I do get it with mild case, and become immune this summer, with full readiness to home quarantine in place, and while my son is off school for summer rather than next fall.  (I realize your seasons are the reverse of ours.)

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Farrar said:

Also, first cases here in DC and one appears to be community spread. And it was apparently all over CPAC so you can expect the first American politicians to have it soon, I think.

SFB canceled performances. I'm worried about my kid's ability to go to San Fran in June to dance.

I saw that yesterday and posted in dance parents and thought of your son.  Of all our kids that planning to go away this summer.   Hopefully they will refund our money if that happens. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Why self quarantine isn’t going to be an option soon

https://7news.com.au/news/wa/was-latest-coronavirus-patient-saw-waso-at-perth-concert-hall-while-infected-c-735240.amp?__twitter_impression=true

This woman attended a wa symphony orchestra concert with 1500 people after being tested for Covid19 and before receiving her results.  She tested positive.

1 hour ago, StellaM said:

And this, I have no sympathy for. 

Missing out on your subscription concert is a shame, but not a reason to go mingle with the public. 

That's selfish.

If authorities were given the power to override privacy regulations for anyone who does this sort of thing, potential Covid-19 patients might be more likely to stay home until they are certain of their status.

(Is that too mean?  It probably is.  I'm frustrated.)

Edited by DoraBora
  • Like 2

I was at that NASA overnight last night. 350 people, 80% of them kids. Dinner and breakfast were both self-serve buffet lines. I really could not believe it. On cruises when there has been illness, the food is served to you to try to avoid contamination of food and utensils. I was really shocked the space center staff wasn't serving. They had enough staff there, even if they weren't kitchen workers. There was a long line for the sanitizer before dinner (but not after touching all those tongs - my group washed before serving and before eating), and before breakfast there was very little sanitizing or handwashing happening. I was kind of floored. Even if you're not canceling an event like that, wouldn't you at least put that safeguard in place? No one was wiping down any of the activities everyone was touching/wearing either, which seemed like it would have been easy enough to do.

• Sad 6

@Stella I lived in New York City and had to take public transit for all travel.

I think if in that situation now, I would try for at least 4 pairs of washable gloves. Put a clean one on each trip, then put in plastic bag for washing (even soap and water wash in sink and hang up each day) or more if they don’t dry fast enough for 4 to work.  

I also might try for an easily removable outer coat, to cover and protect regular clothes underneath  (and a hat or scarf to cover hair), or similar garment that could maybe be sprayed down with some hydrogen peroxide spray each evening, even if not able to launder it completely.  

If still available I ordered a mask  that @YaelAldrich linked up thread and it is wonderful.  I have used masks a lot and it is most comfortable and good fit I have experienced.  Initially expensive, but since it takes refill filters instead of being a wear once and dispose, I expect less expensive over time than lots of disposable ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sk8ermaiden said:

I was at that NASA overnight last night. 350 people, 80% of them kids. Dinner and breakfast were both self-serve buffet lines. I really could not believe it. On cruises when there has been illness, the food is served to you to try to avoid contamination of food and utensils. I was really shocked the space center staff wasn't serving. They had enough staff there, even if they weren't kitchen workers. There was a long line for the sanitizer before dinner (but not after touching all those tongs - my group washed before serving and before eating), and before breakfast there was very little sanitizing or handwashing happening. I was kind of floored. Even if you're not canceling an event like that, wouldn't you at least put that safeguard in place? No one was wiping down any of the activities everyone was touching/wearing either, which seemed like it would have been easy enough to do.

I honestly think there are scores of people who just think ‘if I’m gonna get it, I’ll get it!’ And this could refer to *anything*...covid, influenza, stomach virus, etc. I would never have thought this, but there is a close family member of mine who has this mindset. They feel that since you could get “it” at Walmart or wherever, there’s no extra risk of being exposed to it in your own home even with a sick family member present.  As in, since I could pick up flu at the grocery store, I’m at no extra risk at having this person with flu sleeping in my house. 🤔😳Seriously! Obviously the logic is not there, I’m just saying that maybe this ‘logic’ is more widespread than I thought?? Like, if I can’t protect myself from breathing droplets of infected air walking through a store, why worry about touching tongs (or doorknobs or anything else)?? Anyway, that’s my theory on why things happen like you listed above. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I don't know. I feel like even just as bad as this Flu and Strep season has been, you wouldn't want 350 people touching the same tongs. 🤮 Add Co-Vid on top...The dishes were out on tables too, with nothing resembling a sneeze guard either, which I suspect was to make it easier for kids to serve themselves, since the real buffet is taller. I expect people in general to be dumb about stuff (especially since the general feeling here seems to be it's not that bad, it's just the media, etc.) But when you're the organizer who decides to hold an event like this as an epidemic is getting going in your city, I'd think you'd make a few changes so you could at least say you tried? I took some elderberry syrup and washed and washed and washed, and made my kid do the same, but I just can't get her to keep her hands off her face, so we'll see. I tried. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, StellaM said:

Question re. voluntary reduction in social outings...

What's the optimal timing for dialling down non-essential travel/gathering? I'm thinking of ds more than I am of me - restricting his ability to get out and about too early will have dire impacts on his mental health, but on the other hand, if exposed and infected, he is most likely to share his germs with his dad or with me. It's a balancing act re risk. Suggestions?

Optimal timing? I consider that passed. But I don’t think there’s any perfect answer now.

In my house, I’m restricting a lot because we have a target date before which I Can. Not. Have. People getting sick with any kind of sneezy cough stuff. After that date and with (hopefully) more info, we’ll take it event by event.

I have a teen who wants to have two friends over next weekend, before she has a new roommate here. I’m leaning toward allowing it, because she needs it, but heaven help me if she catches even a cold!!!

• Like 3

https://www.oregon.gov/oha/ERD/Pages/State-agencies-issue-COVID-19-guidance-Oregon-schools-universities.aspx

This came out today...essentially stating that Oregon will not (yet?) be closing schools or universities even when students are diagnosed with covid-19 because 1. it's already present in Oregon communities and 2. many Oregon students rely on school for "access to health care and food".

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Plum said:

@Stella 

That is similar to what the woman in the Costco picture was wearing. It was full length on her. Along with rubber gloves which I imagine can be soaked in disinfecting cleaner. 

The Beijing guy in quarantine said people in his apartment buildings hang their coats outside the apartments rather than wearing them in so maybe like an extra layer of protection.  Not sure how scientific it is though.

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/hillsboro-middle-school-student-among-new-coronavirus-cases-but-oregon-health-officials-warn-against-closing-schools.html

"A Hillsboro middle school student tested positive for the novel coronavirus on Saturday, but state public health officials said Sunday that closing schools, colleges and universities across Oregon should be the last resort."

"The school is being deep cleaned Sunday evening and will be open Monday.

The Oregon Health Authority and officials with the Oregon Department of Education on Sunday recommended against closing schools, noting that closing public schools disproportionately affects families struggling to make ends meet and has negative impacts to groups facing inequities."

““It's a question of when -- not if -- some California public schools will face closure because of COVID-19,'' Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a written statement. "School districts must prepare for these scenarios so that parents and children can plan for what would happen if their local school faced closure."

As of 10 a.m. Saturday morning, there were 88 confirmed COVID-19 cases statewide, according to the California Department of Public Health.”” https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/national-international/state-public-health-department-updates-coronavirus-guidelines-for-schools/2250139/

@mathnerd @Carol in CA

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

One interesting thing-DD gave her talk in Jan on her online classes. She's gotten several messages from professors who have been told to prepare to take their classes online to ask for advice 🙂 

• Like 17

@Ausmumof3 probably posted

“ROME: Italy's death toll and infections from the novel coronavirus soared on Sunday (Mar 8), overtaking South Korea as the country with the highest number of deaths and cases after China.

The death count in Italy nearly tripled from 133 to 366, and infections rose by a single-day record from 1,492 to 7,375.” https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/italy-covid-19-coronavirus-deaths-cases-highest-china-korea-12517000

• Sad 4

58 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The Beijing guy in quarantine said people in his apartment buildings hang their coats outside the apartments rather than wearing them in so maybe like an extra layer of protection.  Not sure how scientific it is though.

I think we have to make guesses. We may be wrong.  

I would guess that leaving an outer coat outside the home would decrease numbers of viruses entering the home.  I would guess that an illness from fewer numbers of viruses entering one’s body might be less severe than one from more numbers of virus entering one’s system.  And I would guess that that’s a precaution that makes sense.  

It seems like medical workers presumably with high numbers of virus encountered have gotten very sick even if presumably youn and healthy like Dr Li.  But perhaps it wasn’t to do with quantity.  Perhaps in hospital they encountered particularly virulent strains from people with severe cases.  Perhaps people with milder cases would tend to transmit relatively milder cases.  

But we don’t know for sure. 

I myself want to try to  keep what I can outside of my home.

And it is hard to do!  Especially with a kid coming and going from public school and teen social activities. 

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/03/hillsboro-middle-school-student-among-new-coronavirus-cases-but-oregon-health-officials-warn-against-closing-schools.html

"A Hillsboro middle school student tested positive for the novel coronavirus on Saturday, but state public health officials said Sunday that closing schools, colleges and universities across Oregon should be the last resort."

"The school is being deep cleaned Sunday evening and will be open Monday.

The Oregon Health Authority and officials with the Oregon Department of Education on Sunday recommended against closing schools, noting that closing public schools disproportionately affects families struggling to make ends meet and has negative impacts to groups facing inequities."

We do have a quite poor state, at least compared with Washington and California, a lot of on the edge students, a lot of homeless students and students with insufficient food.

Yet, I hope they are making the right decision for the longer term. 

• Like 1

We have church members, a couple in their late 80's-early 90's, who are quite distraught because they believe a cousin (also elderly) just died from Covid-19. He went with family members (kids and grandkids) on a trip to CA, including Disneyland, and several of them got sick. It's hard to know what the true details of the story are. The family is quarantined locally and supposedly has been tested, but I see nothing in the news to confirm this death in OR numbers. Maybe it was flu. But again, our church members believe he died (Friday or Saturday) of Covid-19. Getting frustrated that North America has "only" 400-some cases simply because almost no testing is going on.

For our family, I was not planning to make major changes to our routine until we had local cases. But I don't know how bad it will be by the time anyone admits there are local cases.

• Sad 6

3 new cases in Vic

2 from USA, 1 from Iran

1 visited Wine by Sam in Seymour and a cinema in Carlton

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-in-victoria-three-new-cases-two-travellers-from-usa-and-one-from-iran-c-736072.amp?__twitter_impression=true

edited to add 1 from USA returned from LA in case that’s relevant 

Edited by Ausmumof3

14 minutes ago, StellaM said:

Thanks Pen! 

I actually bought some disposable gloves at the shops the other day, but washable would be better. 

Will check out the mask. I have a bit of mask terror after using them in the ICU, but maybe I can get over it.

Another thought — maybe use outer shirt type clothes that button or zip, cardigan style front opening tops, not pull-overs— so that virus doesn’t go  up near face in process of taking the shirt off. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Pen said:

I think we have to make guesses. We may be wrong.  

I would guess that leaving an outer coat outside the home would decrease numbers of viruses entering the home.  I would guess that an illness from fewer numbers of viruses entering one’s body might be less severe than one from more numbers of virus entering one’s system.  And I would guess that that’s a precaution that makes sense.  

It might be habit. My parents would want us to change out of school clothes into home clothes and put the school clothes into the dirty laundry pail which already has some diluted bleach in it. Outerwear like windbreakers were sun or air out so that they don’t stink.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

We have church members, a couple in their late 80's-early 90's, who are quite distraught because they believe a cousin (also elderly) just died from Covid-19. He went with family members (kids and grandkids) on a trip to CA, including Disneyland, and several of them got sick. It's hard to know what the true details of the story are. The family is quarantined locally and supposedly has been tested, but I see nothing in the news to confirm this death in OR numbers. Maybe it was flu. But again, our church members believe he died (Friday or Saturday) of Covid-19. Getting frustrated that North America has "only" 400-some cases simply because almost no testing is going on.

For our family, I was not planning to make major changes to our routine until we had local cases. But I don't know how bad it will be by the time anyone admits there are local cases.

If you are west of Cascades, or maybe even in Cascades like Jefferson, I would assume local reports via your church may be correct and that you likely already have local cases.  I don’t think we are very frequently going to know from official sources that there has been a local case.  Not without something on scale of Kirkland Nursing home multiple deaths.  Afaik the first deaths there weren’t being immediately and publicly acknowledged. 

If you are east of Cascades ?  I dunno.  Umatilla, Bend, Klamath, etc., all may be starting to have significant numbers.  If not today then within days. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

It might be habit. My parents would want us to change out of school clothes into home clothes and put the school clothes into the dirty laundry pail which already has some diluted bleach in it. Outerwear like windbreakers were sun or air out so that they don’t stink.

I like the laundry pail with diluted bleach idea! 

4 minutes ago, OneThoughtMayHideAnother said:

Not sure of this has been mentioned, but running clothes through the dryer on high for 20-30 mins will kill most viruses. I have been doing it with my family's coats, jacket, etc any time we go somewhere with a lot of people (like the supermarket or after a visit to the doctor.) Some clothes will not do well in high temperatures, but we have had no issues with ours so far.

That’s a really good idea too.

At least for people with easy dryer access.  

33 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

3 new cases in Vic

2 from USA, 1 from Iran

1 visited Wine by Sam in Seymour and a cinema in Carlton

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/coronavirus-in-victoria-three-new-cases-two-travellers-from-usa-and-one-from-iran-c-736072.amp?__twitter_impression=true

edited to add 1 from USA returned from LA in case that’s relevant 

Getting cases from people coming into Australia from USA is another good indication that there are far more cases here than officially admitted to. 

I wish it would say where in USA the winery visit  guy had been.  It looks like Australia is still trying to be more helpful about giving locations for contract tracing.  

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

When I had a family member in isolation on the blood cancers unit, the staff all put on disposable gowns and gloves before entering whenever he was fighting any potentially contagious infection. They tossed it all in the pass through area before exiting into the hall. Otherwise they washed up/sanitized hands there before coming into the room, then again after the visit prior to exiting into the hall. Ditto for me, even had to stay gowned up/gloved while sleeping at night. 

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/10-new-virus-cases-in-Bay-Area-Santa-Clara-total-15115732.php
“Ten new coronavirus cases were reported Sunday in the Bay Area, five each in Contra Costa and Santa Clara counties.

Santa Clara County’s total number of patients increased to 37. That’s more than any other county in the state and the third-highest total in the country behind King County, Wash., and Westchester County, N.Y., both of which had reported 83 cases by Sunday night.

Public health officials in Santa Clara County did not immediately provide information about the new patients but said they are under investigation.

The additional cases brought the total for Contra Costa County to nine.

Four of the new patients have no travel history outside of the United States and have had no known contact with a person confirmed to have the virus. They are being treated at hospitals in the county.

Contra Costa’s fifth new patient, who had “close contact” with another person who had previously tested positive for the virus, is self-isolating at home under guidance of local health officials.”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

It's like Level 10 Putrid.  I find it on par with rotting rodents, meat found in the freezer when the freezer has broken down, and Especially Bad Skunk.  

It goes by Hing Powder in the local Indian stores.

Is that about the same level of putrid as durian? I believe that fruit is banned on a lot of public transportation in Asia due to the smell.

1 hour ago, Thatboyofmine said:

@Aura, are you the one who posted the ginger & honey recipe?  If so, is that something I can make and refrigerate for a couple of days at a time?  Thanks! 
(If not aura, anyone else know?) 

Yes, certainly! I wouldn't do more than 2 days at a time though.

The viral post I talked about where the DC woman couldn't get tested despite having traveled in Asia, having all the symptoms, and having had flu and so forth all ruled out, is verified in this WaPo story. It also talks about the uneven government response and the worldwide ramping up of various restrictions.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Pen said:

Another bad smelling spice that I have read people used to sometimes wear in a pouch around neck to ward off sickness is asafoetida. 

https://draxe.com/nutrition/asafoetida/

(about it generally not particularly its use to keep people at bay due to odor) 😁

Axe mentions blood pressure, asthma, irritable bowel, and blood sugar regulation as among things asafoetida can possibly help with. 

Not only is garlic useful for its antimicrobial powers, it is also good to include ginger, turmeric, black pepper, mint, coriander seeds, cumin seeds and asafetida in the diet for their disease fighting properties. Most cuisines from tropical and subtropical countries use these spices a lot because their atmosphere has too many viruses and bacteria in the natural habitat (typhoid, cholera etc). At my local Trader Joe's, there is no more garlic and ginger left (even the candied ginger is sold out) on the shelves since Wednesday which is funny because garlic is locally grown and is available in abundance all through the year. My local Costco is selling bags of organic turmeric this week because of the coronavirus epidemic. 

Asafoetida is used as a "finishing spice" in Indian food where a pinch is added to hot oil (or ghee) along with other spices to flavor the dish. Adding a small pinch adds flavor, while adding more than a pinch or two makes the dish totally unpalatable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

global Times:

Responding to a video which captured residents in #Wuhan yelling "it's all fake" from windows during a neighborhood inspection by #China's Vice Premier, the Ministry of Civil Affairs said, it seriously jeopardized the image the Party and the govt that requires rectification.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

global Times:

Responding to a video which captured residents in #Wuhan yelling "it's all fake" from windows during a neighborhood inspection by #China's Vice Premier, the Ministry of Civil Affairs said, it seriously jeopardized the image the Party and the govt that requires rectification.

This was such a strange thing because, as I understand it, they meant that the visit was fake, right? Like, they were saying the visit was staged and they weren't getting the support they should have, not that the virus was fake.

2 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Officially confirmed cases (and mostly Oregon refuses to test):

Demographic Information for Positive Cases

County Cases Percent
Douglas 1 7.1%
Jackson 2 14.3%
Klamath 1 7.1%
Marion 1 7.1%
Umatilla 1 7.1%
Washington 8 57.1%
Total 14 100%

8 minutes ago, Farrar said:

This was such a strange thing because, as I understand it, they meant that the visit was fake, right? Like, they were saying the visit was staged and they weren't getting the support they should have, not that the virus was fake.

Yes.  I think the visit was about how the community support was amazing and everyone in lockdown had everything they needed.  It’s not been stated as directly linked but China have launched a “gratitude education” program.  Because being grateful to president Xi will enhance well being.  
obviously I’m not on the ground to know the reality of the situation but being asked to be grateful for being locked in your house with limited access to supplies and everything seems a lot like gaslighting to me.

more on that

https://mobile.twitter.com/billbirtles/status/1236126350722793472

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 3

NyTimes:

Columbia University has canceled classes for Monday and Tuesday and will teach classes remotely for the rest of the week after a university member was quarantined after being exposed to the new coronavirus

apologies if that’s already been posted 

• Like 1

This from a BBC correspondent on whether or not to trust stats from China

“It’s fair to assume that #China’s official #coronavirus cases aren’t catching everyone (with patients not presenting at hospital etc) but a substantial new outbreak in a large city here would be hard to cover up. Patients/their families would comment. Medical staff would leak it.”

whether or not they’re accurate the general trend seems to be true 

• Like 2