Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/9/21171617/coronavirus-new-york-hand-sanitizer-crisis-shortage-cuomo-prison-inmates

“Faced with shortages of hand sanitizer amid the new coronavirus outbreak, New York state has decided to make its own. The hand sanitizer will be made by inmates at correctional facilities, said New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who announced the product’s development at a press conference on Monday. 

The inmates can make 100,000 gallons per week, according to Cuomo. As the coronavirus outbreak in the US has spread, hand sanitizer has been flying off the shelves, while price gouging has pushed prices sky-high.”

• Like 7

I have a friend in northern Virginia who spent the weekend in the hospital with fever, shortness of breath, and flu symptoms but a negative flu test.  The ER really wanted to test her for coronavirus, but because of no travel history, it "wasn't allowed."  She's stressed because she's an education student and is supposed to be working in schools but doesn't want to spread it.  She's really not sure what to do, and she was told that without a test, she wasn't allowed to stay home.  But the ER isn't allowed to test, even when they want to and are suspicious of coronavirus.  

• Sad 24

2 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I have a friend in northern Virginia who spent the weekend in the hospital with fever, shortness of breath, and flu symptoms but a negative flu test.  The ER really wanted to test her for coronavirus, but because of no travel history, it "wasn't allowed."  She's stressed because she's an education student and is supposed to be working in schools but doesn't want to spread it.  She's really not sure what to do, and she was told that without a test, she wasn't allowed to stay home.  But the ER isn't allowed to test, even when they want to and are suspicious of coronavirus.  

Can she contact the teacher's union?  They may have something to say about it.

Or the local news.  Angry parents might put a stop to that really quick.

ETA:  She's probably not a member of the union, but if she will be in the future they may take the call, and they may have quite a bit to say about exposing their members.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Katy said:

Can she contact the teacher's union?  They may have something to say about it.

Or the local news.  Angry parents might put a stop to that really quick.

ETA:  She's probably not a member of the union, but if she will be in the future they may take the call, and they may have quite a bit to say about exposing their members.

She doesn't want to be blackballed by school systems.  It's a no win situation.  

• Sad 3

Three DC schools closed for cleaning today after secondary exposure. 

I had to check the math on Pen's (I think it was Pen?) numbers on the mortality rate for Italy. Yeah, with latest numbers from the BBC, the current mortality rate for Italy stands at 4.9%, which is mind bogglingly high and yet I haven't seen it reported in those terms. I hope that means that they know they've undercounted the total cases and not that they're just... unsure?

This whole thing is a math emergency. Like, people who can't understand why it's totally different from the flu are suffering from a lack of math.

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, Farrar said:

I had to check the math on Pen's (I think it was Pen?) numbers on the mortality rate for Italy. Yeah, with latest numbers from the BBC, the current mortality rate for Italy stands at 4.9%, which is mind bogglingly high and yet I haven't seen it reported in those terms. I hope that means that they know they've undercounted the total cases and not that they're just... unsure?

This whole thing is a math emergency. Like, people who can't understand why it's totally different from the flu are suffering from a lack of math.

The other possibility is that it is that high, has always been that high, and China lied about it.  There were those air quality reports where the levels of sulfur in the air apparently indicated tens of thousands of bodies had been cremated.  I don't know if the science about that was correct, but that was the claim.

Also I believe Italy's also very high in terms of population skew, many people are older.

• Sad 5

5 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Can you imagine how high our relative mortality rate is going to be since we're only testing people who are already critically ill, or we're 110% sure have been personally sneezed on by someone with an already confirmed case?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Can you imagine how high our relative mortality rate is going to be since we're only testing people who are already critically ill, or we're 110% sure have been personally sneezed on by someone with an already confirmed case?

Exactly. The administration response/approach to testing is totally bass ackwards.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Katy said:

The other possibility is that it is that high, has always been that high, and China lied about it.  There were those air quality reports where the levels of sulfur in the air apparently indicated tens of thousands of bodies had been cremated.  I don't know if the science about that was correct, but that was the claim.

Also I believe Italy's also very high in terms of population skew, many people are older.

Looked it up.  22.75% of Italy's population is over 65.   US it's 15.81% over 65.  And for extra stats, in China it's only 11.9%

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Katy said:

China's population also skews older, though not as much (ETA: Matroyska checked it - it's a lot less, so I was kinda wrong). Yeah, it's possible. I'm going on the word of the WHO folks who went, studied, and said they don't think China's numbers in the official report are a lie. And that due to the fever hospitals, they don't think China has an iceberg of cases that are unreported.

Snopes says the sulphur cremations thing is bs and I'm sure that particular thing is false. I'm willing to believe China is hiding numbers (there are definitely a few dissidents who went missing during this deal)... but I also think there's no evidence of mass deaths that weren't reported. I think it's Occam's Razor... Italy's health system is worse (and less able to be funded quickly to treat people en masse) so more are dying or Italy isn't testing as comprehensively like with China's fever hospitals (that seems likely) or both. The WHO report suggested that the rate was probably more like 3.4% when there's not good treatment systems in place. This probably begins to validate that. Also Iran's rates.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 2

So I just took a minute to look up Princess cruises (owned by Carnival). They have 18 ships. They are offering a bunch of upcoming cruises (many on sale, go figure) this month and next to destinations including Seattle; Los Angeles; Rome and other cities in Italy; Paris and other cities in France; London and other cities in the UK; Busan and Jeju, S. Korea. Most cruises have stops that include at least 3 different countries.

This is like a hundred thousand potential customers.

This is after they've already canceled over 50 trips, mostly departing from ports in Asia. On all trips, starting just two days ago, people who show up with a fever or who admit to having flu symptoms will get a refund. They're warning people to bring an extra 14 days of prescriptions in the event of "unexpected travel delays and emergencies."

Has anybody really nailed down an incubation period? And there's no way to identify asymptomatic cases?  But sure, let's keep sailing. *facepalm*

Carnival's stock price has fallen 50% since Feb. 19.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

Exactly. The administration response/approach to testing is totally bass ackwards.

This administration doesn’t seem to understand that the market =//= the economy. Attempts to prop up the market (to no avail) by minimizing testing so the number of cases looks low will ultimately lead to a much wider and faster spread, more shutdowns of businesses and organizations, which will ultimately cause far more economic damage than a temporary blip in the stock market. Aggressive testing and contact tracing minimizes disruption by targeting only those exposed instead of entire businesses, communities, school districts, etc. This is such an own-goal it’s mind-boggling. 😡

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Corraleno said:

This administration doesn’t seem to understand that the market =//= the economy. Attempts to prop up the market (to no avail) by minimizing testing so the number of cases looks low will ultimately lead to a much wider and faster spread, more shutdowns of businesses and organizations, which will ultimately cause far more economic damage than a temporary blip in the stock market. Aggressive testing and contact tracing minimizes disruption by targeting only those exposed instead of entire businesses, communities, school districts, etc. This is such an own-goal it’s mind-boggling. 😡

Yes. This. It's not a problem they can just hide.

• Like 5

My county has 37 confirmed cases--largest amount in the area.  And we have now had the first death of someone with community transmission.  #stuffsgettingreal

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/santa-clara-county-reports-first-coronavirus-death/2250831/?_osource=SocialFlowFB_BAYBrand&fbclid=IwAR354RJYa-O_uopSPYDhJeLxlBdcaknLlaHRT1NnGnaGXM27G-P3JqjM8sw

• Sad 7

Pen, if you're referring to Muslim neighborhoods within either Israel's internationally recognized borders (e.g., Jaffa)  and/or what Israel considers to be Israel (e.g., East Jerusalem), then AFAIK the quarantine restrictions would apply no differently than to anyone coming back to any other neighborhood in Israel.  

If you're talking about the West Bank and Gaza, the governance situation is complicated (understatement).  Essentially, some of the West Bank is under full Israeli control, some is under full Palestinian control, and some of it is under Palestinian civil but Israeli military control.  So far the growing outbreak of coronavirus in he West Bank has been in Bethlehem, which is controlled by the Palestinian Authority and from what I have read, the PA has essentially locked down the city.    With respect to getting in from abroad, I believe Palestinian residents of the West Bank usually fly in and out of Jordan (because they cannot enter Israel).  I don't know what sort of quarantine restrictions Jordan has in place, but the Palestinian prime minister just floated the possibility of closing the border with Jordan to contain the spread of the virus, so that avenue may be closed soon.  

The Gaza strip is controlled by Hamas and travel in and out is sharply restricted by Israel (and Hamas).  There have not yet been any reported cases of coronavirus but Hamas has declared a state of emergency, closed all the schools, and put travelers in quarantine.  Conditions in Gaza are horrendous and everyone agrees that an outbreak there would be an unmitigated catastrophe.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

Someone mentioned the vitamin C treatments that are going on in China. They're using IV vitamin C in a clinical study to try to prevent sepsis and remove alveolar fluid. (Some Covid patients are developing sepsis.)  Results will be released in September 2020.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04264533

Statistics of the 41 patients with SARI published in JAMA initially showed that 13 patients were transferred into the ICU, of which 11 (85%) had ARDS and 3 (23%) had shock. Of these, 10 (77%) required mechanical ventilation support, and 2 (15%) required ECMO support. Of the above 13 patients, 5 (38%) eventually died and 7 (38%) were transferred out of the ICU. Viral pneumonia is a dangerous condition with a poor clinical prognosis. For most viral infections, there is a lack of effective targeted antiviral drugs, and symptomatic supportive treatment is still the current main treatment.

Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, has antioxidant properties. When sepsis happens, the cytokine surge caused by sepsis is activated, and neutrophils in the lungs accumulate in the lungs, destroying alveolar capillaries. Early clinical studies have shown that vitamin C can effectively prevent this process. In addition, vitamin C can help to eliminate alveolar fluid by preventing the activation and accumulation of neutrophils, and reducing alveolar epithelial water channel damage. At the same time, vitamin C can prevent the formation of neutrophil extracellular traps, which is a biological event of vascular injury caused by neutrophil activation.

Additionally, in two recent clinical trials in the US, intravenous Vitamin C, thiamine (B1) and corticosteroids have also shown promise in preventing septic shock.

https://journal.chestnet.org/article/S0012-3692(16)62564-3/fulltext

Our results suggest that the early use of intravenous vitamin C, together with corticosteroids and thiamine, are effective in preventing progressive organ dysfunction, including acute kidney injury, and in reducing the mortality of patients with severe sepsis and septic shock. Additional studies are required to confirm these preliminary findings.

I can't find a free version of this study but this article is from Lurie's Children's Hospital in Chicago where the same treatment was used on children, also with pretty good results.

https://www.luriechildrens.org/en/news-stories/vitamin-c-b1-steroid-combo-linked-to-lower-septic-shock-mortality-in-kids/

“We were surprised and excited to see a substantial reduction in mortality after treating septic shock in children with a high dose of vitamin C combined with vitamin B1 and hydrocortisone,” says lead author Eric Wald, MD, MSCI, Critical Carephysician at Lurie Children’s and Associate Professor of Pediatrics at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. “While based on a retrospective analysis, our results are especially compelling in that they are very similar to the positive outcomes found in a recent randomized controlled trial of vitamin C treatment for septic shock in adults.”

Basically they're trying to prevent or control the destructive cytokine storm that some patients are developing. (Cytokine storm is a hyper immune response that kills a large number of healthy cells along with pathogens. It is believed to be caused by certain genetic mutations in 10 or so proteins that influence the perforin pathway. Some people, possibly 10-15%, have one or more of these genetic mutations and that is what is believed to be causing them to develop cytokine storm. Here's a short article explaining cytokine storm from the MD who wrote the first US text about it.) 

This doesn't mean that "vitamin C is the answer" but it might help. A cheap(er) treatment could help people in poor countries especially.

China also finally received the CytoSorb devices that use tiny beads that "catch" the excess cytokines as blood filters through. CytoSorb is used in 58 or so countries, including most of the EU, but not yet in the US unless it gets fast tracked, which I'm guessing it will (I hope).

http://cytosorbents.mediaroom.com/2020-02-28-CytoSorb-Shipment-Arrives-in-Designated-Mainland-China-Hospitals-to-Treat-Cytokine-Storm-in-Critically-ill-Patients-with-COVID-19-Coronavirus-Infection

https://cytosorbents.com/products/cyto-sorb/

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

China also finally received the CytoSorb devices that use tiny beads that "catch" the excess cytokines as blood filters through. CytoSorb is used in 58 or so countries, including most of the EU, but not yet in the US unless it gets fast tracked, which I'm guessing it will (I hope).

http://cytosorbents.mediaroom.com/2020-02-28-CytoSorb-Shipment-Arrives-in-Designated-Mainland-China-Hospitals-to-Treat-Cytokine-Storm-in-Critically-ill-Patients-with-COVID-19-Coronavirus-Infection

https://cytosorbents.com/products/cyto-sorb/

Yeah, I'll believe the bolded when the US fast-tracks the test that has been used by all the other countries to successfully test millions worldwide for months already, while we wait  (latest estimates I've heard is more weeks or even months)... #gettingcynical ... 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Is she with it enough to do voice controls for her phone?  You can put a tracfone chip into an iPhone.

She said ok to trying again.  I ordered phone to come to me, will set it up and get it working, then send it to her.  🤞🏼 

I myself haven’t as yet entirely figured out voice controls, though do often dictate, Instead of type,   but will try to figure it out . 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

I just got an automated call from my city health department notifying us that the first cases (3) have been confirmed in our state.

I think we're in the same state. Governor declared a public emergency.

This may convince dh, who has asthma, to skip an optional event tonight with 300 people. I'd already decided not to go.

• Like 2

UCB @8FillTheHeart

https://news.berkeley.edu/2020/03/09/as-coronavirus-spreads-uc-berkeley-suspends-in-person-instruction/

“These changes are effective starting Tuesday, March 10, and will remain in place through Spring Break, which ends March 29. A decision on what will happen on March 30 and beyond will occur at a later date, based on the latest coronavirus information at that time.

Instruction

• Beginning Tuesday, March 10, we will be suspending most in-person classes and will be offering ALL lecture courses (including discussion sections), seminar instruction and examination through alternative modalities (e.g., Zoom, course capture, etc.) through Spring Break.
  • Instructors who do not have remote learning processes in place by March 10 will be given a two-day period (March 10 and 11) during which they may cancel classes, to allow them time to establish such processes and to ready their course(s) for resumption online by Thursday, March 12. Students, please look for communications from instructors about plans for individual courses.
  • Courses that must meet in person because alternative instruction outside of the classroom is not appropriate will continue to meet in person. For the time being, this will include all laboratory, performing arts, and physical education courses, although they are encouraged to minimize in-person meetings as appropriate.

Events

• All campus-sponsored events with plans for more than 150 attendees will be canceled or postponed. These include events put on by the administration or an academic department and scheduled to take place through March 29. This does not include events scheduled by Cal Performances or Intercollegiate Athletics; however, those events should include generous refund policies for anyone who wishes not to attend for any reason. Guidance will be forthcoming regarding registered student organization events.
  • For campus-sponsored events with fewer than 150 attendees, we strongly encourage planners of those events to explore alternatives to in-person gatherings.

Campus Operations

• The campus is not closing. Campus buildings will remain open, and many campus operations will proceed normally, including student housing and dining and research support operations. Please note, however, that there may be some limitations in operations and services as managers will be allowing their employees to work remotely, when possible. More communications to managers and employees about working remotely will be provided soon.

More detailed information on these matters is posted on the campus’s coronavirus information website. Additional details, and the most up-to-date news, for students and instructorspertaining to instruction will be posted on the Instructional Resilience Resources page.”

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Here I am, in my little house in the woods, a fully established emergency preparedness type person, topped off for any sort of quarantine... and there’s a spreading brush fire about 10-15 acres behind me.  It’s reportedly spreading in the opposite direction, but the winds are blowing toward me.

I threw an extra large bottle of hand sanitizer in the car!

Ahh man stay safe!  Hope it gets controlled soon.

1 hour ago, Katy said:

It’s been reported that way here.  They said 1 in 20 people which is not quite accurate but scarily close 

One of my friends just posted on Facebook that she's going on a cruise today.  I'm washing hands, buying a few extra staples, and trying to make sure my elderly parents have what they need, but I'm not one who is panicking, hoarding, or avoiding all large groups. Still, there's no way I'd want to get on a cruise ship right now.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

La repubblica is reporting that the 1st patient in Condogno is moving from intensive care to sub intensive care because he is breathing alone.  Just in case we are still thinking this only affects the elderly he is 39.  He’s been in serious condition since 21st of February.

his wife is eight months pregnant and has been able to return home from hospital.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Acadie said:

I think we're in the same state. Governor declared a public emergency.

This may convince dh, who has asthma, to skip an optional event tonight with 300 people. I'd already decided not to go.

39 minutes ago, mom2scouts said:

I just got an automated call from my city health department notifying us that the first cases (3) have been confirmed in our state.

This is in the county next to ours.  I'm not surprised, though.  I just assume it's everywhere but hardly anyone has been tested.  

• Like 3

Just got home from a grocery pick up, and took a quick looksy.  My regular store is pretty well stocked on almost everything. Came home to learn there’s a presumptive positive in my county.  I CANNOT GET QUARANTINED!  I’m kind of laughing about it (that’s how I do), but I really need life to stay normal for 11 more days!!!

• Like 1

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/covid-19-coronavirus-all-of-italy-to-be-placed-under-lockdown-12520536
“COVID-19: All of Italy to be placed under lockdown, says PM

(Updated: 10 Mar 2020 06:30AM)

ROME: Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte on Monday (Mar 9) extended measures to tackle the new coronavirus across the whole country, telling people to "stay at home" and banning public gathering as well as Serie A football matches.

The unprecedented measures covering the entire Mediterranean nation of more than 60 million people came into force after Italy reported 97 more deaths that took its toll to 463.”

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Have you ever gotten the pneumonia vaccine?  It has helped me a lot.  (Won't work on COVID19 since pneumonia itself is caused by various viruses and bacteria and the vaccine targets those as much as it can.)

As far as jokes go.  People can take things seriously and still joke.  I think that we need that release at times.  It's when those jokes are in the form of ignorant minimizing that it gets dangerous. 

There are two separate pneumonia vaccines.  I have gotten both of them, Together they cover 36 forms of pneumonia.  But you cannot get both at the same time.  One is Prevnar13 and the other is Pneumovax23.  Your doctor or pharmacist will tell you how far apart to get them.  Either one can be taken with a flu vaccine, if you haven't gotten on.

https://www.cdc.gov/features/adult-pneumococcal/index.html

• Like 4

1 minute ago, TravelingChris said:

There are two separate pneumonia vaccines.  I have gotten both of them, Together they cover 36 forms of pneumonia.  But you cannot get both at the same time.  One is Prevnar13 and the other is Pneumovax23.  Your doctor or pharmacist will tell you how far apart to get them.  Either one can be taken with a flu vaccine, if you haven't gotten on.

https://www.cdc.gov/features/adult-pneumococcal/index.html

Yes, I have had both. Good point. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Looked it up.  22.75% of Italy's population is over 65.   US it's 15.81% over 65.  And for extra stats, in China it's only 11.9%

Its important to look at local numbers.  My county is 22% over 65.  We are rural and our hospitals are not equipped to deal with serious issues.  Anything serious gets to transported. 

• Like 4

The American Chemical Society cancelled their conference later this month. I'm glad my parents aren't going (my mom is annoyed because she was really looking forward to it for social reasons), but it is going to hurt a lot of grad students and early career folks who need the networking-ans probably won't get costs reimbursed without proof of conference attendance. Even with reimbursement, a conference is often a major expense to folks early in their career, and without it, it's devastating. 

• Sad 3

3 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

Its important to look at local numbers.  My county is 22% over 65.  We are rural and our hospitals are not equipped to deal with serious issues.  Anything serious gets to transported. 

It's probably true thatmost of rural America has a higher percentage of older people than the cities...

20 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

The American Chemical Society cancelled their conference later this month. I'm glad my parents aren't going (my mom is annoyed because she was really looking forward to it for social reasons), but it is going to hurt a lot of grad students and early career folks who need the networking-ans probably won't get costs reimbursed without proof of conference attendance. Even with reimbursement, a conference is often a major expense to folks early in their career, and without it, it's devastating. 

the American Physical Society meeting would have started last Monday, and they canceled Saturday night. Lots of people esp from overseas had already left of course. DH's group had seven people going, and they got the message a few hours before they were supposed to leave. We organized a poster session on campus so at least the students could present their work to somebody, but it isn't the same of course. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

It's probably true thatmost of rural America has a higher percentage of older people than the cities...

And more families without internet or reliable internet. It's going to be a huge problem if we wind up going to eLearning. 

• Like 2